Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

Good catch! I had to screencap witm WMplayer, and it wasn't at all easy.

As for Macross references, did anyone notice the VF1 on the school "bridge" and as school logo? (if it was already posted, please forgive me, but after the Christmas dinner I feel sooooo lazy ^_^ ). And there are definitely Macross Class (maybe transformable) ships in the fleet (see first thumbnail, top right). By seeing how small it seems this macross class ship, it appears that the city itself is sooo much bigger if compared to City 7 from Macross 7 (that, if you remember, had many skyscrapers and buildings that were "outside" the dome).

I think u are referring to Uraga Class Carriers? There are quite alot of them... in M-Frontier

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%207/...ttlecarrier.htm

Good catch! I had to screencap witm WMplayer, and it wasn't at all easy.

As for Macross references, did anyone notice the VF1 on the school "bridge" and as school logo? (if it was already posted, please forgive me, but after the Christmas dinner I feel sooooo lazy ^_^ ). And there are definitely Macross Class (maybe transformable) ships in the fleet (see first thumbnail, top right). By seeing how small it seems this macross class ship, it appears that the city itself is sooo much bigger if compared to City 7 from Macross 7 (that, if you remember, had many skyscrapers and buildings that were "outside" the dome).

That ship you see there is an Uraga Carrier which is about 1/3rd the length of a New Macross Carrier. But I agree completely with your assessment about Frontier's size. Just after the timeline recap, there is a flyby that shows the Battle 25 docked with the Frontier; assuming Battle 25 is the same size as the Battle 7, then frontier is waaaaay bigger than the City 7.

Perhaps Frontier and Galaxy are the only colonies of this size? Hence them being named, and having different designations than the rest?

Edited by Sketch

So it has happened... I'M IN LOVE (as much as a man can love a anime series without being a weirdo :lol: )

Very few anime episodes have blown me away like this, Macross being at least 2 of those experiences. First when i caught Mac+ on late night TV back in '97 and second time (being my official entrance into Macross Fandom) was 3 years ago when, on a whim, I downloaded DYRL. Even though it was only 26 mins, i felt like i just watched an epic movie.

Anyway, just a few things i wanted to comment on:

Characters: Even though they may not be the most original, i am liking them, with no obvious annoying or 1D characters. I like how they put a twist on Alto's bishounin look. Sheryl seems pretty interesting and grown up. I thought Ranka was going to be annoying, but i'm taking a liking to her. Too soon to say anything on the side characters, though.

Animation: Oh My Fricken God!!! It was so beautiful. Looks more like a movie or OVA rather than a TV episode. I was skeptical of the use of CG, but it was seamlessly blended. Anyone notice the nice little attention to detail? i love it when animation pays close attention. I really liked how the VFs didnt just explode, but they disintigrated then exploded.

Mecha: Calling it 'Awsome' does not do it justice. they were damn spectacular. (just think of the toys...so many different accessories :wacko: )

2059 is one year after the information gathered at Mayan Island became declassified, so it is conceivable that the Frontier president had an idea that they were entering alien space.

Huh what? :huh:

The only thing special about Sheryl at this point in the story is that the Frontier leadership would consider it a galactic incident if anything were to happen to M-Galaxy's pop idol aboard the Frontier.

She's not M-Galaxy's pop idol, she's the biggest star out there. She's been at the top of the charts for 17 straight weeks. I don't think the statement implies anything but that.

No... I'm pretty sure it's a sign that rock stars and pop-idols are now considered important military assits, at least ones who generate a lot of song energy. Wether you like Macross 7 or not, it established that Song Energy is something that has uses outside of battling the protodevelin. Max was working on project M, to create sound force before the Varuta ever showed up; that's why Basara had a top of the line Valkyrie and went unarrested if you recall.

So obviously at least some colony fleet commanders view having units like sound force or jamming birds and assit. And even if music dosn't prove effective against the new enemies in some form, singers are still a great weapon against any un-contaminated Zentraedi fleets that are still out there (and if you remember Breetai's statement in Ai Oboeteimasuka, there's probably still quite a few). So even if she is not working with the military at all, which from what we've seen I doubt very much, Sheryal, if she generates a high level of song energy would still be a valuable assit to be protected.

Very few anime episodes have blown me away like this, Macross being at least 2 of those experiences. First when i caught Mac+ on late night TV back in '97 and second time (being my official entrance into Macross Fandom) was 3 years ago when, on a whim, I downloaded DYRL. Even though it was only 26 mins, i felt like i just watched an epic movie.

Ummm Ai Oboeteimasuka, has a much longer running time then 26 minutes.

Edited by lord_breetai

....just some random thoughts on the Sheril/military connection.

Perhaps the Frontier government brought Sheril over as bait rather than protection. The aliens showed up almost immediately after Sheril arrived, after all. Perhaps the military needed a pure Anima Spiritia specimen to lure the aliens out of hiding, if in fact they are attracted to song energy. Maybe mankind is actually the villian in this series with dark sinister plans to flush out an indigenous alien race for extinction before colonizing their region of the galaxy.

- The name of the restaurant Ranka works at is the same as Minmei not to mention she wears a chinese dress too (Macross)

Perhaps now is a franchise restaurant, it even has its own comercial, according to Ranka.

So now, what, is it going to be revealed that the reason the Megaroad-1 went 'missing' was because of corporate greed targeted the primary shareholder of the francehise, Minmay, for elimination, paving the way of their chinese-food monopoly throughout the galaxy? ONLY the job wasn't finished and now Minmay's summoned long-dead Protoculture technology to get her revenge? Which is why that red ship stopped attacking military-strategic targets and went after Ranka, the already-thought-of successor to her line? :huh:

That's crazy talk and you all are crazy for thinking such crazy things. :unsure:

I know some of the markings on the big red monster have been mentioned to remind of the marking in Macross Zero, I too noticed it and decided to check Macross Zero and the resemblance is uncanny, more hinting to a Zero link than ever...

For two such abstract designs to be so similar in the same franchise? There's no way that's a coincidence. But now....what does it mean? Interesting find, Valkyrie addict.

Means these SM's have some connection to Protoculture.

Well, I thought that much was obvious. But that only answers the question in the most general sense. Are these things another AIPHOS-type device, or is it some other race harnessing the technology? Or is it some last remnant of the Protoculture themselves? Gah....so much to speculate on between now and April, and so little information to do it with.

Read the compendium... <_<

"The events are kept secret for at least five decades."

"At least" being the key phrase there. Basically, it covers the timeline in the Compendium (which would be up to 2051). We don't know if it was ever released (its not been stated anywhere that it was).

"The events are kept secret for at least five decades."

"At least" being the key phrase there. Basically, it covers the timeline in the Compendium (which would be up to 2051). We don't know if it was ever released (its not been stated anywhere that it was).

The events of Mac Zero take place in 2008... (Compendium) + 50 years = 2058.

my 2 cents..

love the animation quality. the frontier city and the battles look amazing! also love the myriad homages to past series and how the 1st ep appears to be a mixture of the 1st ep of macross tv and the beginning of dyrl.

ranka reminds me of a mix between minmay and that one zolan chick from D7, with maybe a little mao thrown in for good measure. i'm glad she doesn't remind me of mylene. don't tell me she's a dog girl?

alto looks effeminate, but at least he talks and acts like a guy. i was afraid he was gonna be some kind of wuss.

a lot of comparisons have been made between sheryl and past macross characters, but she reminds me of janis marin more than anyone else. :p i honestly didn't care for her singing. sounds like she's speaking some kind of jibberish language, but i guess non-Japanese speaking fans are used to that. freaking kanno and her jibberish languages. <_<

hola Isamu soy yo de nuevo te mande un pm para preguntarte de nuevo la informacion sobre macross frontier ep 1 es que no se si lo recibi bien un abrazo desde monterrey n.l.

In regards to using tanks over destroids, It seems more logical to have tanks covering ground that won't tear up the streets or environment inside the colony. I would guess that the Valkyrie in 2059 is much easier to make and not as costly as they were in the beginning. Thus, the need for cheaper, limited role destroids would probably not be needed.

With all the people I've shown this to, I think Macrossworld will gain some new members and fans. Everyone I've shown it to have instantly fallen in love with the direction of this ep. 1. B))

Well, I just saw it. Looks great! the monsters are monstrous, the fighting is fast and awesome looking, and not even the green haired chick annoyed me to much :) the VF-26 is a gorgeous bird, especially without the fast and heavy packs. With them, it's still pretty cool, dont get me wrong. But i love the sleekness of Kowamoris fighters on their own, from the zero all the way through to the 25.

So I'm guessing that the VF-25 is designated as "valkyrie" as well? Is that common with aircraft, to have a later generation fighter named after an older one?

Also did anyone else notice that the bugs knew exactly what the cckpit on the fighter was, or at least knew right where the human was? Both the one that fights the 25 in the city and the one that lands on the 17 early on both aim right for the cockpit.

Sorry if that had been mentioned before, I wanted to post before reading the 20 odd pages that have sprung up since i was last here.

With all the people I've shown this to, I think Macrossworld will gain some new members and fans. Everyone I've shown it to have instantly fallen in love with the direction of this ep. 1. B))

So are they nice clean wholesome people you're bringing over? What do their parents do? Do they listen to that loud modern day music? If they do, they probably use drugs and drink beers don't they? We won't have that kind of behaviour in this place you hear me? If they misbehave, they're right out the door!

;):p

Just kidding. Spread the word!

Ok, now we do not know the spoiler feature... great B))

So, I have to ask, where are the DESTROIDS? why only regular tank?

Because Kawamori is evil :p . I also long for some bad ass Destroid action!

I know I read a post here recently where someone stated that Destroid use was discontinued after SWI, but I'm too lazy to confirm it, and I don't recall seeing them in M7 (but they may have been there, I dunno).

Yep, they were there (M7 ep.15), but only as "attractions". It is unclear if they are no longer used in combat and have still some utility as "labour" machines.

Edited by Nexx Stalker