I'll go see it as long as Peter Jackson doesn't delete canonical stuff in favor of stupid crap he came up with himself.

. . . Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with him doing such things if it was necessary in order to better adapt the books to film. But, it seemed to me that on a couple of (egregious) occasions, he made changes for no apparent reason and/or actually ended up hurting the adaptation.

I am excited about this film or these films. I really loved the lord of the rings trillogy and I can only imagine that this will be just as good if not better. BTW, I am sorry if this has already been mentioned ( I have not read the whole thread) but did Peter Jackson loose like 100lbs or something? I need to get some tips from him. People regularly ask me when I am due. And no, I am not giving up booze (maybe cheeze burgers - just maybe though)!

Too bad Tolkien had to sell the rights, it was a bad move but he didn’t have a crystal ball. He needed money and got money for them and that is that.

Whatever the studio wins using the rights it bought belongs to the studio; after all, they took the risk of investing big money shooting three big @ss movies, not the Tolkien family.

His descendants won the lottery when they were born in his family and not in another. Christopher can scrap together his father's grocery lists and make a book about them to make some good money any day unlike the rest of the world.

That said, I hope the Hobbit does well and we get some epic Silmarillion trilogy or something. Difficult to translate into film but one can dream of some Melkor Vs Elve action

Not sure how well silmarillion would translate into a movie(s). I could see them mining select stories and fleshing them out to make a movie or three, but if it were faithful to the language and structure, I think most people would be bored out of their minds. Tolkein fans excluded, of course.

Not sure how well silmarillion would translate into a movie(s). I could see them mining select stories and fleshing them out to make a movie or three, but if it were faithful to the language and structure, I think most people would be bored out of their minds. Tolkein fans excluded, of course.

Yeah, it would be very difficult to pull off right.

Any writer/director who could make that book into some worthwhile true to the source movies (eye candy aside) would be a genius. Just the truck load of names (most of them just other names for the same characters) would make audiences cry. The action scenes have enough material to be the definition of EPIC though.

There's been a rumor out there for a while that Sam Raimi may be up to directing The Hobbit. With PJ taking on Executive Producer, it's possible.

Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro has also been mentioned in the past.

Now, if you have some Hobbit lore, then please share, if not use the PM button

Back on topic:

I loved this movie version as a kid. Saw it a hundred times on the Disney channel when I didn't have a clue about english. Remmember it being very dark and scary... and almost a musical. Don't know if it has aged well, but a movie that could make me feel the same would be great.

It was certainly better than the Return of the King cartoon. "Frodo of the nine fingers, and the ring of DOOOOOOOM!" Yeesh.

:rolleyes: I was hoping Lemmiwinks would rerail the thread, but it looks like he gave the wrong answer to Cat-atta-fish's riddle.

I loved this movie version as a kid. Saw it a hundred times on the Disney channel when I didn't have a clue about english. Remmember it being very dark and scary... and almost a musical. Don't know if it has aged well, but a movie that could make me feel the same would be great.

Gollum really creeped me out when I was a little kid. It's still a product of its time, but I like it, and yes, it's pretty much a musical. Out of all the 70's cartoon material to be made about the LOTR universe, this one's the best, imo.

Here's Sam Raimi's reply to being considered a potential director to The Hobbit:

Raimi said, "There's no better choice to direct 'The Hobbit' than Peter Jackson. I'm a fan of 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy and Peter Jackson's a brilliant filmmaker and he would be the guy I think everybody would love see direct it. And I hear [New Line and Jackson are] talking, too, from what I read in the trades, I don't really know first hand, hopefully he will direct it and give us his great version of it. If he doesn't direct it and decides to produce it, I'd love to be considered as the director."

source

And here's an article from Entertainment Weekly.

Here's a good question, who would you like to direct The Hobbit? Sam Raimi, Guillermo del Toro, and Alfonso Cuaron are a few names that have been mentioned before.

Here's Sam Raimi's reply to being considered a potential director to The Hobbit:

source

And here's an article from Entertainment Weekly.

Here's a good question, who would you like to direct The Hobbit? Sam Raimi, Guillermo del Toro, and Alfonso Cuaron are a few names that have been mentioned before.

Spiderman 3 vs Pan's Labyrinth vs Children of Men? Is that the question?

Sorry, that's just the way it comes to mind for me, and given that initial impulse, I'd have to go with del Toro.

I'd actually prefer it if PJ directed The Hobbit (Say what you will about his style but I have almost zero complaints about the LOTR Trilogy), but if he wont or can't do it I'd love to see Guillermo del Toro tackle it. He knows how to mix whimsy, fantasy and pure sick terror which the Hobbit would require.

No way in hell I'd want Sam Raimi to get his hands on it. Nothing against the guy, I like his films, but I don't think he has the imagination for the Hobbit.

In the fantasy world of my drug-addled mind I'd REALLY love to see what Jean-Pierre Jeunet would do with the Hobbit, but A: He'll probably be wrapped up with Life of Pi for infinity, and B: He never wants to do another Hollywood/American movie after the whole Alien Ressurection debacle.

Edited by eriku

1447487.jpg

Yay! Lemmiwinks saved the thread! :lol:

I need to see Pan's Laberint and Hellboy from del Toro. I saw The Orphanage last week and found it not very special and too much like The Others (my anti fantasy/sci-fi girlfriend's constant battying didn't help me get to much into the movie though :p ).

I need to see Pan's Laberint and Hellboy from del Toro. though :p ).

See Pan's Labyrinth before Hellboy. Hellboy's more comic bookish, good, but, it's just not near the unique and as well done fairy tale experience that Pan is. Plus you'll see why a couple of us think del Toro's better for the Hobbit director chair because of how he handled Pan.

It was certainly better than the Return of the King cartoon. "Frodo of the nine fingers, and the ring of DOOOOOOOM!" Yeesh.

Aw come on.

"Where there's a whip there's a way" remember that.

"You are standing in the eye of the storm

move an inch, and you'll be dead

you are standing underneath

the tower of the teeth

and the eye blazes red.

Win the battle, loose the war

a choice of evils lyes before

your feet!

Retreat, Retreat, Retreat!"

Yes I watched all three animated movies too much as a kid.

Aw come on.

"Where there's a whip there's a way" remember that.

"You are standing in the eye of the storm

move an inch, and you'll be dead

you are standing underneath

the tower of the teeth

and the eye blazes red.

Win the battle, loose the war

a choice of evils lyes before

your feet!

Retreat, Retreat, Retreat!"

Yes I watched all three animated movies too much as a kid.

I will give return of the King credit for a making an effort to tie up the incomplete truncation of the Lord of the Rings cartoon, even if the animation style was completely different. I still wish Lord of the Rings had been finished, I really liked the style. Except for Aragorn's lack of pants.

I still wish Lord of the Rings had been finished, I really liked the style.

I thought the rotoscoping effect was terrible. It did have some neat shots though. The "big foot" hobbit shot was something PJ used in Fellowship which was a direct homage.

I thought the rotoscoping effect was terrible. It did have some neat shots though. The "big foot" hobbit shot was something PJ used in Fellowship which was a direct homage.

I thought it was terrible on the parts where it just looked like sillhouettes of people moving around (the orcs I think?), but I liked the rest. Although to be fair it was 12 years ago when I saw it last. And I was high. :ph34r:

I thought it was terrible on the parts where it just looked like sillhouettes of people moving around (the orcs I think?), but I liked the rest. Although to be fair it was 12 years ago when I saw it last. And I was high. :ph34r:

haha, the first time I read your post, I read it as: " I was 12 years old when I saw it last. And I was high."

• 1 month later...

Must every director attached to a Tolkein adaptation look like a Hobbit? :)

Seriosuly, I like Del Toro. He'd be a great choice. He knows how to handle special effects and he loves physical effects and make up as opposed to heavy use of CGI, just like Jackson. Del Toro can definitely capture the majesty and magic of the Hobbit in a film adaptation. I just hope the script and the casting works.