Can Domestic Memory Cards Be Used In Import Consoles?

SpacyAce2012

Not too long ago, I got a new Japanese PS2. I went through the trouble so I could play import Macross games.

However, I'm currently playing AC3: Electrosphere on it. And I'm having trouble saving data.

Do I need imported memory cards too? Or did I just buy a bum PS1 card?

Thanks in advance.

I believe PS* cards are region-neutral.

But I haven't had occasion to test except in emulators, which obviously aren't the same.

Any region variances will only be in the data format, though.

Fat lot of good it does you when Sony won't give you something as basic as a format command, though.

Wait.... AC3 and a bum PS1 card?

Are you trying to save a PS2 game on a PS1 memory card? That won't work. Nor will saving PS1 games on a PS2 card.

Wait.... AC3 and a bum PS1 card?

Are you trying to save a PS2 game on a PS1 memory card? That won't work. Nor will saving PS1 games on a PS2 card.

He's talking about Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, which is a PS1 game.

SpacyAce2012, I think your memory card is full or it's just a bad one. I've also got a Japanese PS2 and AC3 (both US and Japanese versions) and have both save types on a single US PS1 memory card. When loading your AC3 save game are you selecting "Download" or "re-open" from the game menu? It's supposed be "Download."

He's talking about Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, which is a PS1 game.

SpacyAce2012, I think your memory card is full or it's just a bad one. I've also got a Japanese PS2 and AC3 (both US and Japanese versions) and have both save types on a single US PS1 memory card. When loading your AC3 save game are you selecting "Download" or "re-open" from the game menu? It's supposed be "Download."

The problem is that it won't save at all. There was a record of my first attempt of a playthrough. But no actual individual saves were on the files.

Only once did I have the option of "Downloading" or "Re-opening". However, when I went back later to play, the data wasn't there. It was asking me to set up a "new account". But the "record" was on the card, just not the saved data (individual mission files). Nor was there anything in the "blocks" (before you get to the "files"). The were just reading "Empty".

There is something else. Whenever I went an checked the card on the Browser after a round of saving AC3(JP) data, it tells me the card is unformatted. To the best of my knowledge, it's not supposed to do that more than once. Unless the Japanese consoles are different.

I tried the card in my domestic PS2, with AC3(US). It works fine. The saved files showed up.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm not saving correctly. There are a few more steps to go thorough than on the U.S. version (I'm only guessing since I can't read Japanese). Plus, there are what appears to be save points between chapters (once again, I'm only guessing). I did play around with the save function (tried to figure it out by feel), and thought I had it licked. Apparently not, it seems.

The console itself seems to work fine. And the game itself was in near-mint condition, and plays great. This is the only problem I've run into.

There is something else. Whenever I went an checked the card on the Browser after a round of saving AC3(JP) data, it tells me the card is unformatted. To the best of my knowledge, it's not supposed to do that more than once. Unless the Japanese consoles are different.

This is the really weird part. I've never had problems saving games on my Japanese PS2 and all my PS1/PS2 memory cards are US versions. We can safely rule out the console since it saves fine with other games, and it's not a bug in the game since I can save on mine, so my guess is it's the memory card. I'd borrow a friends PS1 mem card and see how that works.

Btw, is your card an official Sony brand card?

This is the really weird part. I've never had problems saving games on my Japanese PS2 and all my PS1/PS2 memory cards are US versions. We can safely rule out the console since it saves fine with other games, and it's not a bug in the game since I can save on mine, so my guess is it's the memory card. I'd borrow a friends PS1 mem card and see how that works.

Btw, is your card an official Sony brand card?

Actually, I haven't tried saving any other games with this console (I just got the thing to get my start in import gaming). Another thing is that it reads data saved from U.S. games on PS2 Memory Cards. And it read the U.S. AC3 data that I saved last night on my domestic system (I'm assuming it's that data, but the caption at the top of the screen was in Japanese, rather than in English like the PS2 Cards. And I have the language setting for the system in English). When I tried to play the JP version again today, if offered the "Download" option because that data was on the card. Of course, it won't download because of the difference in the games and region coding (if that was indeed the U.S. data).

The card is definitely a Sony manufactured card. According to the seller on Amazon.com, it's a new card. Of course, there is no way to confirm this.

It could still be a problem with the card. The real b**tch is that I don't know anyone with a PS1 Card, and it's hard to find them in local stores anymore. I ordered an imported (from Japan) card on E-bay.

However, I'm beginning to have a sick feeling that it may be the console. "Hope for the best, expect the worst" as they say.

Edited by SpacyAce2012

Good news! Your memory card, game, and system are fine. ^_^

Your situation piqued my curiosity so I decided to backup all my AC3 saves (US and JP) off my PS1 card to my PS2 memory card, I then deleted them all off my PS1 card.

Next I fired up my US version of AC3, started a new game and saved.

Next I fired up my JP version of AC3, started a new game. When I tried to save the game it asked me an extra question than it normally would (wish I could read kanji), I don't know what it asked so I just answered yes. I'm not sure what happened next, but it looks like it saved.

Finallly I rebooted my JP PS2 and went to the memory manager, my US AC3 save was there but the JP one was no where to be found.

I'm not sure what that extra question was, but I believe the existing US AC3 save is causing problems with the JP's ability to save. I'd back it up to another memory card and keep two memory cards: one for the US version of AC3 and the other for the JP version of AC3. PS1 memory cards are cheap, you should be able to pick up a used one at gamestop for $5 max. I never had this problem because I originally had all my games spread over 3 cards and consolidated them onto 1 card years ago.

My guess is that it could be the US and JP versions of AC3 being so different--they might overlap in their memory/saves or something and overwrite each other or something--games always scan for "their own" saves and can identify them, and report all other games as "other game/unusable space". Some games are so "compatible" that you can actually us a US save on a JP game, because the ONLY difference is going to be menu language etc--all it saves is level/time/money etc. I don't think there's a single game out there so different between versions as AC3. It may partly recognize the other version or something, and try to overwrite it or read from it and use it as its own. Just a theory.

Or it could be that the US version is so hacked up that the save system is weird, but the flaw only shows up on JP systems or something--a situation they'd never test for bugs.

I'm thinking that was part of the problem after my little test on my domestic system.

In any case, I purchased another Card and formatted it first (I didn't last time, like a dumbass). I'm having no problems now.

I recently located a copy of SDF Macross for the PS2. I'm now confident that I can use my old Memory Cards for that game.

Thanks for the responses, guys. And thank you TheLoneWolf for all your help. You guys are the greatest. B))