To add decals or not to add..

rewooh

Well i'm waiting for my first 1/48 to come in, which is the low viz. Now, i never thought of putting on the stickers, in fear that i'd put it on wrong, just to own the unapplied sticker sheet, and so the market value doens't go down.

but i see standard sticker sheets available on sale now..and i wondering if its a good idea to do it. I think i'd be fine with no stickers, but with stickers looks really good. so i had a couple of quesitons.

1) will the sticker leave a nasty residue on the valk?

2) will the paint be affected by it at all?

3) If i were to do it, can someone give me tips on how to do them?

4) It does come with instructions on where to put them, right? (i've never seen a yamayo 1/48 in person yet, i can't wait!!!!!!)

thanks.

Answers (somewhat) to yer ?s:

1. & 2. - ???

3. - tips - buy the aftermarket sticker sheets from either anasazi37 or takatoys. I've bought from both and their products are light years ahead of the OE stickers.

4. the yamato booklet does have a good sticker placement guide to go by.

You've just missed out on the recent anasazi37 sticker/decal offering (deadline was the 15th) but if you can wait till the next time around when he'll offer them again. Or just order some from takatoys - his offerings are just as good.

edit:

go here TakaToys 1/48 Sticker Review for an excellent review by Hurin

Edited by vf1_soulja

for question 1, i wanted to know if the stickers would leave so sticky residue on the toy itself, to make it look yucky.

and for question 2, i was wondering if the sticker would damage the paint at all. It may be a dumb question, but for a 165 dollar toy, i'm gonna be careful..

i'll prolly look into takatoy's thing on TMP.

1. I use micro sol for the the decals to place them, and if you use that again later it would release the declas off the plastic. I doubt they would hurt the paint job, but I could be wrong. Some people have some old toys and when they take off the stickers it leaves a white mark while the rest of the area may be yellow. Also there isn't a sticky residue after taking off the decals. If there is you can just wipe it right off with some water.

Sorry this is a little off the topic But does any body know if its okay to use tamiya wax. would it mess up the vintage of the yamato. And is it a good idea to apply the wax to the yamie before or after the decals?? :blink:

thanks

:D

it's basically fancy water for transfers :lol:

1. even with stickers... a little goo-gone, a paper towel, and there is no residue.

2 I will par-a-phrase goldenboy_forever and point out that decals will block light from the surface of a toy so any color fading due to sunlight will not occur... which leads to some pretty messed up looking contrasts on, say, a mustard yellow jetfire. As long as you apply decals/stickers properly... ie don't use super glue... you shouldn't have to worry. In 20 years when the decals fall off and you can see the sun damage you can always get reprint decals and cover up the difference :rolleyes:

oh yeah... goldenboy_forever... I can't help but think that wax would have to come after decals... just like on surf boards... else the decals don't really stick that well. A wax rather than a clear coat? Let us know how it works out.

1. even with stickers... a little goo-gone, a paper towel, and there is no residue.

2 I will par-a-phrase goldenboy_forever and point out that decals will block light from the surface of a toy so any color fading due to sunlight will not occur... which leads to some pretty messed up looking contrasts on, say, a mustard yellow jetfire. As long as you apply decals/stickers properly... ie don't use super glue... you shouldn't have to worry. In 20 years when the decals fall off and you can see the sun damage you can always get reprint decals and cover up the difference :rolleyes:

oh yeah... goldenboy_forever... I can't help but think that wax would have to come after decals... just like on surf boards... else the decals don't really stick that well. A wax rather than a clear coat? Let us know how it works out.

what if you keep it out the sun?

hiding from the sun will definately slow it down to the point where you might not notice in your lifetime, but it still happens. Cave painting that have never seen the sun have faded with time... thats life. Just don't leave it on your dashboard on a sunny day etc... you don't have to be super anal about the ocasional time you walk by a window with it though... it's not a vampire :)

hiding from the sun will definately slow it down to the point where you might not notice in your lifetime, but it still happens. Cave painting that have never seen the sun have faded with time... thats life. Just don't leave it on your dashboard on a sunny day etc... you don't have to be super anal about the ocasional time you walk by a window with it though... it's not a vampire :)

for now, my valks will be in my basement so it shouldn't be too exposed.

i'll most likely move it from the original spot i wanted to put it (display case next to the window :rolleyes: )

i'll probably find a nifty spot for it then.

you guys sold me.

Comparing the two (takatoys and the other dude) i think i'll take the other dude's ones. I look prettier and more organized. ill have to wait a month or so prolly tho...but no rush. i need to buy the valks first :p