Ride Armor Comparison

eriku

I appologize for yet another Ride Armor thread, but with all the releases coming I thought it would be interesting to compare them all side-by-side and explore the differences, pros and cons of each. I just have images of them combined with the rider for starters, and a shot of the original Gakken to see if the new kids can live up to their daddy's standards.

RA.jpg

gakken.jpg

They all look so good. I personally like the styling of the Megahouse version best, but the size of the rider on the bike is a little strange looking. Toynami's looks great, if a bit chunky. I mostly expect their QC to be aweful. CMs looks very basic, but it is an early shot and it could look totally different once painted. I like it though.

post-430-1195095035_thumb.jpg

I'll probably own all of them... some maybe only briefly. I think MegaHouse is asking a bit much though but a lot of that is because I have to have it shipped from Japan. I don't know why HG wouldn't work out a distribution deal with them though... maybe they will. I could definitely see me scooping up a $49.99 MH ride armor but when it gets to be $75 shipped it gets a bit tougher. The Toynami MPC will probably be easily had for that same price and with diecast and I'm pretty sure it's bigger. I really will need to see some good bike comparison shots though. The CMs version seems like it will be the real cheapy in the group so I might pick that up as packing material with a Valk i'll order.

EDIT - Did Rey/Rand's armor even have a scope? I thought the scopes were used by Stig for his gauntlets and Yellow for his chest missiles.

Edited by jenius

I'm curious to see what the CMs looks like combined. Seems to be missing some bits in these early photos. So far the CMs version seems to have the best proportion when it comes to rider/bike. That damn Megahouse is pure eyecandy though. It's like it looks so good that I overlook the pow-pow-powerwheels vibe. :)

CMs could be fun to have, I'll wait for more detailed pics of the final protos. I've preordered the Megahouses as well. The sculpt looks great and I don't mind the riders bodies. Besides MH's look much more poseables, but as jenius said, Toynami's probably end up costing us the same if not less than the Megahouses, so I might give it a shot if the reports aren't too catastrophic.

I'll probably own all of them... some maybe only briefly. I think MegaHouse is asking a bit much though but a lot of that is because I have to have it shipped from Japan. I don't know why HG wouldn't work out a distribution deal with them though... maybe they will. I could definitely see me scooping up a $49.99 MH ride armor but when it gets to be $75 shipped it gets a bit tougher. The Toynami MPC will probably be easily had for that same price and with diecast and I'm pretty sure it's bigger. I really will need to see some good bike comparison shots though. The CMs version seems like it will be the real cheapy in the group so I might pick that up as packing material with a Valk i'll order.

EDIT - Did Rey/Rand's armor even have a scope? I thought the scopes were used by Stig for his gauntlets and Yellow for his chest missiles.

Considering the size of the MH ones, I'd say shipping will run about $10 for the cheap shipping method.

Also, comparison shots are a good idea.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Megahouse (it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy another Toynami product) but I'd really like to get a look at this vaporware Beagle version before I do any pre-ordering. Sure Megahouse's bike mode looks a bit small, but the tradeoff is a kickass armor mode.

Someone should find & post a picture of a decent Imai Ride Armor. It seems to me that their take on it had better proportions than the Gakken rendition (and, by proxy, the Toynami.)

The Megahouse toy looks best in armor mode. The sculpt and detailing in this mode look pretty nice. The bike mode, however, leaves quite a bit to be desired in my book. The front fairing, shocks, and windscreen are just all wrong. The 'tank' area looks wrong because the fairing isn't deep enough to shroud it, and I'm not too fond of the cage assembly to mount the saddlebags. I'll buy one, but it will probably stay in armor mode.

The Namitoy version looks pretty OK in armor mode, not quite as nice as the MH though. It's a bit bulkier, but that reinforces the sculpt in bike mode. It does look a lot better than the MH in bike mode, with the only really glaring proportional weirdness being the size and shape of the fairing - the windscreen and shocks by contrast look great. Will buy one, and [will try to] remain cautiously optimistic :lol:

CMs ride armor is a little bit of an unknown quantity, but the sculpt actually looks pretty decent on the bike... Not quite so much on the rider, from what we've seen. Still, who knows what we're missing, it may look pretty cool finished and painted. As long as there is decent durability, it should actually be pretty cool to fiddle with. At the size, looks like like an excellent replacement for the old Gakken small ride armors.

Until I have these in hand and can make an informed judgement, I'll have to stay with the large Gakken as the best of the best.

Well, if u guys dun mind here's my opinion.

Ride armour:

=========

1/15 Mega House: Ride armor, closest to anime. best looking of two ( comparing between toynami and Mega House)

1/12Toynami : Ride Amour , Chunky, reminds me of gakken's style with articulation most prob.

1/?? Beagle: Not shown/ No proto pics

1/18 CM corp: Ride armour not shown, only proto pic in cyclone mode.

Cyclone mode:

==========

1/15 Mega House: Bit on the small side, make rider abit bigger. ( but hey anime magic dun work on actual product )

1/12Toynami : Almost proportional, quite gd ratio reminds me of gakken's style with articulation most prob.

1/?? Beagle: Not shown/ No proto pics

1/18 CM corp: Quite proportional also, seem to be quite fitting but small size out of so many.

Personally i feel it's not the best out of the two but, which mode u prefer.

If u prefer a ride armour in good proportions, Mega House currently is the best to get.

If you prefer cyclone mode, i prefer toynami / CM corp, toynami is infamous for their QC problem thus.. i will end up with a CM corp eventually, i am sure i will see reports on QC problems, but hey.. it's lesser i suppoose. and calculating the probability, it seems we will not be unlucky to get a bad one.

My two cents worth of opinions on the comparism..

no offence anyone.. =)

I will personally vote Megahouse, that is my personal opinion =)

Dang, I forgot about the Beagle one or I would have put up a 4th panel with a big "?" on it. :D

I think what I like best about the CMs version is that it's molded in the green plastic like the old Gakken. The Megahouse and Toynami appear to be painted that color - which isn't neccessarily BAD, but it's hard to beat plastic molded in the correct color sometimes.

With all of these options I almost wish there was at least one that I could look at and say "that looks terrible, there's no way I'd consider that one". As it is, they all look pretty fantastic in their own ways. The only one I'd be afraid to buy is Toynami's because it's almost guaranteed to have QC problems. If it gets good reviews when it's released I'll definitely pick one up.

More than they're worth, less than we're willing to pay.

LOL, that pretty much sums up this entire hobby. :)

I think the only one of these to recieve a price tag so far is the Megahouse, which is in the $50 range. I'm jus thrilled to be getting a Japanese specialty toy for under $100.

Edited by eriku

You should post the original line art for the Ride Armor also.

I think the Megahouse Ride Armor looks terrible and not close to the animation/line art.

Toynami's looks good, but a bit boxy. It needs more rounded edges.

CMS actually looks pretty sharp so far.

I'll definately get Toynami's and CM's. Megahouse is last on my list.

Edited by Totoro242

I've bad news on the Megahouse ride armor:

I was looking at the armor mode pic and specially liked how the shoulder seats so high up, unlike Toynami's. Then I started to wonder how the shoulder pice got in that position and I got scared of the answer: the shoulder piece should be swappable i.e. even farther to perfect transformation.

I thought that to make this possible Megahouse would've to have made a small hole or slot on each shoulder pad of the pilot. So I went to my Ridearmor Toys folder in search for pics and to my horror I found this:

post-1636-1195151991_thumb.jpg

That stinks on the removable parts for the Megahouse, but it's not enough to turn me off. The more I look at the CMs though, the more it's becoming my favorite. I'm not even sure why, but I get a really fun vibe from it. Can't wait to see it in a more finished state, and combined.

Right now the biggest bummer for me is that none of these will come in time for Christmas. Waaaaah!

I've bad news on the Megahouse ride armor:

I was looking at the armor mode pic and specially liked how the shoulder seats so high up, unlike Toynami's. Then I started to wonder how the shoulder pice got in that position and I got scared of the answer: the shoulder piece should be swappable i.e. even farther to perfect transformation.

I thought that to make this possible Megahouse would've to have made a small hole or slot on each shoulder pad of the pilot. So I went to my Ridearmor Toys folder in search for pics and to my horror I found this:

I kinda dig that. The shoulder housing constrains so much of the Gakken's poseability. If they didn't do it that way, I woulda asked... why didn't they just do this? The Megahouse looks so much better in ride armor than the toynami. I like the face sculpts and the colors too. I'll prolly get one of the tonamis to check out the quality, but aside from that I won't be getting any more based on passed experiences.

I'm leaning towards picking up the Megahouse ones at the moment. I actually don't think that the Toynami sculpts look too bad - in fact they look pretty decent. However, having been unimpressed with build quality of my one MP Alpha Fighter I'm not entirely convinced they are going to be worth whatever the eventual price point is whenever they actually come out. Besides, I know I do quite like the look of the Megahouse Ray and I wouldn't want to have a mixed set. (Besides, as far as I know Megahouse are the only ones who have so far suggested they will be doing a Hoquet, so they look like my best bet for a full line-up).

Karl

Looks like the handlebars on the MegaHouse are attached to the shocks as well as a single removeable piece, and Im thinking that its definatly a part swap out for the targetting scope. Its so purty, but its doin things im not as keen on... Im almost thinking that the toynami will be better suited to my tastes.. dangit..

we still haven't seen an armour on for the CM's right?

Something that was worrying me a bit too was that on the old gakken, the swingbars were all metal, and fairly chunky, yet all the new ones are seemingly not metal, nor very strong looking. I guess maybe the reduced size means plastic is ok to use, but for the weight they will surely have on the them, Im wondering how had it will be to cold caste some metal bits lol. (im not being negative, really! hehe)

everytime I go back to the first page and look at the pics though, the MH is just so visually appealing though! Form over function may win the day! =-)

who am i kidding.. im gonna get one of each im sure of it, just so I dont miss out on some of the coolest mecha armour ever!