Destoroiido Spartan!

captain america

Wow!

After that last teaser Pic...PLEASE Put me Down For one Please!!!

I am new to this forum, but NEED to reserve one of these; and possibly a 1/72 Factory after that!:)..(From Mike that is :o)

If that is okay..??

115 Canadian right?

Geesh... Just checked the exchange, and I remember when I got 15 dollars for every ten USD 10 years back, now Canadian is worth More!!

From the looks of it, it will be money well spent and better than dropping the same amount on an original 1/72 ! Hope it gets some cool boxart and decals too!

Edited by darkspartan36

Hi Everyone. Hope that you all had a safe and prosperous new year!

I don't have any pictures for this newest update, as all the parts are being mold-prepped, but things are proceeding smoothly thus far, and I should be ready to start taking orders on the 11th of this months, so start preparing your wallets! :lol:

As usual, I will be giving out payment info when things are ready.

Hey everyone.

I was planning on gauging interest for a 1/72 Spartan kit... Anyone interested? My goal would be to have the detail be in line with all of my previous works, which means free-pose assembly, detailed cockpit and open/close option hatches to show off the armament.

Projected kit price: $115.00 cdn

Oh, also: I've been scouring my reference material as well as the internet, but I can't seem to find any technical front or side views of the Spartan. I'm guessing that since it was such a dissimilar design to the other three that they simply didn't bother, but if anyone knows where I can find some, just give me a heads-up; it'd be much appreciated ^_^

As always, a show of interest or comments are welcome!

I was wondering about garage kits, do you need to accquire some sort of licsence or will it just go under the radar if it is a small enough run? I know this is barely related, I just signed up to find out about lcsences and saw your post right away...you seemed the perfect person to ask

I was wondering about garage kits, do you need to accquire some sort of licsence or will it just go under the radar if it is a small enough run? I know this is barely related, I just signed up to find out about lcsences and saw your post right away...you seemed the perfect person to ask

Isn't it funny how every once in a while a "newbie" pops-up and wants to discuss this, then disappears shortly thereafter? :rolleyes:

Anyway, for one,I have looked into this matter fairly intensely over the last year, and in order for you to have a better under-standing, there are some questions that you need to ask yourself before you can make a determination as to your standing with regards to "licensing", and whether or not you "must" have one.

-What is a licence, and what are the implications associated with "applying" for one?

-Can you be obligated to "apply" for something?

-What language are contracts and legal documents written in?

-Does a word mean the same thing in english as it does in legalese? Why is this important?

-What is a corporate entity, and how do living beings interact with them?

-What is a "person", legally-speaking?

As you can see, the answer is not quite as straightforeward as you may have thought it to be. I suggest researching this matter. You will find that having the right answer is not nearly as important as having the right question.

Isn't it funny how every once in a while a "newbie" pops-up and wants to discuss this, then disappears shortly thereafter? :rolleyes:

Anyway, for one,I have looked into this matter fairly intensely over the last year, and in order for you to have a better under-standing, there are some questions that you need to ask yourself before you can make a determination as to your standing with regards to "licensing", and whether or not you "must" have one.

-What is a licence, and what are the implications associated with "applying" for one?

-Can you be obligated to "apply" for something?

-What language are contracts and legal documents written in?

-Does a word mean the same thing in english as it does in legalese? Why is this important?

-What is a corporate entity, and how do living beings interact with them?

-What is a "person", legally-speaking?

As you can see, the answer is not quite as straightforeward as you may have thought it to be. I suggest researching this matter. You will find that having the right answer is not nearly as important as having the right question.

I think I get it...

You're not worried about it

but I actually said "accquire"

You'll be hearing from my lawyers

(JK !!)

"I think I get it...

You're not worried about it"

Nope. Worrying arises from ignorance. I understand who and what I am, and I understand the nature of the 'law.'

"but I actually said "accquire""

I don't believe that you can 'acquire' a 'licence' any more than you can 'lower'something upwards.

"You'll be hearing from my lawyers"

This is an ambiguous statement. Is this an offer of discussion? Are you implying that you have a claim against me?

:lol:

Haha, no worries guys, this stuff is actually fun for me ^_^

Just in the last 3 months, I've been able to help a friend get rid of 3 parking 'tickets' as well as give a proverbial 'black eye' to the MINISTER OF TRANSPORT and RBC BANK, and I'm lining-up CRA in my crosshairs; helps me to sharpen my superhero skills in between modelling projects :lol:

Oh, and back on-topic. Everyone knows that there will be a price jump from $115 to $140 on the Spartan kit from the 31st casting onwards, right? I mentioned it on the SM forums here, but I just wanted to make sure.

http://www.samurai-monkey.com/boardz/viewtopic.php?t=1072

Haha, no worries guys, this stuff is actually fun for me ^_^

Just in the last 3 months, I've been able to help a friend get rid of 3 parking 'tickets' as well as give a proverbial 'black eye' to the MINISTER OF TRANSPORT and RBC BANK, and I'm lining-up CRA in my crosshairs; helps me to sharpen my superhero skills in between modelling projects :lol:

So is bad resin your Kryptonite then ?

Payment sent as noted on the SM page.

By the way, not to spoil the fun but since you asked... (not necessarily intended for Captain A but to those in general who would like to explore these issues)

"-What is a licence, and what are the implications associated with "applying" for one?"

Following is a weblink to the Wikipedia page describing what a "license" is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License

For the purpose of our discussion, please refer to the section titled "Intellectual Property".

"-Can you be obligated to "apply" for something?"

As explained above, a "license" is required or desired if there is a threat or risk of infringing other person's intellectual property right. Again, a license is a "permission to use such intellectual property right" and in particular, "a promise not to sue for a breach thereof". So, if there is a risk of being sued for breach of another person's IP right, it would be prudent to obtain such license from the holder of such IP right. As has been discussed time and time again on this forum, there is a dispute as to who holds these rights outside of Japan. Thus, in real life, it's quite tricky for any of us to figure out who the rightful owner is, let alone, "apply" for such a license. In addition, where a small number of custom items are being produced (as opposed to mass production) amongst community members for a relatively small amount of financial/monetary gains, there is an argument that there is little or no practical risk of any IP right infringement claims being sought by the "rightful" owner. This, obviously, is a judgment call for any of us and it is clear that Captain has made one. As a fan of Macross and anything in 1/72 scale that is Macross-related, I am certainly not one to oppose his judgement. :rolleyes:

"-What language are contracts and legal documents written in?"

The contracts and legal documents can be written in any language and lawyers take pains to ensure that the language is clear and unambiguous as possible (i.e. the birth of legalese - for more, see below). The contracts often can be entered into in multiple languages if the parties to such contract speak more than one language but will often set forth one of those languages (often times, English) to be the "prevailing" language in the event of a dispute in a court of law, arbitration or other forum and venue of dispute settlement. In addition, the contract will specify which of the many laws of the world to govern such contract. In the case of IP, they will be governed by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the IP is registered or if no such registration is required or necessary, the law providing for such IP rights in a given jurisdiction.

"-Does a word mean the same thing in english as it does in legalese? Why is this important?"

Words should mean the same thing whether in "English" or "legalese". However, the language in contracts and statutes are often carefully "drafted and worded" to take into account any ambiguity arising from multiple meanings associated with words used in plain English (or other languages, as the case may be). This often results in very long and elaborate descriptions, qualifications and definitions used in contractual and statutory provisions, which are better known to a layperson as "legalese". For example, a simple sentence such as "this is mine" can turn into a one and a half pager in legalese.

"-What is a corporate entity, and how do living beings interact with them?"

A "corporation" or similiar corporate entities are specifically defined under the laws of its jurisdiction of incorporation, establishment or formation. "Corporations" require individuals (often directors and officers of such corporations) who are authorized to act on their behalf, bind them to contracts, etc. and to take action to interact with other "Persons" (see definition below).

"-What is a "person", legally-speaking?"

Legally speaking, a "person" is often defined very broadly to include any individual or any other form of entity. For example, the following is a definition of "person" used in a typical contract or statute. “Person” means any individual, corporation, limited liability company, limited or general partnership, joint venture, association, joint stock company, trust, unincorporated organization, any other legal entity, government or any agency or political subdivisions thereof or any group comprised of two or more of the foregoing.

Edited by valkyrie13

Excellent post Valkyrie13!

I could elaborate at length on those matters and pick apart any 'Notice of Cease and Desist' to demonstrate the sheer baselessness of the demands therein. There are also some things I've discovered that even lawyers will not tell their clients, and that's a whole mess in and of itself, but since this isn't quite the place for it, I will leave it to the discretion of those interested to persue these matters on their own time.

Back on topic, there are seven models left in the original batch at $115.00.

Edited by captain america

Effective immediately, the Destoroido Spaltan price now shifts to $140.00. Those of you who have already sent payment and those of you who have messaged me noticing me of incoming payment are A-OK. Either way, if there is a problem, please rest assured that I will notify you privately; no news is good news, as they say.

If it helps anyone, considering the amount of plastic and labor involved, and the sheer detail of the kit, they should have been $140 from the get-go, so the people who purchase the 31st model onward aren't so much getting a bum rap as those first 30 are taking me to the cleaners :unsure:

Whew!! Just made it I guess! :blink:

Glad I snuck in under the wire, but we want to make sure you can keep producing these awesome kits!

Just out of curiosity, besides the volume of resin that these kits take, is the increased cost of oil affecting the price of the resin you are buying?

If it helps anyone, considering the amount of plastic and labor involved, and the sheer detail of the kit, they should have been $140 from the get-go, so the people who purchase the 31st model onward aren't so much getting a bum rap as those first 30 are taking me to the cleaners :unsure:

I feel a little guilty now... :ph34r:

It looks really good. I'm glad I bought two.

I'm convinced that if Mr Moscato was born during renaissance times, he would have gone down in history as one of the masters. They would have named a ninja turtle after him!!! Seriously though, The Cap is an artistic genius.

Quick update: casting is going quite well, and the first 30 models should be cast by early next week. I also did some mocking-up of the Spartan and took some quick photos. Looks way better than I'd anticipated it would.

I want one I want oneee??? .... ???? wait amenete... i want a refund, spartan doesnt have fingers?! OMG! lol

It looks really good. I'm glad I bought two.

I'm convinced that if Mr Moscato was born during renaissance times, he would have gone down in history as one of the masters. They would have named a ninja turtle after him!!! Seriously though, The Cap is an artistic genius.

LOL

"Come on Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelanglo and Jon, lets kick Shreaders butt"

:lol: Im not so sure it has the same ring, but he is great at what he does.

I also did some mocking-up of the Spartan and took some quick photos. Looks way better than I'd anticipated it would.

Holy crap! :blink: That looks awesome John, you really did a fantastic job! The hip joints and elbows are very elegant solutions to problematic areas too. Very, very nice. :lol: