Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

Sorry if it had been posted before but why Ozma is authorized to use the armored pack and the others of the SMS squad have to use the super packs only? Cannon fodder spirit?

I was assuming, since its a new fighter, that it had to do with the availability of equipment.

Chrono, are you whathisname who used to hate DYRL for absolutely no reason but never actually watched it? Because you've got a seriously similar vibe!

As for the love triangle, do you guys really think it'll be Ranka Alto & Sheryl? Though she hasn't done much in the first episode, I still think Catherine is a more likely candidate than Sheryl, maybe it's the heavy Misa vibe, but she's just sooo Misa-ey!

Love Rectangle maybe?

I agree - if nothing else, the fact that Alto yells at Catherine seemed to remind me of some of Hikaru's arguments with Misa.

IMO, comparing Frontier animation to anything outside the realm of anime industry is unfair and utterly pointless. Frontier production quality is far above anything I've seen in this industry the last couple of years. I am also an avid consumer of CG culture, be it on boards or elsewhere, and expecting Frontier to be at the level or even surpass western CG standards is just nuts, we have to realize this is just an anime TV series, not an OVA (although it easily surpasses many out there) nor a Movie. Having said that, I'm still underwhelmed by the art style, particularly the character designs (too shoujo-looking), it's just a shame mikimoto couldn't be part of this series.

Something that's been bothering me A LOT recently are the flight suits tough. WTF is with the retro look ? isn't this supposed to be 2059 ? why are they still using DYRL style uniforms instead of VF-X2 flight suits ? maybe it's something to do with the whole SMS & NUNS stuff.

Anyway, what's with this whole talk about Sheryl working for the military as an anime spirita, where are you guys getting all this crazy stuff ? I think people here are just reading too much into things. Having special protection from the military is not abnormal (not in macross at least), it's just diplomacy, specially since it's a civilian military service and she's such a big star (wouldn't want to have problems with the Galaxy Fleet if something happens to her). Still, that doesn't mean we should reject the idea of Sheryl having some knowledge about the Aphos (she's possibly Mao's granddaughter) and the Mayan incident, but even then, I don't see her as an ally to the military. I seriously don't expect to see more anima spirita in this series (at least the way it's been represented in past series), mainly because Kawamori doesn't like to go over the same things twice.

And finally, why I'm not seeing people talking about Brera Sterne here ? or did I miss something in the last pages ? I'm strongly suspecting that these bugs are just piloted mechas, because A) they have weaponry like mechas and B) Brera Sterne doesn't look like she belongs to the fleet/military, she could be an enemy/Supervision Army pilot (Millia type character), perhaps ?

These are just my thoughts here.

Edited by Aegis!

Also, I'm with Graham, I just do not see this "super robot" vibe, here. Even the VF-25's seemed only marginally effective against the aliens, despite their massive FAST packs (as I mentioned in another thread, I'm not really a fan of these Stampeed like augmentations). The gun pods don't seem to do any damage at all, and the missles only seem effective when they actually hit. And even then, the red thing seemed to shrug off a direct volley.

I don't see the "super robot" vibe here or in most of Macross series, which is one of the reasons why I like it.

The heroes of the series, generally, don't get a free ride and are subject to the same dangers all characters, even the minor ones, face.

While the armored super/super VF-25 weapons were marginally effective against the red Variable, the red Variable continued to actively disengage (evade) from the 25s. From the red Variables' actions, the 25s seem to be effective enough. This makes me question whether these red Variables are actually piloted by a machine and not a sentient being who recognizes his/her mortality. I don't think a machine would act this way. At least, the Ghost Fighter didn't.

All the VF-25 needs is an upgrade in its weaponry (a better gunpod and the YF-19 attachment seen in Mac+ could do the job) and a speed boost. Considering the other series, Macross Frontier could be worse off, so far they don't seem to be massively outnumbered.

Ozma's wingman could've benefited from a PPB as well seen on the 19s and 22s.

Edited by l_e_m

IMO, comparing Frontier animation to anything outside the realm of anime industry is unfair and utterly pointless. Frontier production quality is far above anything I've seen in this industry the last couple of years. I am also an avid consumer of CG culture, be it on boards or elsewhere, and expecting Frontier to be at the level or even surpass western CG standards is just nuts, we have to realize this is just an anime TV series, not an OVA (although it easily surpasses many out there) nor a Movie.

Yeah I agree... and as far a 2D/3D blending I'd have a hard time naming any anime series - or even OAV - that looks as good or even better. Geez just look at the kind of animation we produce in the west for TV anime series... not to beat a dead horse or anything... but just look a Shadow Freaking Chronicles.... :lol: If Macross Frontier's a near total failure in term of CG and 2D/3D blending, what's to say about the latest Robotech then :huh:

-Sergorn

Well....what's the best 3D/2D integration for you, chrono, out of curiosity?

For anime? I've already posted it. But if you remember a cartoon shown in the states only a few years ago that had either Kirby or Mario in it... it had 50/50 2D/3D and only the camera work gave away the 3D.

@Keith, nope! I haven't seen DYRL yet. I'd love to but I've got a money crunch happening.

IMO, comparing Frontier animation to anything outside the realm of anime industry is unfair and utterly pointless. Frontier production quality is far above anything I've seen in this industry the last couple of years. I am also an avid consumer of CG culture, be it on boards or elsewhere, and expecting Frontier to be at the level or even surpass western CG standards is just nuts, we have to realize this is just an anime TV series, not an OVA (although it easily surpasses many out there) nor a Movie.

Believe that as much as you want because the world doesn't. M:F has slightly equal and slightly better 3D work than Strain, but Strain has better 2D/3D matching. As I already stated.

@Graham, Like everyone else I knew that the static pictures don't tell the full story or even a part of it, but they did hint at things not being all that rosy looking. Seeing the basic Cel-shading in the 171 pilot prep scene was very telling though. But the annoying thing is that E7 had incredible matching in 1 or 3 areas. They could learn from that? Not even from or Strain, Karas, Noien, or the old CGTalk Shirow project? All of which had individual moments of brilliance!?!?

Lacking talent pool, lacking continuing professional education, lack of R&D, and lack of will on Kawamori's part has all given us this level of anime. Even though better is possible.

As for the Super Robot-isms.... what the 30+ g turns, the 500+kph to 0 in milliseconds stops, the zero damage done after the 25 crashed into enemy/buildings didn't make it clear enough? That's all handwavium mate. ;)

Edited by chrono

For anime? I've already posted it. But if you remember a cartoon shown in the states only a few years ago that had either Kirby or Mario in it... it had 50/50

As for the Super Robot-isms.... what the 30+ g turns, the 500+kph to 0 in milliseconds stops, the zero damage done after the 25 crashed into enemy/buildings didn't make it clear enough? That's all handwavium mate. ;)

that isn't super robotish. Bsg did that with the mkII in razor.

G compensation is needed for fighters and is essential for space travel. All scifi has it.

the energy to armor technology is like a blend of polarized hull and structural integrity fields for star trek.

It is just science fiction stuff.

While I respect your opinion and I feel that you are being too overly critical. I also feel that others are way too threatened by your opinion. If that is how you feel that is how you feel. I liked it.

Did anyone notice that they used a german/russian/ star trek tng style font for the vf25 print?

As for the Super Robot-isms.... what the 30+ g turns, the 500+kph to 0 in milliseconds stops, the zero damage done after the 25 crashed into enemy/buildings didn't make it clear enough? That's all handwavium mate.

And how is this any different from the original Macross series?

Or most anime.

If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. Doesn't really matter. Hell, when this series comes out, there may be more people not liking it for one reason or another. I don't see the point in debating a technical issue like this. Its not like he's missing a plot point, and he'll like the show better if he understands it. If he doesn't like the animation, he doesn't like it. I hated M7's animation. We can't make him like it.

For anime? I've already posted it. But if you remember a cartoon shown in the states only a few years ago that had either Kirby or Mario in it... it had 50/50 2D/3D and only the camera work gave away the 3D.

<snip>

Eh you did? You mean Soukyuu No Strain? There's no blending there since most of the mecha stuff happens in hyperspace and its completely CG. And the enemies were unimaginative cube drones or something. Pretty meh production if you ask me.

As for 30+ g turns, 500+ kph to 0 in milliseconds, that's inertia canceller for you. ;)

As for zero damage when crashing into buildings etc.....that's SWAG armor for you. Welcome to Macross and Overtechnology. ;)

Having said that, I'm still underwhelmed by the art style, particularly the character designs (too shoujo-looking), it's just a shame mikimoto couldn't be part of this series.

Again this is all just personal opinion/taste, but I'm really liking the characters and character designs in Frontier and can't wait to find out more about them.

Certainly I prefer the characters more than those in Frontier's contemporary, 'Gundam 00', which to me manage to combine utter blandness, with in some cases a really freaky look that takes the whole 'big-eyed' anime look to new extremes of ridiculousnes and makes the characters look like humans that have mated with Speilberg's ET. :D

Graham

Wow. i seriously needed to beat off after watching the episode on Youtube (loved that comment about Jetlag & Foldsickness). Yeap, poor VF-171's didn't stand much of a chance, the bugs knowing exactly how to kill the pilots.

Got a question about that first cockpit kill: Does that bug gain control of the Pilot-killed fighter to attack his wingmates? it's hard to tell if the segment after the first kill shows the same plane launching missles or was it another bug doing the same attack method on another of the fighters in formation.

another Q: Do these fighters have PPB? would it have been effective at such close range?

The VF-25 pilot killed was surprising (and the whole scene reminded me of three things, the end of Macross Eps 2, which we all know, but also Episode 2 from Macross Zero, the downed VF-0A as well as.... bubble Gum Crisis and the hardsuits) and well crafted. The bugs take no prisonners and not discriminate on civies, either. odd how it reacts to the girl, though, it sees her and moves to approach (To kill her, inspect her?) before the Blue Girl-Boy does a Hikaru on the bug... well kinda, anyway...

They use tanks. why cant they use PPB on thier tanks?

what ever. Ive not been excited about a anime in quite some time.... GG :lol:

I'm really surprised by your negative comments about the 3D/2D integration, when this is one aspect of the show that has been highly praised by nearly every member here so far. Granted I'm not in the animation field and I suspect neither are most of our members, but from a layman's view it was great. Some shows such as GITS SAC I have found the integration realy jarring though.

Likewise, I really don't get where you are coming from comparing the action scenes here with Super Robot anime? Common characteristics of Super Robot anime is that the mecha are nearly indestructable, super powerful and the pilots usually shout their attacks. So let's see how Macross Frontier stacks up to these criteria: -

• Nearly Indestructable: Well, we see the Ghosts, VF-171s and one of the VF-25s easily taken down by the bugs, so the mecha are far from indestructable.
  • Super powerful: Again, nope. The Ghosts and VF-171s don't even manage to take out a single bug and the VF-25s only manage to take out a couple of Hammerhead bugs. The guns and missiles of the VFs seem mostly ineffective.
  • Shouting Attacks: Nope, again doesn't happen here.
IMHO, the action in Macross Frontier has a very strong real robot vibe, with tense and exciting action scenes.

Graham

yep, from a layman's point of view, it is very good work.

Chrono if you were such a 3D buff as you claim to be, you whould have never mentioned Lucas as standard in quality. Since Sw Ep2 his work, or ILM's if you prefere, really went down the shaft. One huge mistake among others, go look at the scene when Palpy talk to Yoda and Windu in his office with the big window showing Corussant... really really sloppy there buddy.

As for his fixing things in DVD edition, let's not talk SW shall we, I can talk for hours about how sloppy that was made.

The only visual issue with M:F is the color used for coloring the new idol hair, but other then that is fully in line with the current way of making anime. Quality wise, this serie goes well above average.

i think that the original star wars trilogy where lucas went back and added cg/3d models to 70's and 80's film is a better example. the 3d models stick out like a sore thumb and you notice them right away. they don't blend in with the original film and look like they were made 20 years ago. a perfect example is the endin' to return of the jedi where he added new scenes that were completely cg/3d and you notice it right away when it switched from an original scene to an added cg/3d scene. that to me is terrible use of cg/3d work (i'm goin' to buy the original dvd's w/o the added cg off of ebay some day). i'm no pro but i can spot them right away.

macross f blends in perfectly to me. and i'm 100% sure that i'm right by sayin' that macross f tries to look "polished" to the everyday fan, not people with an intermediate to advanced cg/3d background.

2001246051251957787_rs.jpg

the girl on the right in the black dress is fine/hot.

I'd have to agree with Chrono to some extent on his opinions regarding the 3D animation and how well, or poorly, it meshes with the 2D. However, despite my misgivings of the use of 3D in general, I'd have to add to my own opinion that this is some of the best 2D/3D mixing I've seen in an animated series length production. Sure, it's lacking compared to Zero, and the CG in general could be called poor compared to ILM's CG work in the Star Wars movies...but those are hardly fair comparisons for reasons that ought to be obvious. I'd also have to agree with Zinjo's observation that they seem to be working towards a better balance in visual quality, rather than the highly detailed obvious CG of Zero (I wouldn't use the term "photorealistic", but it kinda sways more in that direction), the texture work and shading seems more in line with the 2D work in Frontier, which seems to at least try to look more like the 2D work it's combined with.

Some of my complaints would be more of the early fleet shots, where you had what appeared to be 2D renders of ships sliding across the screen in front of the 3D colony ships, and it looked utterly out of place, it reminded me a lot of some of the videogame movies in either VF-X2 or maybe M3 for Dreamcast. Thankfully there was less of that as the episode progressed.

Also, there's the issue with the disappearing/reappearing VF-171 arm panels that were pointed out a few pages back.

Also, I'm with Graham, I just do not see this "super robot" vibe, here. Even the VF-25's seemed only marginally effective against the aliens, despite their massive FAST packs (as I mentioned in another thread, I'm not really a fan of these Stampeed like augmentations). The gun pods don't seem to do any damage at all, and the missles only seem effective when they actually hit. And even then, the red thing seemed to shrug off a direct volley.

i already made my star wars comment

IMO, comparing Frontier animation to anything outside the realm of anime industry is unfair and utterly pointless. Frontier production quality is far above anything I've seen in this industry the last couple of years. I am also an avid consumer of CG culture, be it on boards or elsewhere, and expecting Frontier to be at the level or even surpass western CG standards is just nuts, we have to realize this is just an anime TV series, not an OVA (although it easily surpasses many out there) nor a Movie. Having said that, I'm still underwhelmed by the art style, particularly the character designs (too shoujo-looking), it's just a shame mikimoto couldn't be part of this series.

Something that's been bothering me A LOT recently are the flight suits tough. WTF is with the retro look ? isn't this supposed to be 2059 ? why are they still using DYRL style uniforms instead of VF-X2 flight suits ? maybe it's something to do with the whole SMS & NUNS stuff.

Anyway, what's with this whole talk about Sheryl working for the military as an anime spirita, where are you guys getting all this crazy stuff ? I think people here are just reading too much into things. Having special protection from the military is not abnormal (not in macross at least), it's just diplomacy, specially since it's a civilian military service and she's such a big star (wouldn't want to have problems with the Galaxy Fleet if something happens to her). Still, that doesn't mean we should reject the idea of Sheryl having some knowledge about the Aphos (she's possibly Mao's granddaughter) and the Mayan incident, but even then, I don't see her as an ally to the military. I seriously don't expect to see more anima spirita in this series (at least the way it's been represented in past series), mainly because Kawamori doesn't like to go over the same things twice.

And finally, why I'm not seeing people talking about Brera Sterne here ? or did I miss something in the last pages ? I'm strongly suspecting that these bugs are just piloted mechas, because A) they have weaponry like mechas and B) Brera Sterne doesn't look like she belongs to the fleet/military, she could be an enemy/Supervision Army pilot (Millia type character), perhaps ?

These are just my thoughts here.

i agree, that's like debatin' which song is better and the choices are an r&b song, a hip hop song, a ska song, an emo song, a punk song, a metal song, a country song, a jazz song, a pop song, a j-pop song, a c-pop song, a k-pop song, a trance song, a house song, a drum 'n' bass song, a jungle song and a breakbeat song. most people will chose the song of the genre that they like.

Yeah I agree... and as far a 2D/3D blending I'd have a hard time naming any anime series - or even OAV - that looks as good or even better. Geez just look at the kind of animation we produce in the west for TV anime series... not to beat a dead horse or anything... but just look a Shadow Freaking Chronicles.... :lol: If Macross Frontier's a near total failure in term of CG and 2D/3D blending, what's to say about the latest Robotech then :huh:

-Sergorn

yea, for a tv series it looks real good. i've watched full metal panic!, death note, d.gray-man, naruto shippuuden and bleach... and macross f looks better than those series.

and lets not forget the roots of anime. all of the styles in anime that we like came about 'cause they had small budgets and they came up with ways to overcome these short comings. one example of this is when they have a still (un-animated) scene where they just pan the recordin' camera from left to right (or any other direction) to give us the false appearance of animation. i still enjoy low budget animation as long as it looks ok (notice that i didn't say suberb) and it has a good story (and anything that makes a good series). yea, i came up on old school anime like sdf macross, genesis climber mospeada, voltron (hyakujuu-ou golion), speed racer (mach go go go) and some other anime that i didn't realize was anime back then (i still run across old series that i vaguely remember like science ninja team gatchaman 'cause i recognize their helmets).

i know some people don't like wiki as a source but i don't feel like googlin' for a better source.

The basics of anime is based on traditional animation. While anime is considered separate from cartoons, anime still uses multiple still images in rapid succession to produce the animated visual effect. Like all animation, the production processes of storyboarding, voice acting, character design, cel production, etc. still apply. With improvements in computer technology, computer animation increased the efficiency of the whole production process.

Anime is often considered a form of limited animation. That means that stylistically, even in bigger productions the conventions of limited animation are used to fool the eye into thinking there is more movement than there is.[1] Many of the techniques used a comprised with cost-cutting measures while working under a set budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

A major contribution of Toei's style to modern anime was the development of the "money shot". This cost-cutting method of animation allows for emphasis to be placed on important shots by animating them with more detail than the rest of the work (which would often be limited animation). Toei animator Yasuo ÅŒtsuka began to experiment with this style and developed it further as he went into television.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_anime

when i listen to music, i just have to sit back and ENJOY it. i can really start to break it down and say "i would have done this" or "i would have added this". it's just one of the negatives of bein' a semi-pro or pro, you start to lose the enjoyment of your craft that the average fan still enjoys.

Its never a true MW thread until vehement arguments raise their ugly heads!!! :lol:

I thought it was cool. Princess was a little too angsty for me, but hopefully that will change. I found it infinitely more watchable than the first M7 episode. I'm still not fond of the character designs and some of the cel animation is kind of wonky. Plus those flying suits they wear seem kind of plainly designed. Oh well.

I like how everyone keeps giving that guy crap for looking like a gal. When the little girl called him on it I almost spit out my beer by laughing so much.

Good stuff. I'm happy.

Princess was a little too angsty for me

I am just not seeing it. I've heard a few people say that, he's angry, yadda yadda. Makes me feel like I'm watching something totally different, because I don't see it at all. If anything, he reminds me of Milia.

That sir is the totally hot cougar, Mari Ijima the voice of SDFM's Minmei.

It is amazing how she has gotten "Better Looking" as she has gotten older.... :blink:

I knew this one guy in high school who had an unhealthy obsession over her. He kept on talking about how he would go down to L.A., beat up her husband and marry her for himself. He liked to puff-puff every now and then, but he told me his plans while he was sober.

Back on-topic: A few years ago, I used to watch videos and carefully analyze their picture quality - in particular, I had to watch out for pixellation and frameskipping and stuff. Even *I* am willing to watch something on Youtube and say that it's good.

I'm not saying there's anything specific to indicate that.

But if I were to put myself in the mindset of the military in the Macross universe in 2059, I think it would be quite natural to think of trying to use Sheryl.

We already know the military would consider this - especially with the Sound Force stuff from Macross 7.

I have a hard time believing the military would just ignore the events of Macross 7 (not to mention how that relates to the events of the original Macross).

Either way, I don't think Sheryl is specifically working for the military at this point. But I do think they must at least be thinking about how she could be utilized against this new enemy.

-Elektrix

Pfft, the more girls the better! Stop thinking triangles and start thinking squares or maybe pentagons :lol:

No you moron it isn't a harem-type show. Anything anime-related gets a bad rep for that mess. Plus if it's more than just 1 guy X girls in the mix it just gets too freaky. I mean we were all kinda worried about how Yukikaze was going to end up there. :wacko:

It's bad enough how much jail-bait they always seem to turn the female lead into in Macross, it doesn't need to be worse.

Ali Sama, I agree ;)
I am glad you like it^_-

I figured out that i can use media player classic to take snapshots and move frame by frame into it. Like virtual dub. pretty nice^_-

here are some screen caps. I highly recommend the hd release!! The subs are good as well!!

best,

Ali

ps my first version of the sms logo matched the flight suite version pretty well. I am going to redo it like that with the red bg and the circle outline^_-.

Make it look good! i hope!

pps I hope noone minds the screen caps. If anyone wants anything specific ask!

Ali

post-20-1199060598_thumb.jpg

post-20-1199060608_thumb.jpg

post-20-1199060701_thumb.jpg

post-20-1199060720_thumb.jpg

post-20-1199060765_thumb.jpg

post-20-1199060775_thumb.jpg

post-20-1199060785_thumb.jpg

For the meantime, I ripped Don't be late from the first episode, along with the voices :p This download link has both the one ripped by GGemini and the one played in the first episode, which are different versions. Listen to the rhythm section and you'll hear it. The one in the CM has real drums, the one in the episode has synth rhythm. That was the first thing I noticed listening to this version. Maybe the old CM one was a demo.

Edited by azrael

As much as how everybody is kinda bashing and complaining about he characters on the flaws of the special. I might say something there was anything I would complain about it would not be the male characters who I find are great in every way.But for the girls being not so much cute as I wanted them to be, but still my heart pours for them, Hell if I saw them in real life I would be on them faster then white on rice. They are great but they could have done better, I can say the same for Myung in mac +, and Mylene in mac 7. Who knows maybe shoji has low standards or something. I can not stress the importance of cute and fine girls in a anime, it helps the anime, for example -ah my goddess I hate the story but I watch it only because I like the girls,same for neon genesis evangelion, that anime is a nightmare for me but I watch it because I like auska, nothing else. Just my two cents

Disclaimer; *** Now I just caught this last night at 2am, slightly intoxicated - but i saw it none the less. I haven't read any of the other posts - so i apologize if i repeat a few things that may have already been posted - it's the festive season and i am too full of delicious food to read. ***

Well pretty fricken sweet I reckon. Love the battroid-trainer/pilot suit thingies - very Eureka 7 flavoured.

The Enemies are kinda cool too - i like the EVA-02 head thing going on - it also reminded me of the Ragna-rok from FF8 - also the design of the whole Macross fleet was just gorgeous!

Will have to watch it again to soak it all in - but I did very much enjoy it - the new Valkyrie (especially in the VF-1 homage gerwalk scenes) looked especially sweet - and the kinda feeling of the Max vs Miria battle inside the SDF-1 in the original during the end battle was also sweet.

Can't wait to see more!!!