Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

I think we all need to cut back and stop dissecting the trailer. :p

The VF transformation looks tight though, it just magnetizes itself together. That's something new, oh boy Shoji Kawomari I'm loving the series already.

But when he also brought redid some of the megaroad designs from Flashback, that was a praise towards the old school fans and by my guess he is not letting go of it yet. (Even though he did confirm it, it just feels like he isn't done with it.)

Call it up with all the hype and what not, this series is going to be special. :)

Edit: What is the name of the song in the trailer?

be quit dean leave this one to the true macross fans your saying that because its not another THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUSHI SUZUMIYA. And you dont have that

special tingly feeling that we macross fans have when see a new macross anime its like flying in fighter jet for the first time and macross gets us close to that special moment. I am saying this only because I am your older brother and that I just love macross more than you do :lol:

Just wondering what the yellow and black markings are that appear on the VF-25's nose and left wing (see attached pics).

This is the first time we have seen these type of markings on a VF.

My theory is it may denote some type of new system.

Graham

unfortunately, it seems like a logo

post-5853-1194855878_thumb.jpg

logo is cool, I was thinking they were sensors for mock weapons training.

Placement is usualy where the U.N. Spacy kite always resides, so being a logo isn't too surprising. On the issue of the VF-17, while it could definately be just an upgraded 17, it does have enough changes to be a whole new fighter. It's at least as different from a VF-17 as a VF-5000 is from a VF-1.

Gah, I made the mistake of reading the comments. Someone actually complimented the animation, but couldn't see how it was related to Macross. But ja, I'm glad that never got made, and Frontier is looking so promising.

Is the trailer downloadable & what's the link?

http://www.macross.co.jp/contents/special/...11001/movie.flv

BTW, there are some info about Sheryl

http://news22.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/moeplus/1194871173/1-100

その「フロンティア」船団に、近隣の「マクロス・ギャラクシー」

船団出身のアイドル・シンガー「シェリル・ノーム」がコンサートのために来艦。シェリルは

銀河ネットワークのヒットチャートで常に上位にランクインする誇り高きトップ・アイドルである。

Sheryl Nome is a Galaxy Network Rank usual TOP IDOL on Macross Galaxy.

Galaxy is Macross Frontier fleet's neighborhood fleet.

SO, we can see "銀河歌姬来艦"

BUT, Parallel two fleets(船団)???

Edited by kresphy

I’ve been studying the new VF-17 pics over the weekend and the changed appearance is definitely not just due to it being in CG as opposed to traditional cell animation, as somebody suggested earlier in the thread.

That was me, but I actually suggested the changes were due to BOTH conversion to a CG model AND deliberate stylistic changes, as seen on page 53. I also noted the apparent difference in the rear wing edge in my response to azrael on page 54 :)

They are actually Space pirates that have separated, that is why they are not using the kite symbol, any more.

just a guess...

Space pirates, poachers (ala D7), non-UN independant planet forces, anti-Un forces, are all possibilities at this stage.

Graham

That was me, but I actually suggested the changes were due to BOTH conversion to a CG model AND deliberate stylistic changes, as seen on page 53. I also noted the apparent difference in the rear wing edge in my response to azrael on page 54 :)

Sorry, I just couldn't buy that theory that just beacuse something is animated in CG instead of cell it would change so radically in apperance. Give the animators credit, if they want to animate a VF-17D in CG, it IS going to look like a VF-17D.

Graham

The problem with space bugs as the opposition is that you won't get any of that old dynamic of ace vs ace ala Max vs Miria and you'll miss the great villainous schemes ala Kamjin. All you get is basically a monster movie, with a majority of the dialogue centering on how to fight the monster and reacting to the monster when it goes on a rampage. Basically, they'll be gutting a lot of possible stories and dialogue since now you only have one side doing the talking and can only show one viewpoint. Remember in the original series, they often showed what was going on in the back scenes from the Zentradi side.

Even Mospeada eventually had the Refless, Solzie, and Battlar to provide that somewhat. Gunbuster not only did great, it excelled, in spite of that - although not every anime can come close to being a Gunbuster. Evangelion also did fine, but again if the series writer isn't up to task to shore up his end, it could get very predictable very quickly.

Sorry, I just couldn't buy that theory that just beacuse something is animated in CG instead of cell it would change so radically in apperance. Give the animators credit, if they want to animate a VF-17D in CG, it IS going to look like a VF-17D.

Graham

Well sometimes give has to take place from the designers POV because it turns out to be an ugly model in 3D when it's a true transfer from 2d to 3D. But most of the time if it's a good design it won't change.

Interesting hearing about 2 fleets. Maybe both fleets were sent in the same direction because of a possibly high concentration of habital planets OR something happened that they need to merge the fleets together. But multiple fleets aren't new because of M7 having 4-5 different fleets. But this does help to explain why the intro had so many colony ships!

Graham

My observation was in no way a slight against anyone, least of all the CG artists working on a Macross production and I resent the implication. Personally, after years of seeing the VF-1 Battroid converted into both numerous plastic and CG models, I would think the physical limitations of a static 3D model trying to duplicate the dynamic proportions of the Valkyrie line art would be more than apparent. Nonetheless, in my opinion one interpretation of the nature of the "VF-17" changes seen in the Macross Frontier trailer is as good as another at this point.

i can finally post in this thread (i can't log on to macrossworld on my home pc). yeah, it's sweet to see a modified vf-17 and that color scheme looks like the color scheme from max's VF-22!!(powder blue with orange canopy) the VF-25 looks like it has a Max scheme as well. animation looks great, but i still hate the idea of space monsters as an enemy. i'd much rather have a villain that is a character with personality and dialogue. and an enemy military with military mecha. oh well. the animation still looks great.

i can finally post in this thread (i can't log on to macrossworld on my home pc). yeah, it's sweet to see a modified vf-17 and that color scheme looks like the color scheme from max's VF-22!!(powder blue with orange canopy) the VF-25 looks like it has a Max scheme as well. animation looks great, but i still hate the idea of space monsters as an enemy. i'd much rather have a villain that is a character with personality and dialogue. and an enemy military with military mecha. oh well. the animation still looks great.

I agree, but who knows we don't know the full scoop on this series yet so there still could be a possibility of their being a strong villain like enemy who doesn't just say RAWR in your face.

その「フロンティア」船団に、近隣の「マクロス・ギャラクシー」

船団出身のアイドル・シンガー「シェリル・ノーム」がコンサートのために来艦。シェリルは

銀河ネットワークのヒットチャートで常に上位にランクインする誇り高きトップ・アイドルである。

Sheryl Nome is a Galaxy Network Rank usual TOP IDOL on Macross Galaxy.

Galaxy is Macross Frontier fleet's neighborhood fleet.

SO, we can see "銀河歌姬来艦"

Please be very careful about posting info from the 2ch boards. The 2ch boards have a habit of posting rumor information.

Thanks for the new info Kresphy. Two fleets, now that is interesting. Perhaps the VF-17s belong to the Galaxy fleet and the VF-25s to the Frontier fleet?

Graham

From the sounds of it, she's on tour, passing through fleets.

I don't know about you guys but watching the trailer got me all fired up for the new series. I am happy that they are going for the non-"let's-hold-hands-and-hug-trees-while-singing-kumbaya" route this time. It looks fairly serious this time and I hope they don't belittle the military like they did in M7.

I mean no offense to M7 fans cuz I'm a M7 fan myself. But this time the trailer looks really dang good.

I don't know about you guys but watching the trailer got me all fired up for the new series. I am happy that they are going for the non-"let's-hold-hands-and-hug-trees-while-singing-kumbaya" route this time. It looks fairly serious this time and I hope they don't belittle the military like they did in M7.

I mean no offense to M7 fans cuz I'm a M7 fan myself. But this time the trailer looks really dang good.

My fellow u.n spacey candidates I just wanted to let you guys know that I am making a list of people who want a list of the macross frontier high school flight school emblem, this will explain eveything macross frontier patch I have to do this its so cool, god I cant belive I am geting a tatto out of this ^_^

animation looks great, but i still hate the idea of space monsters as an enemy. i'd much rather have a villain that is a character with personality and dialogue. and an enemy military with military mecha. oh well. the animation still looks great.

There's always a chance that the monsters aren't acting alone, or could also possibly possess human or near-human intelligence.

I don't know if anyone noticed this, I actually noticed it a while ago but was too lazy to get a screen cap, but since I saw someone else posted the same image

you can notice the patch on the arm also says '25', do that Sempai looking dude, in the back there's also a dude with a flight jacket with the same '25' patch on the arm, so I think the VF-25 is more of an elite valkyrie rather than a student one

post-4448-1194925185_thumb.jpg

I don't know if anyone noticed this, I actually noticed it a while ago but was too lazy to get a screen cap, but since I saw someone else posted the same image

you can notice the patch on the arm also says '25', do that Sempai looking dude, in the back there's also a dude with a flight jacket with the same '25' patch on the arm, so I think the VF-25 is more of an elite valkyrie rather than a student one

Well it's that normally where the squadron patch is at? :huh:

Please be very careful about posting info from the 2ch boards. The 2ch boards have a habit of posting rumor information.

From the sounds of it, she's on tour, passing through fleets.

There is real Macross Galaxy Fleet!!!

Early update

===============================================

Jul.9, 2007

The New Chronicle from TAF2007

http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~macross/taf2007.html

A.D.1995年

未知の時空震によって、銀河系の時間軸が複数に分岐。

07070901.jpg

A.D.20XX年

居住可能な惑星を求め、銀河の各方面に向かいマクロス・ギャラクシー船団、マクロス・フロンティア等、多数船団が航行中。

07070902.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

A.D.1995,The Galaxy Time Coordinates to be changed with unknown spatial-temporal shaking.

A.D.20XX,Many fleet such as The Macross Galaxy Fleet and The Macross Frontier is sailing in Galaxy, to seek the possible residence planet.

Edited by kresphy

Though the VF-1 was inspired by the F/A-18 and F-111, the VF-25 takes even more inspiration and influence from those 2 designs. Add vertical stab placement similar to the YF-19, similar nose/LERXes to the SV-51, and this plane ends up looking like a YF-23 with swing wings in a way(towards the back). I like the design. Less VF-1 similarities than the VF-0 and it looks like its a fast one. It would be interesting if it wasn't the valkyrie used a lot towards the end(what if the main character's gets trashed and he gets a new valk?). Already I am excited at Bandai making a Soulspec VF-25, or Yamato making a 1/60 one for under $100.

I have a feeling this is not the only new valk we will see. Can't wait to see more of the 17.