Macross Frontier News Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

Quick scans done on the office scanner from the new March issues of Hobby Japan Magazine and Dengeki Hobby Magazine.

I'll do some better scans when I get home tonight.

I can't say how excited I am that we are going to be seeing both the VB-6 Konig Monster and these modified Q-Raus in Frontier.

I love the shark mouth on the Konig Monster.

Still no news on Frontier toys and models though. :(

Graham

I am in love with the VF-171's. The Battroid still works for me, however I'd suspect that the gunpod is carried underneath the fuselage as it traditionally is on variable fighters.

Makes me wonder what kind of threat would justify breaking out such large artillery as the VB-6 Konig?

The Q-Rau's appear to be designed for Microns considering how thin the legs are and the fact that Meltran warriors wore the mecha like a suit... We'll have to see I guess. If not then we have the potential here to have a larger conflict with either a Zentreadi fleet coming in to assist or even the Galaxy fleet.

I am hoping this will be a roller coaster of a series to watch! B))

BTW, thanks again Graham for the pics! :D

Thank you Graham!

The VF-171 appears to have been seriously depowered, no more heavy battroid. Other than this it looks good. It must be noted that in earlier sketches the VF-17 was supposed to have a longer nose.

On the contrary, the Queadlunn Rau has gained new weapons. It seems the Frontier Fleet will be involved in heavy troubles.

FV

I'm curious about this as well. There's a Macross Museum? Where is it? And how much to get in?

I think I found the answer, it's at the bottom on one of the scans that Graham uploaded. I cannot translate everything, but there's a mention of a Macross Booth in the 2008 WonderFestival (!). Apparently that's where the 25th Anniversary Macross Museum will be and there's a mention of a Macross F promo.

That will be interesting... hopefully the "promo" will include the toys :)

I think I found the answer, it's at the bottom on one of the scans that Graham uploaded. I cannot translate everything, but there's a mention of a Macross Booth in the 2008 WonderFestival (!). Apparently that's where the 25th Anniversary Macross Museum will be and there's a mention of a Macross F promo.

When is the Wonder Festival?

Well the festival is a showcase for all the new toys / kits in development, so no doubt Bandai will have some prototypes to display for Frontier...

Hmm, I wonder if CMS is on board with trading figures for the new series?

Edited by Zinjo

I don't know if the VF-171 has been depowered but I will agree it's a possibility. IMO, I think the gun pod is the deciding factor based on what little we know so far. I'm still not yet subscribing to the theory that the VF-171 lacks internal missiles. There are what look like missile launcher ports (one per forward side fuselage) on the VF-171 in almost the exact location as the VF-17. Also, there are similar ports on the ventral fuselage/upper legs of the VF-171. It still remains to be seen if the medium-bore laser cannons on the arms are also featured on the VF-171.

On the up side, the VF-171 carries extensive underwing ordnance, something the VF-17s did not. The only time the VF-17 had extra ordnance was with the Super Packs and from the looks of the ordnance carried by the VF-171 in Macross Frontier, it may have just as many missiles or more. There are 6 underwing hardpoints on the VF-171 seen in the first episode, carrying a variety of missiles and launchers.

On another note, did anyone else notice that the enemy mechanoids seem to fly via flagella? They have no visible method of traditional propulsion, but the small gold fighters have glowing tails that they seem to use to propel themselves. They also use this "tail" as a weapon. The red mechanoids don't have any glowing parts, but they also feature a tail. Someone on another board also mentioned that the official website is calling the enemy mechanoids Bajura

Edited by Mr March

I noticed that too about the capital ships.

just a note, in the article the ships are listed as uraga class and maizuru class.

Yay, the monsters are back with a vengeance :rolleyes: . I just wish they show the VB-6 front side in destroid mode rather than it a$$ shot :lol: .

So with the Q-Rau confirmed, there must be several hot large Meltran chick running around in the frontier fleet B)) .

The Q-Rau's appear to be designed for Microns considering how thin the legs are and the fact that Meltran warriors wore the mecha like a suit... We'll have to see I guess. If not then we have the potential here to have a larger conflict with either a Zentreadi fleet coming in to assist or even the Galaxy fleet.

No, they don't wear it like a suit. The Meltran's arms stay in the toso, not in the Q-Rau's arms.

Also (at least according to Yamato), the Meltrans legs actually go into the backpack, not intothe Q-Rau's legs. I think Yamato's interpretation is correct.

Graham

No, they don't wear it like a suit. The Meltran's arms stay in the toso, not in the Q-Rau's arms.

Also (at least according to Yamato), the Meltrans legs actually go into the backpack, not intothe Q-Rau's legs. I think Yamato's interpretation is correct.

Graham

Then I stand corrected. I always believed they were in the legs like the Nos.

On another note, did anyone else notice that the enemy mechanoids seem to fly via flagella? They have no visible method of traditional propulsion, but the small gold fighters have glowing tails that they seem to use to propel themselves. They also use this "tail" as a weapon. The red mechanoids don't have any glowing parts, but they also feature a tail. Someone on another board also mentioned that the official website is calling the enemy mechanoids Bajura

That's why I suggested earlier on that there may be some truth to Keith's speculations that the space whales from Dynamite were created by the PC.

The Hammerheads appear to "swim" through space as opposed to being propelled by some sort of an engine exhaust.

Yay, the monsters are back with a vengeance :rolleyes: . I just wish they show the VB-6 front side in destroid mode rather than it a$$ shot :lol: .

So with the Q-Rau confirmed, there must be several hot large Meltran chick running around in the frontier fleet B)) .

if you mean in their giant size, not necessarily, it could be just that they replaced destroids with them, have a cockpit for normal human size.

if you mean in their giant size, not necessarily, it could be just that they replaced destroids with them, have a cockpit for normal human size.

Maybe, but that would be large a$$ed destroids! The idea of space propelled destroids has been stablished in SDFM tho (granted we never saw how well they operated flying in space...).

That's why I suggested earlier on that there may be some truth to Keith's speculations that the space whales from Dynamite were created by the PC. The Hammerheads appear to "swim" through space as opposed to being propelled by some sort of an engine exhaust.

Very weird connection. Not sure I really follow, but anyway, yeah the gold hammerhead critters are all wiggling hard core :)

Now that I've had a chance to look closer, it's looking almost twice as long as the original.

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%207/...ttlecarrier.gif

The angles do seem much more shallow, but it's the bridge that really makes the "New Uraga" look so much larger. The new bridge looks nearly half the size of the old bridge, which makes the rest of the ship look really big.

yes

2月24日(日)に開催されるワンダーフェスティバルで

「25th Anniversary MACROSS MUSEUM」を出展。

内容は、25年に渡るマクロス関連商品の展示と、

『マクロスF』最新プロモの上映。

関連メーカー商品の限定・先行販売を予定されているそうです。

and

少年エース3月号に情報がありました。

コンプエース4月号(2月26日発売)(Comp Ace Apr. Issue, Feb. 26 publish )より「マクロスF」外伝連載開始!!

漫画:黒岩よしひろ

ランカちゃんが大暴れ!?

Edited by kresphy

yes

2月24日(日)に開催されるワンダーフェスティバルで

「25th Anniversary MACROSS MUSEUM」を出展。

内容は、25年に渡るマクロス関連商品の展示と、

『マクロスF』最新プロモの上映。

関連メーカー商品の限定・先行販売を予定されているそうです。

and

少年エース3月号に情報がありました。

コンプエース4月号(2月26日発売)(Comp Ace Apr. Issue, Feb. 26 publish )より「マクロスF」外伝連載開始!!

漫画:黒岩よしひろ

ランカちゃんが大暴れ!?

Umm... I see a bunch of question marks :D

Ranka does remind me of a dog, interpret it as you like. :p:lol:

I like and dislike the VF-171 gerwalk mode. I like it better than the VF-17 gerwalk with the arms flipped back, but it still looks... off. I do like that battroid, even in the soso pose.

Maybe they're bringing in the fleet of strongest women? :) Or a fleet led by a young Miria clone.

The angles do seem much more shallow, but it's the bridge that really makes the "New Uraga" look so much larger. The new bridge looks nearly half the size of the old bridge, which makes the rest of the ship look really big.

No, actually the bridge is the same, but the flight deck looks like it's been extended, even with the odd angle in the line art. In the line art the bridge is quite large in comparison to the rest of the ship.

It is possible that the Frontier Uraga is showing the "proper" scale of the carrier compared to Mac 7's animation.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...launch-in-japan

The upcoming Macross Frontier robot anime series will spin off its second manga series — before the anime officially premieres — in the April issue (on sale on February 26) of Kadokawa's Monthly Comp Ace magazine. Yoshihiro Kuroiwa, a creator best known for the Kishin Dōji Zenki manga series and its anime adaptation, will draw the tentatively titled Macross F Gaiden (Macross Frontier Side Story). This manga will focus on the budding singer Ranka Lee.

<snip>..

In related news, the sponsor Big West will assemble a 25th Anniversary Macross Museum exhibit at the Wonder Festival model event in the Tokyo Big Sight event center on February 24. In addition to displaying rare Macross materials, the exhibit will offer limited edition items and pre-orders for upcoming items. It is also scheduled to show the newest promotional video for Macross Frontier.

I'm very interested in what the preorders are for as well as the limited editions items. :ph34r:

I don't know if the VF-171 has been depowered but I will agree it's a possibility.

At least most of armor has been removed. It's not a "nightmare" anymore, more like a "goblin" :p

On the up side, the VF-171 carries extensive underwing ordnance, something the VF-17s did not.

Depowered doesn't mean inoffensive :)

Even the VF-0, though lacking the thermonuclear engines of the VF-1, has more missiles in its raid configuration than a super VF-1.

On another note, did anyone else notice that the enemy mechanoids seem to fly via flagella? They have no visible method of traditional propulsion, but the small gold fighters have glowing tails that they seem to use to propel themselves. They also use this "tail" as a weapon. The red mechanoids don't have any glowing parts, but they also feature a tail.

From what is seen in the first episode sometimes the whole Vajra has a red glow, sometimes only the tail glows.

Someone on another board also mentioned that the official website is calling the enemy mechanoids Bajura

I think it stands for Vajra, it meens lightning.

FV

Ah, I love seeing artwork for stuff. I was already quite attached to the VF-171, and these pictures just sell me on it even more. (I have a great love of the "workhorse" mecha, like Plus/Seven's VF-11 and the VF-171 looks like it is very much in that category). In terms of gunpods - I don't recall seeing a VF-171 using a gunpod in the first episode of Frontier, so I'm not willing to speculate on where it might be stowed - it might be under-fuselage, it might be in a "chine" mount for all I can tell at this stage. I figure time will tell one way or another.

Do like some of the character models in the scans - in fact the only character model in Frontier I am not sold on yet is Ranka - which is a pity. I like the character, but she looks a little too "ten-year old" for me to be entirely comfortable with the characters at this stage of proceedings. I quite like the rest of the character designs though.

Karl

No, actually the bridge is the same, but the flight deck looks like it's been extended, even with the odd angle in the line art. In the line art the bridge is quite large in comparison to the rest of the ship.

It is possible that the Frontier Uraga is showing the "proper" scale of the carrier compared to Mac 7's animation.

Yeah the distance between the lower deck hangar openings and the deck edge are definately longer.

just a note, in the article the ships are listed as uraga class and maizuru class.

The ship may still be referred to as an Uraga, but is more of a sub-class to that, just like the one from VF-X2 isn't actually a Uraga but more of a sub-class. As for the Maizuru same thing as with the "Uraga"

All of the ships in Frontier appear larger, although I still haven't seen the new Bolognese frigate that people have mentioned.

By the way what is the Japanese word for Island.

wow, just saw the scans of the mecha and now i can't wait to see wich other VF's will be featured, hopefully we'll get some VF-4. Also the monster featured in those scans just gave me a perfect excuse to eventually buy one. also will try to pick a Q-Rau.

truly this is the best time to be a macross fan. can't wait for the figures once the are releeased (hope i don't have to wait two years like with M0).

No. It's becoming apparent that the designs should be considered re-imaginations of the original designs. It's evident that the model builders didn't get much of any C&C on their work from 'the big head'.

And since this is becoming a "merged universe" for all Macross material (games included, gods what a clusterfart!) that it should stand as being a separate universe from SDF:M & M7's universe. (i sight Enterprise vs Star Trek continuity)

No. It's becoming apparent that the designs should be considered re-imaginations of the original designs. It's evident that the model builders didn't get much of any C&C on their work from 'the big head'.

And since this is becoming a "merged universe" for all Macross material (games included, gods what a clusterfart!) that it should stand as being a separate universe from SDF:M & M7's universe. (i sight Enterprise vs Star Trek continuity)

Except not. Macross 7 had really cheap animation so it could be have messed up the scaling and VFX-1, VFX-2, and M3 have always been a part of the story. It's not like they're trying to include the PC Engine games or Scramble Valkyrie.

The 25th Anniversary Macross Museum exhibit is held at February 24? Darn, its the same day as my son 2nd birthday, if not I will staying at Tokyo Big Sight for an entire day drooling :lol: .

Need one or two member to go there with camera, and must report it back at this forum :rolleyes:

The 25th Anniversary Macross Museum exhibit is held at February 24? Darn, its the same day as my son 2nd birthday, if not I will staying at Tokyo Big Sight for an entire day drooling :lol: .

Need one or two member to go there with camera, and must report it back at this forum :rolleyes:

There will be plenty of cameras there already. Wonder Festival is a fairly large toy convention in Japan.

There will be plenty of cameras there already. Wonder Festival is a fairly large toy convention in Japan.

yeah....you heard that SaveRobotech? :lol:

Get your sorry behind there and take some pics. ^_^

Doubtful, since SK is Supervising Director, thus has final say in all the animation, including mecha and character designs. He may have always intended these carriers to look larger than they were presented in M7. In M+, the Maizuru appeared considerably larger in the floor window of the scene when Dyson was getting re-assigned in the Captain's office.

IMO all the scales of the capital ships in M7 were often skewed when animated and appeared smaller than what they should have. One could argue that the ships in the Frontier fleet are the Uraga II and Maizuru II classes. Same design only larger. The basic layout design of a modern aircraft carrier really hasn't changed much since WWII, however they've become considerably larger than before.