Battle Angel Alita

wolfx

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine today from HLJ and I have to say it is a very VERY nice figure.

I was surprised at how many moving bits it has for such a small toy/collectable.

BTW if you put one of the eye pieces in without any decals she looks creepy.

The Mrs suggested I paint one of the eye pieces red to make her super Psycho.

I admit I am tempted.

B))

• 2 years later...

Old topic but i have a little question.

For what i know, and believe me i would be more than happy to be wrong on this one, there is no adaptation at all of Gunnm Last Order.

Nada, rien, niente, nothing.

Most of the time if a manga is a bit successful then soon enough a tv adaptation or at least an OAV is made about it, so what the deal ? Gunnm last order is that unpopular in Japan than it doesn't even deserve a little something ? Or Yukito Kishiro said "no thanks" maybe ?

Well, alright Gunnm Last Order is clearly not as good as Gunnm but damn, it would be really cool to see Gally kicking some metal arses again. B))

Edited by Castel

The 14th, and yes, my statement remains, clearly not as good.

That doesn't mean that Last Order is bad at all, just that Gunnm is really a more interesting read in my opinion than Last Order.

But as i really don't want to start a useless, painful and absurdly long debate over this question let's just say that to each his own and let's move on. (it's the same fricking author anyway)

• 6 years later...

I just want them to choose an actress who looks young, petite, and is fairly short in stature to fit the role. Zendaya Coleman, who I never heard of prior to this thread, fits the first two, but at 5'10", seems kinda tall for a cyborg who's supposed to look about 12. Her young appearance and diminutive stature in the anime makes her all the more badass when she squares off against towering bad guys...and promptly kicks their asses.

Alas, Zendaya seems to be the leading pick, so I'm kinda resigned at this point. Chloe Moretz would have fit the character profile better, though...and she has martial arts training under her belt already.

Sigh...

I don't trust the industry to make the movie any good, both despite and because of the race debate. I honestly would just rather get a high-budget, high-profile CG/anime movie (of this and GitS).

Tangentially-related: Didn't Alita basically invent the Rasengan? Like, some sort of lightning palm strike in the anime movie or something?

Since we're diving into race stuff again, when did a character like Alita EVER get pointed out as being of Asian ethnicity outside of her being a manga character? i never considered her to be of that variety.

Well, I don't think people "dove" into the race stuff again, for various reasons - one being that Alita and the world/story/etc. itself isn't quite so (arguably, apparently) specifically Japanese as Motoko and GitS - but if you want to make the first plunge, feel free.

As to your question, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Anime Ethnicity. She is what people make of her. There's a connection I want to make with black cosplayers here, but it's lost on me at the moment, so I'll just post a link to this article I read on the intersection of anime and blackness: http://www.vice.com/read/what-black-anime-fans-can-teach-us-about-race-in-america-805

Thinking on this property some more, I really don't think that a blockbuster budget suits it. Maybe a "mid-size" $50 million budget with a lesser-known Asian American actress in the lead role and sparse, creative use of special effects married to inventive action choreography would fit this type of movie more than hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of rendering time.

...but I mean so long as she isn't played by a white girl I'm fine. /shots fired

I don't know if race should be an issue like with ghost in the shell. The main characters name and location along with supporting characters from gits are all japanes or at least Asian which is why that film has a controversy. With gunm I think the only controversy was the name, because there was a confusion between gunm and gundam, which is why it was changed to battle angel alita.

I'm sure someone will find a reason why the races are all wrong, but the producers may have chosen this as a reason not to deal with the issues that are coming up with gits.

I would really hope that both films surprise us all and turn out great. I also hope these films get the mechanical designs closer to the Japanese styling. I was watching pacific rim and the suits for the pilots are very anime. It's especially easy to see at the beginning when they have the white suits, so I believe it can be done.

• 4 weeks later...

At least no one can complain about white washing here. I like a lot of Robert Rodriguez films, even the predator that he worked on. This sounds more promising than the ghost in the shell film.

Also this weekend image anime has the old dvd for sale I think$7.99 for those who may have missed out years back. Odd timing.

I liked Rosa in Scorch Trials- physically, she fits the character better than Zendaya, IMO. She looks alot younger than her actual age. Robert Rodriguez seems an odd choice to me to take over the director's chair. After a decade of sitting on this, and given his passion for it, I'm really surprised that Cameron is passing the torch. I hope he has a strong screenplay prepped, and that he consults with Rodriguez along the way.

I still wish that Spielberg and Hasbro had convinced Cameron to do Transformers; I think a greater appreciation for the characters and core story would have been brought to life under his direction.