Dragon Ball movie rescued from dev hell?

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bringing this old thead back but I just saw the pics from this movie...

Somehow, I think this movie will be worse than the old Dragonball movie. The character actor choices and style look nothing like Dragonball, so I think it's gonna end up being sold on the name alone.

Edited by protostar8

"poor filming"...? They cancel movies because of that? :blink:

Hehe sorry my English is bad, I read it from the Chinese local paper and can't find a right word to translate.

I have just found the website qouted by the paper I saw yesterday, below is the story: (http://www.filmjunk.com/2008/08/21/fox-considering-scrapping-dragonball-movie/)

This week we received word from an anonymous source that there may be some truth to this speculation after all. According to our tipster, the higher-ups at Fox are not too impressed the footage that has been shot thus far, and are seriously debating shutting the whole thing down. Now I have no idea if this is a real possibility or if the studio is just putting pressure on director James Wong to deliver, but the movie supposedly has a budget of over $100 million and I can understand them wanting to cut some losses while they still can. The thing is, if this is all true, it only makes me that much more interested to see the movie. If it it’s strange enough to scare the suits, it’s gotta be good, right? Are you looking forward to Dragonball?

Edit: Another update on the website (http://www.filmjunk.com/2008/08/26/report-dragonball-movie-alive-and-well/)

Good news for all you insane Dragonball fans out there. It looks like there is still hope for the live action movie after all. Contrary to our own report from last week about the possible cancellation of the project, the official Dragonball: The Movie blog says 20th Century Fox has confirmed that the movie is still on track for an April 2009 release. On top of that, someone at Superheroflix has a source close to the movie who says the movie is looking quite good and definitely not in danger of being shut down:

“Our studio contact, who we aren’t allowed to name at the moment, worked on the production, and has seen the completed movie. Everyone involved seems to think they have a hit on their hands, and he even went on to say that it was ‘pretty darn awesome. There is certainly talk about a sequel. I have no doubt that it will happen. I’m sure that it will be a trilogy.’”

All I can say is that I am glad to hear it, because I want to see this movie! I should say, however, that I still believe our own source to be valid and trustworthy. Although we throw up some funny rumours from time to time for the sake of entertainment, I wouldn’t have broken this particular story if I didn’t think there was at least some truth to it. The situation may very well have changed now, but it’s not crazy to think that there were (and still are) concerns over the look and feel of this movie. Whether or not they would actually consider dropping the entire film is another matter entirely. Either way I am eagerly anticipating the first trailer or hint of footage from the flick.

Edited by Repiv_Onex

Couple of weeks ago I saw "coming soon" posters in the cinema for this movie, right next to the Iron Man ones (which STILL isn't out here until the end of next month, argh!!).... Isn't it too late to cancel no matter what happens?

No because they can just pull a movie whenever. I remember seeing previews for a horror film called Trick - Or-Treat and said coming Holloween 2007, and yet that movie has yet to even see the light of day. It's isn't even on DVD. Any thing can happen to a film, there are a few completed films that can't get distribution so they are locked away somewhere. If you look into it there are a ton of movies that never got finished or did get finished and never released.

No because they can just pull a movie whenever. I remember seeing previews for a horror film called Trick - Or-Treat and said coming Holloween 2007, and yet that movie has yet to even see the light of day. It's isn't even on DVD. Any thing can happen to a film, there are a few completed films that can't get distribution so they are locked away somewhere. If you look into it there are a ton of movies that never got finished or did get finished and never released.

Very true. But the movies that get pulled are rarely this high-profile...usually those make it out some way or other.

Couple of weeks ago I saw "coming soon" posters in the cinema for this movie, right next to the Iron Man ones (which STILL isn't out here until the end of next month, argh!!).... Isn't it too late to cancel no matter what happens?

No... there were teaser posters for the 90s Fantastic Four movie, which the producers stated they had no intention of releasing (at least that's what I heard).

There's some new pics floating around the 'net (which I'm not even going to bother finding the links to) which look, without exception, absolutely boring. If you're going to adapt Toriyama, why not at least try to bring some of his zany world to the screen. I'm not saying a DB movie needs to feature a talking dog wearing a 3-piece suit, but at least do something make it stand out from all the other garbage out there.

Well Goku is a bit of a goof in the series, so there is room for this 1(?) movie actor to stuf around in.

Would have liked a green Piccolo (obviously he's the main villian in this period)... this actor might still pull it off. Roshi better be a womanizer and perverted!

Hold hope guys!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Well Goku is a bit of a goof in the series, so there is room for this 1(?) movie actor to stuf around in.

Would have liked a green Piccolo (obviously he's the main villian in this period)... this actor might still pull it off. Roshi better be a womanizer and perverted!

Hold hope guys!

Unfortunately, HOPING that this movie will be good will do absolutely nothing to ensure that it actually WILL be good...

I'd much rather look at it disdainfully, and then be pleasantly surprised if it turns out okay. ^_^

For anyone who hasn't seen the white piccolo (yes, he's white, not green), here is the link.

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/mt/mt-search.cg...s&blog_id=1

I think all these hollywood director's should be dragged out into a street and beaten b/c some artistic visions need to stay true to the original artists. I mean this looks like the biggest piece of poo since the first dragonball movie. I take that back, the first one will probably be better as it was funny as heck to watch...