Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

People have mentioned that maybe Macross Frontier will have a pilot OAV and followup series like Macross Plus and Macross 7. I think that boat has already sailed. If Macross Zero had been on schedule and a hit we would have seen another Macross TV seres by now. Since it didn't I think the creators behind the show have been casting around for new ideas. Apparently the whole concert and launch hype was a bit premature because they don't seem to have anything concrete yet to show us.

It sounds like Macross Frontier will be something like Macross 7. Me? I'd like to see something set during and after SW1 featuring Destroids and some new variants of the classic VF-1. I guess I'm old fashioned but I don't think the classics ever got enough screen time except for the hero Valkyries.

It sounds like Macross Frontier will be something like Macross 7. Me? I'd like to see something set during and after SW1 featuring Destroids and some new variants of the classic VF-1. I guess I'm old fashioned but I don't think the classics ever got enough screen time except for the hero Valkyries.

No more macross kids shows please! and I'm sorry to disagree pal but we don't need more vf-1 variants or redesigns.

I loved the poor VF-1A CF's battling the Regults on Macross Island in between the sky scrapers... want more of that.

Yes, more hard-thought CF battle goodness please. A 08th Gundam take would be really nice.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I loved the poor VF-1A CF's battling the Regults on Macross Island in between the sky scrapers... want more of that.

Yes, more hard-thought CF battle goodness please. A 08th Gundam take would be really nice.

Never cared for the pods myself...

I never meant them to bring back Regults...

But how you mean? What about when they were led by the Glaugs and bouncing/leap frogging towards the SDF... COOL.

Newer Regults would be cool.

They seemed too cheesy even back in the 80's.

The Glaugs were an improvement, but when compared with the Q-Rau and the other mecha introduced in DYRL and subsequent series' and games, they just seemed like a mostly ineffective weapons system, as opposed to even enhanced body armor for the Zentreadi foot soldier... You cram a giant soldier into a sardine can and expect them to be an effective fighter in combat struck me as a bit of a stretch.

I understand the whole, "surprise" aspect in the original series would have been subverted, but now it stirkes me as full of cheese.

I remember reading that the whole point of the Battle Pods (specifically, the Reguld units) was to give the average foot soldier more firepower and protection. In reality, that's exactly what they do. You can't harm the Zentradi soldier inside unless you possess anti-mecha weaponry and they have a large number of guns compared to just the rifle of the infantry. The units were also really cheap so they could be built for every Zentradi soldier. The Regulds are basically a way to mechanize every infantry unit in the Zentradi military.

But I agree they would be hard to pilot. The cramped quarters of the cockpit area would be terrible to operate. They have very little in the way of versatility and can't interact with their environment much. The Reguld is almost the only Zentradi mecha that can't operate in the atmosphere. Aside from a cheap method for mechanizing your entire army, the Regulds just aren't that useful for anything else.

I think the purpose is a lot simpler than that. I think Nue just wanted to combine an AT-AT iwth a Ball (Gundam), and that's exactly what they did :)

Did they have the Gundam ball back in MS Gundam (the first series)? :blink:

I would say "stay on topic guys", but's it's not like we have a lot to discuss is it? :(

...................Drums fingers impatiently on table while waiting for 2009...................... <_<

Graham

:lol:

Edited by Zinjo

I love my Balls... C and K alike. I love the absurd desperation that leads to slapping a gun to a construction vehicle and sending them out as fodder. And Ball pilot had to have been the worst possible job available in the EFSF.

Oh, god, this topics degenerated into talking about Gundam's balls.

Considering locking until we get some proper news.

Graham

I know how you feel.. everytime i see this bumped i think WOOHOO - NEWS and its more blah blah blah...

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wake me up when there are some screenshots or something Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by vermillion01

Nothing in Nov.'s issue of Newtype.

Well, aside from an extremely small ad for the 2nd Macross 7 rerelease set. There is a rather large, multipage article (ad?) for a couple of Sony BD players, and BD releases. Nope, nothing on HDD. I don't think that exists here in Japan...

What else were they going to do for a special 25 years anni.... atleast they did something. ><

Best way to celebrate Macross is going to a bar with your mates and girlfriends accompanied just like Roy, Hik, Claudia and Misa did.

Now, are we going to get a dvd release of the concert? :D Now that would be really nice for Macross fans.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hmm, info starting december? I hope they include a trailer or something in with the DYRL special edtition re-release!

THAT would be sweet!!

But it is consistent. Mac Zero was the 20th anniversary project and it didn't start coming out unti 2003...