BMP attachments acting weird

Just started noticing it tonight. Was a board setting changed/updated? BMP's no longer thumbnail or anything, and I cannot successfully open them in a window in any way--not "within MW", not in a new window, not in a new browser. They MUST be "right clicked and saved as". Windows (XP, SP2) keeps giving me security warnings about them. (the files are fine, it's EVERY bmp file that it doesn't like) Just me, or someone else? I've attached a very small BMP file for testing.

Are you absolutely certain that IPB has handled BMP files properly in the past (thumbnailing, etc.). BMP is not a "web image" format like JPG, GIF, or PNG. So, really, I'm not surprised that it's not doing all the "whiz bang" stuff with them.

Just off the top of my head, the GD library, which is an extension of PHP, would have to be "told" that it can/should handle BMP files. The GD library is what handles all the image manipulation/modification that takes place upon attaching/uploading. It's not set up to handle BMP files by default. Actually, I'm not sure that it can. :)

Having said that, I never actually answered your initial question: I'm not aware of any changes made recently. But that's not to say that Shawn hasn't been doing anything.