LOL :) The colors of the very first quick and dirty version I posted were all sampled from screen shots of the game (with the exception of the grey) :)

It looks like I went too dark with the grey. I guess my my screen shots can be deceiving. I'm going to put the grey about half way between the light and the dark. SHould be just about right then.

It's good to keep in mind that the colors won't be perfect because this is a simple line art interpretation in a limited 256 color gif. The 3D model is probably using several million colors.

You also have to take into account that it is a 3D model that will have enviromental lighting and shadow rendered by the game engine. Most likely the actual colors are somewhere between the brightest and darkest of the two.

Actually IIRC the liner notes for that episode in the Anemeigo DVD set say that variant was hastily desinged by Ichiro Itano. It was realized they had Max destroying a Quel-Qualie with a regular VF-1 while a few episodes earlier Hikaru was barely able to scratch one with a full barrage from his GBP armor. The scene was hastily re-animated by Studio Nue at the last minute which is why it looks kinda like an animefreind mistake. Windjammer/Nanashi/Nanshino had some lineart up of the design at one point but it disapeared after one of his many revisions of macrossmecha.org.

I've just read through the liner notes for Episode 10 and there is nothing mentioned. I read the note for the episode before and after, but nothing is mentioned either. I suppose I could go through all the liner notes, but I'll leave that for another day :)

You also have to take into account that it is a 3D model that will have enviromental lighting and shadow rendered by the game engine. Most likely the actual colors are somewhere between the brightest and darkest of the two.

Agreed. The only thing I can be sure of is the grey in my first picture is wrong. I'm going to keep the changes I've made so far and adjust the grey to a half way mark between the light and dark. After that, I'll call it complete.

***EDIT***

Okay, here is the final picture:

va-3m-battroid.gif

And...

Here's what it looks like using the eyedropper tool to grab the colors from the photograph provided:

va-3m-battroid_eyedrop.gif

Edited by Mr March

I've just read through the liner notes for Episode 10 and there is nothing mentioned. I read the note for the episode before and after, but nothing is mentioned either. I suppose I could go through all the liner notes, but I'll leave that for another day :)

Nuts, having gone through my notes I can't find anything either. I do remember it coming from Egan Loo though. I'll have to do some more digging.

Ah ha! I knew it came from Egan so I looked up his old posts and found this:

It is not a mistake, but it was a half-successful attempt to correct a mistake. The original script called for missile salvos (not just from Max's Valkyrie) to destroy the Bug-Eye in episode 10. The key animator instead drew Max's Valkyrie alone destroying the Bug-Eye with one beam. There was no time to reanimate the scene with missiles from all the Valkyries, so Ichiroh Itano was forced to "correct" the scene by replacing the beam and having Max fire all the missiles himself.

That is why Max's Valkyrie didn't have those missiles at all earlier in the episode, only to have them magically appear in that scene. It's also why those missiles are not in the official specs.

• 5 years later...

As my username implies I'm a fan of the VA-3 Invader design, and I would like to show some info I recently found about it:

http://nomansland.site.nfoservers.com/MRG-Active-Archive/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=7hsds659oeijj8k2v45ule3s86&topic=2250.5;wap2

http://nomansland.site.nfoservers.com/MRG-Active-Archive/forums/index.php?topic=2250.10;wap2

This information is supposedly from the Animation Special Macross Plus: Variable Fighter's Aero Report, and contains basic info on several units including VA-3 Invader on the second page (first link), also it seems to had included images of some custom models whose text is in the third page (second link).

While the second page has a lot of info about the VA-3 and its variants (VA-3A, VA-3B, EVA-3A), what caught my eye was the info on the thrid page, as some of the custom units mentioned were already in service at the time of the "Anti-Bodloza War" which I suppose is another name of Space War I. This does seem to contradict what the second page says about the Invader's design being partially inspired in Zentraedi units.

This information seems to be echoed in the japanese wiki:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-3_%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%83%99%E3%83%BC%E3%83%80%E3%83%BC

Therefore my question is: Is there any indication of when the VA-3 was first deployed?

The fact that the unit was meant to appear in Macross Plus unfortunately doesn't help matters as the unit might not neccesarily have been meant to be a new model from that era (2040s), but could rather have been meant to appear as one of the many units used for target practive during the Super Nova Project tests.

As a side note, from what is written on the second page it would seem that the unit loaded with the MK.82 warheads on the Macross Mecha Manual is probably the VA-3B model:

http://macross2.net/m3/macrossplus/va-3.htm

It IS from the "This is Animation Special Macross Plus: Variable Fighter's Aero Report".

Here's the proper link from my HP to it: http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/OTmiscbooks.php#M+

and contains basic info on several units including VA-3 Invader on the second page (first link), also it seems to had included images of some custom models whose text is in the third page (second link).

Incorrect. There are no custom models let alone pictures of custom models. Only the original image, which predates the VA-3's appearance in such properties as Dynamite 7 and VF-X2.

You can find further information on the VA-3 and it's variants in the links on the link above, as well as the translations to the Macross Chronicles ( http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCindex.php ), and the Macross Compendium (the majority of that info comes from the TiAS:M+ VFAR).

As a side note, from what is written on the second page it would seem that the unit loaded with the MK.82 warheads on the Macross Mecha Manual is probably the VA-3B model:

Those are the images that came with the TiAS:M+ VFAR section on the VA-3.

Here's some further information (remember, Green is official setting info):

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Statistics/VA-3/VA-3.php

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Statistics/VA-3/EVA-3.php

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Statistics/VA-3/VA-3M.php

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Statistics/VA-3/VA-3CKai.php

As my username implies I'm a fan of the VA-3 Invader design, and I would like to show some info I recently found about it:

http://macross2.net/m3/macrossplus/va-3.htm

The image on my website is an edited version of the page spread of the VA-3 from "This Is Animation Special: Macross Plus" and obviously fan colored by myself using the colors taken from inside the back section of that same book. On those websites you posted I'm unsure where they got their designations, but there doesn't appear to be anything within TIAS:M+ to suggest the pictures taken from the book for use on my website represent some variant of the VA-3 with a different lettering designation. Course, there's little information on this craft anyways and it's likely the design was merely a concept fleshed out into a profile until it got animated years later. And even once animated, the design never received much attention. In fact if you look closely at the Battorid art on my website, the right arm of the Battroid mode is missing the "wing" :)

Thanks for the replies so far.

Sketchley's site has a lot of interesting information.

So, besides the VA-3M which was active around the 2050s and the VA-3C which was used by pirates by 2047, is there any info about when the others were in service?

Would I be right to assume that the 600 variable attackers of the Macross 7 fleet are all VA-3B? As a related side question, could the 9 variable bombers be VB-6 or VAB-2

As I mentioned it sounds like the VA-3A might have been around as early as 2010 for it to participate in the Space War I.

I suppose this must be the model without laser guns nor internal micro-missiles.

I also wanted to ask if it could be possible to load missiles or bombs into all eleven hard points if the situation were to call for it. Sketchley's numbers point toward using a maximum of 10 hard points. I assume the last one could either be one reserved for the gunpod or for the fold booster.

Edit: removed uncited content

Edited by VA-3 Invader

Thanks for the replies so far.

Use the quote feature, it'll help make what you're trying to say clearer. Also, did you miss this?

The following may not be copied without my written permission. For further information see the Terms of Service.

Please extend the courtesy of proper citation via linking when you quote or paraphrase this translation.

<_<

So, besides the VA-3M which was active around the 2050s and the VA-3C which was used by pirates by 2047, is there any info about when the others were in service?

The VA-3M used by Macross Galaxy in 2059.

Would I be right to assume that the 600 variable attackers of the Macross 7 fleet are all VA-3B? As a related side question, could the 9 variable bombers be VB-6 or VAB-2

No, and no.

They are most likely VA-14 or some other VA craft, with a smattering of VA-3 (or 3M). The VB is most likely a mix of the VB-6 and VAB-2, along with other VB's that haven't been detailed.

I also wanted to ask if it could be possible to load missiles or bombs into all eleven hard points if the situation were to call for it. Sketchley's numbers point toward using a maximum of 10 hard points. I assume the last one could either be one reserved for the gunpod or for the fold booster.

... you're question has already been answered in the links provided above.

In short, the ones that have a FB mount it on a dedicated DORSAL hard point. The ones that have a GP mount it on one of the eleven (11) VENTRAL hard-points. The VENTRAL fuselage hard-points can also mount additional frequency band jamming pods on some models. If no GB or FBJP are carried, then armaments can be carried on all VENTRAL hard points.

Edited by sketchley

Sorry about my previous post, I already removed the uncited content.

Thanks for confirming the use of the VA-3M by the Macross Galaxy fleet, as well as my question regarding the VA-3 hardpoints and the composition of VB units of the Macross 7 fleet.

Regarding the VA, thanks to your comment I just realized that there's indeed mention of a VA-14, different from the VF-14: I thought VA-14 was a typo and that they were the same mecha all this time :o