Bandai Macross Frontier toys thread

valhary

you state that like you know they're making them. ^_^

of course he knows. This is all a plot by graham to breed confusion, anger and discord amongst the macrossworld rank and file.

edit:: my post made no sense. This is what I get while trying to write a funny while playing with permissions on vista.

Edited by eugimon

of course he knows. This is all a plot by graham to breed confusion, angry and amongst the macrossworld rank and file.

Well, that IS the best way to control, I mean LEAD your people. All hail Emporer Graham! :p

Edited by eriku

I honestly don't care who makes it as long as it looks good and doesn't break when a random gust of wind passes through the window :p

My collection has a lot of yammies but I also have a lot of small hasegawa vf-1's and chara-works vf-1s in the mix.

I'm open to Bandai making Macross toys. I couldn't care less what Bandai did or hasn't done for Macross in the past.

What counts, is here and now and it's going to be either hit or miss.

MG, PG, DX, HCM or the all mighty SOC Spec would be welcomed. The only downfall to this would probably be Bandai opting for an incompatible scale with Yamato's stuff. On the other hand if we get nice 1/100 valks from them, then I'd have something to pose with my MG Gundams. Gundams squaring off agains valks in your own home, how cool is that!

Yamato's designs are wonderfull, but I've never been quite happy with the battroid modes. They always seem to be missing that 5 - 10% that counts. Either the design is slightly off (aesthetics, funktionality), it's floppy or they forget/don't bother to put locks in the right places. I don't think there has ever been a battroid offering from Yamato that has perfected on all three of the mentioned points.

if yamato and bandai make good macross f products then i will buy from both companies. i hope that yamato's macross f stuff will stay in 1/60.

I think bandai will either go 1/55 or 1/72, but again its all dependent on how big the VF-25 really is. I do not think they will make a scale that Yamato has gone with recently(1/60). I think Bandai might try to do 1/72 either in DX or Soulspec, and follow up with an all new VF-1 toy design in 1/72. 1/72 is a popular scale, and the same scale they used for their HCM 22 years ago. If Yamato has a license I think they will stick with 1/60.

i'm guessing that maybe the battroid is around the same height as a vf-0 or yf-19 so if bandai makes a vf-25 in 1/72, it will be perfect to display in my collection. damn some company needs to make 1/72 macross zero transformable toys too.

Technically, Bandai has the ability to build fantastic Macross toys or model kits.

Historically, they have never shown the willingness or desire to do so.

Graham

This is so true it's sick. If you saw the sculpts for the unreleased prototypes of the destroid and 1/55 heads for the reissue Bandai valks you know they have the skills. They went through all the trouble of making them and then they decided to just reissue the 1/55s as is.

This is so true it's sick. If you saw the sculpts for the unreleased prototypes of the destroid and 1/55 heads for the reissue Bandai valks you know they have the skills. They went through all the trouble of making them and then they decided to just reissue the 1/55s as is.

Reason being that they knew Yamato was selling more than they were. Bandai knows from that experience that if they are to take on Yamato, they have to outdo them, kid stuff worked for 7 since that was 1994 and no one else had the license. 10 years later it is a completely different ball game, with collectors making up their target audience, no longer kids who could give a crap less about accuracy.

Saw the heads but not the destroids. Were they all new?

damn it would be so cool if bandai made 1/72 hcm macross f toys. then after that go back and update the 1/72 hcm vf-1 and other possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Bandai reissuing those old macross models instead of making some new, nicer, sculpts shows that their concern for quality with macross is far less than their wish to capitalize off of the increased interest in macross due to MacrossF coming out. I would love to see them make an ass kicking MacrossF line of perfect transformation figures but I somehow doubt that they will and at this point would much prefer to see yamato do it.

With the 1/60 VF-1 news, I believe Yamato is not going to make anything from Macross F, at least not in the near future. They just don't have the size to make any more high-end products.

I am not so sure... and what exactly do you mean "They just don't have the size to make any more high-end products."?

If you honestly don't think Bandai can make a top quality Macross toy then you've haven't seen the latest SOC's. Also you can't count those old 1/55 toys since they weren't a Bandai product to begin with and were only re-released as a toy for classic collectors. If Bandai did make new Macross figures you can bet the diecast amount would be higher than Yamato's and probably the price would be lower too just because of the sheer size of Bandai as a company.

But still I would prefer Yamato to stick with it just for consistency sake. Or why couldn't both companies share the license, Yamato could make 1/60 scale versions and Bandai could make figures like their FIX or HCM's.

If you honestly don't think Bandai can make a top quality Macross toy then you've haven't seen the latest SOC's. Also you can't count those old 1/55 toys since they weren't a Bandai product to begin with and were only re-released as a toy for classic collectors. If Bandai did make new Macross figures you can bet the diecast amount would be higher than Yamato's and probably the price would be lower too just because of the sheer size of Bandai as a company.

But still I would prefer Yamato to stick with it just for consistency sake. Or why couldn't both companies share the license, Yamato could make 1/60 scale versions and Bandai could make figures like their FIX or HCM's.

Welcome to the forums.

If you read the whole thread you will see that most of us know that Bandai CAN make great toys as evidenced in the SOC's but their track history with Macross is that they do not deploy the care to macross as they do with others and they HAVE NOT historically done quality macross toys reglardless of their ability.

Thanks!

And I did read the whole thread, my point was you can't go by the toys and model kits that were released by Bandai in the 80's and early 90's to what we have now just based on the fact that it has been about 15-20 years and the market has changed from kid to adult collectors. Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Macross license go to Yamato in the early 90's due to Macross Plus and the fact nobody really wanted it.

I believe it was because of the SOC line that a market for high-end toys was created or atleast expanded and if Bandai saw that there was enough of a market and profit potential that they would put the effort into a high quality Macross product. Just look at Aquarion, the toy that Bandai made was a engineering marvel and it was based soley on a new series that has nowhere the history of Macross and the strength and fame of it's designer.

Good points.

I hope that you are correct.

I would love to see a high quality mind blowing Macross Frontier Mecha line coming from Bandai. I hope that they do it and I hope they do so soon too! I love those mechs!

However and regardless and other redundant terms, I (redundantly state that I ) would rather see Yamato do these (or do these in addition to Bandai) as they have done fantastic work on the Macross Zero and Plus as well as the VF-1s and these new mechs are synthesis of all those put together. i am sure that yamato would kick major ass on it.

Also as stated previously it is likely that Bandai will have (or does have?) the major license for these mechs as they produced the show and also Yamato's new version of the VF-1s in 1/60 points to that they do not have (or can not get) the license. I hope that these are incorrect assumptions though.

If Bandai does make the VF-25, what will it cost? Will it come with the fastpacks? How many Variations will they release? And when will they release it? All speculation I am sure but fun to ask!

EDIT: Will they come with the armor or will the armor be separate and will they plan for the armor? That armored one in the first episode is fantastic looking!!!!

Edited by miriya

Oh I agree I would still rather have Yamato continue with making new Macross toys including from the new series since they already have the experience in designing variable mode Valks and probably had a head start in CAD designs before Bandai. And lisensing agreements in Japan is very complex, Bandai produces alot of shows and video games that have characters that other companies have toy lisenses for and cannot or will not make figures of their own such as Gaogaigar, Mazinkaiser, or even the newer Getter designs. I learned that a handshake or even a "honor" system means as much as a signed contract in Japan. Just look at their SRW's games, only in Japan could they produce and sell a game that contains so many different characters with so many lisensing issues.

I am not so sure... and what exactly do you mean "They just don't have the size to make any more high-end products."?

Just looking back at Yamato's release history - they do about 2 to 4 large new molds every year. Next year they will have YF-21, 1/60 VF-1 and probably VF-11, all new molds.

The whole "Bandai doesn't care about Macross" statement sounds too much like a personal grudge to me. So what if they didn't care much about making Macross toys for the last ten years, what does that prove about anything? By that logic people should not trust Bandai to make any of the Soul of Chogokin figures that are coming out because they "didn't care enough" about Godmarz to make any Godmarz toys for the last ten years, or Baikanfu, or Reideen etc etc etc. It has no bearing on their ability to make a fine product. Perhaps they didn't care about Macross over the last ten years because Yamato was making so much that they decided they would rather focus on everything else they do. They might not have seen enough incentive to do much with Macross from a business point of view. With a new full series in the spotlight this year, especially one that is already getting rave reviews, they will have even more incentive to make some great product for it.

I think that Bandai reissuing those old macross models instead of making some new, nicer, sculpts shows that their concern for quality with macross is far less than their wish to capitalize off of the increased interest in macross due to MacrossF coming out. I would love to see them make an ass kicking MacrossF line of perfect transformation figures but I somehow doubt that they will and at this point would much prefer to see yamato do it.

Actually no, what they are doing is whats called "making a quick buck". Model kits are reissued over the years far more than toys, and are cheaper to release. If they make a PV toy, they will end up satisfying both the model market with the model reissues, and toy collectors who want a toy. If Yamato had model kits, they probably would have already done the same thing.

The whole "Bandai doesn't care about Macross" statement sounds too much like a personal grudge to me. So what if they didn't care much about making Macross toys for the last ten years, what does that prove about anything? By that logic people should not trust Bandai to make any of the Soul of Chogokin figures that are coming out because they "didn't care enough" about Godmarz to make any Godmarz toys for the last ten years, or Baikanfu, or Reideen etc etc etc. It has no bearing on their ability to make a fine product. Perhaps they didn't care about Macross over the last ten years because Yamato was making so much that they decided they would rather focus on everything else they do. They might not have seen enough incentive to do much with Macross from a business point of view. With a new full series in the spotlight this year, especially one that is already getting rave reviews, they will have even more incentive to make some great product for it.

People are being pessimistic. They keep thinking this is still 1994 and that its the same Bandai as the 1994 team who designed the Macross 7 toys. The same people with the pessimistic viewpoint still think there are kids in Japan for Bandai to make a huge profit off of.

I'm in agreement that we can't base our opinions on previous Bandai releases.

Remember, since M7, all we've had were relatively small OVA series, which were mostly marketed to enthusiasts. Frontier is a full-blown, mainstream TV series, and, if Bandai gets the license, we can bet that they'll be putting a much larger effort behind their toys. Look how far the Gundam line has come in the past decade, it's proven that Bandai can certainly do Macross justice.

I'm personally really hoping that Bandai does pick it up, and puts their resources into making good stuff. They've really shown that they can make nice stuff at an affordable price point. While I like Yamato's products, they're not within a range for me to own more than one or two of any given series, as the $200+ that they're asking hits the point where the money would be better spent on my real hobby. (My cars) If Bandai can produce MG-quality kits of the Macross stuff, I'll be elated. HCM-Pro style products would be great, too, allowing a good number of toys to be displayed in limited space.

they HAVE NOT historically done quality macross toys reglardless of their ability.

Yes they have. Until the Yamato 1//60 VF-1, the 1/72 Bandai HCM VF-1 was the most accurate valkyrie toy on the market. It was the only VF-1 to have working tailhooks until the MPC, and is still the only VF-1 toy able to sweep its wings back in battroid mode and still hold the missles. The reason we don't see much of it, is because there are a lot more collectors that have the 1/55, and not the 1/72 HCM. It was rumored that the molds were also destroyed.

Or why couldn't both companies share the license, Yamato could make 1/60 scale versions and Bandai could make figures like their FIX or HCM's.

This is actually what some of us think happened, but there hasn't been direct confirmation yet.

Also as stated previously it is likely that Bandai will have (or does have?) the major license for these mechs as they produced the show and also Yamato's new version of the VF-1s in 1/60 points to that they do not have (or can not get) the license.

Actually that wouldn't matter, they may still be able to, or have the license for 1/60 Macross F toys. Notice that there are at least 3 companies making Mospeada ride armors.

If Yamato has a Macross F license, we can expect a perfect variable VF-25 and VF-171 in 1/60. We can expect nontransformable action figures in the GNU line. For Bandai, we can expect HCMpro, Super HCM, Soulspec, or a DX line much like the Aquarion.

OK, that all sounds reasonable you guys. I hope that you are right. Sorry for being pessimistic everyone. And yeah, those Macross7 toys were not exactly what I would call cutting edge toys but I know it was a long time ago and I am totally willing to give them a chance. I really do hope that they make a kick ass Frontier line that will surprise me. Who knows maybe they will surprise us all and make something even more amazing than the Yamato valks. That would be sweet (and expensive!).

So how long do you all think it will take? How long did it take from the airing of SDFM until the release of the Takatoku Valks? (Yes I know that was 25 years ago). Or between the airing of Macross Plus and the Yamato 1/72s? Come to think of it the game is totally different now and the variables are too great. I am going to predict a September release! By who? I do not know. I am guessing that we will know and have prototype photos by May.

Also I have to contradict earlier post(s) and say that I love the Bandai Chunky Monkeys for what they are. When I was a child these were the ultimate toy! I still love them now as well but they are not high-tech or cutting-edge. And I know that Bandai makes other lines that are high-tech and cutting-edge.

While not official, all indications are that Yamato does not have the Frontier licence. :(

As I've stated multiple times before, the initial licence toy goes by default to the major sponsor of the TV series, which is Bandai.

And given Bandai's past track record with Macross, I'm not expecting much from them.

I'd kill for a 1/60 Yamato VF-171 and FP equipped VF-25.

It's not all bad news however. If my understanding is correct, the Frontier toy licence will open up to other toy companies after a couple of years.

Graham