Battle Angel Alita

wolfx

On 2/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, slaginpit said:

I really enjoyed the movie. Rewatched the original they captured a lot from the anime and yet they mixed some parts from the mega manga.

Did a review video funny fox nailed me for copy right. Even tho a showed a tiny bit of the trailer and made the review transformative. With so little positive reviews on the film I have been thinking maybe I should delete the video review and post a negative one. How do you like dem apples FOX!

That's likely just intimidation on their part, overstepping knowing that you're not going to spend the money on fighting it. Using a minimal amount for review purposes typically falls under fair use. You just can't use more than is really needed to be able to do the review, though that's all subjective. The transformative aspect isn't even relevant in this case, or needed.

Came back from another viewing, this time an evening showing. Was nice to see the back-half of the theater filled. That moment where Alita is making her speech to the Hunter Warriors elicited some laughter, at just about the same time that Zapan laughed, so it fit!:D

I've stated before that I feel the ending is a bit soft, but I expect it now, so it actually seems to fit better with repeated viewings. That, or I am brain-washing myself...:blink: But then, for Alita I would toss my brain in for wash and repeat!

I really hope the Blu-Ray will have a Director's Cut.

53 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Knowing Cameron, that’ll be a theatrical release Director’s Cut. 

I hope that cut is more violent. The one thing that wasn't implied in the movie was the disposability of the common scrap iron citizenry (although you get that impression once

Spoiler

when the centurions nearly smear the dog as they marched...

in fact, my feeling was that TPTB didn't give two craps, as long as the spice flowed, so to speak. The Hunter Warriors killed off the typical criminal element but otherwise the world turned...

another thought I just came up with: They said that Zalem was the last sky city left (as to imply there was many, at least several)… but how could they pull off such numbers? In the manga, there was TWO cities, one set in the middle of the US and it's opposite set someplace in the Indian Ocean, connected by a orbital ring around the globe. during the moon fight  flashback, was there any glance panning shots that showed the earth (and presumably the orbital ring)?

16 hours ago, TehPW said:

I hope that cut is more violent. The one thing that wasn't implied in the movie was the disposability of the common scrap iron citizenry (although you get that impression once

Hide contents
Spoiler

when the centurions nearly smear the dog as they marched...

in fact, my feeling was that TPTB didn't give two craps, as long as the spice flowed, so to speak. The Hunter Warriors killed off the typical criminal element but otherwise the world turned...

another thought I just came up with: They said that Zalem was the last sky city left (as to imply there was many, at least several)… but how could they pull off such numbers? In the manga, there was TWO cities, one set in the middle of the US and it's opposite set someplace in the Indian Ocean, connected by a orbital ring around the globe. during the moon fight  flashback, was there any glance panning shots that showed the earth (and presumably the orbital ring)?

I didn't see any orbital ring and there was no number set on how many there had been. All we see is Zalem floating in the sky and connected to the ground by the conveying umbilicals.

I wonder if some of those answers would be found in the 'Art of' book? I'm thinking about getting that one.  Or Ido's Journal? The history with the war has me very intrigued and wanting to know more, and I would like to see some close up shots of the URM cruisers.

I did buy the novelization of the movie, and it is a good read. I am just about half way through it, and it adds more personal insight to what's happening with only a few scenes being slightly different.

Edited by Thom

Saw this last week and was much better than I expected. My expectations were low; live action anime and manga adaptations tend to be absolutely awful. This was ok. They crammed too much plot and emphasized the romance angle a tad much, but they got so much right and respected the spirit of the manga. Alita was perfect and Waltz was a pretty good Ido.

I watched the film with some colleagues who are not into manga and they enjoyed it. A lot. One of them who is a Marvel universe evangelist actually said that he never thought he'd see something that managed action/combat sequences on the same level as Marvel. So Cameron and Rodriguez have made something even "neutrals" can enjoy.

Of course it seems that the all important Murican' market didn't share the same opinion so we probably won't get a quality/big budget sequel.

5 hours ago, RED WOLF said:

Hot Toys is producing one. Not sure if you're into that scale or not. It does look really good.

It looks good, but all things considered, I think a highly-articulated figma/revoltech suits the character better.  (And would sell in much greater numbers)

5 hours ago, RED WOLF said:

Hot Toys is producing one. Not sure if you're into that scale or not. It does look really good.

Am buying one of those! Have to wait til near the end of the year though... :(

My heavily optimistic side is really hoping China picks up enough for a sequel!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it on Saturday with my son. Really enjoyed it. Much better than expected.

Possibly the film more commented on as "much better than expected" by everyone I know than any other film, ever. :lol:

I liked it, anyway. More than I expected, and I went in expecting to like it more than I expected to like it.

I’m with you on that. The early reviews were bad, plus the fact this is an adaptation of manga/anime the expectations were really low. If a buddy that I trust hadn’t recommended it I probably would have passed. But sometimes it’s great to be proven wrong.

Finally found some time to go see this movie.  

It was pretty awesome, probably the best manga/anime/live action adaptation I've ever seen.  

I might go see it again, and wait till Capt Marvel comes out on BD.

The thread lives!!:yahoo:

Glad you liked it.

I saw this for the last time this week. Less show times for it and a restrictive schedule means no more on the Big Screen.:(

Next time will be on Blu Ray.  I did buy the Art of book, which is pretty cool.

Depending on which report you go by, the 394 million should be fine. The film didn’t do well here, but did beat the expectations and then did fairly good overseas. There were reports that it didn’t need much to get the green light for a sequel and then other reports saying it needed to hit the 400 million mark and others saying it needed as much as 500 million. The 394 million it did is far above the low expectations and really close to the 400 million mark. Once it hits home vid and gets licensing for either cable or streaming it may go over that mark. Everyone involved in the film making process has said they really want to do a sequel, but so far no one has said it’s a done deal. Hopefully we get some real news soon and hopefully it’s good news.

I encourage everyone who liked the movie to pick up the Manga.

I haven't read the manga, but I might now.

I did watch the OVA a few months back, and I'm still impressed that they didn't tell a completely different story.

I completely forgot about her eyes, and at times, I forgot that Alita was a complete CG character.  To me, she blended seamlessly into the movie.  

Want to see more, looking forward to a director's cut if there'll be one.

• 2 months later...