Macross Frontier News Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

read all the text but there's really not a lot of new info. a lot of it was written to make it sound like it was speculation. please don't make me translate it all, as there really isn't that much that's new.

new things that i noticed:

vf-25 dimensions in fighter mode: length 18.72m width (with wings fully extended) 15.5m height (not including landing gear?) 4.03m my bad if this is not new info.

vf-25 battroid: height including lasers: 15.59m

armored vf-25 is just as fast as standard vf-25, but substantially slower than vf-25 fp (as seen when gilliam out ran ozma back to the dome).

the yf-19 and yf-21 reached a certain limit where they couldn't go any faster or risk endangering the pilot (guld in mac plus). however, the vf-25 is even faster, which must mean that some new technology exists to make this possible. it is also safe to assume that there are many other new and as yet unrevealed technologies (thanks for nothing mag).

cathy glass is the president's daughter (sorry if that's not new news).

the guy next to the president is leon mishima, an aide to the president. (sorry if that's not new)

the show is a direct sequel happening 14 years after mac 7, but the magazine gives the possibility that the timeline for mac f may be retconned a little. this is because when making a new series, making it as entertaining as possible takes precedence over completely accurate continuity. (something fanboys will never understand)

there are small vajiras and big vajiras (that may be obvious when watching ep1). after watching the first ep, it appears that human kind may have already known for some time that the vajira exist, and that may have had a part in SMS coming to existence. (i don't need to read a mag to figure that out)

VF-171 design changes from the VF-17 are for better atmospheric performance.

Edited by cyde01

the yf-19 and yf-21 reached a certain limit where they couldn't go any faster or risk endangering the pilot (guld in mac plus). however, the vf-25 is even faster, which must mean that some new technology exists to make this possible. it is also safe to assume that there are many other new and as yet unrevealed technologies (thanks for nothing mag).

Perhaps this explains the "Ride Armor" :lol:

cathy glass is the president's daughter (sorry if that's not new news).

Pretty sure it is new news, this is interesting.

the guy next to the president is leon mishima, an aide to the president. (sorry if that's not new)

Think this is new as well. Is this referring to the guy in uniform?

the show is a direct sequel happening 14 years after mac 7, but the magazine gives the possibility that the timeline for mac f may be retconned a little. this is because when making a new series, making it as entertaining as possible takes precedence over completely accurate continuity. (something fanboys will never understand)

Retconned? Nah, couldn't possibly be. :D

there are small vajiras and big vajiras (that may be obvious when watching ep1). after watching the first ep, it appears that human kind may have already known for some time that the vajira exist, and that may have had a part in SMS coming to existence. (i don't need to read a mag to figure that out)

Ayup

Spiffy... perhaps this mean we'll be seeing some planet-side combat.

Well I suspect Basara was Sheryl's inspiration, much like Minmay was his. It would explain her using the term, "Listen to my song" and her general self absorbed attitude.

The retcon may be a way for Kawmori to adjust the rather fanciful elements of Mac 7 to bring the franchise back to hardcore SciFi, like SDFM was. I am hoping for a redesign of the EVIL Series to make them scarier and more ominous, if they are shown at all.

Hell even Ron Moore has stated that BSG would not be held to the facts of its own continuity if it didn't serve the story of the show, unlike how the Star Trek franchise had become.

As for the new fighter's ability to spare the pilot excessive G forces, it could be incorporated into the new suits or possibly a miniaturized gravity control system built into the aircraft cockpit.

That is really hard to say at this point. The how and why of their "expectation" of first contact is still up to speculation.

That is plausible and since it is the new front line fighter, it would be essential for it be trans-atmospheric, since the VF-17 was optimized for space combat, like the VF-19S.

Edited by Zinjo

Pretty sure it is new news, this is interesting.

Nope. Old. ---> http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...st&p=561054

Think this is new as well. Is this referring to the guy in uniform?

Old --> http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...st&p=561054

Most of the mecha specs I got in my earlier post.

That is really hard to say at this point. The how and why of their "expectation" of first contact is still up to speculation.

But its pretty clear, based on the various translations of the rough cut episode, that they knew these things where out there, and they were *probably* expecting contact at some point. And SMS isn't there with their advanced hardware just for fleet defense.

That is plausible and since it is the new front line fighter, it would be essential for it be trans-atmospheric, since the VF-17 was optimized for space combat, like the VF-19S.

just in case, all of the following was translated from the article and not speculation on my part.

COOOL

マクロスF 手描きMAD「射手座☆午後九時Don't be late」

Macross F Sketch , Iteza GogoKuji Don't be late

Macross F Sketch , Sagittarius 9:00PM, Don't be late

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=wmX-dWwIxwI

Does look cool.

I'm not sure if the maroon variable fighter in the mecha flashes is an extrapolation of the cg fighter in the 25th Anni video or an actual fighter that we Western fans have not been privy to...

Here's another page from the Frontier article in the new issue of Great Mechanics. I hope it contains some new info about further differences between the VF-17 and VF-171.

I'll try to get all the other pages scanned in soon.

Graham

post-11-1206786098_thumb.jpg

Here's rescans of the May 2008 issue of Hobby Japan. I'm using a lower resolution (200dpi), but I found out that I do have a descreen option on my scanner, so turned it on.

Do these look better than the last try?

Graham

post-11-1206786527_thumb.jpg

post-11-1206786566_thumb.jpg

Not too sure if the scans have any new info, but from what little Japanese I can read, it did mention that VF-171 performance and mobility is lower than VF-17, but it's also much easier to be piloted. Also VF-171 is the main VF of the Macross Frontier fleet.

Not too sure if the scans have any new info, but from what little Japanese I can read, it did mention that VF-171 performance and mobility is lower than VF-17, but it's also much easier to be piloted. Also VF-171 is the main VF of the Macross Frontier fleet.

Are you sure about that translation?

That is the first time I've I've heard it said that the VF-171's performance and mobility is lower than the VF-17.

We already know the VF-171 is easier to be piloted and was designed for improved atmospheric performance over the VF-17.

Graham

There are some new facts that you've translated cyde01. Thank you so much for helping. We really appreciate it.

Seems like a lot of speculation and not much real fact so far. I'm much more curious what will be said in the official art books or this Encyclopedia Macross that is coming out. That book will definitely be THE text to translate for Macross.

Are you sure about that translation?

That is the first time I've I've heard it said that the VF-171's performance and mobility is lower than the VF-17.

We already know the VF-171 is easier to be piloted and was designed for improved atmospheric performance over the VF-17.

Graham

Well, the main text of VF-17 did mentions that VF-17's high performance makes it a difficult craft to be used by normal pilots, but again, take it with a grain of salt until someone who has much better understanding of Japanese translate the texts.

It sounds like a lot of people aren't digging what's been heard of "Triangler" so far; personally, I think I like it though (between the snippets used in the commercial, and the unfinished demo of the full song). I do agree it will help to hear it alongside the opening animation though, but it seems like a pretty nice vocal performance (especially some of the high notes she seems to hit in it).

Here's rescans of the May 2008 issue of Hobby Japan. I'm using a lower resolution (200dpi), but I found out that I do have a descreen option on my scanner, so turned it on.

Do these look better than the last try?

Graham

Much better.

I'm not too worried about Marchalongcassidy's comment about it's darkness. I can fix that with a little bit of photoshop for what I would like to use the scans for. ;)

You know, I'm barely resisting the urge to paste a witty caption into that pic of the VF-25's head.... is that head inaccurate, or does it really have that mouth shape? It looks like it's smiling, or maybe trying to swallow something whole. :huh:

The shapes and the way it's put together remind me of LEGO. Which I guess it should because SK prototypes his mecha in LEGO.