Bandai Macross Frontier toys thread

valhary

Considering we will ALL be spending dosh getting the new VF-1 1/60 line and with the other Zero's, 21's and VF-11's coming out plus all the accesories (Reactive, VF-11's extensive bling bling) and hopefully well thought out non canon colour schemes... i think a couple of years is a welcome thing wouldn't one think. I'll wait for Yamato to do the F toys.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

While not official, all indications are that Yamato does not have the Frontier licence. :(

As I've stated multiple times before, the initial licence toy goes by default to the major sponsor of the TV series, which is Bandai.

And given Bandai's past track record with Macross, I'm not expecting much from them.

I'd kill for a 1/60 Yamato VF-171 and FP equipped VF-25.

It's not all bad news however. If my understanding is correct, the Frontier toy licence will open up to other toy companies after a couple of years.

Graham

Considering that we just got the SV-51 now, 4 years after Macross Zero, and the new YF-21 next year, 11 years after Macross Plus, it wouldn't surprise me if Yamato eventually makes a 1/60 series of Macross F toys. I think we won't have to wait as long compared to the valkyries I mentioned. Who knows, things may change within the next year. I'd expect an announcement at either the trade shows or wonderfest.

Considering that we just got the SV-51 now, 4 years after Macross Zero, and the new YF-21 next year, 11 years after Macross Plus, it wouldn't surprise me if Yamato eventually makes a 1/60 series of Macross F toys. I think we won't have to wait as long compared to the valkyries I mentioned. Who knows, things may change within the next year. I'd expect an announcement at either the trade shows or wonderfest.

Considering the reboot of the 1/60 line for the VF-1, we won't be short of things to buy. Plus the VF-11 and the assortment of armour.

I still can't believe that we are not getting a VF-19A. What the hell happened to the VF-X2 licence. I tell you I ain't too much into the Supernova schemes.

I'm also worried in part that we are not going to get a VF-22S Sturmvogel in bloody VF-X2 colours.

Like Graham, I'd kill for a VF-25 with lite and deluxe armour too. The VF-171 can also be released in Frontier colours, and then VF-X2 ones as well, and sneakily i can use it to have a M7 VF-17D and S.

Edited by kensei

Considering the reboot of the 1/60 line for the VF-1, we won't be short of things to buy. Plus the VF-11 and the assortment of armour.

I still can't believe that we are not getting a VF-19A. What the hell happened to the VF-X2 licence. I tell you I ain't too much into the Supernova schemes.

I'm also worried in part that we are not going to get a VF-22S Sturmvogel in bloody VF-X2 colours.

Like Graham, I'd kill for a VF-25 with lite and deluxe armour too. The VF-171 can also be released in Frontier colours, and then VF-X2 ones as well, and sneakily i can use it to have a M7 VF-17D and S.

I agree, and I'd love to see the VF-19A. Not sure if its specifically been stated if Yamato hasn't renewed or lost the VFX2 license. I'd love a VF-22.

The VF-25 and VF-171 would be awesome in Yamato's 1/60 line. I think its only a matter of time. I will be occupied buying the 1/60 VF-1 and the VF-11B if it is indeed coming out. I love those 2 designs.

As for Supernova, its been said that Yamato cannot make the ones depicted in model magazines, since they are custom kits made by fans. If anything we can expect derivatives of the dayglo orange/grey F-15 prototypes, which the Supernova schemes are based on. There is hope for those, as there are similar schemes which might look awesome. I'd love to see schemes based on the high viz F-20 Tigershark prototypes, which Kazama Shin's F-20 is reminscent of in Area 88.

If anything I think Yamato will get the chance to make 1/60 Macross F toys, just not right away. Hey if we are willing to wait 12 years for a 1/60 series of Macross Plus toys, we can wait a while for 1/60 Macross F toys.

Agreed. Our plate is full. Appreciate the old skool first, then on to the new. You others can have your Plamodels first, I want my premier toys from Yamato.

I'm so glad that Frontier opens the way up to 17-like designs.

Agreed. Our plate is full. Appreciate the old skool first, then on to the new. You others can have your Plamodels first, I want my premier toys from Yamato.

I'm so glad that Frontier opens the way up to 17-like designs.

What Plamodels are coming out? Or are you referring to the reissue models pictured with the 1/60?

What Plamodels are coming out? Or are you referring to the reissue models pictured with the 1/60?

None that I know of. It was a tongue-in-cheek thing, as Bandai are the ones that are most likely to lead the helm with Macross merchandise.

The bandai reissue plamo that were pictured above the 1/60. Though honestly I don't think thats the full extent of what Bandai will do, they periodically reissue those kits every few years. I think its just the beginning honestly. Why not? They are cheaper to produce, tooling is already made, nothing new has to be added, and are ready to go. Cheap and efficient way to get a start on things. If they do indeed make toys next year for Macross F, they will have kits to satisfy the market now and model builders, and toys for us to play with next year, thereby satisfying both the toy and model collectors, which equates to more money for them.

Why would anyone assume all Bandai will do is a couple of model kits? Bandai makes a full range of action figures and toys, it's not like models are the only thing they make.

I mean no offense but I'm starting to think people like being pessimistic because the sentiments certainly aren't based in reality. That's just how it seems to me. I love Yamato, too, but it's not like they're the only toy company out there able to make Macross toys. They're what we're used to, sure, but is the idea of someone else making toys that scary? I guess I don't understand.

You just don't understand, U just don't understand!! Ohh boo hoo hoo. :D:lol:

I'm prepared to let Bandai have a go. I have SOC's and a couple of other Bandai related merchandise so i'll give them a go.

But what i don't understand is, why did they re-issue those old Snap kits??

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

You just don't understand, U just don't understand!! Ohh boo hoo hoo. :D:lol:

I'm prepared to let Bandai have a go. I have SOC's and a couple of other Bandai related merchandise so i'll give them a go.

But what i don't understand is, why did they re-issue those old Snap kits??

Easy chance to make money. They always reissue various model kits every few years. For example, while the chunky monkeys were only reissued in 2001+, and in 1990, the 1/100, 1/72 and other old bandai or imai kits were reissued every few years, and a lot more than the chunky monkeys. Also remember, unlike Yamato, Bandai is a model kit company and a toy company.

I mean no offense but I'm starting to think people like being pessimistic because the sentiments certainly aren't based in reality. That's just how it seems to me. I love Yamato, too, but it's not like they're the only toy company out there able to make Macross toys. They're what we're used to, sure, but is the idea of someone else making toys that scary? I guess I don't understand.

I'm starting to notice the same thing. Macross toys from more than one company is a good thing for all of us.

If my understanding is correct, the Frontier toy licence will open up to other toy companies after a couple of years.

Graham

And what do you think about model kits? Could Hasegawa get the license? :(

And what do you think about model kits? Could Hasegawa get the license? :(

If Bandai has the licence then I would doubt that Hasegawa would even think of trying to compete. Now I'm one of the biggest Hasegawa fans around but if Bandai puts all it's resources into Macross F, on the model side Bandai has Hasegawa out gunned. For one Bandai has multi-gate technology which as far as I know is patented to them alone, this makes models far cheaper to produce as straight away they offer models that don't have to be painted and also allows less sprues needed in a kit. If they use there clever snap fit designs again they will out sell Hasegawa due to not needing great modeling skills to assemble which means you can target even younger model builders.

I've been building a few Gundams of late and after building soooo many Hasegawa valks and battroids the Gundam kits are a welcome change, as they are designed far better IMHO. No injector pin marks on detail surfaces, sink holes and join lines that are well hidden if not invisable. With all that you will find that the Bandai kits would be transformable. But again this would all depend on Bandai's willingness to make Macross kit's as good as the Gundam kit's.

Also with the multi gate-technology it should give Bandai an advantage in making toy's aswell. By being able to prduce multi colour plastic on one sprue they can fill in spots on sprues with different colour parts meaning less moulds that have to be made meaning cheaper production. I think this is the reason why the HCM pro lines can be sold so cheap and with such good detail.

I'd love to see Yamato do the MF toy's just for consistancy but if Bandai pulls all it's resources then I beleave they can blow Yamato and Hasegawa models out of the water. Imagine a 1/32 scale Perfect Grade perfect transformation LED lit VF-25 valk with removable panels to show inner frame on legs, arms, chest, ect. With full armor again with removable panels ect. I think we all know that it's possable but will Bandai put in the effort?

I am pessimistic due to Bandai's history of releasing Macross toys. Jack since the original series and DYRL. And the chunky-munky M7 toys suck.

If they put in the effort and money, Bandai will be able to put out quality MF toys. Until it's announced and we see some good stuff, I continue to remain pessimistic due to history. :p

I have a quick slightly OT question. I've been reading through this thread and I keep seeing references to a Yamato VF-11 evey once in a while. Has Yamato officially announced a 1/60 VF-11 for next year and I just missed it? or is this just another rumor taken as fact?

I am pessimistic due to Bandai's history of releasing Macross toys. Jack since the original series and DYRL. And the chunky-munky M7 toys suck.

If they put in the effort and money, Bandai will be able to put out quality MF toys. Until it's announced and we see some good stuff, I continue to remain pessimistic due to history. :p

Its not just bandai macross toys. Its ANY non-gundam toys by Bandai. (Other than the SOC series of course)

I want Bandai to get the license. I've seen what Yamato can do -- now I want to see what Bandai can do. I know Bandai could make an awesome valkyrie, and I know they could also make a garbage valkyrie (Macross 7). But I'm hoping Bandai makes awesome VF-25's and VF-171's, and I hope they sell well, and I hope Bandai says, "Hey, these sold well, let's make some VF-1's and stuff too." And I hope they rock, and I hope the competition between Bandai and Yamato means we get the coolest valks ever.

Edited by danth

I watched it last night and was impressed. Hopefully we'll get some good toys and great kits from this one.

I know Bandai could make an awesome valkyrie, and I know they could also make a garbage valkyrie (Macross 7). But I'm hoping Bandai makes awesome VF-25's and VF-171's, and I hope they sell well, and I hope Bandai says, "Hey, these sold well, let's make some VF-1's and stuff too." And I hope they rock, and I hope the competition between Bandai and Yamato means we get the coolest valks ever.

Exactly

How are you watching the show? Do you get it on the TV in GB?

Ah the joys of bit torrent If you like I will email you the link it's subbed quite well and is good quality unlike most bit torrent rubbish.

If I post it here we/I will get into trouble.

As soon as the whole series is on DVD it's mine by the way.

When you see it you wont be disappointed.

Edited by big F

he's right, the 25 is a pretty bird alright :)

i hadnt thought abiout the smaller wing systems on characters as action figures, that's a great idea. If they make them removable in the same way as their Saint Seiya figures, that would be even better!

I wasn't even thinking of the saint seiya figures, that clinches it. Bandai should defintely do that, there's no way they could make a bad product afetr all those SS figutres they've been doing.

And yeah. the new show is pretty cool, I was genuinely impressed and hope it stays good.

Edited by Fort Max

To everyone asking about "the show": Are you aware we have two huge threads about it? Top two pinned threads in the main Macross series discussion forum:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24559

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24318

I mean, the mods are continually updating the main post several times a day with multiple links to free copies, even subbed ones. Just click and watch. Free, brand-new episodes of Macross. Personally I'd currently recommend the Shinsen subbed one at the Flyupload link.

I need a VF-171 and an armoured VF-25. Those two Macross Frontier designs are just awesome. Bandai, we need at least SOC SPEC engineering on these babies pronto!

Speaking out of my ass here, but does anybody think that Bandai might be behind the VF-X2 licence thing impeding Yamato doing a VF-17 and other stuff like the VF-22. Bandai did the game and are the main sponsors of Big West’s new Macross series so maybe they had a little leverage on the matter.

Yamato could have made a quick buck making the VF-17 and other old designs that could pop up in MF in a slightly changed matter like the VF-171 does. That way Yamato would have been competing in an indirect way, and without paying big licence money, with whatever Bandai ended up making.

Just a thought.

All I have to say is that I want Yamato deisgns and Bandai QC. Nuff said.

BTW, did any of you guys think that the new supervalk looked a hell of a lot like a stampede valk?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm also interested in seeing what Bandai can do. Honestly when the VF-19 and VF-17 came out in 1994 for M7, I was thrilled to have them. Sure they weren't totally show accurate but at least you could easily transform them and toy around with them.

When Yamato came out with their stuff, I hopped on teh bandwagon but was sorely disappointed because their transformations were somewhat complex and the quality jsut wasn't there. I had a VF-11B and the very first day as I was toying around tryin to transform it, the leg jsut cracked at the joint and that was it. The YF-21 didn't do much better either, I'm always so afraid I'll break it and the snapping into place for different parts just makes it look like it is going to break. I had to buy another YF-21 as insurance in case it broke.

Bandai can do a very good job, they just need to apply their skills. While Macross has always been 2nd fiddle to Gundam in the old days, right now is a new world. The youngsters of today will decide whether Macross sinks or swims. If they like it, I am sure the toy companies will put corresponding effort into it.

In any case, here's hoping for some toys soon. I don't want to wait that long. I'd like it corresponding with the show, capitalize on the hype.

Yamato has come a long way since those Macross Plus toys. The VF-11 hip joint was known for breaking. None of the Yamato toys I've picked up have had any similar problems. Even my reissue VF-11, where they reinforced the hip, has survived many transformations without issue.