Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

Doesn't knowing how to use that jet pack merit knowledge in using a VF, even if minimal?

If the translation is relatively correct then the gears that they were using are very similar to the ones used by the military. Also, from what I gather, the high school that the boys go to is that of a military prep school. You would be correct in saying so.

Edited by kensei

Just watched this a second time, just amazing. There was so much to like about it! From the slow reveal of the macross fleet, to the amazing launch sequence of the VF-171s, to the space battle, the hide and seek in the asteroid field and within the colony ship.

I love the way the VF-171 looks, cannon fodder though it may be. And the fully loaded VF-25 looks drastically different from the bare fighter, it's looks like its got an almost delta-ish wing shape.

Needless to say, I'm hooked! Bring it! :p

Birthmark Hypothesis....

Is that the Island of Maya on her leg? Is she related to the Nome family of the Mayan Islands? Am I just stupid? Someone let me know if this is a ridiculous guess.

Maybe. Out of all the millions of other names that can be used, they used one that was from a previous character of early Macross.

It could very well be the case that there is no significance at all, but that we will have to wait and see.

Holy Smoke! Just watched the episode on Youtube (subbed), and I am convinced! This is indeed a very good start for this show, and its no joke that Kawamori is trying to make it OVA quality for this TV show. I just wonder how him & his crew are gonna keep this up with a TV show with quality this high to last 26 episodes. The alien bug does need a bit of getting used to(very organic). Love the ending theme too. This might indeed be a very worthy TV series successor of the original, that a lot of Macross fans like myself have been waiting for.

Those VF-17 look so sweet, even though they served more as cannon fodder than anything.

File requests and offers of any kind are not permitted anywhere on the forum beyond this post. This includes, but is not limited to BitTorrent files/links, YouTube or related video-sharing site links, Rapidshare/Megaupload/etc. links, etc.. We will provide download locations for you. Any user-post in violation of this rule will be deleted without notice. Repeated offenses may result in a ban.

Ok, so im a little confused on a few things. Ive watched the episode about 5 or 6 times now and ive got the basic story understood but there are still some things that I dont get

- When and where did the VF-171's get introduced other than Frontier? Ive gone through all the pages of MAHQ and their frontier section is the only page where they have the 171 listed. Ive gone through this whole thread and reading about how everyone is so excited to see the 171's (especially graham) but I dont see why they are so popular if this is their first appearance and how everyone seems to already know about them.

- Can someone explain to me the basic timeline of what happens after DYRL? Ive only seen Macross, DYRL and Mac + and Mac 0 so alot of this stuff about colony ships and what not is somewhat confusing. Keep in mind, I havent seen any of Mac 7 so maybe thats why.

- Whats this I keep reading about one colony ship goin towards the center of the galaxy and the other away from it? Ive lost count at how many Megaroad ships there are and what kind etc...

Thats all the questions I have for now but if I think of any others, ill post them. Im sorry if these questions seem lame or even rediculous but im honestly kinda clueless between frontier and +.

Looks like Ozama and Alto tag team the red biomecha!

- When and where did the VF-171's get introduced other than Frontier? Ive gone through all the pages of MAHQ and their frontier section is the only page where they have the 171 listed. Ive gone through this whole thread and reading about how everyone is so excited to see the 171's (especially graham) but I dont see why they are so popular if this is their first appearance and how everyone seems to already know about them.

From Macross 7. Not as the VF-171 but as the VF-17 :) Check out Mr March's great site for more info:

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%207/...d-nightmare.htm

Edited by azrael

The alien bug does need a bit of getting used to(very organic).

There seems to be a lot going on with the design of the alien, that may be why it's not something that can be grasped very quickly. I know I had to look at several times to figure out it's anatomy. Even though the aesthetics aren't very similar, the alien bug thing reminded me of the Inbit in Mospeada. In the last few days I watched the first episode of Gurren Lagann and Macross F, and although they both blew me away I have to say I'm more enthralled by MF than GL. But then MF has the unfair advantage of having valkyries. :lol:

There seems to be a lot going on with the design of the alien, that may be why it's not something that can be grasped very quickly. I know I had to look at several times to figure out it's anatomy. Even though the aesthetics aren't very similar, the alien bug thing reminded me of the Inbit in Mospeada. In the last few days I watched the first episode of Gurren Lagann and Macross F, and although they both blew me away I have to say I'm more enthralled by MF than GL. But then MF has the unfair advantage of having valkyries. :lol:

Not to mention Kamina as the new Skull Leader.

Ok, so im a little confused on a few things. Ive watched the episode about 5 or 6 times now and ive got the basic story understood but there are still some things that I dont get

- Can someone explain to me the basic timeline of what happens after DYRL? Ive only seen Macross, DYRL and Mac + and Mac 0 so alot of this stuff about colony ships and what not is somewhat confusing. Keep in mind, I havent seen any of Mac 7 so maybe thats why.

- Whats this I keep reading about one colony ship goin towards the center of the galaxy and the other away from it? Ive lost count at how many Megaroad ships there are and what kind etc...

Highly recommended reading: Macross Compendium: Chronology

yea i kinda thought the same thing a cross between Invid and Evangelion HAHA

what ever they are they are cooler then Haydonites HAHAHAHA! :lol:

Edited by Razor x

I was too tired to watch the whole episode, but did watch some of the (horrid) Seiyan fansub. I've really liked what I've seen. Not too fond of so much CG, but it looks like the cash saved on it is going to good use. Hopefully production values won't take a dip in a few episodes.

The animation looked amazing. I was rather happy to see the VF-17 horizontally thrust vectoring in one scene, though I'm kinda sad and confused that they used the VF-17 for the new cannon fodder machine, since weren't VF-11s in larger mass-production? And what about the VF-19?

But yeah, Seiyan's sub was lulzworthy at some parts. lol @ them translating VF-25 as Brief 25. XD

Is it just me, or does Sheryl come off as a total spoiled b-i-t-c-h in this first episode?

As typical of an idol i suppose. Consider her a more experienced MinMay as an idol and there you have it. Really solid characters!

I finally got to watch it and I love it. I wet my pants, shat bricks....and all other gross descriptions of ZOMGWTFBBQ you can think of. Yes I do feel sorry for Graham with all the VF-117 explodage.

I just hope this isn't a "1st episode syndrome" where the 1st episode shows the best of the series and what happens later are pretty mundane.

Do things still have to be in spoiler tags? Oh well. We should start listing the subtle/obvious references to previous macross once the spoiler tags come off.

- X-Gears suit was pretty cool. It transforms into the control panel for the VF-25's cockpit. How cool is that? Kudos to those who guessed it right from scrutinising the teaser trailers.

- What's with the androgynous joke about Alto looking like a princess? Did they dress him up as drag last time hence Mickhail's constant prodding?

- Sheryl is love....but then they revealed that it was all a lie....she was wearing a holo-suit. :(

- Mickhail and Luca are secret pilots for the SMS ? Why did they suddenly run off like that? Hmmm...yes i'm getting the Max 2.0 vibe from Mickhail as well.

- What is "NUNS" that some people here have mentioned? "New U.N Spacy" ?

- I really love the VF-117 and VF-25 as well as the markings you can see on them. I just hope Bandai comes up with good toys for them though I feel an inkling feeling that they won't do as good a job as Yamato. Anything non-gundam released by Bandai so far has been pretty subpar, Code Geass included.

- Those space monsters are really vicious! The cannon on the main red one can kill a gunboat easy with one shot! And it penetrated the city even (which looks like the Macross 7). I really like how one of the "grunt" enemies dispatched a VF-117 by clinging on to it and piercing its cockpit with its tail. Vicious.

- Was pretty disappointed that yet again, the main defences of the fleet are no match for the invading enemies. X-9 Ghosts which apparently were super weapons in Mac + got interferred with electromagnetic jamming and died pretty easily considering how Isamu and Guld had mighty problems with just one. Then the VF-117s didn't down a single enemy from the way I see it. Neither did the fleet's guns and anti-air defences. Not until Ozamu shows up with his super-packed VF-25 did things seem to change for the better. Oh well. I was just hoping that the main fleet wasn't always depicted as helpless incompetent cannon-fodder.

Overall a good episode. Hope to see more in April...and hopefully an uploaded copy of the Kawamori interview.

Do things still have to be in spoiler tags? Oh well. We should start listing the subtle/obvious references to previous macross once the spoiler tags come off.

In 8 more hours, it should be Wednesday in Japan. That would be about 48-hours. :) After that, the spoiler ban will be lifted.

When the series starts, it will be only 24-hours since episodes are coming weekly.

- Those space monsters are really vicious! The cannon on the main red one can kill a gunboat easy with one shot! And it penetrated the city even (which looks like the Macross 7). I really like how one of the "grunt" enemies dispatched a VF-117 by clinging on to it and piercing its cockpit with its tail. Vicious.

- Was pretty disappointed that yet again, the main defences of the fleet are no match for the invading enemies. X-9 Ghosts which apparently were super weapons in Mac + got interferred with electromagnetic jamming and died pretty easily considering how Isamu and Guld had mighty problems with just one. Then the VF-117s didn't down a single enemy from the way I see it. Neither did the fleet's guns and anti-air defences. Not until Ozamu shows up with his super-packed VF-25 did things seem to change for the better. Oh well. I was just hoping that the main fleet wasn't always depicted as helpless incompetent cannon-fodder.

To be fair, taking both of things together, I think it's an indication they are doing something slightly different here. No, the main defenses don't seem to be a match for the invading enemies, but the invading enemies appear to be superior even to the ace pilots of the fleet. It doesn't seem like this is one of those typical things where everyone else in the fleet sucks and there's a handful of aces who can beat them; it seems like this is a really really dangerous vastly superior and advanced enemy.

I don't think it's an indication the rest of the fleet is incompetent cannon-fodder.

At least, that's the impression I get so far.

Edited by Elektrix

To be fair, taking both of things together, I think it's an indication they are doing something slightly different here. No, the main defenses don't seem to be a match for the invading enemies, but the invading enemies appear to be superior even to the ace pilots of the fleet. It doesn't seem like this is one of those typical things where everyone else in the fleet sucks and there's a handful of aces who can beat them; it seems like this is a really really dangerous vastly superior and advanced enemy.

I don't think it's an indication the rest of the fleet is incompetent cannon-fodder.

i totally agree with you on this one. i think these guys are going to be real baddies and not your typical space enemies. i look forward to more episodes!

ok......ok....am I the only one that when sheryl sang it was like her music was going right through me and putting me through a endless heavenly enchanting enigma. I dont know how to explain it, but not only that but I keep finding myself replaying concert scene, am I the only one doing this.

Edited by deadghost

ok......ok....am I the only one that when sheryl sang it was like her music was going right through me and putting me through a endless heavenly enchanting enigma. I dont know how to explain it, but not only that but I keep finding myself replaying concert scene, am I the only one doing this.

You're not the only one.

-Elektrix

I got the impression that the NUNS pilots were very green and for some reason the SMS pilots weren't. I expect the NUNS pilots to get better as the show progresses or it will risk becoming another Mac 7 in terms of a non-credible defense force...

Though there is little doubt that the bio-mecha have done this before and are very good at what they do...

~~~~~~~~

The VF-25 is the perfect mecha for Bandai to exploit though. Very gundam like with all the bolt on armor and weaponry. which is something that sells a lot of toys and model kit variants...

Robotech What??? I think this just made the A-list of anime for 2008. And like what was written before, it's a great time to be a Macross fan. I just watched it, and analyzed it in detail, and it's got the elements of a great series. Although some of it can be construed as a little cliche'd, the little hints of great Macross series past and bits of nostalgia had me clawing for more. Ahhh, Yamato needs to make the VF-17 version that wasn't the CF version shown, and the CF versions shown. How sweet that was!!! What an awesome Christmas gift. Merry Christmas, everyone.

Jasonc :wacko:

Edited by Jasonc

omg i have watched the episode three times now, and then i went back and watched macross zero again.

i really really think that SK is going to connect the two series. i will admit, it is more of a feeling than anything, but there is something so similar about the AFOS and the "bugs." I am not sure what the connection will be, but I think it is going to be significant.

I would love love love to see Megaroad 01 come back into the limelight, as would so many of us, however I would be afraid that SK would take revenge on us and show the ruins of the M01 or something equally horrible. ;_;

Back to the timeline at the beginning. It should be remembered that this is a preview episode, and the animation there in may not be final. That intro sequence could easily change by April.

It's a possibility, but I am doubtful.

I'm sure the idea of an alternate chronology threatens to push over some people's altars, but since mine was toppled by Mac 7, I'm open to anything these days. So long as it is plausible and well thought out, I'll give it a shot.

The available information revealed thus far lends itself to the idea of an alternate timeline as a result of the time space event, but I'm sure we'll get confirmation either way before april...

As it is, the series looks like it could very well resurrect Macross in pop culture. It's a human drama against enigmatic foes set in space with killer music, precisely what SDFM was... The 3D animation is akin to Mac Zero, but dialed back a bit to mesh much better with the 2D animation.

It probably helps a lot to have a portion of the series already in the can before the show's premier to maintain high production levels per episode...

I would love love love to see Megaroad 01 come back into the limelight, as would so many of us, however I would be afraid that SK would take revenge on us and show the ruins of the M01 or something equally horrible. ;_;

LOL no doubt!

Like what Hideaki Anno did with the Evangelion Finale... :p "I'll give you an ending, but you won't like it... :angry: "

Edited by Zinjo

It's a possibility, but I am doubtful.

I'm sure the idea of an alternate chronology threatens to push over some people's altars, but since mine was toppled by Mac 7, I'm open to anything these days. So long as it is plausible and well thought out, I'll give it a shot.

The available information revealed thus far lends itself to the idea of an alternate timeline as a result of the time space event, but I'm sure we'll get confirmation either way before april...

As it is, the series looks like it could very well resurrect Macross in pop culture. It's a human drama against enigmatic foes set in space with killer music, precisely what SDFM was... The 3D animation is akin to Mac Zero, but dialed back a bit to mesh much better with the 2D animation.

It probably helps a lot to have a portion of the series already in the can before the show's premier to maintain high production levels per episode...

LOL no doubt!

Like what Hideaki Anno did with the Evangelion Finale... :p "I'll give you an ending, but you won't like it... :angry: "

DONT SAY THAT MAN, I remember when I was so into evangelion and bam I saw the movie with my friend, I throw up three times, cried when askua died, and my skin turned pure powder white. just thinking about that gives me the shivers.

The more I look at Sheryl, the more she looks like Sara.

Sheryl.jpg

Sara.jpg

The Maybe it's just the eyebrows, but when you combine that with the Nome last name, there definately seems to be something to it.

As for the new enemy

Looking at the red one specifically, it's movements, transformation, weapons, etc, make it all seem more mecha than organic. While there is definately an organic component to it, it's not anywhere near as living & breathing as the AFOS or Ginga Kujira. In general, it's very Dunbine like, or perhaps the movie version of the Escaflowne would be a better comparison. Whatever they are, they're very aware of how Earth fleets work, stranger yet still, they didn't seem to have any kind of stealth or if they did, they sure as hell weren't using it, as they were picked up on censors right away. The red one reminds me a lot of the transforming Glaug from the MPlus game.

The more I look at it, the more humanoid pilotted it looks. It's too advanced to be anything the Supervision Army had, as the Macross would have shown that level of technology. But I'd say it's less advanced than the AFOS, even though it grunts, it still has more of a mechanical feel than a biological one. My guess based on the limited knowledge we have now? Either a 3rd Protoculture influenced race that managed to survive the fall of the Stellar Republic (Earth & Zola being the first 2), or scrapped together remains of the Protoculture themselves, though if they are, they'd have lost much of their technology, and rebuilt anew.

The fact that they folded in an advanced scout without so much as trying to make radio contact first either means they were already hit first by the U.N.S., or perhaps that they recognize the Frontier fleet as Zentradi due to their logos.

And back to the timeline at the beginning

, the Macross 7 fleet is clearly shown included, which there'd be no reason for had this been an alternate timeline of events.

Catherine.jpg

Hot new Misa (Catherine Glass) for good measure!

Edited by Keith

Btw, for some freeze-frame fun, check out the English screen text around 16:20.

I guess...SK likes James Stewart?

BTW, during the concert broadcast, the logo said Frontire instead of Frontier...

Normally this kind of Japanese misspells annoy me to no end, but with a Xmas present THIS GOOD, they can have ten more mispells and I wouldn't mind!

Finished watching the episode in spasms and tears...

you read my mind! i am soooo worried that if too many people have whined to him about M01, he might get butthurt and do something really really vicious and then sit back and lol.