LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

Which is why a transforming SDF-1 Macross is likely to be the first thing axed for the movie. I have my doubts the script will even get the characters off-world. I can just see Space War I (another name ripe for "modification") taking place entirely on Earth.

I can tell you one thing that will be changed without doubt: there's no way Britai's Nupetiet-Vergnitzs Fleet Command Battleship ever makes it to the screen. No Hollywood studio is going to make a film with a giant phallus as the enemy space craft. Puritans in the US will see to it that visual never makes it to the big screen. :lol:

(Edited to remove really bad sex joke)

Edited by The Shade

Wow, I don't really know what to say. My first impulse was to call post-664-1189174003.gif on the original post; however this "thing" is legit... who woudda thunk it??? Unlike many here I have no deep seated antagonism towards Robotech (Star Blazers introduced me to Anime, but Robotech introduced me to the "real" Giant Robot genre), and I actually prefer Robotech's opening and ending credits to the Japanese originals; that being said, I readily agree that the dialogue, censoring, and editing/shoe-horning done by HG are mediocre at best when compared to the real thing.

This film, it it ever gets made and distributed, has an outside chance of turning into a -Top Gun meets Independence Day- feast for the senses, but will more than likely turn out into a -Wing Commander / Robot Jox train wreck that will put an end to Hollywood's, post Transformers, interest in this genre. :wacko:

ok, I made these back in February after I made my cast wishlist for Metal Gear. Looking at it now, I'd Swap in Eva Green instead of Millla Jovovich. And I'd swap out Gwyneth, but i'm not sure with who yet.

if this movie does get made, i'm really interested who ends up being cast versus what I came up with.

also, if they are planning on a trilogy, i'd like to see them split the Macross saga into the 1st and 2nd movie, it's too big to try and cram into 2.5 hours. Just skip Southern Cross completely IMO.

post-515-1189175502_thumb.jpgpost-515-1189175516_thumb.jpg

post-515-1189175533_thumb.jpgpost-515-1189175551_thumb.jpg

post-515-1189175877_thumb.jpg

Edited by chowyunskinny

Like anything else at this stage of development, this has every chance to be good and even more chances to be godawful.

Fact is, I could see the writing on the wall after the Transformers opening weekend numbers. I think this will actually make it into production, it being Warner Bros property. All one can really do is hope that someone in the production is smart enough to tap Kawamori to handle the mecha design. If they just turn it over to some Hollywood effects team, you'll end up with generic transforming planes with somewhat familiar paint schemes.

If it turns out to be horrendous... who cares? It's Robotech. Seriously, just watch the old "Robotech Movie"... how much more could this suck?

Real Macross will still be there on my DVD shelf and it'll always rock.

If it turns out to be horrendous... who cares? It's Robotech. Seriously, just watch the old "Robotech Movie"... how much more could this suck?

Real Macross will still be there on my DVD shelf and it'll always rock.

This is true, but there is a negative side to it for Macross fans. Should the Robotech movie be gawd awful, there will NEVER be any live action Macross adaptation. Every studio will instantly point to the money losing venture that was the Robotech film and it'll be buried for all time :(

Capturing an anime into live action just doesn't seem to hit the same way, nor do the characters ever fit right. I've always been against a live action movie, and always thought that money should be used to produce more anime. However, I'm interested in seeing how this pans out. A small fanbase of a series that isn't a household name like Transformers, big money into the production. Last I heard, HG met with Hollywood producers about a year ago maybe to talk about the possibilities of a live action, so it's been in the air for sometime. They know that they won't have a highly successful show without the Macross name on it. It's obvious in the toys that sell, and the number of DVDs one series sells over the others. I hope it does well, but my gut instincts tell me that it may bomb at the box office. Especially if it's done half-assed. Just WB having the rights makes it somewhat better, and the fact that Tommy, Steve, or Kevin's names haven't been mentioned yet in this project leave more promise to it. they really need to leave this to the professionals to do this right.

A live action anime can be a double edged sword for HG. It can swing and do wonders for them, or come back, and make the whole franchise worthless.

Excellent points both. Heh, it would take great effort to suck more than the original Robotech: the movie, and yes, Macross still remains unblemished for those of us who love it.

However Mr. March gives us a reason, oddly enough, to root for Robotech in this one. For better or for worse what little knowledge most people have of Macross in the U.S. is through Robotech (except for those lucky enough to have been exposed to the original anime) - and while I probably shouldn't give a rats behind what most people think, their opinion (and sometimes ignorance) has effected what we see here and does effect the possibilities we have in the future (just look at the Wizards toy rating post).

Personally, I'd like to see Macross get more attention in the U.S. and maybe (I'm dreaming I know) give the creators reason to look to us as an audience instead of a nice side note. If this is enough of a restart for some of the legal issues to slip away, and the attention encourages enough people to actually look into the anime that inspired this . . . . well, again - it's a long shot but it seems like our best hope in that regard.

At least Tobey seems sincere, so I don't anticipate a great deal of childhood rape (at least any more than simply watching the series as an adult has already done).

However Mr. March gives us a reason, oddly enough, to root for Robotech in this one. For better or for worse what little knowledge most people have of Macross in the U.S. is through Robotech (except for those lucky enough to have been exposed to the original anime) - and while I probably shouldn't give a rats behind what most people think, their opinion (and sometimes ignorance) has effected what we see here and does effect the possibilities we have in the future (just look at the Wizards toy rating post).

Well spoken. A vivid and tragically sickening lesson in the way our real world works. Weep for the future :)

So now it's a race between this and the supposed Voltron movie to see who'll suck the most. Whoever wins, we lose.

Quoted for truth. It's really sad that the americanized, butchered versions get glorified. At least the report had the decency to mention that it's based off a massive re-edit of someone else's work. Live action Macross is one thing, live action butchered version of Macross, that's something else. Forget about a LA Macross movie if this is made, Mr. March. Whether it sucks or not, most non-fans opinion is that the two are similar enough that it's almost the same to them.

Blain23 makes some valid points on it being good or bad. It all depends in how it's handled. I can see this working a lot more than the proposed Eva LA. That one would have to be dumbed down so much that it would become just about robots. Unlike it, since this one has WB backing, and Transformers did well, it probably will be made (if it succeeds it could pave the way ADV has been looking for). It's going to suck that from minute one they won't have the Protoculture concept correct. It'd be great if they used the Macross (aka the correct) version. Yeah, it was important to link the series together, but since they're not having to relay on existing material, perhaps come up with other concepts rather than a magic fuel source mysteriously named "First/Early Civilization". :lol: Heck, use them both, and just call the fuel something else.

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting Kawamori involved. I'm sure he and the production company of this film (series), couldn't care less about one another. This is an american product, through and through. SK's got the new series to worry about anyway, and has washed his hands of the old. So I say the Legoiss designs have a better chance than Valkyrie designs being in there. Though they'll probably be redesigned from scratch and probably based off Raptors like Starscream.

I'd even say the possibility does exist that they never leave earth. They may ditch the SDF-1 altogether and just keep the Valkyries. Though it'd be lame if they did. I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched or even toned down the culture shock bit (could you imagine Minmay as a modern popstar...[or they go for a "hip" rocker]). Like it's been said, somethings just work better in animation. Though with Transformers setting the precedent that people will see giant robot films (even my sister liked it, and she refused to watch mecha), all bets are off. Every studio will probably try to get on the Giant Robot fad (which hopefully might not come).Still, stuff is made in animation for a reason.

I can't really place my thoughts on this outside of my initial statement upon reading the title (a disbelieving [and not in a good way]OH...MY...GOD!), and the sick feeling that once again something that shouldn't even exist in the first place in this day and age gets raised to new heights once again. Robotech is a product of the time when no one respected foreign licenses. A shining example of just how messed up mainstream releases of anime in the 80s were. It's an example of what not to do, not something that should be glorified through sequels and remakes because of nostalgia and greed.

I've got a bad feeling about this. Some things work better in animation, and should be left that way. I'm not a big fan of animation to live in general.Still, I'd say that as long as it's as decent as Transformers (which was entertaining if somewhat simple in plot), but with a lot more characterization, it might be good. It just won't look anything like Macross. If it's anything like Shadow Chronicles.... Man HG knows how to keep their soul anime meal ticket alive and further prove Hollywood's lack of original ideas these days "What else can we remake? Let's not take risks on something not done before people"...

ok, I made these back in February after I made my cast wishlist for Metal Gear. Looking at it now, I'd Swap in Eva Green instead of Millla Jovovich. And I'd swap out Gwyneth, but i'm not sure with who yet.

if this movie does get made, i'm really interested who ends up being cast versus what I came up with.

also, if they are planning on a trilogy, i'd like to see them split the Macross saga into the 1st and 2nd movie, it's too big to try and cram into 2.5 hours. Just skip Southern Cross completely IMO.

Man that is some great casting! You know the real movie wont have a cast that expensive.

The Brittney Spears pic was hilarious.

...I wouldn't hold your breath on getting Kawamori involved. ... (too long to quote)

Agreed. This is (say it with me) ROBOTECH not Macross. I expect zero/nadda/00/null/ゼロ involvement from the original Japanese creators. Tatsunoko, would be the only ones involved and that would only be a licensing issue.

Though they'll probably be redesigned from scratch and probably based off Raptors like Starscream.

Agreed. If they use the VF-1, I expect it to be Raptor-ized. They made Optimus a Peterbilt, Bumblebee a Camero, Megatron a alien jet...I would almost expect them to make the VF-1 look like a modern fighter. I also expect the Zentradi mecha to look much different. The core idea of a Regult (a pod with 2 chicken legs) will be there, but that's about it.

Excellent points both. Heh, it would take great effort to suck more than the original Robotech: the movie, and yes, Macross still remains unblemished for those of us who love it.

Personally, I'd like to see Macross get more attention in the U.S. and maybe (I'm dreaming I know) give the creators reason to look to us as an audience instead of a nice side note. If this is enough of a restart for some of the legal issues to slip away, and the attention encourages enough people to actually look into the anime that inspired this . . . . well, again - it's a long shot but it seems like our best hope in that regard.

At least Tobey seems sincere, so I don't anticipate a great deal of childhood rape (at least any more than simply watching the series as an adult has already done).

You sniped me. Well said. Though depending on how many reports mention Robotechs origins, I see more people watching the edit, not the original.

This is true, but there is a negative side to it for Macross fans. Should the Robotech movie be gawd awful, there will NEVER be any live action Macross adaptation. Every studio will instantly point to the money losing venture that was the Robotech film and it'll be buried for all time :(

Here's a question...does Macross NEED a live action adaptation? It's done well enough in the last 25 years as an anime, as have virtually every anime franchise that hasn't jumped to live action. Given that a Macross live action movie would be super big budget, I doubt we'd see it coming from a Japanese studio. Also, if the Robotech movie ends up using the Macross saga for its story, what would be the point of doing Macross? While the die hards could point out all the differences between Macross and Robotech, to the average viewer, you'd have two generally similar story about humans using transforming jets to fight aliens. And I could totally see this happening....assuming an English Macross live action movie is made, there'd probably be plenty of idiots screaming "WTF?? This Macross stuff is a ripoff of Robotech!!!!"

Ya know, as Macross rather than RT fans, I think we are uniquely situated to actually enjoy this film. We're already used to the idea that Macross has been bastardized and mangled. And many of us are already "over it" and no longer get worked up about it. So, while your average RT fanatic will be bitching and moaning about every little plot digression or alteration to their beloved "canon" (ironic considering the nature of that hacked-together franchise), we'll be just enjoying seeing live-action mecha mayhem. . . and smiling a bit at the apoplectic RT fans bulging forehead veins.

Here's a question...does Macross NEED a live action adaptation? It's done well enough in the last 25 years as an anime, as have virtually every anime franchise that hasn't jumped to live action. Given that a Macross live action movie would be super big budget, I doubt we'd see it coming from a Japanese studio. Also, if the Robotech movie ends up using the Macross saga for its story, what would be the point of doing Macross? While the die hards could point out all the differences between Macross and Robotech, to the average viewer, you'd have two generally similar story about humans using transforming jets to fight aliens. And I could totally see this happening....assuming an English Macross live action movie is made, there'd probably be plenty of idiots screaming "WTF?? This Macross stuff is a ripoff of Robotech!!!!"

Well quite honestly, Macross Plus is the Macross I had in mind if a live action show were ever to be made of the Macross franchise from a major Hollywood studio. It already has many appealing western themes and is far different from all the other Macross productions in both setting and scope. Even with a successful Robotech film, Macross Plus would be the IDEAL candidate for a live action Macross adaptation.

Regardless, you are correct that Robotech will once again screw Macross. Whether the live action Robotech film is good or bad, the realization of this live action film is the death knell for any potential Super Dimension Fortress Macross live action film adaptation. It'll be written off as too similar in either scenario, as you say.

the realization of this live action film is the death knell for any potential Super Dimension Fortress Macross live action film adaptation.

And this is a bad thing? Let RT suffer the humiliating failure and leave Macross unscathed. :)

Plus, the RT movie will probably make its way to Japan via WB's muscle (they might even take pains to leave out things that would make it too 'un-Macross-like' to Japanese audiences), and it may touch off a Macross renaissance over there, leading to more goodies for us over here.

Ya know, as Macross rather than RT fans, I think we are uniquely situated to actually enjoy this film. We're already used to the idea that Macross has been bastardized and mangled. And many of us are already "over it" and no longer get worked up about it. So, while your average RT fanatic will be battying and moaning about every little plot digression or alteration to their beloved "canon" (ironic considering the nature of that hacked-together franchise), we'll be just enjoying seeing live-action mecha mayhem. . . and smiling a bit at the apoplectic RT fans bulging forehead veins.

Hahaha, this is so true. I think most of us have pretty much accepted our lot as a niche fandom and we've actually flourished because of it. And like ChrisG has written, the Macross franchise continues to find success and we continue to enjoy all kinds of wonderful Macross products in spite of all the ills inflicted upon us by HG and Robotech. We are in a unique position to just enjoy this upcoming film for what it is. However, I seriously doubt any enjoyment will be had, aside from fan serivce via big budget transforming mecha :)

Here's a question...does Macross NEED a live action adaptation?

No, nothing does. I was always of the belief of "They went with animation in the first place of a reason". Basically you're asking if remakes have a point. Usually it depends on what they do with it, and whether you're in the "too similar" or the "not similar enough" camp. Either way though, a remake is still better than a re-edit. What we have hear and with Voltron is a remake of a re-edit in a format neither was ever intended to be in. The irony being even more so when you remember that Robotech was edited together in the first place for runtime reasons which don't apply now.

Would a live DYRL work? Especially without seeing the original series that filled in a lot of the original film? Not all remakes are bad. It all depends on where they go with it. DYRL was a good blend of the two positions I pointed out. The unique case here is that this is a remake of a reversioning. So you can think of it as bastardized twice removed. ^_^

Edit: Sniped again. Good point Hurin. I'm both peeved and glad the wrong versions being made as I don't really like the concept of animation to live, especally Japanese to american, remakes. Talk about messing with someone elses idea.

I side with Necron right now. I'm exhusted. Ill post more when I can think straight, so take me with a grain of salt guys.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Agreed. This is (say it with me) ROBOTECH not Macross. I expect zero/nadda/00/null/ゼロ involvement from the original Japanese creators. Tatsunoko, would be the only ones involved and that would only be a licensing issue.

Agreed. There is definitely some animosity between Big West and Harmony Gold. If any of the original Japanese creators are crazy enough to work on this alleged Robotech movie I don't think Big West will ever let them near the Macross franchise again. :blink:

Forget about a LA Macross movie if this is made, Mr. March. Whether it sucks or not, most non-fans opinion is that the two are similar enough that it's almost the same to them.

Ooops, sorry about missing your post Mercurial. I responded to ChrisG on this point, even though you posted first. Damn, this thread is moving fast! :)

Edited by Mr March

Ya know, as Macross rather than RT fans, I think we are uniquely situated to actually enjoy this film. We're already used to the idea that Macross has been bastardized and mangled. And many of us are already "over it" and no longer get worked up about it. So, while your average RT fanatic will be battying and moaning about every little plot digression or alteration to their beloved "canon" (ironic considering the nature of that hacked-together franchise), we'll be just enjoying seeing live-action mecha mayhem. . . and smiling a bit at the apoplectic RT fans bulging forehead veins.

Well put. That's how I approached the Shadow Chronicles and was able to enjoy it because of that.

And this is a bad thing? Let RT suffer the humiliating failure and leave Macross unscathed. :)

Plus, the RT movie will probably make its way to Japan via WB's muscle (they might even take pains to leave out things that would make it too 'un-Macross-like' to Japanese audiences), and it may touch off a Macross renaissance over there, leading to more goodies for us over here.

Hmm, maybe. But Macross is much more likely to attract filmmakers with more serious intentions than Robotech ever would. As for the ancillary benefits in Japan for a successful Robotech film, I have my doubts almost as much as it's success here. But I suppose anything is possible.

Edited by Mr March

Ooops, sorry about missing your post Mercurial. I responded to ChrisG on this point, even though you posted first. Damn, this thread is moving fast! :)

No worries, a new page appeared while editing my last post. I'm sure the thread wll be huge when I get up. It's a passionate topic.

I'm sure the Robotechies are having a field day (too tired to remember my log-in info there).

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I missed the Britney Spears as Dolza/Bodolza pic. Awesome! :lol: All those other choices are very good, though Sabastian Back might be getting a little too old to play Lancer/Yellow? ;)

Considering how bad the Gundam live action turned out to be... <_< I'm sure a Robotech live action will use the Macross Saga since most people would remember that part of RT.

If they create a new franchise out of this (say 2 or 3 movies), it will follow the current Hollywood franchise formula. First movie is the origin movie with the hero "getting his wings". The 2nd movie follows the trials of the hero etc.