Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

The only sad thing is the lack of destroids. I know that they are useless, but if destroids are useless then you can just imagine how crap a tank or mobile armour is, and by cutting destroids out of the picture and not bring them back in some uber powerful form, then we are missing out on a huge section of potentially delicious mecha designs and battles.

At the very least please Kawamori, variable fastpacks, as many as the VF-11, if not more.

Hard to say about the destroids. Without Miyataki to design them, they'll definitely look different if they are included.

The idea that they are useless is a misnomer since they are mecha ground troops. It's like saying the tank is useless because there are Apache attack helicopters and Jets now!!

They serve a role, but the question is what role would they serve in a largely civilian fleet, considering their primary role is ground combat not so much fleet defence?

I've said before any destroid squads would most likely be deployed with Marine units, not necessarily an emigration fleet, however now there are 2 mecha designers to assist Kawamori so anything is possible... ^_^

Edited by Zinjo

I do give props to whoever can replicate their favorite mecha with legos though. But they aren't made for this kind of thing. Legos comes in kits that have a predetermined way of putting everything together.

I have to point out that's pretty far off the mark. Though much of LEGO is sold in kits today you can still get assorted buckets and it's all interchangeable. Secondly LEGO is used extensively in prototyping toys and models. I believe the transforming Konig VB6 Monster Destroid toy from VFX2 was first designed and built in LEGO before it was put into production.

I hope we see new destroids at Macross F. And a massive ground battle with them. Want to see destroids and troopers get into action.

I think destroids are not useless. Of course, at a colony fleet, valks almost get all the action. But as we see at Macross 7 (or at DYRL and Macross Saga) more then once enemy fighters break through the valks and entered inside of the colony ships and cities. Destroids would be a defense line at some strategic spots at these places. Main reactor area, airlock enterances, hangar door, etc... Also you can use for defending ships. As we saw at Macross Zero. You can place two destroids to protect bridge of the flag ship.

I hope we see new destroids at Macross F. And a massive ground battle with them. Want to see destroids and troopers get into action.

I think destroids are not useless. Of course, at a colony fleet, valks almost get all the action. But as we see at Macross 7 (or at DYRL and Macross Saga) more then once enemy fighters break through the valks and entered inside of the colony ships and cities. Destroids would be a defense line at some strategic spots at these places. Main reactor area, airlock enterances, hangar door, etc... Also you can use for defending ships. As we saw at Macross Zero. You can place two destroids to protect bridge of the flag ship.

More than likely it would be something more along the lines of the Pattroids from M7 rather than a full blown destroid.

I just had a thought. I'll probably be in the minority here, but I hope when the new series is released on disk that it is released on plain old DVD and not just BlueRay (or whatever the next gen disk format is). Or ideally released on DVD and BlueRay, which would be a win-win situaton for consumers.

As much as I love Macross, I really don't want to fork over a whole load of cash to upgrade my TV and movie player yet, just so I can watch Macross F in BlueRay or HD or whatever. I'm still quite happy with DVD.

Heck, there's no way my wife would ever approve the expenditure anyway unless my TV and DVD player were both to suffer sudden catastophic unreparable failure and a HD TV and next gen player suddenly dropped in cost to the cost of standard TVs and DVD players.

Graham

Amen to that.

Amen to that.

I agree also on a DVD release but isn't it still kind of soon, the serie hasn't been released yet and we are already discussing the format they will be selling the episodes? :huh: I guess it would all depend on which format is becoming popular there in the Japan market, we will probably even see lower quality bootleg DVDs produced from HD-DVD and Blu- if that demand is not satisfied.

Considering it most probably not have a release anytime soon in America i will be downloading the episodes as they become available and purchase a serie box set when ever it becomes available.Considering I use my computer to watch my anime I don't think there will be problem finding a subtitle patch for japanese DVDs when the time come.

Which is a gross generalisation. You're not speaking on behalf of all those that collect toys. You're manipulating non-existent facts to support your own argument.

I have to generalize. Why? Because I can't ask every single collector out there if they play with their toys or have them for display only. Some of the more serious collectors don't even take their toys out of the boxes. IMO there are two types of "collectors". One of them are the ones that collect for novelty and display purposes. Those are the serious ones. The other one simply want to have all the toys they can get and play with. Which one are you? How am I manipulating these so called "non-existent" facts? Is it because I said that most of you collectors only display and change poses once in a while instead of playing with them constantly? Well then I guess I was wrong to think you guys are serious. Is it not true that a highly detailed model is better suited for display purposes? If not then what is the point of having a model? To play with? I thought that is what toys are made for?

It just looks ugly cause you don't like the design. And it's a mecha that is capable of transforming. Not just a robot, or a fighter. Completely different.

Ahem. I recall a certain someone calling the Zeta's wave rider mode ugly. Oh could it be that it's ugly because you don't like the design?? And what exactly is the Zeta then if it's not a mecha capable of transforming?

And yes, Bandai is incapable of making a model kit that is better than a Yamato toy, because, well, it's a model and not a toy. Ever heard of not comparing apples and oranges? Other than their nutritional content?)

I'll give you that one. But let me ask this, do you think Bandai, with all of their modeling technology, is incapable of making a toy better than a Yamato toy?

It's called "multiple paint schemes." Why release a toy with ONE colour variant? Not a good way to get your money's worth in your investment.

Oh I know about the multiple paint schemes toys/ kits method of milking money out of consumers. But what about the unique personal paint schemes? I doubt that toy companies know exactly what you want.

You're making a lot of excuses for them. And if you think that the Air Master is the epitome of what Gundam Plamodels have to offer, then there is a problem.

Yes, I do make a lot of excuses for them. I am a Gundam/ Bandai fanboy right?? The Air Master is just an example of what a gundam would be like if it were to transform into a fighter. I never said it's the epitome of Gunpla because to be honest, the HG kits are POS.

Lol.. you didn't see this one did you? ;)VF-1S Really, that one was ridiculous, and shrinking things down really does help the strength. But as for them coming in kits with a pre-determined way of putting them together, I really have to disagree with you there, but, yep, it is getting off topic.

My main concern with Bandai kits was the polycap joints, but it's true, the kits I have seen are much older, so they've probably gotten better. Hopefully they'll give this same treatment to any Macross kits, and they'll have sturdy joints to hold them together. I'm not so worried about internal details, but I guess what it boils down to is that I hope they don't overdo it, and make it overly fragile/complex. Considering the size comparisons, they could probably do a 1/48th Valk easy, with roughly the same amount of material as the average PG Gundam. Bigger would be better in this case, since the plastic is light enough not to get too heavy, and the extra room will make the joints bigger and tougher.

That is very impressive. But do you really think that a purpose made kit of a giant VF-1 will have the same weight/ balance issues that you had? You don't believe that engineers would take the weight, CG in all modes, etc into account when designing parts?

agreed; curling up into fetal position and using your obscenely large shield to make up the rest of the body does not qualify as "transformation".

Lol. Obviously you have seen the transformation of the Zeta. The shield makes up only the nose and a small fraction of the underside. In fact, the transformation isn't that much different to that of a Valk. If you get the chance, I suggest you go take a look. But you probably won't. Lol. Oh and folding in half and having the legs and arms swing into place is any better?

Edited by badboy00z

For model kits we have this guy on here called captain america.

Other than that, nearly all of us play with our valkyries. Some play and display, some display, sure we are older but we want something that can be handled, not a hasegawa or something that is not made to be handled, but only converted to another form every now and then. If that were the case, the garage kits from SHE would have been in more demand than the Yamato valkyries, yet look who has the Yamatos here, and not the SHEs.

With regards to F, I hope we get news of who has the license(s) soon. Then we will have a better ideas of what can realistically come out. One thing to consider, is how hard it is for any company to track down Kawamori. We know Kawamori's approval is needed for releases. Which company had the easiest time working with him? Who had the hardest?

Takara is another big player to japan absent(thus far) from Macross. They also have much experience with transforming toys of collector calibre(masterpiece series, binaltech, et al), as well as being Bandai's biggest longtime rival. Their recent Masterpiece F-15 is a great design, which was designed by Kawamori. Could they be aiming for a Macross F license too? It would be interesting to see what they could come up with. Masterpiece Starscream is not a bad effort at all, for the first entry of a transforming jet in a series aimed at collectors. Though they have never had the Macross license, their expertise in transforming mecha toys, as well as them being 2nd only to Bandai, makes me think they could be a viable candidate for a license.

Bring on the PV VF-25! Any company that chooses to do so. I get a VF-2SS vibe from that thing.

For model kits we have this guy on here called captain america.

Other than that, nearly all of us play with our valkyries. Some play and display, some display, sure we are older but we want something that can be handled, not a hasegawa or something that is not made to be handled, but only converted to another form every now and then. If that were the case, the garage kits from SHE would have been in more demand than the Yamato valkyries, yet look who has the Yamatos here, and not the SHEs.

With regards to F, I hope we get news of who has the license(s) soon. Then we will have a better ideas of what can realistically come out. One thing to consider, is how hard it is for any company to track down Kawamori. We know Kawamori's approval is needed for releases. Which company had the easiest time working with him? Who had the hardest?

Takara is another big player to japan absent(thus far) from Macross. They also have much experience with transforming toys of collector calibre(masterpiece series, binaltech, et al), as well as being Bandai's biggest longtime rival. Their recent Masterpiece F-15 is a great design, which was designed by Kawamori. Could they be aiming for a Macross F license too? It would be interesting to see what they could come up with. Masterpiece Starscream is not a bad effort at all, for the first entry of a transforming jet in a series aimed at collectors. Though they have never had the Macross license, their expertise in transforming mecha toys, as well as them being 2nd only to Bandai, makes me think they could be a viable candidate for a license.

Bring on the PV VF-25! Any company that chooses to do so. I get a VF-2SS vibe from that thing.

Ahem... http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showforum=4 <_<

Thanks

In Macross, I think the Full Armoured VF has effectively replaced the destroid; especially when one considers the Full Armour VF-11. In addition to the fire power and armour, there's also commonality with other mecha, and the ability to dump the heavy stuff, and boost the manueverability, if need be.

Though, I'm not entirely convinced that the latest CM for Macross F is actually of a Full Armour. I'm still of the opinion that it's the next generation Super Parts.

Edited by sketchley

I also think that Destroids, with the exception of the variable VB-6 have effectively been rendered obsolete sometime after Space War 1. The only times we see Destroids post-Space War 1 are when they are used as targets in the New Edwards test facility (Destroid Monster getting blown up by the YF-19 in Macross Plus) and as carnvial attractions in Macross 7. Also, in Macross 7, it's obvious that prior to becoming carnival attractions, some of the destroids were converted for construction use, as shown by IIRC drill arms on some of them.

I tend to agree with Sketchley that the new option parts shown on the VF-25 are likely Super Parts (AKA FAST Packs) and not Full Armour. Or perhaps a hybrid FAST pack and light partial armor.

Graham

To Sketchley San and other Japanese Fans,

tonight, SK will show on NHK AnimeGiga. Maybe there is some news about Macross F~~~

If it is only Aquarion, I hate it~~~~

T T

11/21 水曜日 (火曜深夜) 午前0:00~0:39 [bS2]

11/21 水曜日 18:00~18:39 [bShi] 

So, did anybody see this? Any Macross F news?

Graham

Let's keep in mind that the designer of the destroids that appeared in Macross Zero is listed in the production staff for Macross F.

Umm... I could've swore that those were mere re-designs of existing designs.... :unsure: and frankly fans put out redesigns faster than hate mail. ^_^

We'll know more when we see more of the Capital ships and other mechanical designs.

I just had a thought. I'll probably be in the minority here, but I hope when the new series is released on disk that it is released on plain old DVD and not just BlueRay (or whatever the next gen disk format is). Or ideally released on DVD and BlueRay, which would be a win-win situaton for consumers.

As much as I love Macross, I really don't want to fork over a whole load of cash to upgrade my TV and movie player yet, just so I can watch Macross F in BlueRay or HD or whatever. I'm still quite happy with DVD.

Heck, there's no way my wife would ever approve the expenditure anyway unless my TV and DVD player were both to suffer sudden catastophic unreparable failure and a HD TV and next gen player suddenly dropped in cost to the cost of standard TVs and DVD players.

Graham

I don't think it'll be released in Blu-Ray or HD-DVD anytime soon. I think they'll wait until any of those formats gets enough momentum, and until the series is all out in regular DVDs to issue the whole thing again (including Ai Oboeteimasuka, Mac 7, etc) in high-def...

The reissues will not end until February with the Flashback DVD. If the series starts in or so January, I believe that the first DVD of Mac F will be released around March / April.

So, did anybody see this? Any Macross F news?

Graham

kresphy wrote:

SORRY, AnimeGiga have not Macross F info, ALL Aquarion!!!!

T T

edit: I had finished quoting this... and then I saw the screen captures :blink: HEY! a Macross F LOGO!

Edited by GGemini

Hey guys.

I've held my peace until now, but I'd like to share my thoughts on all this.

If this somehow gets me a nice, transformable, smaller-scale VF-1 toy, I'll be ecstatic. I hope Bandai or some other company (Not Yamato, please) makes a line of transformable valks -- the new valks, of course, and older valks. Maybe even valks like the VF-4 and VF-5000. A quality line of toys (like Spec of SOC) from a quality company. I'm not really happy with Yamato because the toys are so big and the plastic is so thin.

Second, what's up with Kawamori eliminating the other Macross designers from all of his projects? Is his career strategy to make sure that he himself is the "god" of Macross, instead of just the mecha designer? Macross 7 was so cool to me because Mikimoto and Miyataki were part of it. Without them, it won't seem like Macross to me (and yeah, I didn't like Macross Plus either). I don't find the new character designs to be particularly good.

I like the new valk! I hope to see more new valks, fast packs, and reaction armor. I'd hope for destroids, but without Miyatake, I don't care. Still, I hope we get some cool enemies in the style of Zentradi, and by that I mean the enemies should have their own aesthetic. The zentradi looked weird but cool. And they fought in cool looking MECHA! I gues that's what I really want. The supervision army would be perfect, so they're out of the question. :rolleyes:

As for what little bits of art and animation we've seen, I will say that the characters looks pretty angsty. I hope they turn out to be as likeable as Mylene, Gamlin, Hikaru, or Misa.

EDIT: One more thing. I hope the CG valks look like the fuchi/tachikomas from GitS:SAC. In other words, they would only be detectable as CG because of their perfect movement.

Edited by danth

I like the new logo. Is the main character the pilot of the blue/white trimmed VF-25? During the sequence post transformation, they show a pissed off pilot yell and the VF-25 starts firing upwards. That did not look like the main character.

Also, I haven't seen the side profile of the VF-25, but does it have horizontal stabilizers, or ventral fins on the side of the legs?

I like the new logo. Is the main character the pilot of the blue/white trimmed VF-25? During the sequence post transformation, they show a pissed off pilot yell and the VF-25 starts firing upwards. That did not look like the main character.

Also, I haven't seen the side profile of the VF-25, but does it have horizontal stabilizers, or ventral fins on the side of the legs?

So far there's been two clear pilot characters, the Roy substitute, and the bluehair guy. There's probably a third for the Hikaru-like scheme, but I don't know if we've seen him yet. Since the scene changed after the transformation though, I don't think the VF-25 firing upwards was the blue striped one. It may have been the yellow one. Looking at the pilot's helmet might give a clue, since we've seen two (maybe three) separate styles of flight gear.

What I wonder about is why so many styles of flight gear? There are three at least (the VF-171 DYRL looking suits, the yellow and black skull-type guy's suit, and the type of gear worn by blue-hair), and the Roy-substitute looks more like he's wearing an EVA plug suit than a Macross flight suit. Makes me wonder if he isn't some rogue element/pirate not affiliated with the UN... how they would get such good planes is beyond me though.. maybe they're special forces (Diamond force had different uniforms) ? Btw, I'm referring to the Newtype scan a few pages back. The red VF-25 in that shot also looks like it has a DYRL style pilot from the shoulder pads.

As for the VF-25, it has ventral fins on the legs like the VF-1, although they're slightly bigger, and look to be shaped similarly to the tail. I'd think of them as a hybrid between the VF-1 and SV-51, which had almost twin fins in the rear.

The VF-25 keeps looking more and more like a crazy blended version of every Valk ever made. I'm just glad they ditched the huge ankle cuffs from Mac7 in favor of something a little more streamlined. I can't wait for the line art for it to come out.

Edited by Chronocidal

Second, what's up with Kawamori eliminating the other Macross designers from all of his projects? Is his career strategy to make sure that he himself is the "god" of Macross, instead of just the mecha designer? Macross 7 was so cool to me because Mikimoto and Miyataki were part of it. Without them, it won't seem like Macross to me (and yeah, I didn't like Macross Plus either). I don't find the new character designs to be particularly good.

I think it's the opposite. More likely, everyone else is too busy/not interested in joining in. And Kawamori was never "just" mecha designer, it's my understanding that the majority of the original scenario was his.

Heh, I know they are very stylised letters, but to me it looks like "Flantier".......:D

Yeah, but you read it as "Frontier". :p

Looks like his appearance was more of his entire work with the "I hear you're working on a new Macross" at the end of his interview. *Yawn*

I think it's the opposite. More likely, everyone else is too busy/not interested in joining in. And Kawamori was never "just" mecha designer, it's my understanding that the majority of the original scenario was his.

Bingo. As much as I would love to see Mikimoto back or if Miyatake is brought in if he can, they do have other work to do. And Macross is practically Kawamori's baby so why should he not have control over it.