Warhammer 40k

briscojr84

37 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

There is truth to this regarding cross pollination with the art. For example, the face of Guilliman. The miniature's face looks like this:

But the figure's face looks like this:

Which is more in line with illustrations and the 10th edition trailer

If it were simply a scaled up version of the mini, it wouldn't look like that. So it seems there is at least some leeway for interpretation as the miniature simply scaled up would not look very good and they had to use other art references to make the figure look good. Same with the Lion. The mini's face wasn't as bad, but you can clearly see that they used illustrations like from the book cover for The Lion: Son of the Forest as their reference for the figure's face sculpt.

Yeah, there's something similar going on with Joytoy's new Horus Lupercal sculpt.

Joytoy's Horus Lupercal isn't based on the main Horus Lupercal miniature from the tabletop game.  It's based on the "Horus Ascended" design from the 2022 cinematic trailer, a slightly modified version of the more overtly evil-looking Horus Lupercal design that's been used by the novel series since 2011 but wasn't represented in the tabletop game until just last year when Horus got a second miniature to represent him as the Chosen of Chaos Undivided during the Siege of Terra based on the trailer design.

It's a great update to the design, so I'm glad they went with it over the actual Horus Lupercal miniature.

It definitely makes me curious to see what they'll do with the Emperor's fabulous ****ing Hawk-Boy Sanguinius and Magnus the Red.

28 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, there's something similar going on with Joytoy's new Horus Lupercal sculpt.

Joytoy's Horus Lupercal isn't based on the main Horus Lupercal miniature from the tabletop game.  It's based on the "Horus Ascended" design from the 2022 cinematic trailer, a slightly modified version of the more overtly evil-looking Horus Lupercal design that's been used by the novel series since 2011 but wasn't represented in the tabletop game until just last year when Horus got a second miniature to represent him as the Chosen of Chaos Undivided during the Siege of Terra based on the trailer design.

It's a great update to the design, so I'm glad they went with it over the actual Horus Lupercal miniature.

It definitely makes me curious to see what they'll do with the Emperor's fabulous ****ing Hawk-Boy Sanguinius and Magnus the Red.

Yeah, it's definitely based on that Horus Ascended mini rather than the "Horus the Warmaster" mini, but the face sculpt on the figure is amazing and much improved over the ascended mini. I'm rather glad they went with the newer ascended mini and improved upon it in the transition to a larger figure.

99863002337_HorusAscended2.jpg?fm=webp&w

2mp9zoesj2pc1.webp.338ba1a3d72101e4ab7d0af396a65214.webp

4 hours ago, levzloi said:

91715b33ba.jpg.bef5352b493056f9e6ba4ef9815e4e64.jpg

Somehow I missed the release of these boys, exactly what I've been waiting for.  DEATHWING!

https://joytoy.com/products/dark-angels-deathwing-action-figure?VariantsId=10044

I don’t know, I would have preferred the new Terminator and Deathwing Knights GW released recently than those old sculpts.

Edited by Scyla

On 4/2/2024 at 3:04 AM, Scyla said:

I don’t know, I would have preferred the new Terminator and Deathwing Knights GW released recently than those old sculpts.

Pretty sure they're coming eventually. I do want those inner circle ones with the new helmets. 

In other news, they announced a few days ago the 10th edition Leviathan box set terminators including UM 1st Captain Agemman, the librarian terminator, and some terminators including the sgt with the teleport homer. The helmet sculpts have been fixed so they're not so small looking and more detail have been added to the legs. They are also a little bigger than the Deathwing termies.

new-joytoy-warhammer-40k-ultramarines-an

more-pics-for-the-new-ultra-v0-z017m8guz

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Got my IF despoiler squad and a breacher with the graviton gun. They looked pretty good already, but I decided to do a bit more with them. Joytoy said it wasn't feasible to have their workers paint up all the studs and such, so I took it upon myself to do that.  Painted up the studs on the armor for the despoiler marines and made my first attempt at painting a plasma pistol because it didn't look right by default. 

I think the extra effort makes these guys stand out more.

53634490968_cd4bcdf07c_3k.jpg

On 4/5/2024 at 4:18 AM, MacrossJunkie said:

Pretty sure they're coming eventually. I do want those inner circle ones with the new helmets. 

In other news, they announced a few days ago the 10th edition Leviathan box set terminators including UM 1st Captain Agemman, the librarian terminator, and some terminators including the sgt with the teleport homer. The helmet sculpts have been fixed so they're not so small looking and more detail have been added to the legs. They are also a little bigger than the Deathwing termies.

more-pics-for-the-new-ultra-v0-z017m8guz

I’m sure the will do the new Desthwing Terminators eventually. It was just unfortunate that:

1. they didn’t release any regular Deathwing Terminator troops and

2. GW just released new Deathwing Terminators when JoyToy announced theirs.

I wonder what the communications with GW sounded when JoyToy decided to release the Deathwing.

I hope they do announce Sammael in his jetbike soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, I honestly wasn't expecting to see them roll out something from that grand tome we call Codex: Australian Wildlife... er... Codex: Tyranids.

It looks like they've done a great job with the sculpts as always, though the color scheme from the cover of the Codex is definitely one of the less interesting/appealing ones. 🤔

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Interesting, I honestly wasn't expecting to see them roll out something from that grand tome we call Codex: Australian Wildlife... er... Codex: Tyranids.

It looks like they've done a great job with the sculpts as always, though the color scheme from the cover of the Codex is definitely one of the less interesting/appealing ones. 🤔

It was probably inevitable since they they were doing the space marine portion of the Leviathan box set with the new terminators, Agemman, librarian, chaplain, and sternguard. So now they're doing the other half of it with the nids. Hopefully they sell well because it's nice to have more than just SM. 

Yeah, the sculpts are great and I think they've done a good job of hiding the joints. The colors aren't quite right for Hive Fleet Leviathan though which is strange because normally they do a good job matching the colors to those of the official minis. The overall skin should be more pinkish. The gun shouldn't really be the same color as the skin. Not quite the right purple for the carapace either, but good enough I suppose. I expect that I will need to fix the colors when I get them.