PS2 Macross

Roy Focker

I just had a thought.

I have a PS3 now and my old PS2.

Why don't I convert my PS2 to play that PS2 Macross Game.

What is the best idiot proof way of doing this? I am suppose to buy swap disks and a flip top cover? Does that actually work?

The Flip Top mod with the swap discs is definitely idiot proof. And it works really well. Well, if your PS2 is the slim version then it's a bit trickier. It's still better than attempting to apply a mod chip and ending up with a bricked system.

These things just sit in the tray and you use a software disk before the game?

Sounds really cool.

Which Macross games have you tired?

I have the slim PS2 and I just bought the Magic Key and Swap Magic set.

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/magickeysorder.php

They're easy to install/remove and work just fine.

These things just sit in the tray and you use a software disk before the game?

Sounds really cool.

Which Macross games have you tired?

Well, they kind of lock in, or else springs or something would shoot them out, but that's about right.

Only the PS2 Macross game, which rocks.

Edited by the white drew carey

• 3 weeks later...

I have all the Playstation Macross games. I slowly got all of them on various trips to Japan. This time round I took the plunge and got myself a Ceramic white slimPS2 while I was there . No Mod chips for me. the best Macross Game by far is the one specifically writen for the PS2 all the others are good but they are a bit dated now.

I just hope that with the new series comming that someone will do a new one using current hardware. Something you can play linked up over lan or internet and have epic battles etc and also some of the old stuff too like the SDF1 etc.

if you get tired of swapping discs, you can send you system to NCSX.com. They can do the mod for you and its fairly inexpensive and the turn around time is great.

Not so sure about that anymore, lol:

"I broke my PS2 trying to mod it. Help?"

"Sorry, we no longer repair PS2 wreckage. This policy is due mainly to staff time constraints but also disinterest and apathy."

Edited by myk

I'm actually having a bit of problem with modchip.com. I placed an order and made a typo with my payment information. It was automatically rejected. Second attempt said contact the seller. Email sent on Saturday. No reply yet.

Edit: I doubt they have that many emails to read. I they haven't respond back yet that tell me they will take even longer to fill an order. I went and found another seller. This new one seems legit but just if it is not, I located the person's address and they are only a state away so I can send my goons to get them.

The problem with the Swap disks is I find them unable to take punishment in comparison to other disk media that I got. You have to do some funky swapping to get Berserk to work, and it can take FOREVER to get the CD swap disk working right. Then again, PS2's suck reading stuff, and mine has seen some things. I'm wanting to try the HDLoader thing maybe. Anyone have any luck with that?

I think it might be your PS2. I've got an early model PS2 and have never had any problems with swap discs, even with my DVD-R copy of Sword of the Berserk. But the motor does run unusually loud when reading the swap discs, more so than it does with regular games.

I guess PS2's in general have to work extra hard when reading swap discs and the problem gets compounded if your motor is already worn out? :huh:

edit:

I'm wanting to try the HDLoader thing maybe. Anyone have any luck with that?

I don't have one, but a friend of mine does and it works great! It can be a lifesaver if your motor or lens is beginning to get worn out since you won't need to worry about the PS2 constantly reading from the dvd drive. The only downside is that the ripping time can take up to 20 minutes per disc depending on how large the game is.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

I was thinking about doing the whole flip top/swap magic thing but instead I got lucky and found a Japanese PS2 for $75 bucks on craigslist. www.pinkgodzillagames.com in Seattle has one for $99 if anybody is interested. Saves you the hassle of modding it or doing the swap magic thing over and over again.

Ok I have a semi-related question, do ALL Japanese PS2s play Japanese PS2 games fine, doesn't matter when it's manufactured? Does it play any other games at all?

Or what other good Japanese PS2 games are there? Gundam perhaps?

DYRL is a PS1 game? Not this one here? post-6381-1195147025_thumb.jpg Which Macross game are you guys referring to here?

DYRL was available on the Sega Saturn and the PS1...

Dont you hate it when they say one day it will ship in 24 hour & will take 5 to 7 days. It is day 6 now (holidays & weekends excluded) and I tracked it still in the seller general area. I'll be a monkey's uncle if that 24 hours was really 72.

I got my swap disc today. CD boots up but it isn't reading the DVD one. I looked at the disc and took a picture. Does this look like a defective disc to you too?

Have you tried reading it with your PC's DVD-RW? If it reads it fine there, I was thinking to do a Disc Copy onto a new DVD and try, not sure if it'll work but worth a shot, I guess :)

I got my swap disc today. CD boots up but it isn't reading the DVD one. I looked at the disc and took a picture. Does this look like a defective disc to you too?

Na thats fine thats the glue substraight between the two layers it sometimes get air in the edges.

Edited by big F

Really? Well it still doesn't work. Plus on the offical product site their FAQ does say "If your CD plays but not the DVD contact your seller for a replacement." I guess that means this does happen since it was on their FAQ.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I'm glad I bought a PS3 before I started playing around with my PS2. I got a replacement disc in the mail. The CD was booting up but not the DVD one. The replacement isn't working either. I should also mention that now I can't get a normal dvd or non import game to read either. My PS2 was working fine before trying the swap disc. I'm gonna try to contact the makers of it.

Thats incredibly odd, since I haven't heard of that happening before.

Refresh my memory- Did you get the magic key set as well? If one of those three pieces slipped loose at some point it can affect the whole system. Make sure those are all firmly in place, as well.

Otherwise, I recommend downloading a torrent of the DVD disc and burning an extra copy.

I have a old wider PS2. Just got the disc and swap tool. I did some research. There has been reports of the swap disc not working in this matter.

PS2 has this laser that reads the disc over time it gets weaker. Some lasers just have problem reading certain disc. Helps to stand the PS2 up right instead on its side to play certain games, stuff like that. Might also explain why some DVD had a few errors in play. Remember those common freeze points we had with the animego dvds? It doesn't freeze at those points with my PS3. Some PS2 end up having problems with reading CD and others with DVDs.

Prior to the swap it still played the DVD games. The repairs are nearly a nightmare. I took apart my PS2 and did several adjustments (google PS2 Disc Read Error). There's one adjustment left and that is the risky one, the dots/pods that control laser power to read DVD or something like that. I might have to buy a replacement laser. I'm not sure if the Swap Disc speed up this process. Oh yeah the laser for my model could cost up to $70. I could buy a slighty used PS2 for $100 I bet. It cost under $20 for a Slim model replacement laser. Right now I can play CD games on it. No Macross on PS2 this week. I might try the last repair job but I might have to buy some safety equipment or the risk of electrical shock.

Maybe I should have bought a Japanese PS2.

• 2 weeks later...