The Transformers 2 Thread--A Michael Bay thread

areaseven

Transformers 2  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, what did you think of it?

• It was better than the first.
    • It was worse than the first.
    • Who cares?! Both movies suck!
    • Me Grimlock still want stomp Michael Bay!
  2. 2. How many times have you seen this film so far?

• Once. That's it.
    • 2-3 times.
    • 4-5 times.
    • I lost count.
    • Zero. I'll just rent it later this year.
    • Zero. You ain't paying me to watch that crap.
  3. 3. Given its current box office numbers, will this film eventually surpass The Dark Knight and/or Titanic in ticket sales?

• It'll overtake The Dark Knight, but that's it.
    • That ship is going down!
    • Not a chance.

wouldn't it be interesting if that said Raptor had some kind of hi-tech FAST packs,

& it was used for a certain character instead of the SR71? :ph34r:

that woulda been awesome, but the idea of them still looking like crushed cans is totally disappointing.

meh. i'll see it when i see it, but you'll have a hell of a time trying to get me to watch it a 2nd time.

I voted better.

I think Bay did the best that could be expected for a general release live action TF movie and in many ways it stayed true to the spirit of G1.

Also - note that the on-screen characters look FAR SUPERIOR to the poor toys Hasbro came out with. I love the movie line characters - but the toys stink.

Anyways - the one thing I'm really concerned about is Hasbro giving us some proper toys this time around - and I doubt it...

But the Movie 2 will definitely be enjoyable. I can't see how you can be a TF fan and not like what was done :)

VFTF1

Also - note that the on-screen characters look FAR SUPERIOR to the poor toys Hasbro came out with.

Thats because they had to get the designs of the toys started 1 year ahead, to get them out in time for the movie. At the time, the CGI models weren't even finished yet. By the time the toy designs were locked in for production and no further changes could be made because it would delay everything, the movie designs were still being tweaked. Prime's CGI design wasn't even completely finished until right before the movie.

Bring back the alternators...

QFT! The Binal-Tech/Alternators, with some small tweeks to increase poseability, was what I hoped would be the look for the movie. G-1ish enough to please the fans, but still transforming into licensed vehicles with features(steering, opening doors, hoods, etc). Just on its own, the Alternator line cranked out some pretty nifty toys...many of them more complex than Yamato's Valks, IMHO. Grimlock's infernal arms come to mind.

Thats because they had to get the designs of the toys started 1 year ahead, to get them out in time for the movie. At the time, the CGI models weren't even finished yet. By the time the toy designs were locked in for production and no further changes could be made because it would delay everything, the movie designs were still being tweaked. Prime's CGI design wasn't even completely finished until right before the movie.

Moreover, due to the amount of fragmentation of the vehicle's panels and such, no toy will ever match the CG images, so I give Takara a nod for what they were able to accomplish, although there's always room for improvement. Now that the designs for the characters from the first movie are complete, I'm sure the toy offerings for those characters will be superior to the old, and the new charactes' designs will suffer the lack of complete designs and time constraints, but still give us a few decent toys. I hope Blackout gets a better toy..I was pretty disappointed with the Voyager version. And for those who like the Raptor(I don't), I hope Starscream receives a better more accurate sculpt without massive undercarriage, skinny nose syndrome.

Other than the possible toys, I'm pretty meh about the second movie. The first had a few cool scenes, but the cheesy humor, focus on Sam, and sparsity of the bots made it groanworthy for me. I'd almost rather see it done FF:SW style with much much more focus on the title characters, but still preserving a sense of realism.

This is off topic, but I doubt there will be a serious rebirth of Alternators in the forseeable future. It was a line created during Hasbro and Takara's joint projects period, where Hasbro provided the capital (money) for development of Transformers, which is probably why there were so many Alternators released early on. Now that they're no longer doing joint projects, I doubt either company will care enough to make new molds. Tomy is pretty stingy with Transformers (nearly all of their TF product since 2006 have been redecos) and Hasbro sunk millions of dollars into Alternators, with little to show.

This is off topic, but I doubt there will be a serious rebirth of Alternators in the forseeable future. It was a line created during Hasbro and Takara's joint projects period, where Hasbro provided the capital (money) for development of Transformers, which is probably why there were so many Alternators released early on. Now that they're no longer doing joint projects, I doubt either company will care enough to make new molds. Tomy is pretty stingy with Transformers (nearly all of their TF product since 2006 have been redecos) and Hasbro sunk millions of dollars into Alternators, with little to show.

Well, there's that, and there's that they're already putting out Transformers with realistic alt modes through the movie lines. Why waste resources on a fan market when the movie tie-in market dwarfs it in comparison while putting out pretty much the same idea?

As to the movie, I'm cautious about Bay. I did like what I saw and heard on the extras on the Transformers Movie dvd. I found out that he actually did listen to people in the know, which I honestly found surprising. My fear is that he'll forget those little things that made the first movie work, and believe his own hype while making the second one. Therefore more human characterization, more explosions, less bot characterization, less mythos exploration, more explosions, and did I mention more explosions?

I remain cautious because he *did* listen the first time as much as it may pain some rabid fans to admit. It's all there in the dvd extras. I came away begrudgingly respecting the guy after viewing them.

edit: grammar/spelling

Edited by Alpha OTS

I just wanna see Megan Fox with those dashing blue eyes and skimpy jeans again!! hoorai!!

No.Lingerie, bra and panties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Any how today they are filming in my hood in the Kensington area of Philly,Pa under the El Bridge from 12-10pm.They subsituting for Brooklyn.I saw a sign where the crew walking around that says 4th ave and Flatbush avenue.

u know i saw Armageddon again the other day, and i'd forgtten how fun it is. I don't think a film has to be GOOD to be FUN. I just saw Speed Racer, which was pretty bad overall. Lame acting, silly story, all the CG......but then as they got to the 3rd race I realised i had this big grin on my face. I was having fun watching this thing, bad or not. Armageddon is the same for me; Its a ludicrous idea, but its FUN to watch. Transformers is the same in a lot of ways. Sure, there are some monumental leaps in logic needed, and some of the scenes and characters just took up valuable airtime, but the flick is a BLAST to watch!

Have we all become so jaded we forget what its like o just sit and grin at a flick?

Well for me, most comic movies I leave my brains at the door, so I'm used to them not being accepted by the critics in reviews because these movies are seen as merchandise movies not art! I don't really have as high expectations on movies adapted from cartoons either.

The golden rule is that so long as you don't go in expecting movie of the year all the time, and you felt you got your money's worth then that's all that matters.

It's important to remember that different people go in to a movie expecting different things:

I can watch a hong kong action flick and rewatch that hundred of times and rewind the stunts and think its fun to watch over and over again, but hate the crappy acting and poo story.

I can watch a horror movie and pick out all the crap fx, but still think of it as a cult classic. My enjoyment is that it caters to a niche interest that isn't mainstream enough to be able to get the $ to improve the things that would benefit from more of it.

But if a movie is misleading or the hype is big and you paid lots of money to see it and were let down by high expectations built up for months, (star wars episode 1 syndrome?) ...that's different. I can see why you'd want to scrutinise the flaws and bitch about them. You got "tricked" and now want to warn others not to waste money. That's a bit different from someone who went in knowing the risk. ie "it might suck but meh, I have lots of money and want to kill some time and relax. If it is average I won't waste time complaining."

Oftentimes just having that attitude and not knowing anything about the movie might surprise you. It happened to me with the first matrix movie and ironman actually. Hype can sometimes backfire. When you view a trailer or something sometimes what is shown is the best that is in the movie and it may not be representive of the average quality of what's in it. (just bits and pieces of the best thing)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Have we all become so jaded we forget what its like o just sit and grin at a flick?

see, that's my problem with the 1st movie.

i tried to see what might have been good with it, but i left the theater with no silly grin.

but Speed Racer, no matter how ridiculous, embarrassing, or boring it got, i still left with that silly grin.

for all the hokiness & slow pacing Speed Racer had, it looked, sounded, & felt like Speed Racer.

add to that all the nods to the original show, that movie was Speed Racer. and that left a mighty silly grin on my face.

Bay's Transformers simply wasn't. it didn't look, feel, or sound like Transformers. (aside from the transformy sound)

it just had the title, & some names associated with it.

Bay's Transformers simply wasn't. it didn't look, feel, or sound like Transformers. (aside from the transformy sound)

it just had the title, & some names associated with it.

Ummm, it couldn't BE like the Transformers TV show, if that's what you were expecting becuase that would have been stupid. If you want a cartoony movie with a gun that transforms into a GIANT ROBOT, then watch the Transformers animated movie. :p

Ummm, it couldn't BE like the Transformers TV show, if that's what you were expecting becuase that would have been stupid. If you want a cartoony movie with a gun that transforms into a GIANT ROBOT, then watch the Transformers animated movie. tongue.gif

It was never promised that TF LA was going to be G1 anyway.

and i wasn't expecting it to be TV or G1. my point is, should it have been given another title, all the insipidry would have been moot & i would've enjoyed it more.

ubergeeking aside, you can't walk into a movie labeled Transoformers without some expectations of it being what you remember from back then. :)

i was however, expecting something better, with the big budget, the "meddling" from actual TF people, & production value.

all i got was some brainless 'splosion FX fiasco with robots you can hardly look at.

i don't mean it to offend/flame/instigate a new religion, it's just how i feel about the movie.

that said, i hope the 2nd one will be better.

;)

I hated Armageddon.

Hmmm.Are you from Philly?They're aprking cars in a lot near my apartment.
Nah, I just read alot of stuff online :D

It turns out they're actually filming the Paris scene at City Hall, standing in for Ecole Militarie in Paris. Sam's parents are in this scene, along with Bumblebee, a green Chevy Beat and an orange Chevy Trax concept. Maybe they're the rumoured 'twins'? They look almost the same, yet different.

chevybeatchevytraxkl0.jpg

I had some cool hopes and expectations leading up to the movie, but seeing how the majority of the fanbase started behaving like petulant, spoiled children left a very bitter taste in my mouth and I decided to just go and enjoy whatever they put in it. Asking for input from fans was probably the single dumbest thing they could have done, and then throwing Peter Cullen's voice in there gave the whiners an extra feeling of legitimacy to embolden their already overinflated sense of entitlement (because really, Gary Chalk or Neil Kaplan would have done just as good - heck, David "Megatron" Kaye is doing a heck of a job as the current Animated Prime!).

Yet another reason I shifted my interests over to Macross. Here, voices of reason seem to be the norm, rather than the downtrodden exception.

TF2 sounds like it will rock, from everything I'm seeing, and with Animated out there showing how to successfully reach both new and old fans alike, I can't help but hope those in charge will try to emulate some of what is helping the franchise do so well.

I would say its a very vocal minority of the fanbase that complained without end (legitimately or otherwise). Unfortunately the perception was 'most' fans were doing it, hence Bay's sometimes mocking attitude to fans.

And Peter Cullen was awesome as Prime, man :D Excellent decision in not casting Welker as Megatron, as his most famous Transformers voices are very heavily flanged and processed. Both G1 Megs and Soundwave sounded like creepy old men the few times they voices weren't electronically altered in the G1 cartoon.

Oddly, he remarked that they overdid it on Hugo Weaving's voice, leading me to suspect he believes they hired Weaving out of 'star power' rather than talent, despite the fact Transformers never used Weaving's name in any sort of promotion or advertising, to my knowledge.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I liked Weaving's Megatron. It fit for the most part. The *only* bad delivery I can think of was the "I am Megatron". It should have been loud and defiant, but was instead delivered in a matter of fact tone.

There was an extra on the movie dvd where they show a clip of Megatron from the movie and dub it with a Welker sound clip from the cartoon, and it doesn't work at all.

Weaving's Megatron, I think, served as something of a template for the current voice of Animated Megatron - and I think both are fantastic. The new voice is less "maniacal" (sorry, G1 fans!), and seems much more calculating and vindictive, but also capable of extreme violence.

I wonder if Megatron will be present for the new movie or if the rumors of the Fallen making an appearance pretty much sum up the antagonists we'll be seeing. Obviously from the ending of the first movie, Megatron will undoubtedly be back somehow, but do we think they'll get right to it or leave him backstage for the second film?

i thought Cullen's delivery of "I am Optimus Prime" seemed kinda frantic & panicky.

it sounded like an introduction done in a foxhole under fire to me. kinda like...

"Hey, I'm Jack. we just lost our RTO, & we're surrounded by VC. nice to meet you." :lol:

i think Weaving's Megatron worked pretty well too. calm & evil is much more impressive for a bad guy.

i wonder what Weaving's Galvatron will be like...

i think Weaving's Megatron worked pretty well too. calm & evil is much more impressive for a bad guy.

i wonder what Weaving's Galvatron will be like...

Probably calm and evil with slight undertones of should be locked up in the nut farm

It looks more like Ravage, especially with the long, feline face. The bot's... "chest" looks like motorcycle pieces, or other pieces from some vehicle. Those are some sick medusa-dreadlocks that thing is packing!

If I were a kid and would see that thing looking at me, with the medusa tentacles waving about, and it's glowing red eyes, I'd be mentally scarred for life.

Edited by OmegaD3k

I am happy to read that the old Movie characters will have new toys.

That is really good news. It does of course make perfect sense for Optimus Prime NOT to get a new body in the film, but to get a better toy in reality.

I hope that is what happens; because as I said - I love the movie designs - but the toys are so fu fu crap crap.

Hoping for a really great Starscream!