Macross II VF-XX

Firefox

Is it going to be fully scratch built? What kind of material will you be using for this scratch built toy? Usually when someone scratch builds something, it's usually more of a model since model grade the plastics are easier to work with. Where would one find sheets of toy quality ABS, PVC, etc? I guess if you have some CAD skills and access to a rapid prototyping machine, a machine to make molds, and a plastic injection machine, you can pull of a scratch built toy.

The transformation sequences in Mac II are fairly simple, unlike Kawamori's post SDFM and DYRL designs.

Basically if you compare the shapes in the battroid with the corresponding shapes in fighter mode you will get a pretty good idea of how it transforms which really isn't that complex. The component shapes only make it "seem" complex.

Because the VF-XX in Mac II was only a background fighter with very short screentime, no real lineart of it's transformation process has ever been published as far as I know.

Is it going to be fully scratch built? What kind of material will you be using for this scratch built toy? Usually when someone scratch builds something, it's usually more of a model since model grade the plastics are easier to work with. Where would one find sheets of toy quality ABS, PVC, etc? I guess if you have some CAD skills and access to a rapid prototyping machine, a machine to make molds, and a plastic injection machine, you can pull of a scratch built toy.

You know what the funniest thing is.....I ama CAD Drafter/Designer and I have never thought about using it for the toy companies. I think I better get my resume together.

Oh yes........GOOD LUCK too you Firefox. I can't wait to see this. :ph34r:

You know what the funniest thing is.....I ama CAD Drafter/Designer and I have never thought about using it for the toy companies. I think I better get my resume together.

Oh yes........GOOD LUCK too you Firefox. I can't wait to see this. :ph34r:

Are you good at drawing with just a pencil or can you only draw with CAD? I'm bad at drawing and was wondering if it is easier to do it in CAD.

Are you good at drawing with just a pencil or can you only draw with CAD? I'm bad at drawing and was wondering if it is easier to do it in CAD.

Oh yes....it is much easier in CAD. I can do both...but am much better at the computer portion.

The VF- XX is one of my favorite ships...

A toy might be a bit of a stretch. I think trying out either a battroid or fighter version first would be the way to go..

What scale would you be building it on?

Nexx might have been referring to the transformation sequence that might be similar to the VF-2ss

I wish I know CAD, so it's going to be a pencil. I only have Battroid and fighter mode of VF-XX. I still can't solve the back part (the part between the engines) in jet mode, when it transforms to battroid. I roughly know how both hands placed in jet mode though. It'll take some time before I could convince myself of the transformation. I try to get as accurate as possible.

I'll use model plastic as it's easier to work with. I'll try to build as sturdy as possible. Anyway I'll try to find more info on VF-XX and do some research

Edited by Firefox