Macross Frontier News Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

VF-171 ELINT ftw! And hell if its hobby japan pics, you know what that means, TOY PICS FOR THE TOY SECTION TOO!

The VF-171 is proving elusive to see pics of in other modes, so I hope we see the battroid mode soon.

I'll pick up the new Hobby Japan and Dengeki Hobby today during my lunch break (in about 3.5 hours time) and try to get them scanned in after lunch).

Graham

I'll pick up the new Hobby Japan and Dengeki Hobby today during my lunch break (in about 3.5 hours time) and try to get them scanned in after lunch).

Graham

Thanks Graham. Awaiting picture floodz!

Konig monster! Great now people can't say it shouldn't have been made into a toy because it's not going to be as recognised as much. Good move.

I still have my yamato konig monster stuck in the same pose for 1 year. Hopefully the monster weapons can penetrate bug armor.. or humans are doomed :ph34r: (that was the only thing that hurt the afos in zero wasn't it?)

Konig monster! Great now people can't say it shouldn't have been made into a toy because it's not going to be as recognised as much. Good move.

I still have my yamato konig monster stuck in the same pose for 1 year. Hopefully the monster weapons can penetrate bug armor.. or humans are doomed :ph34r: (that was the only thing that hurt the afos in zero wasn't it?)

that is because they shot a reaction weapon to it.

Quick scans done on the office scanner from the new March issues of Hobby Japan Magazine and Dengeki Hobby Magazine.

I'll do some better scans when I get home tonight.

I can't say how excited I am that we are going to be seeing both the VB-6 Konig Monster and these modified Q-Raus in Frontier.

I love the shark mouth on the Konig Monster.

Still no news on Frontier toys and models though. :(

Graham

post-11-1201242346_thumb.jpg

post-11-1201242512_thumb.jpg

The new slim lower legs on the VF-171 mean that a transforming toy that is accurately proportioned in all 3-modes should be possible.

Although the chunky lower legs on the original VF-17D/S from Macross 7 look better IMO, they make it impossible to have a slim line-art accurate fighter mode toy (witness the Bandai 1/65 DX VF-17D/S).

However, the slim lower legs make me wonder whether the VF-171 does have a gunpod, or just relies on the twin chest guns only? I know the manga shows the VF-171 with a VF-17 style gunpod, but it just seems to me that there is no way it would fit in these new slim lower legs.

Graham

Awesome pics! I like the sleek new look although as Graham mentioned one wonders about the Gunpod now. And very curious if the elbow lasers are still there though from the manga it seems to be still there.

interesting design for the Q-rau. It seems to have somewhat the same kinda cannon that the Nosdjeur Ger has. It seems to have bigger pulse lasers on the hands as well.

I shudder at the thought of getting a better proportioned 1/60 Konig Monster!

Btw that ship , the one above...it looks like the arms of the Battle 7.

Edited by wolfx

Quick scans done on the office scanner from the new March issues of Hobby Japan Magazine and Dengeki Hobby Magazine.

I'll do some better scans when I get home tonight.

I can't say how excited I am that we are going to be seeing both the VB-6 Konig Monster and these modified Q-Raus in Frontier.

I love the shark mouth on the Konig Monster.

Still no news on Frontier toys and models though. :(

Graham

WOOOW VF-171 in battroid!!! GREAT!!

Thanks for the scans!

Awesome scans Graham!

The VF-171 looks great! The VB-6 Koenig Monster looks fitting with the shark mouth. About the only time I actually like seeing the shark mouth on an aircraft. And the Q-rau looks cool and weird. The shoulder cannon looks awesome. The two thingies sticking off the other shoulder... Make it look weird.

And Ranka keeps summoning the image of a dog to my mind. :p

The Q.Rau does indeed look kick ass - and the N.Ger cannon really fits it nicely! I'm also a bit iffy about those 'tanks' on the back - ah well i can just not stick them on when i get a model of this... :lol:

I wonder if the N.Ger will make a come back? I really love the cannon in the chest.

The modified Q-Rau looks like it has taken some concepts from it's male power armour counterpart.

I can't say I like the arms of the new VF-171. Cool to have a new view of all the modes of the 171 though.

Edited by kensei

So who's gonna be the first one do a custom SMS paint scheme on their Yamato 1/100 Konig Monster?

Guess we need somebody to make some custom decals or stickers.

Graham

Yamato is drooling with glee that most of their existing designs can be reused.

I'm on the fence now about the 171. I kinda miss the anime magic on this one. It looks like the VF-17 has gone on the Jared diet; and is skinnier, sure, but it looks a little out of proportion. I understand and expected the slenderizing of the legs, and I can get used to that. My main issue is with the arms. Maybe it's just the angle/pose, but the elbows look ridiculously flimsy. It's also hard to pick out details on the face, due to the color scheme and print quality. I bet when I see it in action, in context, I'll like it just fine though.

The problem may be that I am used to seeing the lineart with a dynamic pose. These shots of the 3D models just look too static to really make a grand first impression.

I do like the update of the Qrau, though. I wonder what the story behind them will be.

Edited by Kelsain

Looks like they made the Uraga alot bigger and made the Guantanamo less chunky as well. Definately like the 171, and love seeing the VB-6 back.

What's the "Macross Museum"?

Maybe a hallway of Macross stuff?

Interesting variation of the Q-Rau. I guess the big gun makes up for the smaller barreled-arm cannons. One wonders where SMS gets the money to have a VB-6 in their arsenal.

I guess the VF-171 is Kawamori's answer to making a proportioned VF-17...but like Graham wonders, where can they stick a gunpod on that thing. It feels like they made a VF-17 anorexic and called it the VF-171.

Thank you Graham!

The VF-171 looks great! That VF-171 fighter just kicks butt and I really love the new redesigned elements of this new fighter mode. It looks much more "Valkyrie-like" than F-117-like of the original. Not that I had much a problem with the original, but this is new VF-171 is just so much better.

The battroid mode is different, but great. The slimer legs look awkward at first glance, but once you start thinking "171" instead of "17" the proportions look perfect. The whole design is sleeker and slimmer and even the torso has been altered significantly. THe wings are also more pronounced in battroid mode and seem much more traditionally mounted as opposed to the much wider stance of the 17.

I LOVE the 171 GERWALK. Finally a 17-like GERWALK mode that actually looks like it works. I have to say, the VF-171 GERWALK reminds me more than a little of the YF-21/VF-22 GERWALK mode.

I agree that the only issue I have right now is the idea of a gun pod. The legs really don't look like they can carry a gun pod. At least, not like the gun pod of the original VF-17. Maybe a gun pistol :)

What's the "Macross Museum"?

I'm curious about this as well. There's a Macross Museum? Where is it? And how much to get in?