Battle Angel Alita

wolfx

HER as Alita? Hell and NO. That was from the 90's! Like, eons ago. (like, literally when I got my driver's license, old... and I got it late in life!) Plus the tech needed for good CGI was infantile in nature... maybe. :D

13 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Actually, I’m also surprised that they didn’t try to use Rosa Salasarz’s  face. The young woman is pretty and bares more than a little resemblance to Gun’m:

https://goo.gl/images/V7mUAu

And

369px-Rosa_WIKI.jpg

That right there is a perfect Alita. Why the eyes? The film really doesn't need it.

Spoiler box about that clip just in case.

Spoiler

I dunno about that fight scene, it almost feels like Alita's punches had no weight behind them as slow as she was going. Maybe that's just the CGI messing with my eyes though. Also no massive head splatter against the wall, that's an iconic panel from the manga that was probably too gory for the movies.

Battle_Angel_01_26.jpg

10 hours ago, dizman said:

Spoiler box about that clip just in case.

Hide contents

I dunno about that fight scene, it almost feels like Alita's punches had no weight behind them as slow as she was going. Maybe that's just the CGI messing with my eyes though. Also no massive head splatter against the wall, that's an iconic panel from the manga that was probably too gory for the movies.

Battle_Angel_01_26.jpg

you are on point with that observation.....its like she was punching underwater....it lacks impact

6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Well, they're certainly mashing up the plot, event order, and characters.

I think that's because of both the medium chosen (Theatrical movie) as well as the median age of viewer, sadly. Cameron knows he will get the Otaku (Japanese, American, Antarctic, etc.) but the movie must still please the ruffian Millennials on a global scale. I don't think a movie version per GN would work (on Netflix? I think it would be heresy for ABA to NOT be on Netflix, the planet would masturbate to it every night... and I'm shocked he didn't)

Edited by TehPW
I cans Spells! eeeerrrrhhh

To me, the Manga always had a kinda Italo Western feeling, with passages of slow, calm idyl and outbreaks of insane violence. The makers of the adaption apparently were immune to that notion and went straight for the cool action poses etc. I could forgive that, if it wasn't wrapped in that plastic CGO overkill telenovela aesthetic that makes The Incredibles look gritty in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like a mashup of TV spots.

I saw the November trailer in theaters in the run-up to Bumblebee, and it struck me just how differently each trailer has been trying to sell this. First trailer was a bit artsy, centering on the coming of age story. Second trailer tried to really "mainstream" it, make it seem like a more conventional action movie. This one plays up the romance angle, at least at first. And of the three, I think the first and the third trailers do the best job selling this to me. We all know James Cameron's movies like to only pretend to be mindless action adventures while really being romantic comedies at heart. The second trailer tries REALLY HARD to appeal to the dudebros with the rote dialogue and heavy emphasis on the CGI fight scenes, but the first and third seem to better capture the more... "female-friendly" aspects of the film. I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into it. Either way, still cautiously optimistic.

That last one was the best so far, as it shows the story having more depth and 'history' in-universe. But no matter what the trailers are showing, either a 'lost girl' or 'girl meets boy' or 'death race' angle, so far I'm liking it all! I know this is not going to be a blockbuster though. I would be happily surprised if it was, but judging from GiTS with that being lead by a major Hollywood star and following along a similar arc, I just hope it's going to do well. And if I do like it, I will do my part to make it so by watching the hell out of it repeatedly!:D

• 2 weeks later...

If nothing else, it will do better than Ghost in the Shell's farce of a movie did. 

One reason: James Cameron is a long-time fan of Alita. It's going to bypass a lot of the usual design-by-committee that ruins MOST Hollywood movies(Ghost included), just because it's a passion project and he's using his name to force it through the studio's gauntlet unmolested.  This is a movie that's being made because Cameron wants to watch it and has the clout to make it happen. 

I'm not saying it will be GREAT, just that it will try to stay faithful instead of taking the first right turn into crazytown like Bayformers, or Ghost In Name Only, or Doom, or Godzilla Takes New York, or... you get the idea.

I'm warming up to this.

I always thought Cameron was done with Battle Angel after he did Dark Angel for TV.  Guess he really did want to get a more faithful adaption together as movie, even if he didn't direct.