What Lead U 2 MW?

Roy Focker

You know....I'm not entirely certain how I got here, or when. Who are you people?!

A part of me thinks it must have been after I moved out to the midwest, which was February of 2001. But...at the same time a part of me has vague recollections of being here prior to leaving Pittsburgh, were I went to art school. I'm not really sure what's correct.

I do know that I was already a huge Macross fan before finding my way here. Was big on Robotech in the 80's, though the plot holes and characters were really grating on me by the early to mid 90's. Luckily, before I'd dropped it outright, I'd managed to follow the trail of bread crumbs from Robotech to Macross. Whenever it was that I finally found my way to Macrossworld, it was likely a random web search for Macross info. Maybe it was when the Bandai reissues were coming? Dunno. Glad I did, though. I tend to drop web forums after a few months, or at least fall out of posting for months at a time. This one I've been with at least 5 years now.

id just bought the yamato 1/72 YF-19 for a ridiculous amoutn of money, and ended up here whilst lookign up stuff about it. Joined straight away (I beileve that was 2 forums ago) and then have been an off again/on again poster.

i distinctly remember a thread about what plane numbers we all wanted to assign ourselves to put on our 1/60 CF's. i dont know what my number was though....

New Member, 1st post-

I use Google Alerts with the keyword "Macross" so a daily digest of Macross netlinks gets mailed to me. Now with the Macross F series coming out I can't resist joining a Macross-specific community. Good to be here!

Well, it all happened way back in college. I believe it was 7 years ago during the 00-01 year. My room-mate and his hambeast of a woman had returned from Blockbuster with some movies. They began watching them etc while I played CounterStrike on my computer. I noticed some familiar stuff about one of the movies they were watching with talk of "Macross" and the "Minmay Attack." This brought back a flood of memories/nostalgia as I had been a Robotech fan and immediately recognized that Jetfire wasn't REALLY a transformer way back when my friend got him for his b-day. Over the years I'd made several connections on my own through the internet, playing games such as the NES Macross game (best macross game ever, esp. with it's version of Little White Dragon). So it had been in the back of my mind for years w/o any real initiative to find it because I felt that I wouldn't know where to start (this was before google was around) ANYWAY, all of this comes flooding back to me while I'm sitting there looking at the TV and in a moment of inspiration I began searching for as much information on Robotech as I could find. I started downloading episodes on hotline(lebhead's flagship imacross server iirc). While the episodes dled, I absorbed as much information as I could. I discovered the 1/55s that Jetfire was based on and made it my mission to find a 1/55 Millia which I did(twice). In my search, I stumbled upon what I believe was MacrossWorld's old board(or something) right before it was upgraded to ikonboard. I also had found vf1x.com and the valkyrie exchange in my search so it was cool to see lebhead/jerry/kevin all here! So, sadly, I am not one of the AFM ppl but I think after 7 years I can consider myself AT LEAST and old timer.

Edited by Max Jenius

When i first wanted to get into collecting the perfect Valkyrie (being the 1/48 at the time) i found most of the info i needed here (pics/where to buys), and as i like to share and display my stuff, and most of the ppl here do too, it's an awesome home for us displayers/modifiers. Never got into collecting when i was younger, coz there was nothing that could satisfy me at the time (hated chunkies).

Always been a huge Macross fan and even RT coz that's how i first viewed it as a kid, but always wanted to get into the adult toys market collecting ever since Hikaru held up the VF-4 (MAKE IT PLEASE YAMATO!!!!), no better place to dwell here. Also was a regular at RT.com for a while, we do these things when we are young and foolish but they were still good times. :p

I joined because I though this was an Imelda Marcos fansite. Then I discovered it was about some obscure 80's anime and I kinda hung around cause this is about the only community that'll have me.

Actually, I found the main site though google, like most of you. It took a while before I discovered the forums and I lurked for a couple of months before joining.

I joined because I though this was an Imelda Marcos fansite. Then I discovered it was about some obscure 80's anime and I kinda hung around cause this is about the only community that'll have me.

Actually, I found the main site though google, like most of you. It took a while before I discovered the forums and I lurked for a couple of months before joining.

I bet some here at MW have a Valkyrie collection that would give Imelda's shoe collection a run for it's money :):lol:

I had just gotten a Toynami (Don't say anything...i know i know) masterpiece VF-1 and was looking at reviews for it when i suddenly saw a different VF-1s, one that looked much more accurate to the show, infact it looked fantastic compared to the crappy Toynami one i just got so i knew i needed this one too. The site mentioned macrossworld so i came here and found out it was the 1/48 VF-1S Roy from yamato then went to Valkyrie-Exchange and ordered one. The rest is history.

I haven't been posting here so much even though i joined along time ago. I have mainly been just coming here for news about newly released and upcomming yamato products and other macross related stuff. This is my favorite macross hangout.

I remember stumble'ing upon mac world when I was a kid, and at the title page there was guy who had a early photoshop version of him on his wedding day with minmay as his wife, my first thought was "ok.......freaky, not coming here again", I still dont know who that was?????

Edited by deadghost

I remember stumble'ing upon mac world when I was a kid, and at the title page there was guy who had a early photoshop version of him on his wedding day with minmay as his wife, my first thought was "ok.......freaky, not coming here again", I still dont know who that was?????

You mean this: Linky (scroll down a bit). :lol:

Yeah, it's one of the forgotten/buried links on the main page.

Cause' RT.com kicked me off for a not so humble opinion on their forum after handling a Toynami "Masterpiece" Hick Runter's VF-1J :lol:. That's how I found out about the MW forums through MW.com B)) !

Edited by gerwalk25

Like many others here, I found MW after being banned from RT.hell

I was looking for Jetfire's at the time. I had some childhood bias' towards the Jetfire version of the Valk till I started to remember "row-boat-tech."

After learning about and aquiring the original SDF Macross it's been gravy every since.

Sad as it may be, many of us owe our hardline Macross fandom to RT. Just one of those things.

I remember I stumbled upon it looking for valk toys.

I went to RT.com and was lead here because you can't talk about the yamato branded products due to the censoring of information there.

Robotechnology came to my rescue. Sometimes I go into the RT forums for a peek once in a while.

Oh no, don't tell me you are going to sell out and make the bad guys a MW affiliate. :D That'd be dirtier than you doing a tentacled monster from a Hanime and giving birth to its babies after it impregnated you with its filthy hellspawn which grow magic venomous penis snakes which would then eat you alive slowly and poo you out of their anus after having digested you whole with its stomach acids, for fun.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Oh no, don't tell me you are going to sell out and make the bad guys a MW affiliate. :D That'd be dirtier than you doing a tentacled monster from a Hanime and giving birth to its babies after it impregnated you with its filthy hellspawn which grow magic venomous penis snakes which would then eat you alive slowly and poo you out of their anus after having digested you whole with its stomach acids, for fun.

You, my friend, have a very...interesting imagination. I wish I could say more, but I'm kinda speechless after reading that, and my wife will tell you that's rare when one has the power to shut ME up.

You, my friend, have a very...interesting imagination. I wish I could say more, but I'm kinda speechless after reading that, and my wife will tell you that's rare when one has the power to shut ME up.

ah...... yhea what he said, ah listen I have a friend who's a psychologist who deals with evil criminals, perhaps I could give you his card. :mellow:

I was reading too many of those "guro" hentai comics when I wrote that. It's screwed up my brain. Sorry if it gave you nightmares which wasn't the intention :( I also just finished halo 3 and there is a level where it looks like you got to go through someone's anus multiple times to retrieve this computer so it might also have had something to do with it.

I was reading too many of those "guro" hentai comics when I wrote that. It's screwed up my brain. Sorry if it gave you nightmares which wasn't the intention :( I also just finished halo 3 and there is a level where it looks like you got to go through someone's anus multiple times to retrieve this computer so it might also have had something to do with it.

OK. :unsure:

RT.com = being in a giant monster's anus (like the halo 3 level) because of the restrictions. Can't talk about anything that isn't toynami. That's why so many people ended up here. We survived hell and as refugees raped of our freedom, sought a new promised land and happened to escape from the monster's anus and end up here. :D

If they had just allowed for talk of other toys within the greater macross universe, we'd all still be there. Simply put, the marketing shills want to use the community and then after they have extracted what they need from them, poo them out like a waste product. There's no fun being in a forum chatting with a community of fans if you are constantly being monitored for signs of that mention of toys. People in there are scared into submission in case they get banned just because of a few words of text that may just resemble yamato, bandai, etc that competes with their toynami products.

If you came here through some other means I could forgive you for not knowing what we mean. The tentacled monster rapes you of your freedom, you are the innocent fan looking for info, and you get treated like poo, (to be used) not as guests welcome in a community. People don't go to a site just only to talk about the narrow subject matter of the website but of many offtopic things too. That's the big downfall of the RT forums and why it's not appealing because you won't get that feeling you are a part of a community. Instead you are paranoid the community is spying on you for signs that you broke a little rule and they'll dob you in like the teacher's pet in primary school who wants to be recognised for his loyalty.

Yes we might owe Robotech some respect for its recognition in the US as a cartoon aimed more at a teen audience and leading some people into macross, as well as for nostalgia reasons, but anti-competitive behaviour like not allowing people to speak freely is a big no no. Punishing people just for liking a product not available on their site just shows it's not about the community itself but profits. And having them spy on you through censoring of the mere mention of non-toynami stuff is just anal-retentive. Eventually people will resent it and leave like many have. I didn't mind robotech back then, but now it's got to think forward and move on. Those still trapped inside the belly of the beast, are stuck in a bubble world clinging to tidbits of info and getting very little back as fans in return. What's the point of going to a forum without any info, no promises of keeping the release dates, blackmail ("buy an alpha to get a beta"..but there's no garantee the beta gets made anyway if you do buy one) and ridiculous censorship? I have nothing against the fans of robotech, but you guys should fight for the right to speak about other things beyond the toynamis on the official RT site so more people feel welcome and therefore slowly build up a happy community able to chat about various brands of macross and robotech toys. It's their loss in the long run.

RT.com = being in a giant monster's anus (like the halo 3 level) because of the restrictions. Can't talk about anything that isn't toynami. That's why so many people ended up here. We survived hell and as refugees raped of our freedom, sought a new promised land and happened to escape from the monster's anus and end up here. :D

If they had just allowed for talk of other toys within the greater macross universe, we'd all still be there. Simply put, the marketing shills want to use the community and then after they have extracted what they need from them, poo them out like a waste product. There's no fun being in a forum chatting with a community of fans if you are constantly being monitored for signs of that mention of toys. People in there are scared into submission in case they get banned just because of a few words of text that may just resemble yamato, bandai, etc that competes with their toynami products.

If you came here through some other means I could forgive you for not knowing what we mean. The tentacled monster rapes you of your freedom, you are the innocent fan looking for info, and you get treated like poo, (to be used) not as guests welcome in a community. People don't go to a site just only to talk about the narrow subject matter of the website but of many offtopic things too. That's the big downfall of the RT forums and why it's not appealing because you won't get that feeling you are a part of a community. Instead you are paranoid the community is spying on you for signs that you broke a little rule and they'll dob you in like the teacher's pet in primary school who wants to be recognised for his loyalty.

Yes we might owe Robotech some respect for its recognition in the US as a cartoon aimed more at a teen audience and leading some people into macross, as well as for nostalgia reasons, but anti-competitive behaviour like not allowing people to speak freely is a big no no. Punishing people just for liking a product not available on their site just shows it's not about the community itself but profits. And having them spy on you through censoring of the mere mention of non-toynami stuff is just anal-retentive. Eventually people will resent it and leave like many have. I didn't mind robotech back then, but now it's got to think forward and move on. Those still trapped inside the belly of the beast, are stuck in a bubble world clinging to tidbits of info and getting very little back as fans in return. What's the point of going to a forum without any info, no promises of keeping the release dates, blackmail ("buy an alpha to get a beta"..but there's no garantee the beta gets made anyway if you do buy one) and ridiculous censorship? I have nothing against the fans of robotech, but you guys should fight for the right to speak about other things beyond the toynamis on the official RT site so more people feel welcome and therefore slowly build up a happy community able to chat about various brands of macross and robotech toys. It's their loss in the long run.

Wow ... I did not know HG was such an apeface company.

Edited by Macross007

I guess mine is more atypical than I thought it was.

Found out about MW at Anime Expo... I want to say '01, at the Macross/Kawamori panel. Pretty sure somebody told me about it while we were all lined up.

I have the vaguest recollection of telling somebody at that panel that I already knew about MW, though... so maybe I found it some other way. I got into Macross through the early anime club/fansub community, not through RT, so I know it wasn't any of those forums... maybe I found a link somehow.

I agree. I'm also gonna do a little soapboxing here, so read further at your own peril :)

In defense of RT.com (I know, just bear with me here), it is an official website. Official websites, whether Robotech, Star Wars, Dune or Martha Stewart have always had a poor and well deserved reputation for ulterior motive. After all, these websites are extensions of the business and as such they are designed to promote and sell their products. This is as it should be, since it's company people investing their time and company money being spent to build, promote, update and maintain these websites at their own cost.

However, fans have to realize this and if you ever join an official website it's understood that a lot of censorship and proactive policy will be taking place as the business promotes it's own. Personally, this is why I've tried to avoid most official websites and stick to the fan sites. If fans want to complain about Macross 7 or say Kawamori has gone insane or talk about import products, they are free to do so on a fansite. As much as we all may lament the burdens of being a fan (which means accepting all the bitching and whining that comes with it), I'll take MW over some official webnazi telling me to toe the company line.

Of course, with Macross we don't really have that problem because the official website is Japanese :)

Speaking as a first time member of MW, but a long, long, seriously long time lurker on this board...I'd like to shout out a big time hello to all the other Macross fans.

What lead me to MW? I like most kids of my generation, grew up with Robotech although I only really cared for the Macross saga back then and now. And like most kids, I had the TF Jetfire. In it's defense, Robotech was probably my first real anime (other than French reruns of Captain Harlock, lol). I loved Macross all my adult life and even aided in my decision to join the military / airforce later on down the road (I just thought the UN Spacy dress uniforms rocked I guess!). Later on I discovered crappy version of DYRL...the ungodly dubbed 'Clash of the Bionoids' and realized the awful truth behind Robotech and HG.

Fast forward many years later, when I stumbled upon on of the original 1/60 scale VF-1 Super Hikaru's in a tiny 'anime' shop somewhere outside of Toronto. At the time (and with my Jetfire long since gone), I thought that it was the absolute best looking Macross valk representation that I'd had ever seen. That was just before the new 1/48 line came out I believe. After returning from a tour in Afghanistan, I went looking for a Yamato display stand for that valk and then stumbled on the fact that there were now 1/48 versions available...which to say the least, rocked the #$%@ out of the now silly looking (IMHO) 1/60 line of VF-1's.

I was instantly hooked like crack with the 1/48's and quickly sold off my now somewhat inadequate 1/60 VF-1J Super. I replaced the little guy with 1/48s: Hikaru 1J +FP, DYRL Roy 1S +FP, Stealth + Stealth FP set and two of the new 1/60s: YF-19 and the Zero-S. I'm currently waiting for the new YF-21 like most of you guys.

Now, lol, like the rest of you guys it seems, I'm hundreds of dollars in the whole and haven't been happier. I do a great deal of free writing on my own time (trying to get published someday), one story is Macross based after the departure of the Megaroad. Having my 1/48 Roy +FP next to my laptop helps in writing this fledgling saga that much more.

-Clear skies all!

I found MW back around 99, forgot what I was looking for. Didn't register then, started googling M0 a few years ago and found MW again, lurked till now. I've been trying to register for about a year with no sucess with my Gmail/hotmail accts. had no luck. I tried my Verizon acct a few minutes ago and here I am lol.