Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

OK, this is definitely an alternate universe situation, in that the events of DYRL are the canon story not SDFM and clearly a reboot of the franchise history for international consumption.

The NUNS appears to be the reformation of the UNS after the destruction of the Earth and by the brief backstory it appears that mankind colonized the stars "instead" of rebuilding the Earth, each subsequent colony world would then send out more fleets.

The distinct differences to the original timeline are the fact that the Mac 7 colony fleet is a contemporary to the Megaroad 01 as well as the Frontier fleet. How much of the original chronology has been retained is yet unclear. As well as the fact that the City ship didn't have a BattleShip at it's front and the whole ship is called a Space Defense Fortress, no longer a Super Dimension Fortress.

LOVED the VF-171!! I was no fan of the VF-17, but this new one is a beauty so are the 25's.

I found that the NUNS pilots being barely competent a bit of a stretch compared the the mercs, but I can only hope that is because they are so green and will get better as the series progreses.

No destroids? C'mon!!! They were a staple in DYRL and would finally be useful as a civil defense units on the colony ships.

Those bio-mecha bugs are definitely PC or at the very least PC based (possibly SA units) the markings on the hulls are too similar to the Mayan artifact markings in Zero.

Loved the music very techno dance and the new singer is definitely a good choice. Her singing definitely reminded me of Mari's music from SDFM...

I agree that those are very real possibilities. I could also be that they are approaching a remanant of a surviving PC outpost and any strangers to the region get attacked in order to preserve it. Lets face it a mecha with an energy bolt as powerful as a Macross cannon? Definitely PC tech level...

I 100% disagree. 7 already established that due to the popularity of DYRL, it's treated as history by those who weren't there. And in fact, 90% of the flashbacks used in 7's prologues were DYRL based.

As for the enemy

I agree that it has something to do with Sheryl possibly being related to Mao, it's just too coinicdental

The distinct differences to the original timeline are the fact that the Mac 7 colony fleet is a contemporary to the Megaroad 01 as well as the Frontier fleet. How much of the original chronology has been retained is yet unclear. As well as the fact that the City ship didn't have a BattleShip at it's front and the whole ship is called a Space Defense Fortress, no longer a Super Dimension Fortress.

At 2:30 I can clearly see a

Macross Class Battleship connected to the Colony

:ph34r:

I 100% disagree. 7 already established that due to the popularity of DYRL, it's treated as history by those who weren't there. And in fact, 90% of the flashbacks used in 7's prologues were DYRL based.

This is a reboot dude. The events of 7 take place during the same era as Megaroad 01, and Frontier, though at a different time in the timeline.

The opening clearly shows the events of DYRL, not SDFM as what happened during SW1. It changes what happened to the Earth after the war and when the emigration fleets left the planet to colonize the stars. This is far more than a situation of DYRL being "treated as history by those who weren't there".... The Earth was abandoned in this continuity, not rebuilt like the old continuity.

One question does remain, "Did the events of Macross Plus happen in the MF continuity?" there is no Earth for Isamu and Guld to go to as it would have been long since abandoned by 2040...

Did you guys enjoy the

fleet migration timeline

scene as much as I did?

When was it made canon that the Frontier fleet launched from Earth in 2012? Was this a recent move made by Kawamori?

yes, i kept replaying n pausing that scene many times lol... trying to catch as many names as possible, and also tracked Megaload-1.

Seems like M-Frontier and M-Galaxy are heading towards the center of the galaxy? there are bound to be alot more stars there, and possibly a lot of alien life...

Anyway, i thought Macross-F timeline was supposed to be 207x? Ep01 now says 2059...

Also at the very beginning, what's with the 'spirit' of sheryl? An effect of space jump? looks weird >.<

This is a reboot dude. The events of 7 take place during the same era as Megaroad 01, and Frontier, though at a different time in the timeline.

The opening clearly shows the events of DYRL, not SDFM as what happened during SW1. It changes what happened to the Earth after the war and when the emigration fleets left the planet to colonize the stars. This is far more than a situation of DYRL being "treated as history by those who weren't there".... The Earth was abandoned in this continuity, not rebuilt like the old continuity.

One question does remain, "Did the events of Macross Plus happen in the MF continuity?" there is no Earth for Isamu and Guld to go to as it would have been long since abandoned by 2040...

wait ...wait a sec how sure are you there was a reboot and earth was abandoned, if I recall I do see a sdf in the distance in the reboot scene with the megaroad, so why would they abandon earth, the way I see it, earth is the capital of humanity.

Yeah i have to admit this one has far better opening for other mecha anime(you-know-which-one that starts with G)

BTW can i post the alternative links of the torrents?

Well to those who knows mandarin or chinese.....here's the subbed torrent link(1st one in the list)

Edited by stinger

ok.........I just saw the second trailer, and I will be getting the second episode, and the newly aquired yamotos in matter of minutes.......your prob wondering how right.........well I am currently building a time machine out of a car battery, a alarm clock, and some nuclear cells that I came over, if my calculations are correct I will be zapped into the month of april and zapped back in exactly 3 minutes from now with a copy of episode 2 subbed in my hands and the yamatos, but by doing this I could disrupt the space time continuum and the universe can possibly be wiped out and it would be the end of everything, but its for macross f so it is so worth it, FYI this is a joke.

The VF-171 launch sequence from the Maizuru made me :ph34r::blink: :blink: .

I demand they released a mook or official guide with the details of those ships (naval ships maniac here :lol: ).

And I think Mr.March got a load of references there about the Maizuru and the Algenicus class ships.

Awesome show,

eat that Gundam 00

:lol:

Wow, a trailer for the second episode already! What a great Christmas!

Looks like Ranka is getting sucked out through the city dome breach. I bet Aruto ends up saving her, just like Hikaru in DYRL. Wonder if they get trapped in an abandoned section of the ship after? heh, maybe we'll get a nude Ranka shower scene.

And looks like Ozma comes to save the day in his armored VF-25.

Graham

Just wondering what the 3 classmates where doing at the concert in flight gear?

From my extremely limited understanding, I get the impression that they had were hired to providing arial film footage of the concert.

Is that correct?

Graham

hey graham any chance will see other valks???? I mean its a series right I dont think 2 valks(the 25, and the vf-17) will cut it.

How come so slow Kensei?

Being that you Aussies are upside down anyway, shouldn't the force of gravity work in your favour and help the download trickle into your computer faster? :p Or doesn't it work like that?

Sorry, too much Christmas Cheer (AKA alcohol) in me already....hic!

Graham

How come so slow Kensei?

Being that you Aussies are upside down anyway, shouldn't the force of gravity work in your favour and help the download trickle into your computer faster? :p Or doesn't it work like that?

Sorry, too much Christmas Cheer (AKA alcohol) in me already....hic!

Graham

Grrrrr! Once my contract is finished in February, I will never go back to the Telstra ISP, never!

But the hell is up with the South East Asia Pacific region anyway?

Edited by kensei

I don't think that lauch map is meant to show an accurate chronological representation of colony ship/fleet launch dates. I highly doubt that the different colony ships/fleets all launched together in 2012.

I think the map is just a speeded up representation, that shows the first colony ship (Megaroad 01) launching in 2012. All the other ships or fleets actually launch from Earth at later dates, but the map is speeded up at that point to make it look like they all launch together.

Graham

But the hell is up with the South East Asia Pacific region anyway?

My connection has been fine all day luckily. It only took me 20 minutes this morning to download it.

Heh, maybe mass download of the Macross Frontier ep is causing ISPs across Asia to crash......LOL!

Graham

I don't think you can read too much into the "2012" launch date for all of the fleets, I think that's just the start date. They Megaroad-01 launching first, then later you see the New Macross class fleets forming up. Speaking of the Megaroad-01, its flight path is away from the galactic core, then back towards, then it veers away to regions uknown right before it goes off screen. The Frontier and the Galaxy are pretty clearly shown to be heading into the inner 15% or so of the galaxy, toward the core.

Immigration Fleets seen launching from Eden (after Megaroad-04 settles it) are:

Macross 6

Macross 9

Macross 11

Macross 15

Macross 17

Macross 19

Macross 20

Macross 21 (Galaxy)

Macross 23

Macross 24

Note that the Galaxy and the Frontier are the only 2 ships actually given a name on the map, I am guessing the Galaxy has a significant role to play in this story along with the Frontier.

You guys are major perverts... -_-

This is from the guy that checks out Ryu's crotch in the new SF Game. :lol:

I do wonder why they introduce the good technology so early into the series though. It is nothing like the old series when we gradually got introduced to the good stuff later on, like the GBP and the FAST Packs.

EDIT: 98% complete! Everyone uses WMP to view this right?

Edited by kensei

One thing I thought a bit strange was that when sheryl's space liner arrived at the Frontier fleet, she seemed really wowed by the apperance of the colony 'Pill' ships.

But as she was coming from the Galaxy fleet, one would think that she would be used to how colony ships look. Given that Galaxy is number 21 and Frontier is number 25, there shouldn't be too many years between launch dates. I would have thought that design and appearance of the two fleets would be similar, with perhaps only minor cosmetic differences such as between the Macross 7 & Macross 5.

Or perhaps Galaxy is a much smaller fleet, and does not have an Pill ships?

Graham

Or perhaps Galaxy is a much smaller fleet, and does not have an Pill ships?

The Frontier launched from Earth, the Galaxy from Eden. I am going to assume (until we see it, which again, I am assuming we will) the Galaxy is a smaller fleet. BTW, have the New Macross class ships always been designated "New Macross Class Aircraft Carrier"? Oh, and someone mentioned something before about them changing "Super Dimension Fortress" to "Super Defense Fortress". The Megaroads are still all designated as the former.

For all the Gurren Lagann fans that just saw the premiere here's a interesting tid bit.

Katsuyuki Konishi (voice actor):

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (TV) as Kamina

Macross Frontier (TV) as Ozma Lee

Kamina IS the new Skull Leader.

No wonder he's so frigging awesome.

@UN Spacy:

He did Hagi as well from Blood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuyuki_Konishi

@Graham: YOU ARE A GOD!!! Those pics pwn!!!! Thank You very much. Anyways a couple of Q's

1) Did the VF-171s transform?? I read someone say they were almost being used sa CF?? True??

2) Anyways any sightings of the VF-22 or the VF-19???

We clearly have some heavy retcon going on. Going over the colonization sequence, the Megaroad-04 is shown settling Eden in 2013, though the Compendium has it being settled by the -01 in 2013, atleast a year before the -04 was even launched. Also, the Compendium states that in 2016 "Megaroad-01's communications cease near the center of the Milky Way Galaxy." During the sequence, at that time it is shown to be on the opposite side of the Earth, away from the galactic core. By 2034 it can be seen heading off to parts unknown, but not toward the core.