Macross Frontier News Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

Yep, thought so too!

But.. if we deduct the time of both versions of episode 1 from the total running time of 82 mins, we're left with 23 mins. That might mean that the first DVD only includes 2 episodes... who knows what the rate of episodes per disk will be for the 8 volumes that follow.

I really hope the Yakku Deculture Edition is as you mention!

OK, you may want to just count the amount of time the new scenes take up, not the whole episode. Remember the MBS version is mostly footage from the Deculture with about 3 - 4 additional scenes that were not in the DE. Those scenes don't take up 50 mins....

I think we as a community should flood Bandai Visual USA with e-mails to either bring over a NA release or at least pass on to their parent company in Japan that an English subtitle track will increas their export sales and bypass any HG interference. B))

I've just notced, but what's interesting about the ANN annoucement is that there is no mention about the broadcast version being. Does that mean this version is destined to be forgotten ?

-Sergorn

Nah, most likely the scenes will be combined into the the DE, making it a "definitive" version, kind of like the "extended" editions of the LOTR movies.

Nah, most likely the scenes will be combined into the the DE, making it a "definitive" version, kind of like the "extended" editions of the LOTR movies.

Yeah but that's what I meant... we'll have a definitive editions, but seems the broadcast version won't be edited on DVD.

-Sergorn

One thing to keep in mind, if there have been any thoughts to releasing this outside of Japan, they've already discussed it. The legal issues are well known at this point, and they'd have to a plan in place to make it happen in a timely matter (whether as Macross F or under some other title).

One thing to keep in mind, if there have been any thoughts to releasing this outside of Japan, they've already discussed it. The legal issues are well known at this point, and they'd have to a plan in place to make it happen in a timely matter (whether as Macross F or under some other title).

Unless they plan to assert their IP rights and regain Western control over the "Macross" name, it'll have to be under a different franchise name.

However, considering the many changes from the previous productions (particularly the reformation of SPACY) it does tend to give the impression that an NA release is in mind.

Edited by Zinjo

Both him an Mikhail are part of SMS and we have seen him in a flight suit in the OP.

My thanks azrael. I knew of the flight suits, but didn't knwo they were both SMS hires. But nonetheless, it's clear they're onboard with their unique colors.

edit: regarding the first episode, the DVDs include the "Deculture Edition" that runs for 27 mins (the one aired in Dec) and the "Yakku Deculture Edition" (full version) that runs for 32 mins... so that means there's a THIRD version? :blink:

This sounds fantastic. Exactly what I'd hoped for. And the ANN news article confirms it. The ultimate extended edition :)

Edited by Mr March

My thanks azrael. I knew of the flight suits, but didn't knwo they were both SMS hires. But nonetheless, it's clear they're onboard with their unique colors.

Both are seen in the SMS hangar, in SMS pilot uniforms (colour coded of course) in Eps 2.

OK, you may want to just count the amount of time the new scenes take up, not the whole episode. Remember the MBS version is mostly footage from the Deculture with about 3 - 4 additional scenes that were not in the DE. Those scenes don't take up 50 mins....

I think we as a community should flood Bandai Visual USA with e-mails to either bring over a NA release or at least pass on to their parent company in Japan that an English subtitle track will increas their export sales and bypass any HG interference. B))

+1

That'd be awesome, but who knows maybe a US release it's been planned as we speak? we can always dream.

Edited by Tobi54

+1

That'd be awesome, but who knows maybe a US release it's been planned as we speak? we can always dream.

I am not one to leave anything to chance. If enough fans let Bandai Visual USA know we are interested, then at the very least they may opt to throw an English subtitle track in with the Japanese releases for additional export revenue. Afterall Bluray's region code combines NA and Japan in the same region... :)

It does give that impression, but the reformed UN Spacy could just be the result of in-universe events. Specifically the events that occur in VF-X2.

Wait...I completely missed something. What happens in DM:VF-X2? I just assumed it was more of the same spec ops filler stuff as DM:VF-X and M3.

I am not one to leave anything to chance. If enough fans let Bandai Visual USA know we are interested, then at the very least they may opt to throw an English subtitle track in with the Japanese releases for additional export revenue. Afterall Bluray's region code combines NA and Japan in the same region... :)

I hear you, I read the post about the dvd and Blu-Ray release at work, and the first thing that came to mind was posting the exact same thing you did, but you beat me to it by the time I got home :p I'm all for it though, if there's enough interest we could try and see what happens, the worst thing that can happen is that they say no right?

Wait...I completely missed something. What happens in DM:VF-X2? I just assumed it was more of the same spec ops filler stuff as DM:VF-X and M3.

What's DM?

In VF-X2, basically a huge chunk of the UN Spacy (and other UN Armed Forces) attempt a military coup, in response to a group of terrorists ("the" Anti-UN) attempting to take over/disrupt/destroy the UNG.

In the longer "hero" version of the game, the player (you) defeats the "evil" leader of the terrorists, and are convinced to join the terrorists by your former squadron leader (who disappeared and switched sides about halfway into the game.) The terrorists (or at least the "heroic good ones" that are left), are fighting to defeat the members of the UN Spacy who have gone rogue and want to seize power (they have developed a new sound energy weapon that basically renders all missiles impotent.) The climactic battle is over Earth just after the rogue UN Spacy have taken command of the Battle Section and destroyed a big fleet with it's main gun.

In the shorter version of the game, the player doesn't switch sides, but has to battle to the death with his friend, and former squadron leader, and then at the very end, realize the corruption in the UN Spacy, and have a death match with the UN Spacy leader (the desk-jockey commanding officer in charge of the VF-X Ravens squadron), who appears to have been pulling the strings on both sides all along.

Note: it's been a couple of years since I played the game... so I may be mistaking some of the details. Though, if you search, you'll be able to find the CG animation of the Battle 13 launching from the factory satellite and firing it's main gun at UN and rogue (formerly terrorist) ships.

What's DM?

In VF-X2, basically a huge chunk of the UN Spacy (and other UN Armed Forces) attempt a military coup, in response to a group of terrorists ("the" Anti-UN) attempting to take over/disrupt/destroy the UNG.

In the longer "hero" version of the game, the player (you) defeats the "evil" leader of the terrorists, and are convinced to join the terrorists by your former squadron leader (who disappeared and switched sides about halfway into the game.) The terrorists (or at least the "heroic good ones" that are left), are fighting to defeat the members of the UN Spacy who have gone rogue and want to seize power (they have developed a new sound energy weapon that basically renders all missiles impotent.) The climactic battle is over Earth just after the rogue UN Spacy have taken command of the Battle Section and destroyed a big fleet with it's main gun.

In the shorter version of the game, the player doesn't switch sides, but has to battle to the death with his friend, and former squadron leader, and then at the very end, realize the corruption in the UN Spacy, and have a death match with the UN Spacy leader (the desk-jockey commanding officer in charge of the VF-X Ravens squadron), who appears to have been pulling the strings on both sides all along.

Note: it's been a couple of years since I played the game... so I may be mistaking some of the details. Though, if you search, you'll be able to find the CG animation of the Battle 13 launching from the factory satellite and firing it's main gun at UN and rogue (formerly terrorist) ships.

OT but maybe could some members who've played the game write up something for Wiki cuz till today Wiki doesn't have anything on VF-X.

The SDF:M does NOT get smoked at the end of VF-X2. The Battle 13 does.

There's only one "complication" with including M DM: VF-X with the chronology - at the end of it (the first game) there is a Zentraedi "main fleet" style attack on Earth... (not that this hasn't happened before in the anime or other versions of Macross anime...)

Chronological synopses of the story for the games would be nice instead of the usual "walkthroughs" on the net.

All the games tend to go to colony worlds that most don't know about. The guide books offer what appears to be interesting tidbits, but without translation they are all just pretty pictures... :(

Though, VF-X2's structure reminds me quite a bit of the Wing Commander franchise's branching story structures based on player input... ;)

There's only one "complication" with including M DM: VF-X with the chronology - at the end of it (the first game) there is a Zentraedi "main fleet" style attack on Earth... (not that this hasn't happened before in the anime or other versions of Macross anime...)

That has become such a cliche in the Macross universe (not to mention "terrorists"). Considering how fortified the world is and the number of fleets likely patrolling the system, it seems a bit pointless going after Earth. A colony world like Eden or the others would seem to make better targets, strategically.

Edited by Zinjo

Thanks, Sketch. I read it on some gaming website back when we all thought it was going to be released in the US, and was not happy about it. Glad to know its not the case. :)

According to the link that kresphy posted, and the info on CD Japan, the first DVD / Blu-ray will ONLY include episode 1 of the series in both versions...

And in Amazon Japan you can already pre-order volume 2... but not volume 1 :blink:

According to the link that kresphy posted, and the info on CD Japan, the first DVD / Blu-ray will ONLY include episode 1 of the series in both versions...

According to the Bandai press release, the run time is 82 minutes. The 2 editions of episode 1 only account for 59 minutes. So episode 2 has to be on that volume.

According to the Bandai press release, the run time is 82 minutes. The 2 editions of episode 1 only account for 59 minutes. So episode 2 has to be on that volume.

Not necessarily. What about the MBS episode 1?

Interesting, Amazon Japan lists the run time of DVD # 2 as 95 minutes, which would seem to imply 4 episodes on the disc. This works out to 23.75 minutes per episode, which seems about the right length for an anime TV series episode.

If we divide 95 minutes by 3 episodes, we get 31.66 minutes, which seems to long for an episode.

Graham

Unless if they include extras (like previews for coming attractions, special features, etc.). It's not common with the Macross anime DVDs that I've purchased, but there is a possibility of it.

And in Amazon Japan you can already pre-order volume 2... but not volume 1 :blink:

MacrossF BD preorders at amazon.jp.co:

vol-1: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF...8412&sr=8-1

vol-2: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF...8450&sr=1-1

MacrossF R2-J DVD preorderse at amazon.co.jp:

vol-1: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF...9222&sr=1-1

vol-2: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF...9324&sr=8-1

Edited by treatment

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, a spinoff manga series is about to start in this month's Comp Ace magazine. It's going to be called "Cho-ji Kuu Uta Miko Ranka" (approx. trans. - Super Dimension Singing Shrine Maiden Ranka). Link: http://www.comptiq.com/ace/index.php?%CB%D...%C7%AF%2FVOL.24

No idea on what exactly the content will be but I'm sure it'll be super cute. :lol: