Macross 25th Anniversary and Macross F/Frontier news thread III

azrael

OK, I picked up the November issue of Shonen Ace and it does have a full page advertisment with pictures for the upcoming Macross Frontier manga. The scan is below. I'll add it to the MF page at the weekend.

I've gotta say, this is the first time I've ever bought a copy of Shonen Ace (or any of the Japanese phone book size monthly manga publications) and I was surprised at how appaling both the paper and print quality are. Regarding the paper, the words "low quality toilet paper" sping to mind! Just quite shocked to find something Japanese of so crap quality.

Graham

post-11-1196438391_thumb.jpg

I have a theory on the VF-171. Mind you it’s based on the few frames currently available so it’s just speculation but I thought to share it with everyone.

Facts:

-We’ve seen the 171 fly in squadrons/wings launching a wave of missile, most likely to incoming enemies.

-We’ve seen pilots prepping the VFs either in a launching tube or hangar bay. The thing is the pilots are faceless. If you look at the helmet you won’t see any face behind it, just a suit. They might be trying to save time and effort from doing random faces for random guy we won’t see again or we shouldn’t be bothered about too much, as opposite to what they did with VF-11 pilots in M7.

So because of the above facts and that the VF-25 being the new state-of-the-art VF I think the VF-171 cover the role the VF-11 did in M7… cannon fodder.

I've gotta say, this is the first time I've ever bought a copy of Shonen Ace (or any of the Japanese phone book size monthly manga publications) and I was surprised at how appaling both the paper and print quality are. Regarding the paper, the words "low quality toilet paper" sping to mind! Just quite shocked to find something Japanese of so crap quality.

It's a disposable publication. If one thinks along the lines of it being like a newspaper, then it begins to make more sense.

It's been a while since I perused Shonen Ace, but I felt it has higher quality than some of the other monthly magazines. By this, I mean quality of story and art.

Take care not to get too much of the ink on your fingers. ;)

According to Anime News Network, Hayato Aoki is the artist for the Macross Frontier manga.

Graham

That's what I looked under. Came up with very little. Thanks for the scan!!

Hrmmmm... looks positively average as a manga art goes. Man I wish Obata, Endo, or even Nihei were on the book.... ^_^

Ha, ha. After all these years, you finally discover what Japanese monthly manga mangazines are like in quality? That's why they have the tankoubon editions of manga.

It's a disposable publication. If one thinks along the lines of it being like a newspaper, then it begins to make more sense.

It's been a while since I perused Shonen Ace, but I felt it has higher quality than some of the other monthly magazines. By this, I mean quality of story and art.

Not referring the the quality of the art or the stories, just the paper and printing, which is atrocious, probably worse even than 70s' era US/UK comics, of which I read a lot as a lad growing up in the 70s'.

Graham

Ha, ha. After all these years, you finally discover what Japanese monthly manga mangazines are like in quality? That's why they have the tankoubon editions of manga.

Never been interested in Manga. The only manga I own is Mylene Beat & M7 Trash, just to be a Macross completist, not beacuse I'm a fan of manga.

Oh and I own an English edition of Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories, but only because somebody gave it to me. That's the grand sum of manga that I've looked at or own.

Graham

Not referring the the quality of the art or the stories, just the paper and printing, which is atrocious, probably worse even than 70s' era US/UK comics, of which I read a lod as a lad growing up in the 70s'.

Graham

That's how the monthly serialised japanese comics are. They are cheap and has tonnes of comics on those pages. The more popular series gets printed into the "manga" you're more aquainted with.

Thanks for the link kresphy!

Graham. The video is streaming and you have to register before watching it.

........the female host is REALLY cute. :wub:

Edited by UN Spacy

What's with all the vegetables?

It just turned into an episode of Home and Garden. :lol:

I guess he's trying to transform his home into something eco-friendly?

Edited by UN Spacy

oh man I didnt pay attention in my kanj class, where do I register or better yet can someone download and post a link to the video........................please :D

IMPORTANT ???? WHO WILL TAKE THE STAND ON SETTING A TORRENT TO THE MACROSS F FIRST EPISODE, or how will we be able to see it on that special day????????????????

IMPORTANT ???? WHO WILL TAKE THE STAND ON SETTING A TORRENT TO THE MACROSS F FIRST EPISODE, or how will we be able to see it on that special day????????????????

Trust me, I won't worry about this in this day and age.