Battle Angel Alita

wolfx

7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Wow, trailer looks good. How long have we've been waiting for this movie?

since 2009, at least. His Avatar crew was touring military units at the time and he visited Dwight D. Eisenhower while we were on our 2009 War cruise. Gunmn was a huge deal to him, as IRC... I'm stoked for this.

10 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

The CG eyes looks eerie. Anime Cosplayers have better manga eyes. 

I think that may be part of the filmmakers' point. A character that's part killing machine trapped in a girl's body should be a bit creepy and off. And it's an interesting nod to the anime roots.

Man, this brings back memories. Looking forward to seeing it. Can't believe it was only 24 years ago when I first saw the OVA. 

21 minutes ago, gingaio said:

I think that may be part of the filmmakers' point. A character that's part killing machine trapped in a girl's body should be a bit creepy and off. And it's an interesting nod to the anime roots.

Man, this brings back memories. Looking forward to seeing it. Can't believe it was only 24 years ago when I first saw the OVA. 

Eh, the CGI eyes are too obvious to be "a bit" creepy and off. In its current state, it just looks like bad CGI. Heck, the majority of the movie looks like bad CGI.

And why focus on the eyes? It's not like the original manga and anime adaptations - what little I remember of them, anyway - paid special attention to them.

8 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Is there a mass brainwash going on? I loved the manga, but they were so full of gore I felt kinda filthy after reading. This looks like a completely sanitized OC YA Disney version of the Scrapyard. And don't even get me started on this Dollfie version of Alita.

Agreed. Aside from being super gory, they were also just... grimy in general, as far as I remember. Like, everything should be caked in at least one layer of dust and motor oil.

That said, the trailer does give off a feeling of competence, confidence, more so than other anime adaptations. It's confident enough in itself to go for the subdued, "artsy" trailer rather than the "generic summer blockbuster," at any rate. Happy tidings to those who like what they saw.

I'll give it a chance; they've got a good cast for the main characters. As for the anime inspired eyes, it drives home the point that she's a robot, so the uncanny valley look of her is suitable. If the story, dialog, and overall feel of the film is well done (cleanliness notwithstanding; it should be a little grimier, IMHO), then I think the eyes won't be such a big deal, just part of who she is. It won't hurt, either, if there are other robots with similar eyes to establish a norm for that particular feature.

Got a feeling that the gore is going to be seriously toned down, and that most of her battles will be with other robots, so the chunks of enemies will have a decidedly artificial look to them. It already feels sanitized. Then again, Robert Rodriguez is no stranger to blood and gore, so....

5 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

Whos else is waiting for the toys to show up?   Flowery robot body is in the movie, hope it self destroys itself since it's not suited to Panzer Kunst.  Maybe the Berzerker body shows up.... would love a roller blade body but that's probably in the future.

After watching the trailer I would say the movie is roughly based around the Hugo/Makaku ark so the Berserker body should show up at one point I'd assume. 

Ho man I really need to dig the manga out during the Christmas holiday. I have a strong urge to read it right now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Random thoughts/questions:

1) Is there a Japanese/Overseas version of the A:BA trailer?

2) What is the typical Japanese opinion of the upcoming 2018 film?

On 12/8/2017 at 3:39 PM, Fortress_Maximus said:

Hmm less than optimistic.  IMHO almost no live action manga/anime adaptions were well-made.  As for the actress she does not look suitable, her frame is not petite. Do not care about her ethnicity as long as the actress accurately embodies Yoko's grace, skill, and persona.

I thought Edge of Tomorrow was well-made. I actually liked it better than the manga.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

The more I see this trailer, the more I like it. It's the music, the editing. A good trailer. The movie itself still looks underwhelming, but the trailer is good.

it really depends on the rating they are seeking. Gunmn can be very visceral (to show just how humanity is cheap, for example)... it'll be challenge to make it look as close to the manga as possible without making it rated R (i personally suspect they will clearly aim for PG-13 because that trailer pulls some major heart strings = as many female butts they can get into the seats).

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Alita just got pushed back to December. I was really looking forward to seeing it this Summer :(

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/james-cameron-alita-battle-angel-moved-back-1202696666/

Crappy.  I wonder if it's a reaction to the internet criticism and they want to fix or improve certain things?

7 hours ago, peter said:

Crappy.  I wonder if it's a reaction to the internet criticism and they want to fix or improve certain things?

^%$&ing WHY? *grumbles*

16 minutes ago, TehPW said:

^%$&ing WHY? *grumbles*

Personally, I liked the trailer.  I thought the music was very well done and suited the imagery.  I’d never read the comic or watched the anime but it got me curious and I watched the original film.  The English dub was cringe worthy for today’s standards, but it really time warped me back to my younger days and I still liked it. 

I’m totally okay with the CG eyes.  At first, I was taken aback by it, then I figured it’s not like she’s supposed to be a human born with eyes like that, she’s got an artificial body.  The more I thought about it and the more I watched the trailer, the more I liked it. 

I hope it’s only delayed to avoid competing with other summer blockbusters and really hope they don’t mess with it, do something dumb like shrink the eyes or use the actress’s real eyes.  I think it was kind of gutsy for the production to try something like this, so I hope they don’t chicken out and succumb to the critics.

Edited by peter

Well it wont do dick as long as they DON"T advertise it. I better see it plastered on the side of my local bus... other wise, it will tank in theathers simply because the masses just don't get how f&cking awesome it will be... because it's PERFECT.

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, dizman said:

According to IMDB it's set for a December 21st release. 

Crap.  Wiki needs to be updated I guess, thought it was 20Jul.  Figured it should be finished by now.

On 12/28/2017 at 1:01 AM, TehPW said:

Random thoughts/questions:

1) Is there a Japanese/Overseas version of the A:BA trailer?

2) What is the typical Japanese opinion of the upcoming 2018 film?

lots of comments about eyes too big

Edited by Bariaburu Faita
inaccuracy

They're pushing the love story hard in the trailer, and the music reinforces the tone, with only a glimpse of the violence. As TehPW stated earlier, it looks like they're trying to appeal to a female audience with this trailer. But, trailers are often deceiving, and given the very violent nature of the anime, I'm guessing they're holding back.

Cameron's had a long time to think about how he wanted to do this movie, and Robert Rodriguez has done his fair share of gritty violent movies, so I think this is an example of early trailer misdirection. Hoping in the end they'll go for an R rating and realize the film as close to its roots as possible.

So it's been radio silence since the trailer came out? What exactly was the justification for delaying release until Dec again?