Macross 25th Anniversary and Macross F/Frontier news thread III

azrael

Who said anything about marketing to the international community?

***Saving reply for another thread***

Z

Sheryl's look'n very Britney isn't she! :blink: A trashy singer who woulda thought! ;) But it plays well since you've got "the little traditional girl" in RR (that dog eared hair still freaks me out).

I really don't like the Spring '08 release date because there is gonna be no way that they can clean up the 3D so it matchs the 2D in that short of a time span. Which leads me to believe that there will be A LOT less action(recycled transforms here we come!) and more storyline.

I also don't like the new setting date of 2059. It's just too close to M7.

They've been working on the show for several months already. Each episode of BSG has an 8 week production time from shooting to finished episode and the CGI is fairly extensive in that 1 hour show. So I don't expect the animation will be as recycled as Mac 7, considering how long they've already been working on it and that it's episodes are only 1/2 hr long.

Well one thing the date gives is an opportunity to "re-fit" the VF-19 and VF-22 with new tech similar to the VF-171, if they are shown at all.

***Saving reply for another thread***

Z

They've been working on the show for several months already. Each episode of BSG has an 8 week production time from shooting to finished episode and the CGI is fairly extensive in that 1 hour show. So I don't expect the animation will be as recycled as Mac 7, considering how long they've already been working on it and that it's episodes are only 1/2 hr long.

Well one thing the date gives is an opportunity to "re-fit" the VF-19 and VF-22 with new tech similar to the VF-171, if they are shown at all.

They've been working on M:F for over 6 months. M0 had single episodes that needed that much time to 'close' to the anime look, and on an OVA budget at that! Your BSG comparision fails because the CGI studios where BSG is done are very mature studios. Japanese & Asian studios are not even near the same level of maturity and are still only marginally advanced from the late 90's. It would still take the J-studios at least 3-4 months to get even near the same level as M0, but the BSG studio could do the same in under 6 weeks at a much higher quality level. So IF they do keep the Spring release date it would be best to wait for the DVD releases, so you don't have to suffer with Aquarion level 4Chan QUALITY!!! Basically don't expect better quality than what has been seen in the trailers.

Sure they could squeeze in "OLD crowd favorites", but that's about it. The whole 'logical progress' idea has long been thrown out the window because they are still using design ideas that are over 70 years old. ;)

Sure they could squeeze in "OLD crowd favorites", but that's about it. The whole 'logical progress' idea has long been thrown out the window because they are still using design ideas that are over 70 years old. ;)

Huh? :blink: :blink:

Wow, I'm liking the new artwork. The old art bugged me because the character's noses were drawn so low on the face. I hope we'll see more artwork like this new stuff.

As for the blonde, her stripper suspenders are ridiculous, but that design is still hot. And I'm a sucker for boob bottoms.

A little late, but for those who'd prefer to watch the Kawamori interview offline (warning, it's pretty large):

http://www.badongo.com/file/5464168

Not sure if I should be worried about the "school drama" comment Kawamori brought up at the end, though.

Finally found the complete Anime Giga show on Stage 6...

http://www.stage6.com/user/iris4d/video/19...-Shoji-Kawamori

I must say that the first part is quite interesting... the first design of the SV-51 looks like the VF-11.

And SK even shows his Lego SV-51 ^_^

edit: sp

It would still take the J-studios at least 3-4 months to get even near the same level as M0, but the BSG studio could do the same in under 6 weeks at a much higher quality level. So IF they do keep the Spring release date it would be best to wait for the DVD releases, so you don't have to suffer with Aquarion level 4Chan QUALITY!!! Basically don't expect better quality than what has been seen in the trailers.

Well keep in mind Macross Zero was a few years ago though... as technology progress they can do this kind of stuff better and cheaper now. Eck you just need to take a look at Aquarion... that was pretty damn amazing from a technical standpoint, and at times it almost looked as good as a Macross Zero episode - and that was two years ago already ! From the look of the trailer Macross Frontier seems pretty close quality wise - if it's like this I must say I'd be very happy :D

-Sergorn

I'm guessing from that picture of Sheryl that our theories about this being an export friendly series are out the window. Even if it doesn't have the UN Spacy Kite or the Macross name I can't think of a US TV network that would know what to do with a TV series with giant fighting robots (=kids) and animated boobs (=nerdy men). Well okay maybe Spike TV or G4/TechTV. Hmmm. Maybe there is a place for this show!

I'm guessing from that picture of Sheryl that our theories about this being an export friendly series are out the window. Even if it doesn't have the UN Spacy Kite or the Macross name I can't think of a US TV network that would know what to do with a TV series with giant fighting robots (=kids) and animated boobs (=nerdy men). Well okay maybe Spike TV or G4/TechTV. Hmmm. Maybe there is a place for this show!

True, buckets of bloodshead and irresponsible gun use is fine, but boobies? The scandal!!!! :wacko::rolleyes:

Plenty of series' get released direct to DVD, however if they want to go the broadcast route, those networks would certainly work.

Edited by Zinjo

Here’s what I’m thinking, based on what Kreshpy had beneath that great magazine scan:

0、Broadcast in 2008 Spring.

1、Sheryl Nome from Macross Galaxy(マクロス・ギャラクシー)!

2、Ranka is Student, work in Chinese restaurant(中華レストラン)

3、Ozma is pilot of Special Force SMS(特殊な軍事部隊SMS).

4、Space Monster(宇宙生物) invade residential area. SMS Force attack it.

5、Maybe there is new U.N. Spacy(新・統合軍)

Saotome Alto:

A boy of Frontier School. He has top-class fly technology of "EX gear"(EXギア) in Club.

Ranka Lee:

A high school student who works part-time at a Chinese restaurant "YanYan"(娘々). She meet Alto on the way to Live.

Sheryl Nome:

Macross Galaxy Super Idol, she is called "Fairy of Galaxy"(銀河の妖精), And go to Frontier for the Live.

I’m betting we start in high school, Saotome & Ranka are classmates but don’t know eachother. The “EX gear” is that weird power suit we’ve seen glimpses of, and is probably some part of VF-training equipment - he’s the best in his class. Sheryl Nome (in 2059 just might be the right age to be the M7 flower girl :) ) arrives to rock the F fleet. The 2 students meet briefly on the way in to her concert. In the grand anime tradition, half way through, aliens attack. Special forces (SMS) arrive to fight and defend people. Continuing tradition, Saotome somehow gets his hands on a VF-25 and saves Ranka. Given his battle skills, and “Top-class” EX skills, he is placed into the SMS under Ozma’s command. I’m betting the blue Valk from the first trailer is his, b/c of hair color and blue trim on his suit. (The only anime I've seen to mess with this system was Voltron, and it seemed wrong somehow...)

Oh, and as for fan service: let's not forget that, "real" or not, Sharon Apple spent half of M+ fully naked.

Edited by Kelsain

Here’s what I’m thinking, based on what Kreshpy had beneath that great magazine scan:

I’m betting we start in high school, Saotome & Ranka are classmates but don’t know eachother. The “EX gear” is that weird power suit we’ve seen glimpses of, and is probably some part of VF-training equipment - he’s the best in his class. Sheryl Nome (in 2059 just might be the right age to be the M7 flower girl :) ) arrives to rock the F fleet. The 2 students meet briefly on the way in to her concert. In the grand anime tradition, half way through, aliens attack. Special forces (SMS) arrive to fight and defend people. Continuing tradition, Saotome somehow gets his hands on a VF-25 and saves Ranka. Given his battle skills, and “Top-class” EX skills, he is placed into the SMS under Ozma’s command. I’m betting the blue Valk from the first trailer is his, b/c of hair color and blue trim on his suit. (The only anime I've seen to mess with this system was Voltron, and it seemed wrong somehow...)

All plausible speculations. I'd love for Sheryl to be the Mac 7 flower girl! That would be too much fun! If she were inspired by Basara it would also explain her repeating Basara's battle call, "Here my song..."

After examining the VF-25 in battle armor, I have to agree with Graham that the armor has a blast shield over the cockpit (at least in GERWALK mode). It makes sense when you consider it. If the fighter can be combat effective in Battroid mode with only cameras and sensors, then why not every mode? I also noticed omni-directional beam cannons in the armor reminiscent, of the Regult beam cannons...

If the sequence with the City ship is any indicator, then that is the largest civilian ship in the fleet. The "Pills" are all smaller than the City ship. We don't know if there are industry ships like in Mac 7 as they haven't been shown yet.

With the high res second commercial I am reminded of how well the CGI and 2D animation were married in Last Exile. I expect Frontier's animation is on par with that!

Oh yeah, I forgot to make the obligatory comment.

In the story, the Macross Frontier space colonization fleet is hosting a concert of an idol singer from the nearby Macross Galaxy fleet when a mysterious enemy attacks.

Oh good, so this will be nothing like Macross 7. :p

:ph34r:

Just wondering should I tidy up the Frontier Image Page and remove all the duplicate lower resolution smaller pics, or should I leave everything there for posterity?

Graham

I think it's better to leave everything, as a chronology of how we have been getting the info on Macross F.

Although I'd recommend to change the Second Trailer for Cell Phones with the new & complete version ^_^

Just wondering should I tidy up the Frontier Image Page and remove all the duplicate lower resolution smaller pics, or should I leave everything there for posterity?

Graham

Clean it up. There's only going to be more material as time goes on and the further along it goes, the more you'll kick yourself for not dumping all those duplicates and low res pictures earlier. Eventually it'll get so big you'll wish you had maintained it earlier so there wouldn't be so much work later. Trust me :)

Speculation:

SS = Special Service (later renamed Commandos), a division of soldiers in British Service during WWII (different from the Schutzstaffel)

SMS = Special Macross Service

Speculation:

SS = Special Service (later renamed Commandos), a division of soldiers in British Service during WWII (different from the Schutzstaffel)

SMS = Special Macross Service

I would more likely think possible Special Military Services might be closer to what it stands for. I just hope it doesn't stand for Special Music Services :wacko:

Absolutely sexy. It's reminding me a little of Vandread, with the colorful mecha animation style, just much more refined.

Count me in the group of "desperately waiting to download the fansub."

Also, what is the difference between a VF-17 and a VF-171? I see the terms both being thrown around, but I'm confused by the "171" - is that in error or did I miss something?

Current thinking based on information known so far (or extrapolted from screen captures), is the that VF-171 is the latest advanced variant of the VF-17, the differences so far known are: -

1) Reshaped longer and rounder nose.

2) Redesigned canopy with greater visibilty for pilot.

3) Ability to carry wing-mounted ordnance.

4) Reshaped wing trailing edge(?).

Graham

Hmm... just a thought, do we know for sure if Sheryl is real? That glowy ghost shot reminded me a little of the way Myung generated Sharon. Considering how relatively prim/properly dressed the character is shown in all the other available pictures, I wouldn't have a hard time at all believing the fan-service version is a simulation. Not betting on it, but it would explain the glowy shot.

As for fan service though, I think it goes a little farther than some may have first thought.. Anyone else notice the thigh-highs, and riding crop? :blink:

Edited by Chronocidal

Just checked several stores and still no Newtype here in HK yet :(. I'm damn curious to know how Kresphy got that scan so early, before it's even out in Japan.

Something to consider as well, is that those Newtype pics may not be 100% representative of how the characters look in the anime, or the pics may show how the characters appear in one specific scene or episode, rather than their general apperance throughout the whole TV series.

Graham

Macross and fanservice !?!? that never happened before... except the naked minmei scenes in the original and movie... and in plus when isamu bangs lucy and all the stupid stuff in 7 and the lesbian rape thing in 7 dynamite and in zero ...

aside from all that never has there been fanservice in macross :blink:

Did you see the part where I said BLATANT? This is not a brief shower scene or something, this is a character dancing around in bondage gear. This looks like Sorcerer Hunters. If the characters prance around like this all the time I'm a little concerned. A lot of lame anime these days tries to get by on fan service without bothering with things like characters or decent animation.

Don't see why everyone's complaining about FANSERVICE. Come on! This can only be a good thing. I only wish they had valks that must be ridden in naked. Now that should be something cool!

But seriously...there were some parts of the trailers that had Sheryl in what looks like bridge bunny uniform. Is she also a bridge bunny or something?

Did you see the part where I said BLATANT? This is not a brief shower scene or something, this is a character dancing around in bondage gear. This looks like Sorcerer Hunters. If the characters prance around like this all the time I'm a little concerned. A lot of lame anime these days tries to get by on fan service without bothering with things like characters or decent animation.

IMHO, the world would be a much nicer place if cute chicks danced around in bondage gear and/or wore ultra-short Chinese dresses all the time!

Graham