Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

bleh, M7 happened, lets all move on. Fans will be dying from anuerisms if Kawamori tells us that M7 was ALSO a meta show... because that will mean a meta-character (myelene) will have been affected by the meta-movie (DYRL)... and that's just too bizzare.

How about this?

The space-time anomaly that split timelines puts SDF: Macross and Plus in one timeline; while Zero and M7 go the other way. (MII? Who even cares about MII?)

This way diehard M7 fans like Keith and friends can freely enjoy their own galactic whale wholesomeness as canon without being trolled, while the others can enjoy peace of mind over the fact that awesomely lame abhorrances like Hummingbirds never even existed in their timeline.

There you go, everyone is happy and we have a win-win situation.

Now we sit down at a table, and start dividing VF-X, VF-X2, and M3...

Actually, continuity is one thing that has bugged me for a while, across all the series. Which is canon history in the Macross universe, SDFM, or DYRL?

The reason I ask is because we see a sort of mixing between styles of equipment, mecha, and characters. While it makes sense to update things to look more futuristic than SDFM, it's confusing in a few cases, Exedore being one of them.

For instance, in the M7 episode where they have Basara dressed as Hikaru, he's got a DYRL flightsuit. Are they imitating the movie since that's what people in that generation remember? On the other hand, didn't Milia use her old SDFM flightsuit in a couple episodes?

In terms of flightsuits, the only ones without the big shoulder pads and extra arm/leg equipment are the original SDFM ones. Even Zero had the shoulder pads (which made very little sense to me.. they should've had modern combat gear :p). Are they trying to retroactively treat DYRL as canon?

Actually, continuity is one thing that has bugged me for a while, across all the series. Which is canon history in the Macross universe, SDFM, or DYRL?

From what I understand, both are technically canon. DYRL is a movie in the M7 story that is like our ww2 movies. The story of SDFM is canon, while the character designs from DYRL are the correct one.

<_< Considering that they are using teenage school/academy characters is worrying me that Macross 7 will end up like this spoof of Stargate that was shown in the 200 episode

From what I understand, both are technically canon. DYRL is a movie in the M7 story that is like our ww2 movies. The story of SDFM is canon, while the character designs from DYRL are the correct one.

Yeah the chronological explanation is that they used modern equipment while filming the movie, which is how the visual differences are explained, Exodol's head explanation is pretty lame IMO.

Aesthetically, SK has said that DYRL is how the mecha "should" have looked in SDFM, but time constraints and budget prevented that kind of detailed animation. So it is no surprise that all modern toys and model kits follow the DYRL design aesthetic...

Corrected.

What we will probably see is something much like how Mylene remembers Minmei with how the Frontier cast remembers Basara and Fire Bomber, heros and idols of another era.

The HW version will be a near complete remake even if they did use the original material. Heck, StarScream flipped through Gerwalk mode...

It'll be fansubbed and available for download within a few days of each airing, I would wager. Don't hold your breath on anything beyond that.

I doubt it. Remember the pre-Macross Zero talk? We had people saying they'd get something the day of release out and translated. Then it took months to get a decent sub. But that was released irregularly so it shouldn't be too bad this time. Although I'd hope for some Evil-Genius/Berserk like treatment I wouldn't expect it.

Who's to say the shoulders are not speakers? If the VF-19Kai can have speakers in it's shoulders, why not the VF-25 as well.

Bomba!

its comments like that that reminds me why there's a baseball bat in my car. :rolleyes: Edited by Wes