Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

I'm really hoping that we eventually get a 1/60 scale VF-25 and VF-171 from Yamato, as IMO they are the only company with the skill, experience and willingness to make stunningly beautiful and accurate Macross toys.

Bandai have little experience with Valks and also in the past little desire to put the effort into making decent Macross toys or models.

At worst from Bandai I think we will just see some sub-par model kits and low-grade toys. If we are lucky, maybe some HCM-Pros, but I doubt it.

Anyway, toy situation aside, I'm increadibly excited about the new show and liking everything I've seen so far.

Graham

Anyway, toy situation aside, I'm increadibly excited about the new show and liking everything I've seen so far.

Graham

The rational side of me says it's way too early to get excited from what little we have seen, but I can't help it! B))

Does anyone believe that it just might go the way of the original series and be popular enough to merit a few more episodes? 26 is a hell of a lot more than most of the stuff we got from Macross recently, but I can't help wishing for more!

Edited by kensei

Does anyone believe that it just might go the way of the original series and be popular enough to merit a few more episodes? 26 is a hell of a lot more than most of the stuff we got from Macross recently, but I can't help wishing for more!

Has it been confirmed that it's going to have a 26 ep run? I was hoping for a longer count.

26 seems to be the standard season in anime nowadays (with a few exceptions) and series seems to be very specifically planned for that amount of episodes. But, sometimes 26 just leaves you wanting more. On the other hand there are series' that run way too long. But, if MacF is planned for 26, i doubt they would deviate from it.

Should'nt the initial run be "25" episodes? - 25th anniversary, VF-25 etc....

Love the style so far, but i do have some M7 worries.. i like M7 but see it as an excusion from the macross norm.

The idea of the megaroad 1 turning up is great and hope they bring in some older charas not just as cameos but as regulars maybe later in the show.

Has there been any announcement on an airdate for the 25th "special" yet? I beleive it was mentioned (in translation) as this winter...

Has it been confirmed that it's going to have a 26 ep run? I was hoping for a longer count.

There really is no such thing as a "standard season in anime". For all we know, they may have decided to split the series into 2 seasons to milk it better.

Has there been any announcement on an airdate for the 25th "special" yet? I beleive it was mentioned (in translation) as this winter...

Nope sorry.

First of all Hi everybody.

I watched the trailer again. (4ooth times perhaps) I like characters. Specially a veteran, cool pilot like Roy again. And I like new boy. I am a fond of blue hair. (But I agree with the idea that pink ribbon is a little gay:))

I am from Turkey. So probably I2ll never watch it form TV. So I stuck at internet for it. Also I have to finish my military service during December 2007-December 2008. So I know everybody waiting for this series and wants to watch ist quick but I beg wait untill December 2008. I beg you :))

I like new VF-25. It is elegant. But transformation sequence is a little., how can I say, "complicated". It looks like for shouting as "Look! I have CG!" But everything asides ıt rocks. I am waiting for dogfights.

And is it Megaroad at 00:49 second at the trailer? Or at least Megaroad Class?

I think VF-17's are main frontline fighters and VF-25 is some kinde "elite" fighters for this era. By the way as I understand form the trailer this time fighters hangars ar at zero-g. I like that also. It is realistic.

NOTE: Mr March thanks for your website.

The funniest surprise would be if the Megaroad-01 actually did re-appaer. That'd be the ultimate Kawamori "gotchya!"

Say, where is Mari these days anyway....

LOL, True Dat!! Kawamori, "You remember all those times I said I was finished with the Megaroad? Well I changed my mind. Psyche!"

The new Fast packs are definitely inspired by the SV-51 boosters and I agree that they are clearly designed to transform with the fighter, which is logical if one wants maximum combat effectiveness in all modes. The classic fastpacks rested on the thruster "box" that flipped on top of the fusealge in the VF-1. The VF-25 doesn't seem to have such a thruster "box".

There seems to be a LOT of classic elements in this series, and I guess that is needed to "best" the original. The return of the fast packs, the space war opera theme, etc... Should be interesting at least.

If they changed the Kite with an eye to the Western market, they must already have a new name for the Franchise that isn't "Macross" (since HG has it trademarked, however in Canada a trademark can be challenged by those who own the "intellectual property" rites as they are considered the proper "owners" of such a trademark, but that is another discussion, in another thread.). With that in mind, the story may be a bit more Western or international in themes as opposed to Mac 7...

With a story close to the Galactic core you have so many variables to play with. This is where the greatest concentration of systems would be, where the cradle of Protoculture existed, where the most likely place you'd find remnant Zent, SA & PC forces.

Yes, we shall get the Megaroad 01. And Misa, Hikaru, and Minmay will have died going through the blackhole. :p We'll be getting 60-something year old Captain Miku Ichijo and the survivors of Megaroad 01 and their descendants.

I am serious that if the Megaroad 01 does appear (not in a flashback, but actually shows up in the 2070s) we won't be seeing Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay. Or at least not all three of them together. I mean how many of you want to see them as 80 year olds?

charger69 onu da izledim. Ama uzun versiyonu biraz daha doyurucu geliyor sanırım. Burada bir Türk görmek güzel. En azından halimi anlarsın:)

Maybe that Megaroad scene is a flashback. But if it is not actually I want to see Hikaru and Misa at 80 years old.

Edited by dara made

Watched the commercial and have to say I am prefering the VF-171 over the VF-17!!! Better lines & better overall design.

There does appear to be a City class colony ship bringing up the rear of the "pill" fleet.

The blowed up capital ship looks like a Begin Hill class military ship which may be the premise in bringing up a flight school squadron of kids into the fight, as the fleet's military base would have been destroyed along with their probable ability to build up additional fighter forces...

The fast packs are definitely attached to the wing root sections of the 25 like Marchman said and am truly digging the transforming GBP armor! Maybe we'll finally get the overdue armored GERWALK!! B))

Looking good so far!

They'd be able to draw from nearly 70+ years of history. Now whether or not Kawamori and crew use that to their advantage is up to them.

I truly don't see that happening. Both M2 and M7 only used the original Macross as an historical basis. The Big Head has firmly shown that M history doesn't need to be dealt upon and only the "here and now" only really matter for the story unless it's a required part of the story's background (m7's intro???).

------

Yeah there looks too be a City ship in the commercial as well.

NOTE: Mr March thanks for your website.

Welcome to Macross World dara made. Thank you so much for visiting my website and I'm glad you like it. It wouldn't be much of a website without the fans!

Zinjubba the MacFan

I think the armored GERWALK was a long time in coming as well, as I mention a few pages back. Now seeing a fully transformable armored Valkyrie, I think Kawamori was playing with the idea for quite a few years.

charger69

You're a very evil man :):lol:

While we can't be certain, it does appear to be an updated version of the VF-17, with major changes to the nose and canopy and also the addition of wing-mounted ordnance.

Graham

Very cool, thanks. The VF-17 probably is one of my favorite designs (probably because I'm a fan of the real-life plane its based on), so it's cool to see it getting updated and still used.

And I love the VF-25, so this is definitely shaping up nicely from that front.

Yes, we shall get the Megaroad 01. And Misa, Hikaru, and Minmay will have died going through the blackhole. :p We'll be getting 60-something year old Captain Miku Ichijo and the survivors of Megaroad 01 and their descendants.

I am serious that if the Megaroad 01 does appear (not in a flashback, but actually shows up in the 2070s) we won't be seeing Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay. Or at least not all three of them together. I mean how many of you want to see them as 80 year olds?

I 100% disagree. That's more like something that would happen in Robotech. Kawamori loves the characters to begin with, which is why they weren't continued in inane ways. To kill them off would be a slap in the face to everything that's already happened. If they did re-appear (which btw I doubt they will, I just said so jokingly), they'd be older (maybe), possibly the same age as they were when they disappeared (time space hoo-ha's & what not), and would likely only be used sparingly.

Its my eyes ,I think, but I can't see the difference between Macross F VF-17's and the original ones. Except the wing arnaments of course.

By the way I love their colors. After Macross Seven (Red, pink and black...) that kind of calm color is nice for eyes. Anyone can give us a high res pics of that fighters?

Edited by dara made

I'm just wondering if that is two completely different types of FAST Packs/Armour being shown in these two pics.

Graham

they look way different to me. the yellow valk looks like it has full gbp type armor (that is transformable!!) while the red valk looks like it has standard fastpacks.

meh. there's a lot of hollow, unused space on a gundam to fill with inards on a PG kit to make it cool. Not so much space on a valk as most of the internal space is going to be used for stuff like stowing the hands and landing gear, leaving space for the feet/thrusters to tuck into, that sort of stuff.

While it would probably be cool for a valk to get the PG treatment, we'd have to see a damn BIG valk to do the movable frame type stuff.

Anyways, I'd rather continue to have toys with more tampo printing than models.

Well I wouldn't say there's a lot of hollow and unused space on a Gundam because it uses an internal frame where the armor is attached to. A PG kit is the closes thing to what a "real" Gundam would look like inside and out. But I do agree that a big Valk would be the best to utilize PG tech. It would have full internals in all the parts that suppose to have. IMO model kits are more sophisticated compared to toys. Most of you collect and display them anyways and not play with them like a little kid would. And at most you will change the pose once in a while. So wouldn't a highly detailed kit be better suited for that purpose?

Can you make one with SV-51 style thrusters (shins in battroid mode) but with the VF-25 feet? That is probably the only design missing for it to by my dream Valk in fighter mode.

Is the nose really that long? Are the wings set that far back? Or is it the angle?

If so, that design is very, very unstable (CoG would have to be placed far back). With the right FCS, it would be a very, very slick ride in an atmosphere.

post-5495-1195515096_thumb.jpg

BTW, does anyone have any guesstimates on the dimensions? I might want to model it someday.

Well I wouldn't say there's a lot of hollow and unused space on a Gundam because it uses an internal frame where the armor is attached to. A PG kit is the closes thing to what a "real" Gundam would look like inside and out. But I do agree that a big Valk would be the best to utilize PG tech. It would have full internals in all the parts that suppose to have. IMO model kits are more sophisticated compared to toys. Most of you collect and display them anyways and not play with them like a little kid would. And at most you will change the pose once in a while. So wouldn't a highly detailed kit be better suited for that purpose?

My point was, there's no space on a 1/48 or 1/60 scale valk for the internal frame to go... the frame that fills up all the hollow space on a gundam is used for stuff like landing gears, hands, feet, etc on a valk. For instance, on a gundam, the fore-arm can be filled up with little pistons and what not, on a valk, the fore-arm will house the hands in valk form.

The legs on a gundam can be filled with little engines and pistons and rails and stuff, in a valk that same space holds the landing gears and the feet when they collapse in.

As for the superiority of models... I don't want to paint. I don't want to spend hours sniping off little bits of plastic flashing. I don't want to spend hours snapping parts together. I don't want a plamodel who's torso or shoulders or bits of armor routinely pop off during handling. I don't want important parts of the body held together by four little pegs made of 1mm thick plastic nubs. I don't want joints to pull apart during handling because those same plastic nubs really aren't sufficient to hold the thing together. In the end, i think my yamato's are perfectly fine, even gorgeous representations of the line art. I'm perfectly happy with toys.

And again, while I woudln't hate a PG valk, I'd rather they be an optional alternative to my toy rather than the only option out there.

I disagree 100% with the last statement, as I have yet to see Bandai do this so called "simple plane design" well. Those ugly forms that some of the "variable" Gundams transform into do not count one bit, not even the PG Zeta Gundam.

Even if the PGs and MGs have superb articulation, I hate the joints that are offered in the Plamodels, as over time they seem to wear out. I want joints that hold their position.

So are you saying that Bandai is incapable of making a superb kit that is better than a Yamato toy? You haven't seen a well designed plane model because they haven't tried. Gundams are meant to look like humanoids to begin with whereas Valks are meant to look like fighter jets. The same thing can be said about Valks and ugly forms. The battroid mode of the VF-0/1 and some other ones doesn't look very good in battroid mode. They look just like a plane that transformed into a robot with apparent parts of the plane visible. The only Valk design that looks good in battroid mode IMO is the YF/VF-19, YF-21 and now the VF-25 where they don't look like it can transform into a plane and be just a regular humanoid robot.

I do agree that earlier MG/ PG kits develop loose joints over time. The newer MG and PG kits don't use "pc" joints as much. The new Zeta and MKII 2.0 kits are solid. So are you saying that joints on toys will stay tight and will never become loose??

So are you saying that Bandai is incapable of making a superb kit that is better than a Yamato toy? You haven't seen a well designed plane model because they haven't tried. Gundams are meant to look like humanoids to begin with whereas Valks are meant to look like fighter jets. The same thing can be said about Valks and ugly forms. The battroid mode of the VF-0/1 and some other ones doesn't look very good in battroid mode. They look just like a plane that transformed into a robot with apparent parts of the plane visible. The only Valk design that looks good in battroid mode IMO is the YF/VF-19, YF-21 and now the VF-25 where they don't look like it can transform into a plane and be just a regular humanoid robot.

I do agree that earlier MG/ PG kits develop loose joints over time. The newer MG and PG kits don't use "pc" joints as much. The new Zeta and MKII 2.0 kits are solid. So are you saying that joints on toys will stay tight and will never become loose??

He was refering to YOUR statement:

If Bandai uses their modeling technology that they have accumulated over the years, a PG VF-25 would be the ultimate air craft model and the greatest thing ever conceived. But IMO plane designs in general are too simple to fully utilize PG tech and the recent MG tech will be sufficient enough.

Your gross generalization that plane designs are too simple. He was pointing out that he has not seen Bandai produce a transforming plane design that looks anything like a plane.

My point was, there's no space on a 1/48 or 1/60 scale valk for the internal frame to go... the frame that fills up all the hollow space on a gundam is used for stuff like landing gears, hands, feet, etc on a valk. For instance, on a gundam, the fore-arm can be filled up with little pistons and what not, on a valk, the fore-arm will house the hands in valk form.

The legs on a gundam can be filled with little engines and pistons and rails and stuff, in a valk that same space holds the landing gears and the feet when they collapse in.

As for the superiority of models... I don't want to paint. I don't want to spend hours sniping off little bits of plastic flashing. I don't want to spend hours snapping parts together. I don't want a plamodel who's torso or shoulders or bits of armor routinely pop off during handling. I don't want important parts of the body held together by four little pegs made of 1mm thick plastic nubs. I don't want joints to pull apart during handling because those same plastic nubs really aren't sufficient to hold the thing together. In the end, i think my yamato's are perfectly fine, even gorgeous representations of the line art. I'm perfectly happy with toys.

And again, while I woudln't hate a PG valk, I'd rather they be an optional alternative to my toy rather than the only option out there.

I disagree that a 1/48 or 1/60 will not have space. It all comes down to engineering of the parts and how they come together. Bandai is best at doing that. If there is no space in a 1/48 or 1/60, there won't be space in the "real" fighter in the anime. How does the hands, feet and landing gears fit in the plane in the anime?? A few scenes in Macross Zero shows all the internal workings of the VF-0 so it sure isn't hollow besides the hands, feet and land gear. They all have mechanical explanations for it. All that detail can be scaled down.

And I never said models are superior to toys. I only said they are more sophisticated. Model kits allow you to create your own paint scheme and do your own unique modifications. Sure you can repaint a toy but how good will the outcome be? Certain parts will get in the way. Will you want to take the risk of breaking your expensive toy by prying off parts so you can repaint it? IMO it all comes down to personal preference. I prefer models because I want to feel like I created something instead of take a toy out of a box. I want to look at it and say "hey, I put that thing together". And if you can't be careful while handling a model then hey, maybe a toy is the way to go.

I disagree that a 1/48 or 1/60 will not have space. It all comes down to engineering of the parts and how they come together. Bandai is best at doing that. If there is no space in a 1/48 or 1/60, there won't be space in the "real" fighter in the anime. How does the hands, feet and landing gears fit in the plane in the anime?? A few scenes in Macross Zero shows all the internal workings of the VF-0 so it sure isn't hollow besides the hands, feet and land gear. They all have mechanical explanations for it. All that detail can be scaled down.

And I never said models are superior to toys. I only said they are more sophisticated. Model kits allow you to create your own paint scheme and do your own unique modifications. Sure you can repaint a toy but how good will the outcome be? Certain parts will get in the way. Will you want to take the risk of breaking your expensive toy by prying off parts so you can repaint it? IMO it all comes down to personal preference. I prefer models because I want to feel like I created something instead of take a toy out of a box. I want to look at it and say "hey, I put that thing together". And if you can't be careful while handling a model then hey, maybe a toy is the way to go.

dude, what's the point of a PG kit versus a MG kit? The internal frame, right? Where would the frame go in a valk? You keep talking about all this other crap when all I'm saying is that the space that's used in a PG kit for the imagined machincals of a gundam, would be used to stow-away parts on a valk.

And really? Are you really saying that a 1/60th scale toy is an exact reproduction of what the insides of a real fighter is like? That's just sad dude.

He was refering to YOUR statement:

Your gross generalization that plane designs are too simple. He was pointing out that he has not seen Bandai produce a transforming plane design that looks anything like a plane.

Again, he hasn't seen one because Bandai haven't tried. Gundams are not meant to look like planes. And transforming Gundams are not meant to look like planes. Maybe with the exception of the Air Master in Gundam X. 10020411t.jpg10020416t.jpg Look at Bandai's 1/65 DX line and Yamato's 1/72 line. They both look similar and looks pretty good considering when they were released. And saying that Bandai is incapable of making one as good or better than Yamato's is ridiculous. And in fact, Bandai has the advantage of their modeling technology and can apply it to their toys. They just haven't been serious about it.

dude, what's the point of a PG kit versus a MG kit? The internal frame, right? Where would the frame go in a valk? You keep talking about all this other crap when all I'm saying is that the space that's used in a PG kit for the imagined machincals of a gundam, would be used to stow-away parts on a valk.

And really? Are you really saying that a 1/60th scale toy is an exact reproduction of what the insides of a real fighter is like? That's just sad dude.

It's not just the internal frame. It's the detail that goes into it. A Valk doesn't necessary need an internal frame so to speak. In the case of a Valk, internal detail would replace the frame. Are you saying that in a Valk, there is nothing else besides the hands, feet, landing gears?? Come on. What about everything else that makes it work??

I never said that a 1/60 toy is an exact reproduction of what a a real fighter is like. I said it is the closest thing to what it would look like.

First of all, I only disagree with you on one statement you made, so don't start taking itas a personal affront. Also, I did not say that joints on toys will stay tight and never become loose. But I will damn well say that toy joints stay tighter a hell of a lot longer and also a hell of a lot easier to fix than a Plamodel.

And without going to too much nitpicking, my definition of fix is something that will take five minutes and last just as long as I had owned the toy for. :rolleyes: