My first Battroid Model Kit Weathering

Sonic

I hear tell that you can use Iso alcohol and water to thin Tamiya paint with instead of Tamiya thinners Iso is way cheaper than Tamiya. I'm gonna try it as I have a 2 liter can of it and water is free.

Looking good though.

All experience is relevant.

Edited by big F

I ran into major problems when I did the panel lines.

First I used a weathering set Tamiya Weathering Master B Set, using water and a thin brush to apply the chalky thing. i let the thing dry and it just won't come off with water. So i used some thinner and omg it came right off with paint job too.

Second I tried to use some acrylic paint thin down with some water, it applied ok. When it was time to remove the excess... again it too off all the paint on the model.

what products should I be using to remove the excess paint or weathering, without taking the whole paint job off.

I did coat my whole paint job in some clear gloss coat to protect the paint, but it still just took off.

When you gloss before weathering you MUST ensure your gloss uses a different solvent to whatever you're going to put on top. I'm guessing your gloss is acrylic. You should also allow the gloss coat to cure fully - with future I'd recommend 2-3 days, but 24 hours works if you're gentle and used a relatively thin coat.

Many people use future (an ammonia based acrylic floor polish) and panel line with oils, thinned with low-odour mineral spirit. That's what I did and it worked like a dream, first time. You'll need to find out what your equivalent local product to it is. Usually it's made by S.C. Johnson. Clean your airbrush with windowlene. Note: If you do a matt coat with future (mix 7:3 future:tamiya flat base) beware of clogging - the windowlene can react with the flat base and make horrible blobby things. Take the time to ensure your brush is CLEAN after.

When removing excess DO NOT apply thinner or solvent to your model. You only need the barest amount on the end of a cotton bud / q-tip. Rotate the q-tip as you move to keep a clean part in contact. This makes sure you're picking up paint, not spreading it. Don't rub it, gently draw it across the surface.

I've not tried using pastels / chalks but I'd assume a damp q-tip would pick up just as well. Chalks may be abrasive in water only and coupled with a heavy hand this could also rub through your gloss. You could try an oil (low odour spirit) carrier.