Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

Which makes fun for everyone trying to rationalize the existence of 3+ city ships in the Macross 5 fleet.

I'm sure they'll clarify it in the series when this puppy shows up. I'm more firmly of the opinion that the ship we see is NOT the same ship currently attached to the front of Island 1... but we'll find out soon enough.

Mark

I'm sure they'll clarify it in the series when this puppy shows up. I'm more firmly of the opinion that the ship we see is NOT the same ship currently attached to the front of Island 1... but we'll find out soon enough.

That thought came on me as well. Perhaps the ship we see in the opening is not Battle-25, but an SMS ship. We've already seen a bridge or control center for the SMS crew.

That's a good point - we saw a bridge, and we dont' know where the VF-25s launched from. It most likely wasn't the same ships our surprised VF-171 pilots came from, and it might have been too far away to have been Frontier itself. You're right, it makes sense for the SMS to have a ship of their own... But one as huge as that?!

Mark

That's a good point - we saw a bridge, and we dont' know where the VF-25s launched from. It most likely wasn't the same ships our surprised VF-171 pilots came from, and it might have been too far away to have been Frontier itself. You're right, it makes sense for the SMS to have a ship of their own... But one as huge as that?!

Mark

In one of the translations I did of one of the earlier articles in Newtype on the series, I remembered getting the impression that SMS is in command of the Battle 25.

Though, after having watched episode 2, I'm getting the feeling that they aren't, as their VFs are launching from a facility which appears to be inside (and under) City 25. They also have a rather large HQ building in the city as well.

In one of the translations I did of one of the earlier articles in Newtype on the series, I remembered getting the impression that SMS is in command of the Battle 25.

Though, after having watched episode 2, I'm getting the feeling that they aren't, as their VFs are launching from a facility which appears to be inside (and under) City 25. They also have a rather large HQ building in the city as well.

Well since capital ships would be relegated to the actual military, it does make sense that they'd be based on Island 1.

Mark

If we're still talking about the 171's in episode 1, the flight they showed going through the launch were from a Guantanimo carrier.

The bridge seen in the opening credits looks distinctly Macross-y, as does the scale of the ship and torso shape seem consistent with the New Macross class. My money's still on a refit. It may be an SMS ship, though, as the SMS command center looked more like the original Macross' bridge; while the 171's and Ghosts were being monitored by the NUNS from a significantly different CIC.

Edited by Kelsain

If we're still talking about the 171's in episode 1, the flight they showed going through the launch were from a Guantanimo carrier.

The bridge seen in the opening credits looks distinctly Macross-y, as does the scale of the ship and torso shape seem consistent with the New Macross class. My money's still on a refit. It may be an SMS ship, though, as the SMS command center looked more like the original Macross' bridge; while the 171's and Ghosts were being monitored by the NUNS from a significantly different CIC.

I expect the SMS CIC looks like the old Macross bridge for nostalgic reasons only. I got no impression that it was anything other than a room somewhere.

Actually the whole colony ship is called the M-Frontier according to the icon in the emigration sequence.

I don't doubt that the Battle / Carrier section is called both M-25 and Battle 25. It is entirely possible that both refer to different configurations of the same ship. the M-25 being the carrier while the Battle 25 could be the Attacker mode.

The Frontier must be the name of the collected modules, including M-25 and all the Islands attached to Island 1.

I just regarded "Frontier" as the fleet name. Every other name are the specific components of the fleet ie: Battle 25, Island 1, etc

Look at the bow of Battle 25, as hooked up to the front of Island 1. Now look at the "main gun" on the back of the big Macross Cannon ship. I do believe they are indeed the same vessel.

Sketchley posted and interesting notion in the episode thread underneath a spoiler and it has some merit...

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...5722&st=120

his last post on the page...

That too is a possibility considering the shear size of Island 1.

Sketchley posted and interesting notion in the episode thread underneath a spoiler and it has some merit...

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...5722&st=120

his last post on the page...

That too is a possibility considering the shear size of Island 1.

So there are possibility of several Macross class ship on Frontier fleet, interesting indeed. I also notice from the opening that Alto llaunch his VF-25 from one of the side island, probably from the hidden ship which also function as SMS secret base.

I like being right on occasion. :)

Any chance of a screencap of the suspected berth for this ship? I'm waiting patiently for the subs...

It looks great though that SMS has their own mobile fortress, which will inevitably be separated from the its home (much like SDF-1 folded away uncontrollably and City 7 was abducted). At least this time I figure most everyone on this ship will WANT to be there. :)

Mark

Edited by Mark Nguyen

Long forgotten? ;)

Most Macross stories feature unexpaected abduction of SOME kind as a major plot point. With the confirmation of a second ship, I expect they're going to eventually go out and DO something with it. In any case, I always thought that "school story" was more thematic than literal. None of the love triangle members are in the same school, after all.

Mark

Got a question on the Valkyrie Gunpods...

(1)Do they have to be exposed/open in order to fire? Or can they be fired closed? I'm assuming it opens for better heat dissipation (or just to make that more frigin cool to look at)

The animation on the episodes appear too fast and I can't tell if the particle fire in fightermode is coming from the gunpod or if its from an internal cannon within the VF's

(2)Was the blade sheathed in the gunpod, shield, or somewhere in the Valk's arm?

(3)Seems quite impractical to have a Sniper Weapon in mechanized combat. Especially when the enemy can close the gap from the sniper within seconds. Wonder what a sniper would use to defend himself should the enemy get in too close.

Long forgotten? ;)

Most Macross stories feature unexpaected abduction of SOME kind as a major plot point. With the confirmation of a second ship, I expect they're going to eventually go out and DO something with it. In any case, I always thought that "school story" was more thematic than literal. None of the love triangle members are in the same school, after all.

Mark

Considering that the "school" seems to center around the vocational highschool, I suspect that is the jumping off point. The story centers around highschool age characters.

Got a question on the Valkyrie Gunpods...

(1)Do they have to be exposed/open in order to fire? Or can they be fired closed? I'm assuming it opens for better heat dissipation (or just to make that more frigin cool to look at)

The animation on the episodes appear too fast and I can't tell if the particle fire in fightermode is coming from the gunpod or if its from an internal cannon within the VF's

(2)Was the blade sheathed in the gunpod, shield, or somewhere in the Valk's arm?

(3)Seems quite impractical to have a Sniper Weapon in mechanized combat. Especially when the enemy can close the gap from the sniper within seconds. Wonder what a sniper would use to defend himself should the enemy get in too close.

1) Heat? Possible. Better forgrip? Yeh. Make it look cool? Sure. It can collapse for fighter mode.

2) It looked like the knife came from the left arm. Where? Can't tell.

3) I prefer the term "sharpshooter" over sniper. And VFs are all-environment so who's to say they shouldn't have a sharpshooter.

1) Heat? Possible. Better forgrip? Yeh. Make it look cool? Sure. It can collapse for fighter mode.

2) It looked like the knife came from the left arm. Where? Can't tell.

3) I prefer the term "sharpshooter" over sniper. And VFs are all-environment so who's to say they shouldn't have a sharpshooter.

The VF-25 is designed for mission specific bolt on ordinance. The apparent default pack for space is the FAST Pack that Gilliam/Gideon was using, but we've seen an Armor, Elint and Sharpshooter packs now too.

As for the sharpshooter encountering a close combat situation, essentially he would need to get out of there, like a sniper would if their location is compromised. The sniper.sharpshooter role is for long range engagement, while the FAST Pack and Armor Packs are better suited for close combat.

Awww, yeah. :)

Saw the screencap of the hidden craft, and it's absolutely the "hands" of the OP sequence battle fortress sticking out under the canopy. I suspect a Miyatake design based loosely off of the sketches of what would eventually become Battle 7; some of those had the arms of the new ship be copies of the Prometheus and Daedalus carriers. Something similar seems to be happening here, with the left arm being the flight deck, and the right housing the BFG.

Now, one only wonders if Battle 25 (if that's its name) would ever separate and join this ship in a battle royale finale. :D

Mark

It could be either from the built in hip/wing root guns or on the two large cannon on ball mounts on the Armoured Pack.

Graham

I agree as well. I recognize snipers as sharpshooters that's in an undisclosed location. Just because someone uses a long range rifle doesn't make him/her a sniper IMO. The deciding factor for me would be whether the shooter is concealed or not.

I agree as well. I recognize snipers as sharpshooters that's in an undisclosed location. Just because someone uses a long range rifle doesn't make him/her a sniper IMO. The deciding factor for me would be whether the shooter is concealed or not.

Well he was trying to stay behind cover as he was looking to put in some well placed shots. But what I don't understand is that if it is a projectile weapon or a energy weapon.

1. We didn't see any rounds drop ( or they didn't care to animate that)

2. Only energy weapons really open up like that to disperse heat really.

3. That Gunpod could be a improvement of the VF-17 Nightmares high energy beam cannon attachment??