Warhammer 40k

briscojr84

Necron - 99, My one friend plays Necrons, they are the scourge of my Iron Warriors, ugh, what kind of paint scheme did you have.

Elint Seeker - Both good picks, unfortunately we don't have anyone that plays either at the moment, we just restarted our Warhammer 40k a couple of weeks ago, we have Necrons, Plain Old Space Marines, World Eaters, and my Iron Warriors that I mainly play, but the guy who plays the space marines is working on a new dark eldar army and I've got a 2500 point IG army myself with Tau, Eldar, and one squad of Space Marines I'm working on.

How was your guys experience with WH40K, the goods and the bads, did you play in any actual tournaments or casual play. Any Tips for speeding the game up. What point sizes do you prefer.

If you guys are ever in the Mansfield, Ohio area let me know, we can knock together a game or something.

I used to play long ago, stopped sometime in the 90's.

My army were Dark Angel Space Marines which I formed up in the original "Rogue Trader" days. That means the real Dark Angels, where the color was black, not dark green. I had 3 platoons worth of them (50 S.Marines / Platoon). It was easy to get lots of troops those days, since there were sets of 50 plastic Marines for $24-30U.S. back in the Rogue Trader days (before GW got too greedy). I had a Lt.Cmdr, a Dreadnought, 1 Rhino, and 1 Land Raider with my Marines, plus 1 Terminator squad.

Like I said, black was the theme since these were the original chapter colors. I stopped for a year or two then started again with the same army in the 2nd and 3rd edition rules, but not playing as much as in the Rogue Trader days.

It was always nice to see the newer players asking why my DA's were black instead of dark green... and them asking how did I get an entire Space Marine army with what they call "Mark 6 Armor" these days :lol:

Anyways, it was a bit of a challenge to really make black figures stand out with details and yet look decent.

I used to play long ago, stopped sometime in the 90's.

My army were Dark Angel Space Marines which I formed up in the original "Rogue Trader" days. That means the real Dark Angels, where the color was black, not dark green. I had 3 platoons worth of them (50 S.Marines / Platoon). It was easy to get lots of troops those days, since there were sets of 50 plastic Marines for $24-30U.S. back in the Rogue Trader days (before GW got too greedy). I had a Lt.Cmdr, a Dreadnought, 1 Rhino, and 1 Land Raider with my Marines, plus 1 Terminator squad.

Like I said, black was the theme since these were the original chapter colors. I stopped for a year or two then started again with the same army in the 2nd and 3rd edition rules, but not playing as much as in the Rogue Trader days.

It was always nice to see the newer players asking why my DA's were black instead of dark green... and them asking how did I get an entire Space Marine army with what they call "Mark 6 Armor" these days :lol:

Anyways, it was a bit of a challenge to really make black figures stand out with details and yet look decent.

My friends having the same problem with his black templars, he' finally decided to try doing about twelve layers of watered down black/gray, although with his new baby he hasn't had much chance to get started, heh the major complaint from most of the others at the moment is the way the codexes and main rule book are set up.

I used to play when I was in CA, but since I've been off in grad school and then out here to NC I haven't played much at all in the past several years. Didn't even bring my armies with me.

I have a small deathwing force and a small tau force but my real love are my orks.

Hardly ever win with them though since my army design is sorta kooky and shooty space marines chew me up badly.

Play Warmachine and Hordes by Privateerpress.... GW games are overpriced, not fun, and full of snobby people.

EDIT: And I'm not just saying that, I DID used to play.... Blood Angels.

QFT

I still love the fluff and have a lot of conversions still pending but Warmachine is another whole story. In seven years I've played about eight W40k games whereas with Warmachine my friends and I can fit one or two games a week. Simple rules that open up a lot of different strategies... and the games are quick.

Besides, if the new trend is to make watered down Codexes like the new Codex: Chaos Space Marines count me out. It’s a throwback to the crappy first book of the 3rd edition. The current one at least has a lot of character compared to the new one’s legionless, specific daemonless offering.

*edit*

I do chaos. My main force is a Thousand Sons list with a different colour scheme (light blue, green, gold). I also have other units painted/converted for other chaos legions.

Edited by Twoducks

That is a pretty nice scheme, my friend went with a gore red and silver scheme with some black and gold detailing.

I don't know what point size of games you are playing but we usually manage to squeeze two-three 2000 point games in about 4-6 hours.

I didn't really like the way the war machine figures looked, I like the 40K stuff especially the tanks, although I think they need to ditch the IGuards rough riders and replace them with dirtbikes or scout cars.

As for color schemes my Iron warriors are the standard boltgun, and gold, my piddling amount of space marines [although I did splurge on a whirlwind and land raider crusader, and there for awhile I bought like ten rhinos for five bucks a pop off of people] are a dwarf bronze with the command level having a really dark green, sgts with a really dark purple and everyone else having gore red detail. My IGuard is black with grey and gold detailing, my tau are black with dark angels green, camo green, and dwarf bronze, my eldar are going to be bleached bone with scorched brown, and shadow grey detailing.

That is a pretty nice scheme, my friend went with a gore red and silver scheme with some black and gold detailing.

I don't know what point size of games you are playing but we usually manage to squeeze two-three 2000 point games in about 4-6 hours.

I didn't really like the way the war machine figures looked, I like the 40K stuff especially the tanks, although I think they need to ditch the IGuards rough riders and replace them with dirtbikes or scout cars.

As for color schemes my Iron warriors are the standard boltgun, and gold, my piddling amount of space marines [although I did splurge on a whirlwind and land raider crusader, and there for awhile I bought like ten rhinos for five bucks a pop off of people] are a dwarf bronze with the command level having a really dark green, sgts with a really dark purple and everyone else having gore red detail. My IGuard is black with grey and gold detailing, my tau are black with dark angels green, camo green, and dwarf bronze, my eldar are going to be bleached bone with scorched brown, and shadow grey detailing.

Actually if you go to the main page of my website there is a link for our gaming group, just about everybody has expanded from that though, I need to add new pictures.

IMO, the tank kits are fun to build but extremely undersized and under-detailed OOB (especially the SM ones... there's no way a ten man squad is fitting in that Rhino... barring the fact that the Rhino model has no room left for it's drive-system (engine?) Not Liking WM is just a matter of preference, but I personally love the PP models, so it works out for me. I just find no joy in playing a game of 40K compared to a game of WM/Hordes (I even enjoy Classic Battletech more than 40K games)...it's just such a clunky and soul-less system...

(I even enjoy Classic Battletech more than 40K games)

Right on B))

Played 40k up until about a year ago (Marines, Tau, DE, Orks, Guards, Necrons & Eldar). The constant rule changes that render an army useless, the rip off prices for rubbish models and the never ending shelling out of money to stay in touch finally broke the camel's back.

Give me CBT any day. :wub:

IMO, the tank kits are fun to build but extremely undersized and under-detailed OOB (especially the SM ones... there's no way a ten man squad is fitting in that Rhino... barring the fact that the Rhino model has no room left for it's drive-system (engine?)

It doesn't have an engine. It has a "machine spirit". :lol:

Fine, fine, we can knock it off... in respect to the thread tho, I am going to leave you with one question I actually do want an answer to... what is it about the game that you really, thoroughly enjoy? I liked the models for a little while until I found many superior models in all-metal lines like WM, and I've always found the actual play-time clunky and boring, so I really, really do want to know what about playing you really enjoy.

Fine, fine, we can knock it off... in respect to the thread tho, I am going to leave you with one question I actually do want an answer to... what is it about the game that you really, thoroughly enjoy? I liked the models for a little while until I found many superior models in all-metal lines like WM, and I've always found the actual play-time clunky and boring, so I really, really do want to know what about playing you really enjoy.

I enjoy the modelling, and I do like the rules overall, the only real problem I've had is the way the codexes are set up and the way the main rule-book has a horrible index, and the hard to find lesser known rules in said main rule book., I may just be a glutton for punishment and maybe it could be I like long involved battles, heh, I do wish that it was longer than six rounds some times.

And I wasn't trying to be rude earlier if it came off as that I apologize.

Edited by briscojr84

The background and story of 40K is very good, and very rich -- the benefits of having 30 years to develop. That's a big deal, really. Rules come and go, but the richness of the culture is a constant. Even if you have been in the hobby for a dozen years, the attention to detail can still catch you out.

As for superiority of models, I think metal are overrated for a hobbyist game and horrible as a pre-painted, collectible game (and I say this having transited from Citadel metals to Citadel plastic and having gone through FASA, Rackham, Privateer Press and Reaper metals and plastics.. Oh. And Wizards too, if you count the rubber as plastic...).

No matter what you might want to say about GW, but bar none, and I mean bar none, no company in the world makes models with the level of balance between sculpt, details, durability, customizability, engineering and weight that GW had managed to achieve. None.

Edited by Lynx7725

The background and story of 40K is very good, and very rich -- the benefits of having 30 years to develop. That's a big deal, really. Rules come and go, but the richness of the culture is a constant. Even if you have been in the hobby for a dozen years, the attention to detail can still catch you out.

As for superiority of models, I think metal are overrated for a hobbyist game and horrible as a pre-painted, collectible game (and I say this having transited from Citadel metals to Citadel plastic and having gone through FASA, Rackham, Privateer Press and Reaper metals and plastics.. Oh. And Wizards too, if you count the rubber as plastic...).

No matter what you might want to say about GW, but bar none, and I mean bar none, no company in the world makes models with the level of balance between sculpt, details, durability, customizability, engineering and weight that GW had managed to achieve. None.

I'd have to agree, I've played BT, old and new D&D, Star Wars, and several other mini-systems, I've liked the GW stuff the most.

And I wasn't trying to be rude earlier if it came off as that I apologize.

You didn't come off as rude, don't worry, we did kinda hijack the thread for a minute...

You know I can appreciate the level of detail and engineering in the plastic kits /when compared to other plastic kits/ but compared to a good metal model, it's just nowhere near the same, and I don't see how anyone can argue that. Plastic minis suffer from soft detail. I've got a box of brand-new Terminators in storage somewhere, and I checked them out before I submitted them to storage. Compare the headsculpts of any marine plastic to any metal marine or any other metal headsculpt... it's just not even close.Plastic has its uses, and customizing the models can be fun and is infinitely easier with plastic, but the overall level of detail between plastic and metal, especially for someone who is far more in the hobby to paint than play anything more than pickup games and friendly LGS tournies, is just not even comparable...

And the fluff has always been very strong for 40K... I don't play anymore, but I do still read the books for fun, gritty sci-fi thrills.

Plastic has since came a long way in hobbyist wargaming. AT-43 from Rackham has very crisp plastic models, and GW had switched to a harder plastic that holds better. And every year, plastic closes the gap between the two material.

Metal is still very good when you want a high-grade, high detail model, but at a substantial weight and customization penalty. With just a bit of tradeoff in details for significant advantages in weight and customization, the plastics are very, very acceptable nowadays for hobbyist gaming.

You didn't come off as rude, don't worry, we did kinda hijack the thread for a minute...

You know I can appreciate the level of detail and engineering in the plastic kits /when compared to other plastic kits/ but compared to a good metal model, it's just nowhere near the same, and I don't see how anyone can argue that. Plastic minis suffer from soft detail. I've got a box of brand-new Terminators in storage somewhere, and I checked them out before I submitted them to storage. Compare the headsculpts of any marine plastic to any metal marine or any other metal headsculpt... it's just not even close.Plastic has its uses, and customizing the models can be fun and is infinitely easier with plastic, but the overall level of detail between plastic and metal, especially for someone who is far more in the hobby to paint than play anything more than pickup games and friendly LGS tournies, is just not even comparable...

And the fluff has always been very strong for 40K... I don't play anymore, but I do still read the books for fun, gritty sci-fi thrills.

The detail on the metal ones are higher, and can be very pretty, although at times they can also have excess junk from the mold left on them, I bought a set of Grey knights at one point and although they were beautiful models it took about two hours to cut off and buff off all the burrs, I finally sold them before painting them because I knew I'd never be able to actual do that intricate of a paint job on them much to my disappointment, that and trundling around metal models kills your back :lol: especially if you have huge amounts of them, although a mostly metal vindicator does make a handy weapon :unsure:

I think WD had a mention of it an issue or two ago... it is true. What a monster of a kit... coming from GW I'm afraid of how much that will cost... if it were a normal all-plastic tank kit (not for gaming) it probably wouldn't cost more than $30-$35, but being a GW gaming model that size it will probably be almost twice that.

The Baneblade is coming as a plastic kit but not sure how long it would be in production. There's a few things to consider though.

1. It's definitely going to be cheaper than the Forgeworld model. Resin or not, Forgeworld Baneblades are priced beyond your usual gamer's reach.

2. Do note that a Baneblade is not something you commonly put on the tabletop for games...

3. You don't need a Baneblade, you want one. If you want one, this is an opportunity to own one at a cost lower than Forgeworld prices. If you don't want one, then the discussion is moot. :)

QFT. I actually just liked the fluff and the designs of them miniatures. The game's rules were just too clunky and time consuming for me.

I knew the game wasn't for me when I went to a local gaming guild and saw this 9 yr old kid bringing 5 suitcases worth of miniatures, which his dad helped carry in. Then he started unloading about 5-6 sets of Eldar hovertanks and probably a whole planetary invasion's worth of an army. 0.o

QFT. I actually just liked the fluff and the designs of them miniatures. The game's rules were just too clunky and time consuming for me.

I knew the game wasn't for me when I went to a local gaming guild and saw this 9 yr old kid bringing 5 suitcases worth of miniatures, which his dad helped carry in. Then he started unloading about 5-6 sets of Eldar hovertanks and probably a whole planetary invasion's worth of an army. 0.o

:lol:

I've played all of a dozen games over the past 10 years or so that i've been in and out of the hobby and although i've had some fun times in those games, for me it's just too expensive and too time consuming to get a good army together and to be able to paint them worth a damn. I must admit though, that i'm addicted to the fluff too. There are just so many stories to be read about you'll never fully know everything, no matter how much time you have. Really well done in this regard.

On a side note beyond the TT game i'm a huge fan of the Dawn of War PC game. That and it's subsequent expansions are some of the best RTS gaming ever made. Really a class act put together by Relic games. If you haven't tried/played them, you owe it to yourself to DL the demo. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by Veritas

The Baneblade is coming as a plastic kit but not sure how long it would be in production. There's a few things to consider though.

1. It's definitely going to be cheaper than the Forgeworld model. Resin or not, Forgeworld Baneblades are priced beyond your usual gamer's reach.

2. Do note that a Baneblade is not something you commonly put on the tabletop for games...

3. You don't need a Baneblade, you want one. If you want one, this is an opportunity to own one at a cost lower than Forgeworld prices. If you don't want one, then the discussion is moot. :)

Oh I don't need it, but I do want it, heh, heh, I've been waiting awhile to get my hands on one of the big tanks, if nothing else it can be a special project.

OFT^2 This basically sums up WH40K in a nutshell for me... the only group you forgot are the rules lawyering 'serious gamers' that play at tournies to win by being an ass and forgetting that games are meant to be fun. :rolleyes:

The price of a Baneblade is still a good point... regardless of where it is priced for a plastic kit, it'll still be infinitely cheaper than the FW model... which drives me nuts, cuz I always consider getting a FW model or two, bc/ resin models are alot of fun, but the price on FW stuff is soooo prohibitive that I cannot figure it out... resin just DOESN'T cost that much. For the price of any of the really neat and large kits, I could instead get like 4 large garage kits of anime properties... wtf?