Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

I have to admit that there is something mesmerising about that radar dish when there is a shot of Luca in the cockpit. It just goes round and around and around and around and around and around and around and around.......... :wacko:

Taksraven

Hahaha, I caught myself doing the same thing. Here I am supposed to be reading the subtitles and watching Luca's character, but all I can concentrate on is the dish going round and round behind the cockpit. It was a very pretty piece of animation, what can I say. A true geek-out moment :)

Edited by Mr March

What amazes me is the ability of the large Vajra to fire it's main cannon successively within less than a minute. Must be some power generator in that bio-orgnanic thingy.

The only NUNS interior facility we've seen is the cavernous CIC durign the initial battle of the first episode. Since then, we've focused pretty much exclusively on the SMS ship in its berth on the side of Island 1. When it finally launches, it should be a great day indeed.

In any case, right now SMS are the only guys who have the technology sufficient enough to repel the Vajra so far, and even THAT is a tough nut. If and when new technology appears (music-based or otherwise) that will let the Frontier forces fight the Vajra more effectively, I'm sure NUNS will grab it and screw THAT up too, keeping SMS at the frontlines.

But boy, don't we know a lot of VF-171 pilots are maaaaaaad... A bunch of corporate mercs are flying around with the latest models, while they're stuck with ineffective planes that can't even scratch the enemy. What's keeping NUNS from starting to upgrade their forces by adding in a VF-25 squadron or two? They should have botht he facilities and plans to build them, and quickly, if Macross 7 is any indication...

Mark

I think the Vajra has size going for it. It's many times larger than the Valkyries and even the big Queadluun-Rau Lambda. It has to be easily 50 meters in overall length. So I'd guess it has a large reactor. Even so, I have to say the Vajra are pretty impressive technology overall. They are as fast or faster than the best SMS Valkyrie, they have as much firepower as a medium-sized warship gun and they obviously have very powerful armor which even the Energy Converting Armor on the Valkyries can't compare.

I have to say, at this point in the series I am just itching to see the SMS's VB-6 Konig Monster take flight and have a shot at the Red Vajra. I want to see the VB-6 Konig Monster finally get some anime love and I want to see those big rail guns rip that red bug a new one :)

Edited by Mr March

But boy, don't we know a lot of VF-171 pilots are maaaaaaad... A bunch of corporate mercs are flying around with the latest models, while they're stuck with ineffective planes that can't even scratch the enemy. What's keeping NUNS from starting to upgrade their forces by adding in a VF-25 squadron or two? They should have botht he facilities and plans to build them, and quickly, if Macross 7 is any indication...

Mark

Well, SMS have a couple of things going for them. I don't really expect that they actually paid for the 25s, I think they have to pay for the ongoing costs and repairs etc, but from what I gather, and if the translations are right, they were actually asked to perform live testing for the 25.

The only thing that is keeping the NUNS from getting this new equipment is 1.) they have bugger all cash and 2.) they weren't asked by whatever company to trial their new designs.

I think the Vajra has size going for it. It's many times larger than the Valkyries and even the big Queadluun-Rau Lambda. It has to be easily 50 meters in overall length. So I'd guess it has a large reactor. Even so, I have to say the Vajra are pretty impressive technology overall. They are as fast or faster than the best SMS Valkyrie, they have as much firepower as a medium-sized warship gun and they obviously have very powerful armor which even the Energy Converting Armor on the Valkyries can't compare.

Don't forget the little Vajras. Remember Ep 3 in the beginning when NUNS finally engaged? Those little things were zig zagging all over the place, it was nuts. And they don't have to transform like 25s to do it.

I have to say, at this point in the series I am just itching to see the SMS's VB-6 Konig Monster take flight and have a shot at the Red Vajra. I want to seethe VB-6 Konig Monster finally get some anime love and I want to see those big rail guns rip that red bug a new one :)

I certainly hope they go beyond the little machine gun that is mounted at the nose. :lol:

BTW...As some of as have seen the Super Pack does not include attachments to the forearms to the VF-25. So I guess the knife that Ozma and Altoh draw from the left forearm of the VF-25 is also a standard load-out of the VF, and not part of the armored or super packs?

ALSO......

vlcsnap-92332882.jpg.xs.jpg

KK is in a sitting position inside the Q-Rau??? Did anyone notice that?

I've read somewhere here in MW discussion of how a Meltrandi is supposedly positioned insde a Q-Rau. IIRC some have argued that the Q-Rau would actually would be like a suit around the Meltrandi pilot, thus when a leg is blown off the respective leg of the Meltrandi pilot gets blown off two. Ths picture seems above clearly contradicts this argument.

BTW sorry about the quality of th pic, VLC seems to screw it up. :-(

I have to say, at this point in the series I am just itching to see the SMS's VB-6 Konig Monster take flight and have a shot at the Red Vajra. I want to seethe VB-6 Konig Monster finally get some anime love and I want to see those big rail guns rip that red bug a new one :)

Unfortunately the Lobster Vajra has greater agility over the Monster. The monster may be able to own the Lobster until it gets close, and then it's Vajra hamma time... :p

In any case, right now SMS are the only guys who have the technology sufficient enough to repel the Vajra so far, and even THAT is a tough nut. If and when new technology appears (music-based or otherwise) that will let the Frontier forces fight the Vajra more effectively, I'm sure NUNS will grab it and screw THAT up too, keeping SMS at the frontlines.

Mark

I dont kno about if Music based weapons are gonna be used like in M7. So far the Vajra are attracted to Singers. They might collect Sprita just like the Protodeviln since they have been seen in other places at differnt times. Remains of Protocultre. And from the looks of it they dont have much problems the Zenteradi.

The VF-171 could destroy a Vajara. If the right pilot is at the controls. So far we seen the Red Vajra take alot of damage and get its head blown off and still fight back. Kind of a shock 2 the grunts. But yeah SMS are doing more damage than NUNS. but there is only so Few of the VF-25 that Mass production might come later on in the series just like in M7. VF-21 replaced the lost VF-11 and VF-19's that where lost until the fleet could rebuild. Its not a matter of they cant produce them...Just never had much of a need for them until now.

grss1982

I did notice that actually and I'm glad they show the cockpit as a seated machine. There's always been debate how exactly the pilot sits inside the Queadluun-Rau cockpit, especially since there isn't room for the legs to go anywhere. I recall a discussion we had when the Queadluun-Rau Lambda pictures were first posted from magazine scans. I myself speculated that the new Q-Rau Lambda appeared made for miclone pilots, since there was even less lower body room than the traditional Q-Rau. But we now know it's made for full-sized Meltrandi and they do indeed sit inside, not unlike the Reguld it seems, though much more comfortable :)

Zinlibidinous

But we've never seen the VB-6 in action. Except for the video game and I don't think we can rely on that as a benchmark for Frontier, since Kawamori and Co. will likely do their own thing. I wouldn't think the VB-6 Konig would be nearly as fast as a VF-25 or the Queadluun-Rau Lambda, but I don't see it crawling around like a turtle either. According to the statistics, the VB-6 Konig is only a third the weight of the original Destroid Monster, so it should be much faster and more maneuverable than the old beast slowly shuffling around on the SDF-1 outer deck.

Edited by Mr March

I've read somewhere here in MW discussion of how a Meltrandi is supposedly positioned insde a Q-Rau. IIRC some have argued that the Q-Rau would actually would be like a suit around the Meltrandi pilot, thus when a leg is blown off the respective leg of the Meltrandi pilot gets blown off two. Ths picture seems above clearly contradicts this argument.

We've never seen how the girls sit in a Q-Rau. We took a guess based on the toy, but the toy has a non-posing figurine so that may not be accurate.

grss1982

I did notice that actually and I'm glad they show the cockpit as a seated machine. There's always been debate how exactly the pilot sits inside the Queadluun-Rau cockpit, especially since there isn't room for the legs to go anywhere. I recall a discussion we had when the Queadluun-Rau Lambda pictures were first posted from magazine scans. I myself speculated that the new Q-Rau Lambda appeared made for miclone pilots, since there was even less lower body room than the traditional Q-Rau. But we now know it's made for full-sized Meltrandi and they do indeed sit inside, not unlike the Reguld it seems, though much more comfortable :)

Zinlibidinous

But we've never seen the VB-6 in action. Except for the video game and I don't think we can rely on that as a benchmark for Frontier, since Kawamori and Co. will likely do their own thing. I wouldn't think the VB-6 Konig would be nearly as fast as a VF-25 or the Queadluun-Rau Lambda, but I don't see it crawling around like a turtle either. According to the statistics, the VB-6 Konig is only a third the weight of the original Destroid Monster, so it should be much faster and more maneuverable than the old beast slowly shuffling around on the SDF-1 outer deck.

Ah yes the Regult/Reguld. Those things brings back fond memories. :lol:

The Konig could atleast be much faster than the Destroid Monster lumbering on the deck of the Asuka II in Macross Zero as well. Remeber that one, people? You know the one with the retracble CLAWS!!! :ph34r::blink:

Anyways..speaking of the Konig and big ass guns, who here thinks that the SMS has planet busting nukes or what was that called again?

EDIT: I'm going to bed now. Its 12:00 Midnight already. :ph34r: And as clearly quoted by Azrael, I really need some sleep. :lol:

Edited by grss1982

If you mean reaction weaponry, they almost certainly have them. The Macross 7 fleet certainly had a stockpile they used on several occasions, and had missiles that could be deployed on fighters. I'm sure it's a matter of time before they suggest using them, though in Macross they tend to be a strategic weapon.

Regarding this Q-Lambda, I'm thinking it's a slightly larger mecha based on the scale we see it in. In both SDFM and the M7 movie, the pilot is seen head and shoulders inside the mecha, with her arms extending into the shoulder joints. Here, the pilot is seated fairly comfortably in the chest cavity. So, either these Meltran pilot are smaller than Miria and company were at their giant size, or the Q-Lambda is larger than its Q-Rau progenitors.

We learn slightly more and more about the SMS ship here, now that we've seen the actual launch sequence. For starters, I think it's significantly smaller than the New Macross carriers or even the original Macross. The ship almost certainly has its left arm dedicated to fighter launch and recovery, with the other housing the big cannon, not unlike how the original Macross had the Prometheus and Daedalus. I'm REALLY looking forward to the unveiling of this guy.

Mark

I have to say, at this point in the series I am just itching to see the SMS's VB-6 Konig Monster take flight and have a shot at the Red Vajra. I want to see the VB-6 Konig Monster finally get some anime love and I want to see those big rail guns rip that red bug a new one :)

Judging by the way the Large Vajra glowed when Alto used the zentradi plasma cannon on it, I bet the whole body of the Vajra is a reactor (that could explain why they can throw EMPs & why they have an "effect" on ppl... radiation!). They must have a fold generator also, so my best guess is that the cannon on its top fires superdimension energy from said generator, similar to the one in the big Macross class ships & the zentradi gunships...

If u remember episode 2 the small Vajra also have a similar cannon on its "nose"...

The Macross Compendium has some info on this as well...

grss1982

Yeah I remember the Monster from Zero. But it's hard to use the old prequel and original Monster as a benchmark since it's three times as heavy as the VB-6 Konig and the original Destroid Monster was never deigned to fly. The HWR-00 Monster Mk II was 285.5 tons while the VB-6 Konig Monster is 101.9 tons. I guess we have to wait and see.

Mark Nguyen

Well the DYRL Q-Rau contains the pilot's arms inside the torso and not in the arm joints. And we know how much Kawamori loves to take design from DYRL :) Seriously though, the Q-Rau has always been a stretch for a plausible pilot cockpit, at least IMO. We're only ever shown the DYRL cockpit and it shows the pilot's legs sitting inside the Q-Rau legs. But IMO, the Q-Rau hips always seemed spread too far apart to fit a pilot. But anyway, it looks like the went with sitting for the Q-Rau Lambda, so maybe it is as you say a little bit bigger. The torso does look different; the torso of the Q-Rau Lambda appears to have a bit more vertical size. Here's a picture comparison with both Q-Rau's at roughly the same size:

qrau-compared.jpg

Looking at them, the Q-Rau Lambda also seem to have a deeper torso as well. The front looks like it comes forward more than the old Q-Rau.

Kronnang

Him, I doubt the whole body is a reactor, but whatever the Vajra is it's powered by some pretty mean stuff. Yeah, I keep looking on the Macross Compendium for new stuff, but there's not much there as yet. Which is to be expected. Kawamori and Co. aren't going to publish much until the show has run more episodes.

Edited by Mr March

If you mean reaction weaponry, they almost certainly have them. The Macross 7 fleet certainly had a stockpile they used on several occasions, and had missiles that could be deployed on fighters. I'm sure it's a matter of time before they suggest using them, though in Macross they tend to be a strategic weapon.

Mark

I beg to differ.

I'd be rather surprised if a civilian force would be allowed Reaction weaponry considering how heavily regulated they are in the Macross universe.

In M7, Max needed authorization from Spacy headquarters before being allowed to use his and he was the fleet commander in UNSpacy...

I beg to differ.

I'd be rather surprised if a civilian force would be allowed Reaction weaponry considering how heavily regulated they are in the Macross universe.

In M7, Max needed authorization from Spacy headquarters before being allowed to use his and he was the fleet commander in UNSpacy...

Times have changed, and it does look like the SMS have their own New Macross class vessel. Not much of a stretch to think if they have something that powerful, they'd have access to nukes, as well.

BTW...As some of as have seen the Super Pack does not include attachments to the forearms to the VF-25. So I guess the knife that Ozma and Altoh draw from the left forearm of the VF-25 is also a standard load-out of the VF, and not part of the armored or super packs?

The VF-25 does seem to have some additional armor over the shield though for both the Super and Armoured Packs.

It looks like the knife is a standard weapon stored inside the shield.

Graham

qrau-compared.jpg

@Mr March: Is it just me or does the Q-Rau Lambda have smaller manipulators than the original Q-Rau?

ALSO....the forearm triple barreled cannons seems a bit different between the two.

The most obvious different is in the legs. If you notice the the knees of the original Q-Rau almost joins the torso, while on the Q-Rau Lambda it father from the torso area.

Maybe the original Q-Rau had the pilot encased inside it and the Q-Rau Lambda has the pilot in a Regult/Battle Pod-style cockpit? :unsure:

Edited by grss1982

Hard to say. The way Miyatake Kazutaka has drawn the Q-Rau, the hands are closer to the "viewer" than the rest of the mecha (to give a sense of depth and angle to what is normally a 2D drawing). The Q-Rau Lambda is done in the CG model so it doesn't feature that. Plus we don't yet know if both mecha are exactly the same size. Ack! No answers! :) Actually the picture you posted a while back shows Klan Klein in a sitting position when the Q-Rau Lambda cockpit opens, so we know it's quite different in a few ways from the old Q-rau. But it wouldn't work quite the same way as a Regult and it doesn't look nearly as cramped.

There's quite a few differences in the new Q-Rau Lambda. It's definitely a significant redesign. Still has all the good stuff, but it's quite nice to see an update.

Edited by Mr March

guys check the DYRL Q-rau IS VERY DIFERENT THAN THE PICTURE SHOWN!! i think the dyrl Q-rau is almost equal than the lambda in the very esquisite design at least

Q-Raus have always been one of my top most fav mecha design of all, ever since the first time i saw it in SDF:M, fell in love with it... :wub:

thanks for the pics. now gimme the toys/models :p

BTW, did the female Zentradi only operate the Q-Rau and nothing else? cos we dont see them with Regults, but then Q-Raus are supposed to be quite rare right?

SMALL HANDS!!!! :o:o:p

Yes, I was gonna use the term SMALL HANDS. :lol: But I did'nt want to start a debacle that I know nothing of. Some of the veterans here at MW hint about it being a taboo topic or something, but in my several years (four now I guess) here I have never gleamed any information on what really is the "SMALL HANDS" debacle all about. <_<

BTW, did anyone notice that Altoh's VF-25 Blade was glowing again. I am really starting to wonder what the heck is the deal with the glowing knife. <_<

Yes, I was gonna use the term SMALL HANDS. :lol: But I did'nt want to start a debacle that I know nothing of. Some of the veterans here at MW hint about it being a taboo topic or something, but in my several years (four now I guess) here I have never gleamed any information on what really is the "SMALL HANDS" debacle all about. <_<

Prequel trilogy Vader.

Graham

How do these colony fleets move? They don't seem to be travelling very fast, if they wanted to reach their destination, I'd assume they'be folding but it seems like they are just crusing which would take millions of years

How do these colony fleets move? They don't seem to be travelling very fast, if they wanted to reach their destination, I'd assume they'be folding but it seems like they are just crusing which would take millions of years

I don't think they just haphazardly fold all over the place. I imagine when the colony fleets leave their planet of origin, they fold towards a system selected via planetside observation and/or the explorations of other fleets. The colony fleet defolds in the system and then begins a lot of close-up studies on the system. If there is a suitable planet for colonization, they settle down, if not they move on to the next system on their route. All the while mapping out yet more systems for future fleets, and recon fleets, to take a look at.

It seems some colony fleets also have other assigned tasks. The Macross 7 fleet, for example, was setting up the infrastructure for a galactic communication system.

I can't wait for them to relase the information about the new Macross class ship. Looking at a fan art makes me wet my keyboard :blink:

Somehow related to this:

360_1591f9de66.jpg

On the subject of colony fleet movements

I imagine that most of the time spent traveling in a colony fleet is searching star systems for possible habitable planets. These are vast unexplored areas and every new solar system they explore has to be scouted and searched thoroughly before moving on.

Plus, these aren't just military warships traveling in haste. These are civilian fleets filled people who are not used to fold travel. Remember fold sickness they mentioned in episode 1? The Macross Frontier fleet probably makes short jumps inbetween star systems and then spends most of the time searching the systems it discovers. Or as Radd has suggested, perhaps the Frontier fleet acts as a hub for dozens of exploration groups that operate out of the Macross 25.

Shun

Q-Rau's were never rare. They've always appeared readily available. The only rare mecha ever mentioned was the Glaug (Kamjin's Battle Pod).

grss1982

As Graham has mentioned, it's all about the Darth Vader costume from Star Wars Episode Three. A massive, legendary debate was waged between some MW members about the size of the hands on the new Darth Vader costume, primarily due to some studio phototgraphs that were released of the iconic costume. I kid you not. Ever since then, "small hands" has been a running joke to describe any debate over minutiae which should be a non-issue :)

Speaking of tech minutiae, we need statistics on that damn knife :):lol:

Edited by Mr March

I can't wait for them to relase the information about the new Macross class ship. Looking at a fan art makes me wet my keyboard :blink:

Somehow related to this:

360_1591f9de66.jpg

I do believe that's from Daicon, no?

Shun

Q-Rau's were never rare. They've always appeared readily available. The only rare mecha ever mentioned was the Glaug (Kamjin's Battle Pod).

The Glaug was rare because, according to the Macross Compendium page, the factories that produced them (Roiquonmi 330048902th Zentradi Fully Automated Weaponry Development and Production) were damaged beyond repair by the Supervision Army 280,000 years ago.

Q-Rau's aren't rare, but they are the most expensive & advanced Zentradi mecha & are produced by the Quimeliquola 74710020692nd Zentradi Fully Automated Weaponry Development and Production factories. This is because of its advanced Inertia Vector Control System (Which was later adapted in the YF-21 & the VF-22).

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

The Glaug was rare because, according to the Macross Compendium page, the factories that produced them (Roiquonmi 330048902th Zentradi Fully Automated Weaponry Development and Production) were damaged beyond repair by the Supervision Army 280,000 years ago.

Q-Rau's aren't rare, but they are the most expensive & advanced Zentradi mecha & are produced by the Quimeliquola 74710020692nd Zentradi Fully Automated Weaponry Development and Production factories. This is because of its advanced Inertia Vector Control System (Which was later adapted in the YF-21 & the VF-22).

You wonder how many of these factories the UN has gotten its hands on over the years.

Yes. In fact, after watching the Q-Rau/VF-25 dogfight, I'm begining to think that perhaps the VF-25 is equipped with a new Inertia Vector Control System...

That would be interesting if true because the VF-22 had a battroid profile like the Q-Rau because of that system. It'd be interesting if they didn't have to do that anymore.

I felt that KK's Q-Rau was performing more agile movements than the VF-25 though (although the VF-25 was in fighter mode).

Interesting how the Q-Rau fully keeps pace with the VF-25. I'd have expected the VF-25 with a Super Pack ought to be able to outrun the Q-Rau (even updated) if it were in fighter mode.

BTW, did anyone notice that Altoh's VF-25 Blade was glowing again. I am really starting to wonder what the heck is the deal with the glowing knife. <_<

the glow could be from the blade made up of or coated in plasma. Its nothing like a beam saber or anything.