I'm looking for some color reference for the VA-3 Invader from Macross Dynamite 7. Anyone have any screen caps or screen shots from the anime? I've got some stuff from VF-X2, but the color scheme looks different than the Dynamite 7 vehicle.

Okay, this is what I came up with for the VF-X2 version of the VA-3 Invader:

***EDIT: See Page 2***

Now, assuming this is correct for the game version, what is different for the Macross Dynamite 7 version?

Edited by Mr March

Okay, this is what I came up with for the VF-X2 version of the VA-3 Invader:

va-3m-battroid.gif

Now, assuming this is correct for the game version, what is different for the Macross Dynamite 7 version?

I'll see if I can check out the color scheme on Friday for you.

Okay, these are not bad; a little dark, but I can still make out most of the details. It gives me some idea of how the colors work. This Dynamite 7 version seems to be much darker and more purple as opposed to the maroon color of the VF-X2 Ravens version. It also has more grey highlights, like around the bicep/forearm areas and the around the thigh/engine intakes. And of course, this is the VA-3C variant I see (doesn't look as good as the VA-3M, IMO). Well, I'll attempt to create a color scheme from these pictures. Even if I don't get the colors right, I'll replicate the scheme itself. Then once I view Dynamite 7 again I can always change the shades of the colors if I find they are off.

Thank you for the pictures AC.

Edited by Mr March

The VF-17 is sorta greenish too.

Yeah, I just noticed that. It's a green VF-17D. That's odd. The green looks very blue and deep, like a cyan. That'll make for a VERY interesting VF-17D variant. This green variant will be easy to do, since I've already got the VF-17D colored.

I've already got the VF-5000 colored. Just finished the Battroid mode two days ago and I'm confident I've correctly interpreted the Dynamite 7 color scheme.

Yeah, I just noticed that. It's a green VF-17D. That's odd. The green looks very blue and deep, like a cyan. That'll make for a VERY interesting VF-17D variant. This green variant will be easy to do, since I've already got the VF-17D colored.

Hmmm...I'd actually say it's bad lighting. Cuz that deep/dark cyan color on the VF-17 appears on the first episode in MD7 and it's probably meant to be black. I would say it's not a "true black" color. I still have black markers which look like dark blue or dark green when you fade it so i won't go so far to say it's a completely different color scheme. Just a different shade of black.

I hated that level, and I hated the VA-3 being forced on me for that level. I wanted to fly the VF-4G again, not that ugly monstrosity that is the VA-3.

I don't mind the VA-3... I think its kinda a cool design actually... and it having some screen time wasn't too bad.

However it "swimming" though an ocean was idiotic... followed by what could have been a decent boss encounter... (by that measure I've suppressed all memories of the VF-0 diving into the ocean as well... oh shxt... I just remembered it).

I'd say all of VFX-2 was forgettable since it was a pretty awful game, but ya know...

Valkyries have always had some sort of amphibious capabilities. The VT-1 in DYRL was quite happy while it was floating in the water while Misa and Hikaru explore the Protoculture city. Even the official stats for the VF-1 state it has an operational underwater depth of 100 meters. The VF-0 was just demonstrating how a Valkyrie can operate in many different environments.

I have to disagree, for me VFX2, minus the underwater level, was pure awesome. Some BS with taking on multiple Ghost X-9s at the end of the game, but still awesome.

I did like the VA-3s dual machine gun capabilities though. Nothing beat the VF-17 with battroid mode gunpod attachment though (like Gamlin).

addition: response to noyhauser: I killed myself with the Nuke once I think... :lol: I was too close to the ship I was trying to nuke.

Edited by Sumdumgai

Hmmm...I'd actually say it's bad lighting. Cuz that deep/dark cyan color on the VF-17 appears on the first episode in MD7 and it's probably meant to be black. I would say it's not a "true black" color. I still have black markers which look like dark blue or dark green when you fade it so i won't go so far to say it's a completely different color scheme. Just a different shade of black.

Hmm, you may be right. I admit it's certainly a strange coloring. I'll take a second look at Dynamite 7 and see how it is animated. It really depends upon the look of the mecha in the shots. At least the fold booster is green like it should be. Regardless, I might have to include the cyan VF-17D anyway since - even if it is an inking error - technically it is canon, mistakes and all. Let's just be thankful that line art doesn't exist for the VF-1A with the ridiculously stupid two dozen missiles mounted on the vertical stabilizers (curses upon AnimeFriend) :):lol:

*ponders creating custom line art for an AnimeFriend "variant" just to piss everyone off*

just kidding B))

Edited by Mr March

I don't know if it matters, but I'm pretty sure the VF-X2 version is the VA-3M, and the other ones are simply C or not listed. What the means in the terms of the actual design, I don't know.

There are differences between the variants, moreso than just the head unit like many of the other Valkyries. I've got all the line art for the VA-3 Invader variants (at least all variants of which I'm aware). The VA-3M is the variant seen in VF-X2, with the underwater stuff. The VA-3C and VA-3C Custom are seen Macross Dynamite 7. And there is also the VA-3 from the Macross Plus TIAS book, which has a slightly different transformation system and the gun pod!

This may just be how the art is appearing on my computer screen (stock, no changes), but the colours are different from the ones published for the VF-X2 VA-3M.

The body is more a faded red (or red-pink), with the eyecatch being a dark grey violet colour.

The green highlights are more akin to a faded or washed out neon green.

The grey sections are a darker grey.

These are the colours of the CG model. (Macross VF-X2 Official Visual Guide Pg 24, & Macross VF-X2 完全公認攻略ファイル 26 & 27.)

"Jet" mode is called "Attacker Mode", with 3 sub-varients; airplane/jet plan form (standard fighter jet style), on-water form (pontoons lowered to allow landing on water), and underwater form (wings folded down with tail reversed).

I agree that the first part (underwater part) of the Pinocchio (mission 07) level is a pain - not because it's forcing the player into the VA-3M, but because it's too long, and requires the player to complete the mission in order. In this regard, it's too close to VF-X, which lengthened game play for the whole game the same way. >.< Otherwise, it's a great game, and the story is actually quite interesting; if one can understand it, that is. ;)

I think the colors are mostly right, but the grey is definitely "off" in my quick and dirty version posted in this thread. You're right that it's much darker.

I didn't know about "Attacker Mode." That's an appropriate name, especially given the role of the VA-3 as a Strike/Attack craft. Thanks.

I use Adobe Photoshop CS (Version 8.0). It is so easy to manage with this program. You just open a PSD file and paste your line art in. Then create some layers and use the multiply feature for the line art layer. All your subsequent color layers can be placed in any order while the line art layer always remains on top. This lets you apply whatever color you want without touching the line art layer itself. Perfection :)

Okay, I went after the grey with a vengeance and darkened it to the color of the screen shots I have. It looks much different than the Dynamite 7 colors and I think it's correct. I changed the primary color of the hull and shadows only ever so slightly with a little more red and a little more violet. Here's the two for comparison:

***EDIT: See Page 2, below this post***

Edited by Mr March

The colours are still off. I'm attaching el quicko keitai photo of the Macross VF-X2 完全公認攻略ファイル 26 & 27. The image (aside from cropping and shrinking) has not been modified. The colours, at least how they are appearing on my screen, are slightly off those in the book - the green is greener, and the reddish-pink is more washed out, or something along those lines. I figure you can use the eyedropper to get the right colours.

The images are how they appear rendered in the game, and without lighting from any particular mission.

LOL :) The colors of the very first quick and dirty version I posted were all sampled from screen shots of the game (with the exception of the grey) :)

It looks like I went too dark with the grey. I guess my my screen shots can be deceiving. I'm going to put the grey about half way between the light and the dark. SHould be just about right then.

It's good to keep in mind that the colors won't be perfect because this is a simple line art interpretation in a limited 256 color gif. The 3D model is probably using several million colors.

A little off topic, but... damn its an ugly mech.

Hehehe. Just wait until you see the other VA-3 variants; they're even worse. :)

But seriously, each Valkyrie has it's good points, even the ones that OVERALL don't look all that great. The VA-3 looks kinda silly in Battroid mode but the transformation really is a lot of fun to marvel at, as is the case with most of Kawamori's amazing designs. The Attacker mode of the VA-3 is also very cool IMO and really looks like a Strike/Attack craft. There's a picture of the VA-3 Attacker mode in the Macross Plus TIAS book that's loaded with bombs and it looks so cool :)

Let's just be thankful that line art doesn't exist for the VF-1A with the ridiculously stupid two dozen missiles mounted on the vertical stabilizers (curses upon AnimeFriend) :):lol:

*ponders creating custom line art for an AnimeFriend "variant" just to piss everyone off*

just kidding B))

Actually IIRC the liner notes for that episode in the Anemeigo DVD set say that variant was hastily desinged by Ichiro Itano. It was realized they had Max destroying a Quel-Qualie with a regular VF-1 while a few episodes earlier Hikaru was barely able to scratch one with a full barrage from his GBP armor. The scene was hastily re-animated by Studio Nue at the last minute which is why it looks kinda like an animefreind mistake. Windjammer/Nanashi/Nanshino had some lineart up of the design at one point but it disapeared after one of his many revisions of macrossmecha.org.