Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

It was awesome. I have to say. Could only understand a bit here and there, but in general I could understand what was going on.

I gotta say, there are some bad haircuts in this series.

By the way, this is totally an adult catered anime if things keep on going the way they are.

So many references to other Macross series...:lol:

Ranka is really coming across as cute so far. She's not as annoying as Minmei, Mao or Mylene.

Edited by kensei

Just wondering what the 3 classmates where doing at the concert in flight gear?

From my extremely limited understanding, I get the impression that they were hired to providing arial film footage of the concert.

Is that correct?

Graham

I'm pretty sure that's the case - especially from the bit where you see the footage he is filming on the "Frontire Music Channel".

Music is great. I can't wait for the soundtrack to be sold.

Bit of grappling action too. I thought I was watching an MMA fight

:p I knew that the new Misa would be a bodyguard of some sort to Sheryl.

Those aliens are friggin ruthless man, ruthless.

I wonder what Aruto is going to feel in retrospect after he gest out of his current situation. Seems like he would be feeling a bit guilty as he was indirectly the cause for the pilot's death. Just like how Rodimus felt after Optimus died I'll bet? Or you could argue that it was just the gross negligence of the pilot while he was fighting.

I don't have a good feeling about Luca's future either. I'm getting a Gundam SEED Nicol-like persona emanating from him. Sheryl also looks like she knows something about the aliens, that's the feeling I got.

Regarding the mecha, this is what I like:

The reconnaissance VF-171 looks awesome. I love that big fin that hangs down below the fighter. If that ever got made into a toy, Yamato would definitely need to supply it with a stand. NO way can you keep on a flat surface.

The tanks suck. I would prefer high mobility destroids, a la Macross Zero. Oh well.

Looks like there is definitely two types of FAST Packs. Ozuma's 25 looks like it has armour, weapons AND advanced electronics. It's the ultimate command VF. What is confounding (other than the onboard head lasers) is that the weapons seem to be ballistics only so far and possibly only a couple of minor laser cannons. I was hanging for a RO-X2A canon like the Strike VF-1.

I suspect that the 25 has internal missile pallets too.

The other dude's VF-25 looks like he had the "lite" version of Ozuma's armour.

27 MINUTES!? DAMMIT. I thought it was meant to be an hour special.

Edited by kensei

There were no ships shown in Macross Frontier that were of the same type as the Algenicus. A new type of ship was depicted however.

www.macrossmecha.info

The VF-171 launch sequence from the Maizuru made me :ph34r::blink: :blink: .

I demand they released a mook or official guide with the details of those ships (naval ships maniac here :lol: ).

And I think Mr.March got a load of references there about the Maizuru and the Algenicus class ships.

Awesome show,

eat that Gundam 00

:lol:

Been a while since I showed up here... Few thoughts;

VFs look awesome. I agree about the Stampede resemblance.

Seems to me that the main group isn't just filming the show, they're part of it. References to a routine, and a brief shot that seems to be them flying with smoke trails contributes to it.

Most of all, though, I can't even describe my reaction to hearing DYRL as the ending theme. Absolutely stunning. Epic win, even.

Been a while since I showed up here... Few thoughts;

Seems to me that the main group isn't just filming the show, they're part of it. References to a routine, and a brief shot that seems to be them flying with smoke trails contributes to it.

That's a good point - I think clearly at the beginning of the show especially when they come in down the aisles with the color trails, it seemed to clearly be part of it. But after that though it seems like they did seem to just be there to film it.

Sweet, just got the .divx, burned it to disc and I'm watching on the 55" with my PS3 using the new 2.10 firmware with Divx support ^_^

:huh: Why not just stream it or copy it over your network to the PS3? It worked when I tried it.

But YES this episode just rocks on an HD TV. Gonna watch it again after I get off work tonight.

I do wonder why they introduce the good technology so early into the series though. It is nothing like the old series when we gradually got introduced to the good stuff later on, like the GBP and the FAST Packs.

Well, in the original series FPs and GBPs where brand new tech just being introduced put into production in limited numbers.

Assuming the VF-25 is an established design in service for a few years already at least with FPs already, it doesn't make sense to hold back the heavy weapons when you need them. As the VF-171's were getting their asses kicked, it's safe to assume that more firepower than that provided by a bare VF is going to be needed.

Graham

True Graham. I guess I was stuck in the typical anime formula of Gundam and the old Macross, where they progressively introduce new tech that makes Mecha more awesome. Who knows, there still may be more to see i guess.

Alright, Merry Christmas Fellas. I'm off to bed. I've had enough of watching it again, I've like watched it 5 times already. :lol:

Edited by kensei

Absolutely brilliant first episode, loved all of the nods to previous Macross shows (both subtle and obvious). I'm not following the "this is obviously an alternate universe reboot" talk. Everything seems pretty solidly based in the established Macross universe. Using DYRL visuals for the historical recap is pretty standard for Macross now. Has been since...DYRL pretty much. In fact, isn't the general rule of thumb that the "true" SW1 was a mix of SDF's story and DYRL's visuals, while not strictly adhering to either? There was a whole thread devoted to that topic alone a long time ago.

As for

Sheryl being amazed by the pill ships? I didn't get that, so much as she was amazed that one of them had an ocean. At least, that's how it was translated in the version I watched. The translation did seem very off in places.

I wonder who the heck is the 1 person so far who voted boring? How any Macross fan could find that pilot episode boring is completely beyond me.

Maybe I'm just too much of a rabid Macross fan, but ater 20+ years of watching anime and getting pretty jaded with it in recent years, this has got me interested like no other show.....ever.

If they carry on with the standard of the first episode, it's gonna be the best mecha anime show ever, heck maybe even the best Macross show ever.

Graham

It's been awhile, but I pretty clearly recall seeing "NUNS" before... in Macross II. Was it ever established what it stood there? Although it's an alternate universe, I think it's conceivable that both universes could have UN Spacy replaced by a "New UN Spacy" or whatever.

I wonder who the heck is the 1 person so far who voted boring. How any Macross fan could find that pilot episode boring is completely beyond me.

Graham

I wholeheartedly agree.

Missiles are still useless as weapons so far, in Macross Frontier. It's harder to dodge a gun.

I wonder who the heck is the 1 person so far who voted boring. How any Macross fan could find that pilot episode boring is completely beyond me.

Graham

May not be a Macross Fan at all. ;) But a fan of a rival series. Let them be jealous.

Edited by kensei

Graham

Troll, maybe?

I voted for pants, but I'll admit that there was an ever-so-small amount of disappointment in this episode. While the Valk designs were awesome, they way they seem in action isn't particularly impressive. I'm sure they're saving that for later, though.

Action was good enough for a first episode and a 25 minute ep. Seriously, I don't find it feasible to put any more action in at that point.

It's not the amount of action. I mean more that the movements of the Valkyries, and the way they fight and transform, doesn't seem as absolutely stunning as the VF-0's first appearance in MZero, for example, was. I suspect that they're trying to de-emphasize the VFs in this series, though, and make it more character-focused, which IMO isn't a bad thing at all. I really hope it doesn't go too deep into the philosophical stuff, and they just concentrate on a good, solid, story.

I'm not sure why going deep into the "philosophical stuff" and a good, solid story are mutually exclusive.

Well, I couldn't use the term I really wanted to... Pretty much, I find that Kawamori's recent work sacrifices having a good story and likable characters, ending up instead with a work that just ends up being far too preachy, convoluted, and, well, just screws with the viewer's mind. What I'm saying is that I hope he/they'll concentrate more on making something that is enjoyable to watch and concludes well, rather than degenerating into a bunch of incoherent ecobabble.

Well, I couldn't use the term I really wanted to... Pretty much, I find that Kawamori's recent work sacrifices having a good story and likable characters, ending up instead with a work that just ends up being far too preachy, convoluted, and, well, just screws with the viewer's mind. What I'm saying is that I hope he/they'll concentrate more on making something that is enjoyable to watch and concludes well, rather than degenerating into a bunch of incoherent ecobabble.

Fair enough; but those are not issues that inherently exist by touching on philosophical issues or even ecological issues as you seem to be reffering to with "ecobabble". If these have happened in previous works, I would judge it as a weakness of the storytelling, not necessarily a sign that you can't touch on those issues and still have a well-done story (as it is, I have enjoyed Kawamori's stories that touch on these issues, so it might be a good example of something where the audience's judgement of the work does depend to some degree on their reaction to the content of it).

You also used the word "preachy"; I wonder if the issue is more just that you disagree with some of the points raised, so label them as preachy and ecobabble.

Is the issue that you disagree with him on ecological issues, for example, and thus find it too preachy, or do you agree with the points but just disagree with the particular storytelling methods used to convey them?

Edited by Elektrix

It's not the amount of action. I mean more that the movements of the Valkyries, and the way they fight and transform, doesn't seem as absolutely stunning as the VF-0's first appearance in MZero, for example, was. I suspect that they're trying to de-emphasize the VFs in this series, though, and make it more character-focused, which IMO isn't a bad thing at all. I really hope it doesn't go too deep into the philosophical stuff, and they just concentrate on a good, solid, story.

They are trying to space the action sequences out, not compress them all at once. You are comparing an OVA to a full fledged tv series man, thats not exactly a fair comparison.

They are trying to space the action sequences out, not compress them all at once. You are comparing an OVA to a full fledged tv series man, thats not exactly a fair comparison.

You misunderstand. I wasn't asking for more action, I just think that the action we DID see was a little underwhelming, compared to how amazing the VF-0's entrance was. The episode was better than I expected, to be sure... but there was just something lacking in what we saw of the VFs, there wasn't that "jaw-dropping" factor. As I say, though, I'm sure they're saving that for later episodes, I just think that, with a full TV series, an amazing mecha sequence in the first episode would've done wonders in terms of "hooking" the general audience.

As for issues... I don't necessarily disagree with the messages shown in recent Kawamori works, I just think that he and his writing staff have ended up putting a little too much emphasis on the "message", rather than on the entertainment/storytelling value of the series. It's not just the real-world messages, either, I just find that, especially with Zero, he threw a little too much at the viewers. It's great for fans like us, who enjoy rewatching series to decipher the complex stuff, but off-putting to the casual audience, which is especially important with Frontier, considering it's a broadcast TV series, in an age when few of the target generation have had much exposure to Macross.

I just saw episode 1. Seiyan's subbing. Kudos to them.

OMGBBQ!!!!! :ph34r: My jaw just dropped with all the visuals.

My first impression after viewing it was that I think this show is'nt the kiddie stuff what with all violent sequences remiscent of M0.

ALSO, after watcing it I really feel sorry for Graham, since

his beloved VF-171s seems to be the new CF-1s of the show, and to top it all off they're piloted by amateurs who just scream towards their doom or something. I did'nt even see the CF-171s transform into battroid mode.

<_<

Also the "Skull One"-like dude,

seems to be a real badass pilot, and thus I'm feeling a "Pineapple Salad" episode is coming for him.

:unsure:

On "Tech Stuff" in the series:

-- the exosuits for the pilots though does'nt go really well with me. I dont know it feels a bit like ROBOTECH, I guess. :mellow:

-- anybody notice the super fast transition from Fighter to Battroid and vice versa? It feels a bit unnatural. :-|

-- HURRAY!!! VF-171 Elint Seeker types. :-)

-- the VF-25s look really sweet with all that FPs attached. :-) Kinda reminded me of the SV-51 and all its FPs in M0.

-- Light Armored Vehicle-Assault Gun (LAV-AG)!!! WTF????? Where are the destroids!!!??? <_<

-- X-9 Ghosts or something similar are in use??? I thought they were cancelled in favor of VFs???

But overall, a fantastic first episode. Really loved it. :-)

I don't think Ozma will eventually bite the bullet. I get the feeling the fleet only dispatches skull team when some emergency happens. SMS sounds like a special squadron, like the VF-22S squadrons in Macross 7. The VF-171 pilots faced an unknown enemy, I think they handled them the best they could. It didn't seem like they were screaming "hey shoot me!". Hell even Ozma's wingman shared their fate.

Thanks buddy & happy holidays! I'm enjoying the ep. a lot better now that I can read what's going on!

NO PROBLEM!!!! ^_^

And a Merry X'mas to you to as well as to all other MWers. This is turning out to be the best X'mas for all of us. :-)

@moderators: I hope it's not a problem that I included in my sig a link to the 1st Episode of MF. :mellow:

This is a reboot dude. The events of 7 take place during the same era as Megaroad 01, and Frontier, though at a different time in the timeline.

The opening clearly shows the events of DYRL, not SDFM as what happened during SW1. It changes what happened to the Earth after the war and when the emigration fleets left the planet to colonize the stars. This is far more than a situation of DYRL being "treated as history by those who weren't there".... The Earth was abandoned in this continuity, not rebuilt like the old continuity.

One question does remain, "Did the events of Macross Plus happen in the MF continuity?" there is no Earth for Isamu and Guld to go to as it would have been long since abandoned by 2040...

Is this seriously a debate?

A reboot wouldn't have bothered with Eden. Again, DYRL was used just as strongly for flashback reference in Macross 7, and there's absolutely nothing to indicate that it's suddenly being abandoned in favor of some DYRL centric alternate universe. The chart just showed the spread of the colony fleets, not the timelines in which they launched. This is the same canon universe. The presence of the VF-171 & New Macross Class like city designs should more than make that clear. There also wouldn't be need to place the series furhter in the future (2059) otherwise.