Playing Japanese PS2 games

DestroidDefender

Your options for VFx and VFx 2 are:

-PS2 using breaker pro and fliptop or a mod chip

-PSP using popstation...there's a post somewhere here on how to do it

-PC using an emulator. VFX sucks but VFX2 is very fun. Works best if you have the little adaptor that allows you to use a ps2 controller on your PC. They can be had at fry's electronics for about $10.

Your options for VFx and VFx 2 are:

-PS2 using breaker pro and fliptop or a mod chip

-PSP using popstation...there's a post somewhere here on how to do it

-PC using an emulator. VFX sucks but VFX2 is very fun. Works best if you have the little adaptor that allows you to use a ps2 controller on your PC. They can be had at fry's electronics for about $10.

Well, no Fry's electronics in Canada, but I'll have a look around.

Breaker Pro might be an option - if I can find a place that actually sells it. Finding a PS1 shouldn't be too hard.

I've had a bit or a "reccie" on the subject.

So to play import PS2 games like ACE I would need a modded PS2.

And to play import PS1 games like VFX I would need a PS2 and the "Breaker" software since the mod chips don't cover that.

Does that sound right?

Breaking a four-year lurk to reply since I have direct experience: I can play VF-X2 on my modded PS2. If your PS2 can play Japanese PS2 games, it shouldn't have a problem with PS1 games unless the mod chip you get is incredibly sub-par.

Well, no Fry's electronics in Canada, but I'll have a look around.

Breaker Pro might be an option - if I can find a place that actually sells it. Finding a PS1 shouldn't be too hard.

Hey I was in Toronto and Sarnia recently why not try Future Shop?

First, Fry's Electronics has a website you can order from.

Second, if you go to modchip.com or ps3owns.com and check the links you should be able to find breaker pro. Most of the shops that sell swap magic sell breaker pro. The fliptop sight might work too. I think its fliptop.com

Third, not all of the ps2 modchips will play ps1 imports. Swap magic will not either.

Last, a PS2 plus a fliptop ($20) or slide card ($20, but may wreck your tray motor) will allow you to play almost all of the PS2 games. If it will fit on a regular DVD it will play using either swap magic 3.6. Sometime you have to combine it with the cogswap loader (freeware). Dual layer DVD games need to be ripped down like god of war 1 and 2.

Also, it is possible to make your ps2 into a fliptop with out buying one. My brother-in-law simply takes the entire top cover and tray cover off to do the swap with swap magic.

I can attest that Ace and Ace2 will play with swap magic 3.6 as I have played them this way.

Hey I was in Toronto and Sarnia recently why not try Future Shop?

Future Shop are good if you want the same thing as everybody else. If they can't sell a whole skid of something they don't have it. I'll look next time i'm in there, but they are unlikely to have a specialized PS2 => PC adaptor.

I have found a Canadian source for modchips. I think I'm going to go the modded ps2 route. PS2s are relatively cheap as are mod kits. But It's a challenge to sort out the different models.

UPDATE: The mod chip I was looking at includes this in it's description: In its factory default state MODCHIP is programmed with the official bios which only supports booting homebrew software, not imports or backups. To enable booting of these you must program your MODCHIP with 3rd party flash content. For more information please see the FAQ’s and Guides forum at... but there's nothing there. Now I'm not modding a PS2 without knowing ahead of time I'll be able use import games.

Anybody know a Modchip that for sure plays PS1 and PS2 imports?

Edited by DestroidDefender

Future Shop are good if you want the same thing as everybody else. If they can't sell a whole skid of something they don't have it. I'll look next time i'm in there, but they are unlikely to have a specialized PS2 => PC adaptor.

This site that has one.

http://www.keepgaming.com/ps2/NXPSN64USBAD.htm

Most of the "where to get" questions have been answered already, but if you're asking the same questions I asked when I first got into import gaming (on CD systems, heh heh) then maybe this can help. :)

I know a lot of people who are into the flip-top stuff, but honestly, if you're considering playing import games, go for a modchip. It kinda sucks to ship your system out for a week or so and it makes some people jumpy to think that someone else might rip them off, but it's worth it to have the peace-of-mind to not have to have a fight with your system every time you want to play a non-local game. I had my PS2 modded a few years ago and not once have I had an issue with backup, import, local, or PS1 games of any kind. On the other hand, I've known a few guys who have wrecked their PS2 laser eyes swapping stuff.