Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

Also, take into account that the Macross 5 fleet had like 2 or 3 Macross class colony ships plus the Neo-Nup ship at its core....so some fleets might have more than 1 macross class ship in the content of fleet.

Also, I think it was pointed out that there were various colonization efforts made without using a UN Spacy fleet. Eden was supposed to have been discovered by one such expedition (can't find the reference, but it was in 2012), but the graphic seems to indicate that Magaroad-04 did it - and the Macross Chronology suggests that Megaroad-04 was launched in 2014. Perhaps it was discovered first, and THEN the fleet was sent to properly colonize it?

Also, while I understand that we may be reading WAY too much into a quick graphic that was on the screen for ten seconds, perhaps said graphic only depicts fleets which are still on the move. Regardless of when they launched, it might be that all the other fleets have since found homes somewhere in the galaxy, and these are the ones that are still unaccounted for in some respect. Megaroad-04 stopped at Eden and was not seen "re-departing" the planet with the other fleets, for example.

Mark

Edited by Mark Nguyen

Also, I think it was pointed out that there were various colonization efforts made without using a UN Spacy fleet. Eden was supposed to have been discovered by one such expedition (can't find the reference, but it was in 2012), but the graphic seems to indicate that Magaroad-04 did it - and the Macross Chronology suggests that Megaroad-04 was launched in 2014. Perhaps it was discovered first, and THEN the fleet was sent to properly colonize it?

Also, while I understand that we may be reading WAY too much into a quick graphic that was on the screen for ten seconds, perhaps said graphic only depicts fleets which are still on the move. Regardless of when they launched, it might be that all the other fleets have since found homes somewhere in the galaxy, and these are the ones that are still unaccounted for in some respect. Megaroad-04 stopped at Eden and was not seen "re-departing" the planet with the other fleets, for example.

Mark

There is one factor that may have led to only 13 MR's being logged, Since 13 was taken over by the Varauta, and nothing special happened to any later ships this may be the only reason those later vessels were never listed.

It's also important to note that the other Megaroads are not shown launching from Earth OR Eden. Megaroads 03, 05, 07, 08 10, 11, 12 are never seen in the Macross Frontier prologue. So where were these missing Megaroads built and from where were they launched? :)

It's also important to note that the other Megaroads are not shown launching from Earth OR Eden. Megaroads 03, 05, 07, 08 10, 11, 12 are never seen in the Macross Frontier prologue. So where were these missing Megaroads built and from where were they launched? :)

I suspect, perhaps, some of the ships went out in pairs. But we really don't know.

It should be noted that the first episode we saw might not have been finished. We've discussed this before, it may be more of a first cut than a "director's cut", as it was touted to be. We saw footage in the commercials that was clearly altered when we saw the first episode. When this show actually starts its run, we may see additional changes. Maybe that opening sequence is changed, improved, whatever.

Speaking of the Megaroad so much, I re-colored my version. I was never happy with it, so I spent some time experimenting with PS and learned a few new techniques.

NEW Megaroad-01

• I changed the lines inside the dome area from black to grey
  • I used a light blue for the interior structures/buildings rather than dark blue
  • The glass was done using a large diffused brush, the polygon selection tool and a more greenish-blue color
  • I added a layer of tiny yellow lights to the interior dome city
  • I also did various other corrections outside the dome area
megaroad01-new.gif

Old Megaroad-01

megaroad01-old.gif

Edited by Mr March

Speaking of the Megaroad so much, I re-colored my version. I was never happy with it, so I spent some time experimenting with PS and learned a few new techniques.

NEW Megaroad-01

• I changed the lines inside the dome area from black to grey
  • I used a light blue for the interior structures/buildings rather than dark blue
  • The glass was done using a large diffused brush, the polygon selection tool and a more greenish-blue color
  • I added a layer of tiny yellow lights to the interior dome city
  • I also did various other corrections outside the dome area
megaroad01-new.gif

Old Megaroad-01

megaroad01-old.gif

Impressive. The differences are quite remarkable... B))

You used a lighter hue of grey too, didn't you? More grey than purple grey...

Nice!

Edited by Zinjo

While we're looking at that graphic again, it's also important to point out that the scales are all wrong anyway. Eden is supposed to be over 11 light years away from Earth, but if the galactic extent of that graphic is accurate, then either Eden is a few THOUSAND light years from Earth, or the Milky Way is a heckuva lot smaller than we thought it was. :)

Mark

DT

Me too. At least we got a new beauty shot (was it a CG model?) shown in Macross Frontier.

Zinjelina

Thanks for the comments. Indeed the main hull color was given just a bit more grey than before. I notice that a lot of the pictures in the magazines, particularly older magazines, have an annoying tendency to over-saturate the true colors. It's something I try hard to judge on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes I have to revisit past color schemes and adjust them.

This new Megaroad turned out so well, I've already re-done the domes on the Macross 5, the Macross 7 and the Riviera Class Resort Ship. They all look brilliant now.

Mark Nguyen

A good point. It's possible some modifications may yet be made. Though I think most of what we see in the Deculture edition is going to stay. Just a guess.

Zinjelina

Thanks for the comments. Indeed the main hull color was given just a bit more grey than before. I notice that a lot of the pictures in the magazines, particularly older magazines, have an annoying tendency to over-saturate the true colors. It's something I try hard to judge on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes I have to revisit past color schemes and adjust them.

This new Megaroad turned out so well, I've already re-done the domes on the Macross 5, the Macross 7 and the Riviera Class Resort Ship. They all look brilliant now.

I like it!

It really brings out the fact that their is clear windows surrounding the city. Something the lineart never captured.

I also like it, though personally I'd tone down the hue of the windows by increasing their transparency or tinting them a little less brightly. It looks fine and accurate, and does justice to a great design, but honestly in some ways it looks like a really big aquarium ship. :)

Mark

Edited by Mark Nguyen

the yf-19 and yf-21 reached a certain limit where they couldn't go any faster or risk endangering the pilot (guld in mac plus). however, the vf-25 is even faster, which must mean that some new technology exists to make this possible. it is also safe to assume that there are many other new and as yet unrevealed technologies (thanks for nothing mag).

I believe this means VF-25 does not have the cooling problems that the engines of the YF-19 and YF-21 had.

I believe this means VF-25 does have the cooling problems that the engines of the YF-19 and YF-21 had.

????????

If it says the VF-25 is even faster than the YF-21 & YF-19, how are you reading into it that the VF-25 has the same engine cooling problems?

Graham

????????

If it says the VF-25 is even faster than the YF-21 & YF-19, how are you reading into it that the VF-25 has the same engine cooling problems?

Oops. That should say:

I believe this means VF-25 does not...

From the looks of the TIAF display, looks like we have letter designations now:

VF-25F (in Alto colors)

VF-25S (in Ozuma colors)

Please let it not be a misprint.

25559b7.jpg

Letter designations noted. I've made the changes to my OFFLINE files of the M3, so I sure hope they're right :)

Seems like I'm right (for now) that they didn't forgo for the typical VF-1 "A" designation for the 'grunt' unit but using the VF-19 "F" designation instead, Mr March. :) Just hope it's not a printing mistake done by those Bandai staffs.

Seems like I'm right (for now) that they didn't forgo for the typical VF-1 "A" designation for the 'grunt' unit but using the VF-19 "F" designation instead, Mr March. :) Just hope it's not a printing mistake done by those Bandai staffs.

It appears that the "A" designation was abandonded in the early 2040's with the VF-19A. Since this is a direct sequel to Mac 7, the "F" makes sense.

Seems like I'm right (for now) that they didn't forgo for the typical VF-1 "A" designation for the 'grunt' unit but using the VF-19 "F" designation instead, Mr March

Doubt it, there could be a grunt version that is different. In macross 7 the VF-19 had an F version, but it was not a grunt version, it was still used by Emerald Force. At the same time, prior to that, there was a VF-19A used in VFX-2. Both versions significantly different. There might still be a cyclops eyed VF-25A with one antenna that we have yet to see.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

Back to the subject, isn't the deployment of VF-25F and VF-25S in episode one is their first official deployment? If there's VF-25A, why didn't SMS deployed them? Sounds kinda weird for me.

Edited by Sulendil Ang

It appears that the "A" designation was abandoned in the early 2040's with the VF-19A. Since this is a direct sequel to Mac 7, the "F" makes sense.

also, IMO, another way to distance MF from HG. F models = the A? i mean if they really took the Aircraft Designation numbers seriously, we'd hear Block # or Mod #'s, mentioning fictitious types of Avionics or Engines, beyond what fluff they do mention...

Back to the subject, isn't the deployment of VF-25F and VF-25S in episode one is their first official deployment? If there's VF-25A, why didn't SMS deployed them? Sounds kinda weird for me.

Because Episode 1 only showed us 2 VF-25s... As I've said, we've only seen 2 versions. If they're going to appear, it probably won't be in episode 1 as we've seen.

A picture in one of last month's magazines, either Newtype or Animage that Kresphy posted did show both a blue VF-25 (Michael's?) in fighter mode and also several brown (Cannon fodder?) VF-25 in fighter mode.

Also, in the manga, Michael's VF-25 is shown as having a modified "F" type head, with what I'm guessing is some sort of sniper scope eyepiece, when he uses the long range energy weapon.

Graham

It's been a while since we've seen an "A" variant in regular combat, though. The 19F may or may not have been a "grunt" plane, since we've only ever seen four of them. In practice, only the VF-1 and VF-19 had real "A" models, that we've seen anyway.

And where be these pictures of a brown VF-25? :)

Mark

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

Maybe the VF-25A will be the standard model for the N.U.N forces. Since SMS is a private military group, the VF-25F could be specially-tuned for them.

And where be these pictures of a brown VF-25? :)

The blue and brown VF-25 in fighter mode showed up in last month's issue of Newtype (April 08 issue).

The current issue of NT is May 08. The June issue will be out in about another 8-9 days and it's only the start of April!

See attached pic.

Graham

post-11-1207024382_thumb.jpg