What Name?

Zinjo

I'm not sure what Macross would be without the title, but I never did like the "Super Dimension Fortress" thing, even after all these years. I'm really glad they dropped it for subsequent shows.

Actually, most japanese anime could go without these overly descriptive, pretentious titles. I don't mind weird (Cowboy Bebop, anyone?) but silliness like Super Dimension Fortress Macross or Neon Genesis Evangelion or Martian Successor Nadesico. These titles mean nothing to me before I see the show and once I do understand the title, it's always a disappointment. Take A Clockwork Orange, or The Matrix, or The Shawshank Redemption and compare. Once you understand what the title means, you're thrilled with revelation and the cleverness of the strange title. Once you know what Super Dimension Fortress Macross means, it's just the title of the spaceship; big deal! Is it an appropriate title given the context of the show? Yes. Is it a good title? Absolutely not, especially given how completely nonsensical it is to anyone who hasn't seen the show and how irritatingly burdensome it is to speak or write for those who have (acronyms not withstanding).

Yup, this is MacrossWorld, alright :):lol:

Edited by Mr March

I'm not sure what Macross would be without the title, but I never did like the "Super Dimension Fortress" thing, even after all these years. I'm really glad they dropped it for subsequent shows.

Actually, most japanese anime could go without these overly descriptive, pretentious titles. I don't mind weird (Cowboy Bebop, anyone?) but silliness like Super Dimension Fortress Macross or Neon Genesis Evangelion or Martian Successor Nadesico. These titles mean nothing to me before I see the show and once I do understand the title, it's always a disappointment. Take A Clockwork Orange, or The Matrix, or The Shawshank Redemption and compare. Once you understand what the title means, you're thrilled with revelation and the cleverness of the strange title. Once you know what Super Dimension Fortress Macross means, it's just the title of the spaceship; big deal! Is it an appropriate title given the context of the show? Yes. Is it a good title? Absolutely not, especially given how completely nonsensical it is to anyone who hasn't seen the show and how irritatingly burdensome it is to speak or write for those who have (acronyms not withstanding).

Well if you haven't figured out Cowboy Bebop [don't know if you have seen it or not], Bebop is the name of the ship and bounty hunters are called Cowboys.

That' is my point. Macross refers to the ship, but if you couldn't use the name, how would you title, Mac Zero, Mac Plus, Mac 7, or Mac Frontier for that matter.

Granted Mac 7 is probably the most appropriate title, since it's about the 7th of New Macross class emigration fleets.

Macross is used as the franchise name, like Star Wars and Star Trek, however if you had to loose that name how would you identify the franchise, or would you just not bother like the Appleseed movies?

Here's one : "Protoculture Legacy" (it's weak I know, but it's a name that does describe the universe).

Edited by Zinjo

It is anime, so I suspect without the word "Macross" there would have been something equally as meaningless but with more words :)

Seriously, I'm not sure. The title Super Dimension Fortress Macross is obviously following in the foot steps of Space Battleship Yamato. So perhaps the series could have been called Super Space Fortress!

All bickering aside, I've always felt the series would have been so much more aptly named if it was completely random like most anime titles. Scintillating Avacado Pencil or Venuvian Protege Jive or you know, something really cool like that.

Edited by Mr March

SDF Macross = Super Kick Ass Transforming Plane: Valkyrie

Macross DYRL = Valkyrie DYRL

Macross II = Alternate Space Time Universe Valkyrie II

Macross FB2012 = Valkyrie FB2012

Macross Plus = Valkyrie Plus

Macross 7 = Super Musical Sentai Fire Valkyrie

Macross Zero = Valkyrie Zero

Macross Frontier = Valkyrie Frontier

Why did that site have to shut down? It was so good. The content it had was great and the articles were very interesting :(

I totally agree, a really professional-level webzine the likes of which we haven't again. That said, I think nearly everyone on staff worked their way into the industry in some function, and why do for free what someone will pay you for?

my 2 euro cents...

SDF Macross = Super Dimension Culture Shock

Macross DYRL = Hikaru Get's the Girls

Macross II = Neon Genesis Roman Holiday

Macross FB2012 = Memoirs of a Galactic Idol

Macross Plus = Top Gun II

Macross 7 = Fire Bomber: The Rise of Basara

Macross Zero = Super Dimension Culture Shock (SDCS) Begins

Macross Frontier = ???...have to wait, see it first

- SDF Macross:-> Super Dimension Fighter: Destroid

- Macross FB2012 -> Minmay Documentary

- Macross II -> Metal Siren

- Macross Plus -> Top Gun the Anime

- Macross 7 ->Idols in Transforming Plane (hides...)

- Macross Zero -> The Mayan Project

I totally agree, a really professional-level webzine the likes of which we haven't again. That said, I think nearly everyone on staff worked their way into the industry in some function, and why do for free what someone will pay you for?

That'd be great if they moved on to bigger and better stuff. But I still lament that great site.

what is macross frontier? i've been out of the macross world for awhile.