Warhammer 40k

briscojr84

Here's the unboxing (photo spam incoming):

The toy box is an outer sleeve and inner window box affair.  The crush damage can be clearly seen once the shrink-wrap is removed.

IMG_2193.thumb.JPG.bb8e4ad097b704480f6fa366aecf8b98.JPG

IMG_2194.thumb.JPG.89978258702872728ec7b51a0d780ed0.JPG

IMG_2195.thumb.JPG.ad1a788c8e23f8455a6c7f70fa9253d5.JPG

IMG_2196.thumb.JPG.c50be0623d5df30e6002c7e0b97b2d8d.JPG

Happy to report that the inner plastic trays seem to have done their job.

IMG_2197.thumb.JPG.e3cb11e62ddad46e25695e6324d40e38.JPG

IMG_2198.thumb.JPG.1ff6b73d5af8840ccfc387edd0e6024f.JPG

IMG_2199.thumb.JPG.3c36e275e6e5b80c350a00b1b3c4e863.JPG

Top tray and bottom tray sporting their contents.

IMG_2201.thumb.JPG.9523e78e49ac48b029e0c90a9e145345.JPG

And here is the big guy

IMG_2202.thumb.JPG.7c021f6ab832511cdb3424d30f48f9b0.JPG

IMG_2203.thumb.JPG.f52bca90c8f1e565018874e929f06035.JPG

IMG_2204.thumb.JPG.edd6a00867809941bfdfbe0b7c8408dc.JPG

Hi folks!...

IMG_2205.thumb.JPG.d2939183c67016d965f3511e2785ef80.JPG

IMG_2206.thumb.JPG.5c1d12e2db45c4db3a0a53b641038891.JPG

IMG_2207.thumb.JPG.782c1b6d739cdce9530264f2cd709439.JPG

IMG_2208.thumb.JPG.79a8fef23b12f1d5b3862aa0e706f772.JPG

So I got my Bandai Space Marine a few days ago.

First the good thing: he is so much fun to play with and it is easy to get him into expressive and natural looking poses which is an impressive thing for a toy in power armor. His larger size (compared to other 6 inch figures) and bulky stature are a large contribution to his fun factor.

Now the bad stuff: I really wished for more accessories. Not just weapons (there is a plethora available in the 40k universe; at least the iconic chainsword would be a must in my eyes). I also feel that the lack of additional posing hands is a big detriment to the toy. Other things I could imagine: (magnetized) purity seals, holsters, pouches, granades,  a thurible, the list goes on and on. That would have given the toy so much more personality and one could customize a whole squad out of one figure.

Now the ugly: the build quality and fit and finish are subpar compared to other offerings by Bandai. The paint on my copy has many defects and is applied sloppily. Better materials like a glossy blue base paint or die cast in the feet/lower legs would have been beneficial. The joint engineering is also pretty basic and the Bolter seems to be too big/out of proportion.
Overall the sculpt feels like a blown up CAD model of the GW mini which makes it feel like it is lacking some details that are lost due to the minis being so small. In my mind it should be more detailed and ornate in this scale.

Overall it is a good figure but it could be so much more and I expected more from Bandai. It can’t hold a candle to the pinnacle of 6 inch action figures which is to me the Truforce Mega Man X.

I have the suspicion that someone at GW approached Bandai and handed them a bag of money and requested 10,000 Space Marine action figures and Bandai took the money and gave us this. I think that is my biggest issue with the toy; it lacks passion.

[edit:] I don’t think that Bandai is the only one to blame it could easily be GWs fault that this turned out to be the way it is. They are notoriously difficult to deal with and demand a premium for all their products.

Edited by Scyla

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

So I got my Bandai Space Marine a few days ago.

First the good thing: he is so much fun to play with and it is easy to get him into expressive and natural looking poses which is an impressive thing for a toy in power armor. His larger size (compared to other 6 inch figures) and bulky stature are a large contribution to his fun factor.

Now the bad stuff: I really wished for more accessories. Not just weapons (there is a plethora available in the 40k universe; at least the iconic chainsword would be a must in my eyes). I also feel that the lack of additional posing hands is a big detriment to the toy. Other things I could imagine: (magnetized) purity seals, holsters, pouches, granades,  a thurible, the list goes on and on. That would have given the toy so much more personality and one could customize a whole squad out of one figure.

Now the ugly: the build quality and fit and finish are subpar compared to other offerings by Bandai. The paint on my copy has many defects and is applied sloppily. Better materials like a glossy blue base paint or die cast in the feet/lower legs would have been beneficial. The joint engineering is also pretty basic and the Bolter seems to be too big/out of proportion.
Overall the sculpt feels like a blown up CAD model of the GW mini which makes it feel like it is lacking some details that are lost due to the minis being so small. In my mind it should be more detailed and ornate in this scale.

Overall it is a good figure but it could be so much more and I expected more from Bandai. It can’t hold a candle to the pinnacle of 6 inch action figures which is to me the Truforce Mega Man X.

I have the suspicion that someone at GW approached Bandai and handed them a bag of money and requested 10,000 Space Marine action figures and Bandai took the money and gave us this. I think that is my biggest issue with the toy; it lacks passion.

[edit:] I don’t think that Bandai is the only one to blame it could easily be GWs fault that this turned out to be the way it is. They are notoriously difficult to deal with and demand a premium for all their products.

We'll have to see how the McFarlane Toy's version compares.

So the upside is that I won't have to wait any longer for my space marines. FedEx dropped off the package today. ^_^

The downside is that I'm currently too busy with writing projects to unbox them. I did take them out of the shipping carton and everything looks intact. No crush damage or anything obvious which is lucky since GW used a single layer of air packets as padding. Anyway, if I'm able to come up for air in the next day or so, I'll take some photos and post them to the thread with my thoughts.

Edited by technoblue

Like others have said, it is a little lacking on detail, it is essentially a brand new Primaris Space Marine in Armor right off the assembly line.  No purity seals or battle damage, and just the knife and Bolter.  That said I think the Articulation is awesome, you can get him into just about any pose you've seen on a miniature.  If this is the only one produced, then I'm glad I got him, if they ever come out with a Dark Angel space marine, or better yet Deathwing Terminator, I think he's going to another home. 

6 hours ago, Kelsain said:

After watching a few reviews, I’m not sure that this was what I was hoping for. :/

Well, it is essentially a large S.H.Figuartd toy with less accessories (especially hands) and lesser fit and finish (at least on my copy).

If you are ok with that you won’t be disappointed.

The thing is Bandai has the capability to produce an outstanding toy  but for some reasons they didn’t.
It is an ok but fun action figure with the GW license on top and thus more expensive than it should be.

Edited by Scyla

• 2 weeks later...

The price point may make this a no brainer, and they do look very nice, but I doubt they'll come close to the articulation of the Bandai.  They're also likely to get a wider range of figures out faster, so I'll definitely be picking up a Dark Angel or Deathwing terminator.

Chainsword! The Necron Warrior is also nice and creepy, as it should be.

It looks like McFarlane will have more options which is always good to see. I'm kind of worried that Bandai's effort may be a one and done thing, meaning that we won't see anymore figures from them or any accessory packs in this fictional universe. But I guess time will tell.

It seems like GW is doing their old scatter shot approach to licencing. It's more pronounced in the video game area, but seems that they are starting that with merchandise as well now. 

Heck to an extent they are doing that with the TV series they have planned. Angels of Death is CG while Bolter and Hammer is animated, and the Eisenhorn series is supposed to be live action.

26 minutes ago, levzloi said:

The price point may make this a no brainer, and they do look very nice, but I doubt they'll come close to the articulation of the Bandai.  They're also likely to get a wider range of figures out faster, so I'll definitely be picking up a Dark Angel or Deathwing terminator.

Why wouldn't the articulation come close?  It's already not that great on the Bandai one.

12 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Why wouldn't the articulation come close?  It's already not that great on the Bandai one.

Disagree, I feel the articulation is very good on the Bandai, and the Mcfarlane ones seem to be more the in range of the traditional action figure, but we'll know for certain about six months from now. 

6 minutes ago, levzloi said:

Disagree, I feel the articulation is very good on the Bandai, and the Mcfarlane ones seem to be more the in range of the traditional action figure, but we'll know for certain about six months from now. 

Four, they're due for release in September.

That’s lame. But I will still totally repaint a $20 figure. 3D print/scratch building a bolter should be fairly easy. And if they’ve designed the bolter already, they’ll likely include it with another release. 
If the first round sells well, I’m sure McFarlane will give us a Space Wolf.

My Bandai is set to arrive today, and I’m probably just going to put it up for sale.

Edited by Kelsain

5 hours ago, Kelsain said:

That’s lame. But I will still totally repaint a $20 figure. 3D print/scratch building a bolter should be fairly easy. And if they’ve designed the bolter already, they’ll likely include it with another release. 
If the first round sells well, I’m sure McFarlane will give us a Space Wolf.

My Bandai is set to arrive today, and I’m probably just going to put it up for sale.

Just get the two pack with the painted and unpainted one mentioned above, comes with a bolt rifle

Edited by levzloi

• 2 months later...

Figure I drop this here as I'm a little proud of what I did.

In three months I painted this:

gallery_778_13788_129688.jpg.46502dccd2a6ba887f1fe06747e00253.jpg

That is a bakers' dozen of mini-knights and two medium sized ones. Technically I did two more not pictured.

Most of these are for my custom knight house and I wanted six squads of the buggers and it is done.

gallery_778_14699_250594.jpg.7af810c147cd1a148b0d00dc8dbdccb1.jpg

Now I just need one of every type of knight and the house overall will be done.

Anyone getting/have gotten the new 9th edition indomitus(sp?)  crusade box set?  Watched an unboxing video and looks to be pretty cool looking, though I have no idea the cost and they are made to order, but for those who are into the tabletop gaming, it is where it is at right now.  I have not played the tabletop game since epic scale was a thing.  I had the space marine faction army, they were the Ultramarines and I had a Reaver Class Titan and a Warlord Class titan and a whole bunch of Land Raider Tanks.  But that has got to have been 20 or more years ago.

Twich

6 hours ago, twich said:

Anyone getting/have gotten the new 9th edition indomitus(sp?)  crusade box set?  Watched an unboxing video and looks to be pretty cool looking, though I have no idea the cost and they are made to order, but for those who are into the tabletop gaming, it is where it is at right now.  I have not played the tabletop game since epic scale was a thing.  I had the space marine faction army, they were the Ultramarines and I had a Reaver Class Titan and a Warlord Class titan and a whole bunch of Land Raider Tanks.  But that has got to have been 20 or more years ago.

Twich

Got one (technically two due to housemate). The new rules will take some getting used to, but those that played the prior edition will have little issues.

Price point of the big box is really good, but if your only interested in a force I'd either wait til the battle boxes or if your itching to get into the game then grab one of the new starter sets releasing this month.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, levzloi said:

Btw, both of those are also up for pre-order on the P-Bandai US website:

https://p-bandai.com

Just in case it's cheaper shipping/untaxed for someone.

Edited by Sanity is Optional