Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

Also want to see what the K-man will do up for armour and Fp's for this bad girl.

I am really excited by the VF-25 design. It's yummy.

I wish the FP would also get a retro treatment. All FP after the VF-1 have gotten dinkier and dinkier (yes, I know, tecnology... but the old ones looked cooler). Call the extra bulk mini Macross cannons, ninja hood ornaments or whatever :p

Now what would be really good is a Vf-17 in GBP style armor,

If im correct in M7 they had the plans of the 19 sent to them, now considering they are (if our tranlated info is correct) near the center of the Galaxy. If the information was sent via earth or even the nearest colony ship. It could take years to get there. Even considering the posibility of FTL coms. With that in mind, these colonies are self autonomus with only the original U.N S military guidelines and standard democracy. So whats to say they just played with the current designs of fighter they had and adapted them for their own needs. Afterall they`ll have a factory ship and be looking out for raw materials on the way, and we all know how the Japanese love to recyle. Im also likeing the idea of micron sized power armor. Even if its just a load lifter like in Aliens it could still be "fun"

Edited by big F

Just wondering what the yellow and black markings are that appear on the VF-25's nose and left wing (see attached pics).

This is the first time we have seen these type of markings on a VF.

My theory is it may denote some type of new system.

Graham

post-11-1194791929_thumb.jpg

post-11-1194791968_thumb.jpg

eugimon

That's not a bad theory. Also, many different fleets were shown to have different variable fighters such as the VF-14s of the Megaroad 13 fleet just two years prior to the events of Macross 7. This fleet might just have a different fighter complement.

azrael

Yeah, I'm going to stick with my theory for now. Might turn out differently once we actually see Macross Frontier, but I think it makes the most sense given the context.

Sumdumgai

Hmm, I think that might be stretching it a bit. The way animation works/doesn't work can often make it very hard to distinguish between human and mechanical when the mechanical is so human shaped. This is one of the reasons I love mecha that are clearly mechanical in design and can't be humanoid because of their shape. Digressing, I think those are just gloves he's wearing and the animation is styled such that you might think otherwise without the context of the scene. Just a guess.

Big F

I really doubt there is such a thing as a VF-17 Armor System. The VF-17 is already officially designated as a Heavy Battroid and given the Nightmare weighs several tons more than the other variable fighters I'd say it's already more heavily armored.

Graham

Well, the yellow panels are in the same area as the usual sensor systems on other variable fighters. My guess is it's something similar, just done differently (ie, in a more advanced way which is smaller and less bulky since it's internalized).

Seeing as how Miyatake won't be working on this series, I don't have much hope for quality designs for any capital ships. What happened to the pivotal role of the main ship in Macross? In SDFM, the survivors looked at the Macross as a source of inspiration and hope, and the ship had just as big a part in the series as the Valkryies. Macross series of late have lacked that. Sure, you had the Battle 7 and City 7 in Macross 7, but people certainly didn't think of it as anything amazing. It wasn't iconic. The Macross was iconic to the people in the original series and even as far as in Plus and Seven. Hell, the series was named "Macross" not "Valkryie" the last time I remember.

If Miyatake isn't involved, it makes me think there won't be any enemy capital ships. Miyatake stands out to me as one of the few guys out there that design capital ships that don't look like uninspired. Izubuchi (Char's Counterattack) being the other guy.

Edited by Seven

I think that at the time of the trailer the design work hadn't been finished on the flagship. I do agree that it's gonna be potentially fugly since Miyatake hasn't been stated as having a hand in the show. But with the amount of Studio Nue influence in Japans mechanical design world we should see something familiar.

Though with the Bishie main male character.... :huh:

Just noticed that the pilot training school's design looks somewhat like the SDF-1 with the macross cannons and armd-1 hands. ;)

Btw are the character designs by Mikimoto cuz it doesn't look like it. I don't really like the main bishie's look. Its too yaoi especially with that scene smiling, half naked in sparkling sweat. <_<

I don't know who the character designer is, but it's a safe bet that it is not Mikimoto. Doubtful that it's Nobuteru Yuuki either.

I suspect that they might be trying to pull in female fans with Saotome Alto and Micheru Buranu. That Bobby Marugo doesn't help that suspicion. And Ozma, despite the scruffyness, looks like he could swing either way (especially with the earring). I have no idea if that Ruka Angeroo is a guy or a gal. :p

addition: Please don't make this to be a Gundam Wing-like series.

Edited by Sumdumgai

Yeah, the emo tranny as the main character isn't doing it for me. Even Yellow Dancer looked more manly. :lol: The rest of the character designs look rather typical and don't stand out too much to me. The hair styles and bright pastel hair colors are also a bit uninspired. It feels like they went bargain basement shopping for a character designer/animator. The CG and action scenes do look impressive though.

I want to like it, so maybe I can overlook all that if the story is great.

Yeah, so far the character design and fashion has me down but the valk looks great and the animation looks pretty nice too. If the story is good then I will overlook the bad fashion and annoying looking characters too. I am sure that I will watch it regardless of weather or not I like the first episode. By the end of the series we will see how it all turns out and if Macross Frontier will make it as a fan favorite. It will take a lot to be better than Zero or Plus, impossible to be better than SDFM, and pretty easy to one up mac7.

I forgot where I read it, but I recall reading somewhere that this character designer was the same one who did the hentai anime "Hitozuma Kasumi-san".

The style of character design doesn't bother me. The pretty-boy looks kind of sets me on edge, especially because Alto looks like a moody main character guy. :(

It has been a while since I visited this place and I just heard the good news.

Thanks for the pics, everyone!

Just skimmed the last few pages and it didn't seem like someone posted the obvious..

Sheryl Nome.. a relative of Sarah Nome (MacZERO) perhaps? ;)

It could be just a nod like Edgar's last name in MacZERO, but all-in-all I expect some more direct tie-ins with the story.

I suspect the "aliens" are related to Aiphos from MacZERO and perhaps the Protoculture civilization will finally gain some onscreen presence.

It has been a while since I visited this place and I just heard the good news.

Thanks for the pics, everyone!

Just skimmed the last few pages and it didn't seem like someone posted the obvious..

Sheryl Nome.. a relative of Sarah Nome (MacZERO) perhaps? ;)

It could be just a nod like Edgar's last name in MacZERO, but all-in-all I expect some more direct tie-ins with the story.

I suspect the "aliens" are related to Aiphos from MacZERO and perhaps the Protoculture civilization will finally gain some onscreen presence.

Sarah Nome huh...so the Mayans did survive all those years. :lol: (ok ok...mayan-like indigenous ppl)

Another note on the character designs, they don't particularly look like Leiji Mastumoto's characters, but I do kinda get a Space Battleship Yamato vibe from them especially Sheryl Nome. Can't quite place it.

I'm really glad that they decided to make this a flight school academy setting. I remembered myself and various others drafting this idea when discussing what the next Macross series should be about. Now i'm just waiting to see if the Macross Frontier fleet can gattai into a giganormous mecha. :lol:

I seriously doubt that this is a human size powered suit.

My bet is also on a battroid training simulator, or a new method of controlling the arms in battroid and Gerwalk modes.

Perhaps, there is another possibility.

I've seen some deep diving suits (ADS) require "joystick like controls" in order to manipulate the system while under water.

I would surmise that Zentraedi powered armored suits worked on a similar principle, which might account for their uncanny mobility during the series.

This is not new, but it's an interesting application to variable fighters. Starting with the YF-21, future variable fighters have begun to take on a lot of Zentraedi design.

This is interesting.

Just wondering what the yellow and black markings are that appear on the VF-25's nose and left wing (see attached pics).

This is the first time we have seen these type of markings on a VF.

My theory is it may denote some type of new system.

Graham

That, or they could simply be test or trainer markings on a jet. Small yellow and black striped hexagonal markings are definitely more visually interesting than say... the data collection markings on the CID: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ID_slapdown.jpg

Call it a gut feeling, but I’m pretty certain that the VF-25 is going to display some new capabilities that we haven’t seen before.

Maybe it will be an internal fold booster or miniaturized externally-mounted multi-use fold booster or some improved type of pin-point/omni-directional barrier system or perhaps even a new type of melee weapon (looks like that would be useful against the bugs).

At the very least, I’m hoping the new gunpod will be a rail gun. You would think that by the 2070s’ the technology would be advanced enough to move away from traditional chemical propellant for the gunpod ammo.

Graham

That new gunpod it has looks mean as hell. It really reminds me of the VF-11 Protect Armor gunpod. In the short instant we see it, it's either ejecting the magazine which is mounted underneath the barrels (instead of the top like the VF-11's gunpod), or it's opening up for something...

New tricks would be good. :) Something to make us go "oooh" and "aaah" about. :D

Call it a gut feeling, but I’m pretty certain that the VF-25 is going to display some new capabilities that we haven’t seen before.

Maybe it will be an internal fold booster or miniaturized externally-mounted multi-use fold booster or some improved type of pin-point/omni-directional barrier system or perhaps even a new type of melee weapon (looks like that would be useful against the bugs).

At the very least, I’m hoping the new gunpod will be a rail gun. You would think that by the 2070s’ the technology would be advanced enough to move away from traditional chemical propellant for the gunpod ammo.

Graham

No No... graham they got to keep the gun pod, Its like war without rifles you need it to keep some realism. If look very closely you can see the gun pod being taken apart and you can see the three barrels - trust me on this

Edited by deadghost

I think we all need to cut back and stop dissecting the trailer. :p

The VF transformation looks tight though, it just magnetizes itself together. That's something new, oh boy Shoji Kawomari I'm loving the series already.

But when he also brought redid some of the megaroad designs from Flashback, that was a praise towards the old school fans and by my guess he is not letting go of it yet. (Even though he did confirm it, it just feels like he isn't done with it.)

Call it up with all the hype and what not, this series is going to be special. :)

Edit: What is the name of the song in the trailer?

Edited by Ishimaru

If look very closely you can see the gun pod being taken apart and you can see the three barrels - trust me on this

Anybody capture that image of the gunpod being taken apart showing the three barrels?

I'm not saying get rid of the gunpod, just make it a rapid fire railgun gunpod. Advantages of higher ammo capacity and increased velocity/penetration.

Graham

Graham

They had better come out with something after that many years as a space-faring race. Omni-directional barrier seems the way to go! Maybe they should have Gradius-like unmanned drones too. ;)

I’ve been studying the new VF-17 pics over the weekend and the changed appearance is definitely not just due to it being in CG as opposed to traditional cell animation, as somebody suggested earlier in the thread.

This is obviously a new variant, which for the moment, I am going to call the VF-17-Advanced.

So far, I note the following differences between the 2070 era VF-17-Advanced and the M7 era VF-17D/S: -

• Elongated and widened canopy, with smaller less obtrusive canopy framework and larger clear panels for improved pilot visibility.
  • Longer fighter nose, with a more rounded cross section, as opposed to the more diamond-shaped cross section of the VF-17D/S’s nose.
  • Possible deletion of the twin micro-missile launchers on the shoulders (they are not visible in the screen captures from the preview video).
  • Shorter redesigned barrels on the two cockpit/chest beam guns.
  • Possible slightly different shape wings, especially the trailing edge.
  • Wider rear-of-the-head nacelle. I hope this does not give us ugly ‘fat head’ syndrome in Battroid mode.
  • Definitely two hard points per wing for external ordnance. Possibly up to three per wing. From the somewhat blurry screen shots, the external ordnance appears to be the same as that carried by the VF-25.

Graham