Macross World Con 2008 Tentative Dates

MacrossWorld Con 2008 Tentative Dates  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which Date Would you like MWCon 2008 to be on??

• Sunday, June 29, 2008
    • Sunday, July 13, 2008
    • Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hi Everyone,

2007 is almost over and in preparation for 2008, I'd like to start planning MacrossWorld Con early and get a date set so i can book the venue. As always, we like to book MWCon close to Anime Expo or San Diego Comic Con so that members from across the country can plan a trip to Southern California and make the most of their time here.

AX is on July 3-6 and SDCC is from July 24-27 so those weekends are out. Of the 3 choices I posted, June 29th is the Sunday before AX, July 13th is right in between both cons, and July 20th is the Sunday before SDCC. Sundays work out best for the con because the location of the con is usually booked on Saturdays.

This past year, the con was held the Sunday before SDCC and we had a great turn out. I'm hoping to make the con bigger and better this coming year so let me know which date you guys would most likely attend.

Thanks!

Bee

I really encourage people to come down for MWCon and stay for SDCC this year. We've got a lot in store for MWCON... more than in recent years as far as customs and with all the new toys coming out people's collection will truly be bulked up. Plus, we have a lot of stuff set for SDCC. 2008 is going to be a good year.

I really encourage people to come down for MWCon and stay for SDCC this year. We've got a lot in store for MWCON... more than in recent years as far as customs and with all the new toys coming out people's collection will truly be bulked up. Plus, we have a lot of stuff set for SDCC. 2008 is going to be a good year.

What is the location of the MWcon? I have never been but I visit LA quite regularly and may be able to make it if the timing is right.

...ooooh yesssssss, looooootsss of customs. :ph34r:

What is the location of the MWcon? I have never been but I visit LA quite regularly and may be able to make it if the timing is right.

The con was held in Long Beach last year, about 30 miles south of LA. Home of Snoop Dogg and the Queen Mary... haha... Most likely, the con will be at the same location as last year.

As for dates, we haven't got a lot of votes but it's leaning towards the Sunday before SDCC.... I'll leave the poll open through early January and then set a final date so we can start making plans and booking people to come out.

We'll have a LOT of cool stuff at this year's con so i hope everyone comes out!

Wet T shirt cosplay contest... that's what I'm talking about... err... for girls that is...

j/k

but seriously we should have a costume contest too. In fact i think I'll get started on making a throphy for that.

What? You dont want to see my beer belly with the hair showing through that soaking wet 20 year old fangoria convention tee? If I can make it I will try to convince some of my girlfriends to attend all dressed up (as milia of course).

It sucks to visit Disneyland that time of year. It is just too damn hot. They want to charge you a arm and a leg for drinks. The lines are too long and last time I think I sat in a ride that some one pissed in. I was wearing shorts and got this burning rash on my leg afterwards! What does this have to do with the MW Con? Nothing really. Just want to bitch that California tourist sites while fun aren't that great during the peak season. The same peak season that involves higher hotel rates. I vote for May or September!

It sucks to visit Disneyland that time of year. It is just too damn hot. They want to charge you a arm and a leg for drinks. The lines are too long and last time I think I sat in a ride that some one pissed in. I was wearing shorts and got this burning rash on my leg afterwards! What does this have to do with the MW Con? Nothing really. Just want to batty that California tourist sites while fun aren't that great during the peak season. The same peak season that involves higher hotel rates. I vote for May or September!

I'm up for hosting the con whenever the most people can attend... and that's usually during Summer Con Season.... haha... sucks about the Disneyland visit but unless you can convince the rest of the out of staters to come in May or September... i'm thinking Summertime is still our best option.... =]

I have never been to a “comic” show but I would be interested in attending this year because I have turned into such a Macross geek (I mean that in a good way). What can I expect from the show? Will there be product to buy, rare stuff, etc. What goes on at some of those other shows that are going on there too? I would be taking time off of work and flying from Michigan so it would be a big trip for me. Can someone talk me into going? I want to want to go. Does that make sense?

Thanks

I have never been to a “comic” show but I would be interested in attending this year because I have turned into such a Macross geek (I mean that in a good way). What can I expect from the show? Will there be product to buy, rare stuff, etc. What goes on at some of those other shows that are going on there too? I would be taking time off of work and flying from Michigan so it would be a big trip for me. Can someone talk me into going? I want to want to go. Does that make sense?

Thanks

MWcon 2007

There's the link to the MWcon 2007 thread. Shows what happened during last year's con. Most everything should be back. I'm not sure about Mari yet, but she will be contacted to see if she is willing to come back and maybe do an autograph session at least.

MWcon 07 pics and recap

there's some pics from last year's con and stuff

MWcon 07 event sign up thread

This shows what events were at the con. Not everything happened, since not a lot of people signed up to do stuff, but i plan to be more organized this year and hopefully more people will attend and participate in the events.

As far as SDCC... i can't even explain how massive Comic-Con is because it's HUGE... If anything, its definitely worth the trip to come out for Comic-Con to see the hundreds of aisles of toys and comic/anime stuff in exhibition hall.... MWcon 08 is something you sure don't want to miss as well if you're a Macross fan... we have some good surprises for everyone that comes!

My vote is for closest to SDCC since I'm 80% sure I'm going down this year.

Thanks

Like Kiririth said SDCC is HUGE. You will not be able to do everything you see on the con program even if you stay for the entire week.

Haven't been to a MWCon before so this could be my first.

SDCC is a blast. I always say anyone can go and have fun, and everyone should go at least once. Last year was my final one though. It's become to big for it's own good. They are definitely moving comics and merchandise to the back of their priority list and ramping up movie premieres and hollywood celebs. In the next few years we will most likely see less comic related movies but I am not sure that will change what has already happened to SDCC. Much like how cartoon network shows live action and MTV doesn't show music.... San Diego COMIC con just really isn't about the comics anymore. Last year was my 11th year. I've seen it grow from around 20-30k all the way to 120 k or whatever it was last year. It was nice that my final one was my son's first though, and hey he totally got to meet a Suicide Girl. Dude is such a mack for a 1 year old.

Kirith,

I got a DLP projector. so if we are gonna do any screening, we have another projector. it will accept s-video and normal video. I need to get the RGB, Component, and DVI cables. I believe that I can even get this hooked up to HDMI and therefore get upconversion and show stuff close to HD. once I get the HD figured out, we might be able to show DYRL in HD if we can get a copy of the new DYRL release.

I have a DVD player that upconverts thru HDMI... its the philips DVP5960... just an upgrade of the one we both had before. Plays DIVX and all that other crap.

Macross Frontier should have a decent amount of episodes by then too, we can watch that there.

Lots of cool stuff to see. Even with just Yamato's new toys coming out we should have a ton of stuff to display. I hope the 1/60 VF-1s will be out by then.

Macross Frontier should have a decent amount of episodes by then too, we can watch that there.

Lots of cool stuff to see. Even with just Yamato's new toys coming out we should have a ton of stuff to display. I hope the 1/60 VF-1s will be out by then.

And if they are not out , maybe they could send someone to the con with protos...

how would that be for recognition MW deserves??

Leaving the poll open for other potential attendees to put in your votes for another week and then we will decide the date of the con. Already have a couple of cool surprises in store for the con so be sure you make it out this year!

If I can make it I will try to convince some of my girlfriends to attend all dressed up (as milia of course).

That's what I'm talkin about!!! *Gives miriya a high five*

:ph34r:

It is funny because I have not been to a convention since I was probably 14 years old. I used to attend the comic conventions in LA and the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors conventions. Last year I did not have much interest in the MW convention but this year I do want to attend. I think it would be fun to meet some of you psychotic freaks (and for you to meet me - a psychotic freak). Unfortunately I will not be able to confirm right now. I am looking to change jobs soon and living situation and have no idea where I will be or who I will be working for at that time. It is possible and I hope to be there (and bring as many girl friends as possible - dressed as milia - and of course my beer belly and a giant flask).

It is funny because I have not been to a convention since I was probably 14 years old. I used to attend the comic conventions in LA and the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors conventions. Last year I did not have much interest in the MW convention but this year I do want to attend. I think it would be fun to meet some of you psychotic freaks (and for you to meet me - a psychotic freak). Unfortunately I will not be able to confirm right now. I am looking to change jobs soon and living situation and have no idea where I will be or who I will be working for at that time. It is possible and I hope to be there (and bring as many girl friends as possible - dressed as milia - and of course my beer belly and a giant flask).

Again......*gives miriya a SUPER high five* :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...