LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

This thread is going to be fun 33.gif

I know HG would get ass raped if they did any valks (right?), but can they do the Macross story? It's pretty similar to SDF M

*edit*

No mention of Minmay in the plot sumary? Even Robotech had that as an important part of the story.

Edited by Twoducks

wow, tobey maguire as rick hunter? yeah, I can see that. That's a pretty good fit. If this is true, I'm pretty darn happy/excited, robotech or not.

Do we have any other sites confirming this? I don't see anything on my usual go to sites like darkhorizons or cinematical.

right on, thanks for the links.

Honestly, i can't wait. Would I prefer Macross to Robotech? Sure, of course I would. But honestly another big sci-fi franchise to get a major push can only mean good things. And frankly, I'm a fan of tobey and if he's going to ditch the webs for a valkyrie, oops, veritech, so much the better.

LOOKING AT TRANSFORMERS... "THE LIVE ACTION MOVIE"

AND THIS IS ONE BIG QUESTION I HAD...HOW MUCH OF AN 'UPGRADE" WILL IT ALL HAVE? ON DESIGNS...TO MAKE IT MORE.. TODAYS TIME ACCEPTABLE.

TRANSFORMERS...CARS WERE UPGRADED AND TRANSFORMATION. STORY FOLLOWED THE SAM EBASIC RULE BUT DIFFERENT AT THE SAME TIME.

IT HAD TO APPEAL ACROSS THE BOARD. NOT JUST TRANSFORMERS FANS. THEY DID HAVE TO MAKE THEIR MONEY AND THEN SOME BACK.

wow.. first though was "it will be trapped forever in Development Hell" second thought was once I got past my initial rancor, the CG possibilities in this day and age could make for some awesome scenes. I will have more hope for it if HG has no creative part in its development.

I'm worried and excited at the possibilities at the same time.

I want the dogfights to be like that of the scenes in transformers where starscream transforms from robot to plane and back again while flying in the air shooting down other planes.

But I get this feeling in my gut that something might go horribly wrong. Some of the things that happen in macross, like rick/hikaru opening the canopy of his plane to rescue minmay from falling is too crazy for a realistic movie. It belongs in anime.

But given that TF got away with a lot of strange stuff (sliding on yo ass to shoot a robot in the nuts to kill it with a tiny machine gun) I think it might not turn out so bad.

Everyone here hates robotech. If this movie were to take off, can you imagine what would happen when the toys come out and little kids break their toynami's just by opening the box and this leads to the destruction of harmony gold? That would be awesome. No more threats from HG to stop people buying yamato valks. :D (I kid I kid. I actually think the 1/100 macross vf-1 by toynami aren't so bad actually)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I want at least Itano in this. His choreography is excellent. And the designs better be good. It's a shame that Kawamori's plans for a movie were shelved in 1996. And I wonder what they're gonna do for music?

I wonder how the hell the ride armor is going to look in a movie as when it transforms there are bits that float in the air that disconnect themselves.

These kinds of things are on the same concern level as "how are they going to solve the mass shifting problem of the transformers cartoon when megatron grows and shrinks from giant robot to tiny little gun?"

I predict some changes will have to be made to designs for audiences to take it seriously whether a fan is going to like the change or not.

Maybe they could get SK to redesign the VF-1 for the live action movie? Upgrade the VF-1 so it looks different and won't clash anymore with macross Valkyries? Then HG can make that design the official Veritech design and scrap the older one, making the live action one the official canon "veritech" from the first robotech war?

I think the word "robotech" sounds cheesy for a movie to be honest, just like "robocop". But it's that very cheese that might attract the nostalgiac fans, in the same way some of the cheesy stuff from G1 (the anime magic that goes into growing and shrinking robots) is missed by fans of the original. (as well as certain styles unique to the original like simplistic blocky bodies)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

If I were a Robotech fan I'd be very, VERY worried that this film is going to be treated like junk by a Hollywood production company. The Robotech/Macross property is ripe for a dose of hardcore cheese and an Itano Circus of plot/character/setting "adjustments." If the Zentradi actually remain giant-sized in the final script, if music remains part of the central plot and if the Valkyries aren't redesigned to look like utter trash, it'll be a bloody miracle.

wow.. first though was "it will be trapped forever in Development Hell"...

You mean "it will be trapped forever in Legal Hell" if Harmony Gold wants to use any of the mecha from the Macross saga. I've always been of the opinion that HG owns the merchandising rights to the mecha (ie: video games, comics, posters, toys) but they don't own the film rights to the mecha, meaning they can't include them in any new tv or movie productions. They get a bye on character rights since they'll be using real people instead of anime characters.

If Harmony Gold is serious about this, they'll have to redesign all the mecha designs from Macross so that they're indistinguishable from the line art (hello bayformers!) or they'll just substitute the Macross mecha with Mospeada mecha since their Mospeada rights are irrefutable.

Maybe we should merge this thread with the HG legal thread?

I can just see the theme song for the Tobey Maguire Robotech movie...

Rick Hunter, Rick Hunter, doing the best a Rick Hunter can... :D

Guess we'll see what happens with the Macross related designs since they are owned by Studio Nue/Big West and they haven't been exactly playing ball with Harmony Gold/Tatsunoko as of late.

If this plane gets out of the hangar I'll be shocked. Lots of projects get greenlit for development... only a handful ever make it past that stage. Anyone remember all the press releases and stories in fan magazines about the WB and the Watchmen movie development back in the mid nineties that had Joel Silver to helm it with his pick of Arnold Schwarzenegger for Dr. Manhattan? That got really far.

Well, at least it's not Uwe Boll.

Although McGuire productions? My hope is that he's enough of a fan to at least TRY to get something true to the better elements of Robotech (as much as I would rather see Macross, there is still a little part of me that thinks with a decent writer Robotech actually has potential as a space opera - of course that's probably far too much to ask)

Of course there is only so much it can resemble the original - good lord, can you picture Tobey with a thirty pound mass of plaster Hikaru hair? Lisa with cast iron cinnamon hair buns? And if they do Zentraedi I'm hoping they have at least a half decent explanation of why they look like us - people are less likely to buy fully humanoid aliens now that it's really not necessary to do the StarTrek thing. I can take a little cheese in the dialog (I'm expecting it) I'm just hoping the whole conceit doesn't come of as so ridiculous that it would be difficult to watch without a red face.

Ironically, when I was a kid I would have prayed for something like this- now I'm just hoping for gouda as opposed to rancid, chunky, smelly cheese.

Still, theoretically, they could have some cool CG if the pockets are deep enough. I hope someone at ILM owes Tobey a favor, I would love to see CG valkyries if they are done well and at the very least an honest homage to the original.

My fingers are crossed for gouda.

Well, I did a little research on the writer they tapped and it gives me some little glimmer of hope.

Apparently he has some acclaim as having written the best un-produced script in Hollywood right now (The Brigands of Rattleborge) which is apparently an adaptation of a Vertigo title. I'm not sure who makes this kind of decision (if it's studio execs I might be frightened) but at least his selection makes me think that McGwire entertainment really wants this to be a well written script.

Of course those of you who know more about Hollywood and such things as this little black list of the best scripts will undoubtedly enlighten us - do we have reason for hope or is this a silly accolade?

Which is why a transforming SDF-1 Macross is likely to be the first thing axed for the movie. I have my doubts the script will even get the characters off-world. I can just see Space War I (another name ripe for "modification") taking place entirely on Earth.

I can tell you one thing that will be changed without doubt: there's no way Britai's Nupetiet-Vergnitzs Fleet Command Battleship ever makes it to the screen. No Hollywood studio is going to make a film with a giant phallus as the enemy space craft. Puritans in the US will see to it that visual never makes it to the big screen. :lol: