Street Fighter 4

Does someone know something I don't? Has madCatz suddenly started putting out quality products? A couple years ago I'd have rather had my junk bitten off by a rabid wolverine than purchase any peripheral made by Madcatz, 175 bucks for a used arcade stick?
Nope. I've heard of some people having probs with their 6 button gamepad. But Madcatz seems to be the only game in town as far as putting out a Street Fighter friendly controller. That doesn't give them much motivation to improve on their quality, does it?

I think what we're seeing with those crazy Ebay prices is simply mob mentality at its finest. In a couple weeks, the supply will surpass the demand and a few price gougers will have more controllers than they can unload.

My controller should be here Monday. I won't be going online for a few days though---I need to get back into the groove. :) While I do use Ken quite a bit, I'm an even bigger Chun-Li/Vega player. You'll also see me use Rose for sure, maybe Dhalsim. Cammy and Fei Long will be cameos. :)

Those were the days, when I would ditch school or stay late in the local 7 eleven or donut shop and challenge anyone. Now I can do it from the comfort of my own couch. I wonder how bad the lag is? Mine seemed alittle slow at times.

I still remember, at least in the S.F. Bay Area, that guys would have a small crowd around the SF2 arcade game. There'd be a line of quarters on the top panel of the machine. They all somehow can tell who's quarter it was that was next. I recall dudes cutting school for SF2.

I do admit while I always liked the alpha series I often found it too difficult to play. Because of that fact I choose to stay away from the franchise until it went back to its roots to a more basic fighting system. I was never a frequent arcade rat and I didn't really have ne one to play against so the alpha series really wasn't worth my time IMO.

While some ppl on these forums are expressing some disappointment with this latest installment gameplay wise. I think its the smartest decision capcom ever made. Those of us who used to play SF2 back in the day still remember all those original characters from that game and to bring them back helps carry the game sales wise a long way.

Also the gameplay desperately needed to be resimplified because the generation that grew up with the alpha series doesn't really play these fighting games nowadays and most of them moved on to bigger and better things.

Most of the ppl playing this new installment won't be the old hardcore crowd that spent countless hours and tokens duking it out in the arcades and honing their skills in countering and multi combo/super move skills.

The series started to wane in popularity IMO after Alpha 3 with the whole drastic change up in the block and combo system and the fact that the market was already flooded with too many fighting games to begin with. Street Fighter 3rd Strike came as a quiet whimper in the arcades and snuck its way onto PS2 about 3 years later but by then street fighter lost most of its popularity and no one really cared about the franchise ne more up to that point...

I think of this new game as a kind of reset to bring in new fans to the series and breath new life into it... Its the smartest choice business wise. As of right now there really aren't ne good hardcore 2d fighting games to compete with it atm. Possibly in the future a SF game that plays more like the alpha series may be released to a new generation of fans that will hopefully embrace a more complicated hardcore fighting system but for now I am happy with what we have, which is a great fighting game that can be enjoyed by novice or pros alike. Since I haven't played a new street fighter game in a long time it feels refreshing to be able to learn the basic move sets again and experiment with different combination's and so forth.

IMO although kinda simple compared to the alpha series the game is still very fun and accessible to play and that's what I think capcom needed to make this franchise profitable and popular again.

Edited by transfan52

I've never ever been a SF fan (mainly because most fighting games I fail at) but I'm really tempted to play this one. For those who have played it, would this be a good installment to break into the series with or should I back track to something older?

I've never ever been a SF fan (mainly because most fighting games I fail at) but I'm really tempted to play this one. For those who have played it, would this be a good installment to break into the series with or should I back track to something older?

It's fine for a first timer. Accessible yet deep if you take the time.

Me and a few buds gave it a rental last night. So far it seems good, I can't pull off as many moves as regularly as I'd like (like the ultras, I just cant get the consecutive quarter turns right). I'm not sure if it's my timing, but that will just take practice I suppose. Don't like Seth though, it got better as the night went on, but dear god he was relentless, even on the easiest mode.

Seth isn't relentless. Seth is CHEAP. You see this almost everytime he wins in stead of a "V" or "P" symbol to show he won you see a "C" sign. Cheap. Basically all he does is Teleport. 360. Teleport. 360. OR Sonic Boom/Dhalsim arms then Shin Shoryuken/Lightening kick. Even cheaper then Bison/Vega was in Championship Ed. Not sure I really want to unlock him since I have friends who love being cheap. Guess I could use Akuma and Raging Demon their asses......

That said, I love playing Rufus in this game. So so jiggly! hahaha!

I've had it since Thursday night and have already clocked in 24 hours of game time, which I haven't done in any game since the last PS2 AceCombat... Got Gouken in that time frame too with about 16 hours of online play, so my left thumb is sore as hell using my dual shock pad. How is the MadCatz stick so that I can save my poor thumbs?

Don't know, trying to find a MadCatz TE stick for a REASONABLE amount is near impossible. Playing on a Hori stick though, well let's just say I'm never going back to playing with the DS3. Grew up at the arcade and never could transition well to the D-pad.

A friend of mine does have it though. It's apparently is one of the better MadCatz controllers out there, the TE version not the SE. He rates it as being worth $100, not the retail price of $150 or the scalpers price of $500.

I just played for the first time a bit tonight. Ken makes everything embarassingly easy. Actually TOO easy to get dragon punches--I get them when going for fireballs. Chun-Li seems nerfed, she gave me my worst initial impression of her ever. I mean, they change her a lot in each new game, but this time she just seems "lacking"---no GOOD basic combos (all variations of the same), everything requires a charge, her vertical spinning kick can't be done by itself, and her super/ultra is WEAK (and needs to be charged--good luck doing that against teleporting Seth). (I really don't like the <+K, K, D/U+K quasi combo---99% of the time I end up getting a lightning kick instead unless I start from a totally neutral situation---plus again, D/U+K can't be done alone, when it ROCKED in Alpha as a D,F,DF+K)

And Chun-Li trial 4-3 seems impossible. Can do heavy punch cancelled into s.bird kick a hundred times in a row, but after a fully charged focus attack? No way. (and I'm not the only one--it was one of the first topics I found at Gamefaqs)

Of course, I doubt Capcom would "screw up" one of the main characters, so I'm guessing there's a lot of stuff I have to learn. (still, Alpha 2 was my fave Chun, followed by Third Strike)

Even though I've never been a huge SF fan, I've always though Ken was pretty cool. So naturally I chose him when I got a chance at the controls. He, and Ryu for that matter, seem the most..I dunno noob friendly I guess. I could get him to launch the Hadoken all day long and same with his whirlwind kick, but I could not get his Shoryuken to go off, I mostly just did it by mistake. This is my own fault of course, and probably partially to my not knowing exactly what the some of the joystick movements mean in the move list screen. Still, me and my buddies have the title for 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll get to play with it enough so that buying it and unlocking things is realistic for me.

My buddies played with many other characters too with varied degrees of success. Though we are all new enough to the series to not really offer commentary on them.

Im doing pretty well with Dan.

i can't seem to unlock Akuma. I thought u had to beat Arcade with everyone, which I did, but he didnt unlock.

Fav characters are Honda and Fei Long. best of luck tryignt pull off Guiles Ultra or Super.

I couldn't figure out how to unlock Akuma based on the cheat information provided at most gaming sites, even after several tries, until a friend of mine told me that to guarantee getting him, play the easiest setting and try to get at least 1-2 perfects, 1-2 Ultra finishers, and not lose a round to anyone, including Seth (so obviously no continues either). Akuma will pop up right after you beat Seth, before the ending movie plays out.

Getting Gouken is fairly similar, except you use Akuma to get 2-3 perfects, and 3 ultra finishers, which is a breeze on easiest once you have Akuma.

Say what you want about Ken/Ryu being used too much (which is true) or the spamming of fireballs etc...the worst I have run into online has to be Blanka. Anyone who uses him usually just spams his electric special move..how annoying.

I still have to unlock Gouken. I might not even bother with Seth. What's the point?

I've been a Ken player for years but it does get quite boring. He's really overpowered in SFIV. I've been using Cammy, Fei Long, Rose and Abel.

I couldn't figure out how to unlock Akuma based on the cheat information provided at most gaming sites, even after several tries, until a friend of mine told me that to guarantee getting him, play the easiest setting and try to get at least 1-2 perfects, 1-2 Ultra finishers, and not lose a round to anyone, including Seth (so obviously no continues either). Akuma will pop up right after you beat Seth, before the ending movie plays out.

Getting Gouken is fairly similar, except you use Akuma to get 2-3 perfects, and 3 ultra finishers, which is a breeze on easiest once you have Akuma.

That didn't work for me. I got Akuma and I perfected and ultra finished with Akuma a few times but it kept only going to the movie cutscene of Gouken sealing off Ryu. It was only when I used a different fighter(Ryu) and perfected/ultra'd the game that I got to unlock Gouken.

Re: Blanka elec spamming. Sigh, all I seem to do lately is spam Chun's lightning kick---it activates WAY easier than ever before, thus it happens accidently a lot while just attempting to combo NORMAL kicks. Hit medium kick twice and it'll start going and almost every one of her moves will cancel into it. With the loss of any non-charge spinning kick, it's one of the few good moves she has left. (plus, it's much better than it was before--I used to almost NEVER use it--now it and EX bird kick are my 2 mains). (EX bird kick is very different from standard, and WAY more useful)

Going to try Claw later, and Rose as soon as I unlock her. Then Cammy, Fei-Long, and Dhalsim.

Sounds like there is trouble with some of the Mad Catz joysticks

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172875

1. Some customers have reported issues with their standard edition Arcade FightStick. A very small amount of users have experience problems with the sticks responsiveness. Please note that this issue does NOT happen on each Arcade FightStick and has been reported on a small number of units. The issue is due to a metal washer shifting out of place and is easily rectified. The issue and the resulting fix have been extensively documented on several forums. However, to avoid voiding your warranty, we recommend contacting Mad Catz technical support who will be happy to assist. Mad Catz is committed to fixing all sticks that exhibit this issue. Our contact information lies below.

2. Some customers have reported scratches on the top of their Tournament Edition. This could have occurred during the pack-out portion of the manufacturing process. It is not the result of recycling old or used parts or the result of any kind of rushed manufacturing process. Mad Catz would never do such a thing. Mad Catz will replace tops with serious scratches caused by the manufacturing pack-out process. Again, in the highly unlikely occurrence of your Tournament Edition Arcade FightStick exhibiting serious scratches, please contact us and we will be happy to assist.

Edited by bandit29

The easiest way to get Akuma & Gouken is:

After unlocking Sakura, Dan, Gen, Fei Long, & Rose -

-set the game to very easy, 1 round

Get at least 2 perfects & 2 Ultra's, obviously you won't be able to lose a battle since it's set to 1 round.

This should unlock Akuma.

Play through a regular game, and clear it with Akuma.

Then go back to very easy 1 round, and this time (not sure if Akuma is required, but I used him) play through with at least 2 perfects (I got 3 to be safe), and 3 Ultra's. Not losing a round, that will unlock Gouken.

And really, why isnt' there the option to play all characters with their original names yet? I want Balrog to be M. Bison, Vega to be Balrog, and M. Bison to be Vega. But mostly, I want Akuma to be Gouki damnit!

I've noticed an audio problem, and I'm trying to figure out if it's the TV, PS3, or game itself.

After a while playing (usually after winning arcade mode), the sound effects will start being 1/2 or 1 second "behind". Most noticeable with menu selections. Anyone else experienced this? I can't really tell if it's just the effects or ALL sound, since it's very hard to tell if the background music "starts" later than it should. Resetting either game or TV seems to fix it, so that doesn't help narrow it down.

I currently have the 360 version of SFIV and when I first started playing with the standard D-pad, I had some trouble pulling off a lot of moves. As I played it became a lot easier after I got used to the timing and direction of the pad. One drawback though is that the standard D-pad isn't very finger friendly and can cause a little irritation and blistering of the thumb with extended use. You will develop a callous if you play enough so it isn't a huge issue but if you want to save your thumb some pain id suggest getting the fightpad.

Unless your a real hardcore player that wants the authentic controls of the arcade stick id recommend you either stick to the fightpad or the standard d pad as the moves aren't that hard to pull off with a little training and some patience.