VF-1s Vs Battlepod book ends

rdenham

Well its official hell has frozen over; Toynami, has actually announced plans for an amazing looking Macross product; the only problem is you are going to have to pay through the nose to get your hands on it. Courtesy of twin moons anime I just found out the Toynami is going to be selling cold-cast porcelain sculptures of Roy and a Zentraedi battlepod as bookends.

Although Toynami has repeatedly let down both Robotech and Macross fans alike I think this time they have come up with something really good.

The bookends are clearly meant for the Robotech MPC's display boxes, however they would be perfect for anyone who has a collection of Macross art books.

Edited by rdenham

Yeah, I saw those the other day while ordering some of those acrylic stands Sithlord found. Have you seen the price, though?

Link

Cold cast porcelain or not, that's a too rich for my blood. It's neat looking, just not enough for me to spend that much considering what you get - I'd much rather pickup another 1/48 at that price. Like all things Toynami, I'm guessing you'll see them on Ebay going for 1/3 MSRP before long, anyway.

maybe if the pod was shooting up roy... :rolleyes:

I can't help but think it would be cheaper to make my own set using a super posable [or even a yammie] and a matchbox pod mounted on slate or a brick though. How long till we see custom book-ends???

So, the VF-1S was startled by a brick wall, and is trying to shoot it?

The Pod broke one of it's cannons, and then the c-4 plastic explosive inside of it went off?

Maybe when viewed from an angle there's a notch in the wall.

You know, like it was knocked down and isn't even across the top.

I also think it's a bit pricey.....who in their right mind would spend over $100 for bookends?

I hope they're not planning to release a Max and Millia (in their TV counterparts) set. :(

I also think it's a bit pricey.....who in their right mind would spend over $100 for bookends?

I've had people look at me like I've grown a 3rd eye when I mention the price on a Yamato valkyrie. "A hundred dollars? For a toy? Riiiight..."

The whole point of these things is that they AREN'T targetting people in their right mind.

You just happen to let judgement kick in sooner on Toynami bookends than Yamato toys.

I can't help but think it would be cheaper to make my own set using a super posable [or even a yammie] and a matchbox pod mounted on slate or a brick though. How long till we see custom book-ends???

I was thinking the exact same thing. ;)

It's kind of cool. The only problem is the price. They should have made these things out of a strong plastic and charged like $30.00. At over hundrend, I doubt a lot of people will be picking them up. Why do they have to be porcelain? Usually porcelain is good for making fine vases and bowls. From the pictures, the porcelain doesn't even make the thing look all that much better. Maybe the picture doesn't do it justice? <_

JB0 Posted on Oct 22 2003, 12:05 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Kamui 777 @ Oct 21 2003, 09:22 PM)

Just out of curiousity, how is the VF-1S in the air? Is there a side-view pic around? 

Looks a lot like it's jumping back to me. 

:huh:

Uhm, ok.

Well what CoryHolmes said.

I'm not impressed by the way the bookends look as they lack detail. If you're supposed to depict a Veritech shooting down a Battle Pod:

1. There should be simulated gunfire and smoke on the barrel of the gun pod.

2. The hole on the Battle Pod should have inner detail of the cockpit and the Zentraedi pilot getting killed by the Veritech gunfire. Whether it's blood or some body parts getting blown off, there should be some detail that depicts an actual battle.

If the bookends do not have these details, then they're not worth buying at all.

• 2 months later...

I just saw these at RVD's 5-Star Comics earlier tonight. Looks like someone at Toynami actually listened to half of my suggestions. The big hole on the left side of the Zentraedi Battle Pod has traces of blood and possibly the pilot's scalp.

The Veritech, on the other hand, lacks detail. UN Spacy decals are nowhere to be found on the legs or the gun pod. No smoke or simulated gunfire can be found on the gun pod, either. Overall, don't waste your money on these.